Brit, 73, dies and 23 are injured, seven critically, when extreme turbulence hits Singapore Airlines flight from UK

When I fly, I notice that as soon as the seat belt sign goes off (accompanied by an audible tone) I immediately hear “click click click click” all around as passengers immediately remove their seatbelts.

Is it really that difficult to keep them on during the flight?

I really think that seatbelts should be required to be worn (instead of just recommended) while passengers are seated during the flight.

Absolutely!

Whenever I fly I never leave my seat and am wrapped by a seatbelt like a Christmas present :D

But then,
I only travel across Europe and the flights are short.
Thank Goodness!

Flight attendants are busy bringing delicious snacks and drinks and a flight passes quickly with me munching happily and admiring beautiful views of landscapes below or clouds ;)

I don't know what a turbulence is.
Never experienced one.
Phew!
Lucky me.

Last edited:
Absolutely!

Whenever I fly I never leave my seat and am wrapped by a seatbelt like a Christmas present :D

But then,
I only travel across Europe and the flights are short.
Thank Goodness!

Flight attendants are busy bringing delicious snacks and drinks and a flight passes quickly with me munching happily and admiring beautiful views of landscapes below or clouds ;)

I don't know what a turbulence is.
Never experienced one.
Phew!
Lucky me.
I’ve experienced mild to moderate turbulence quite a few times, severe turbulence a few times, and very severe turbulence on one flight. But then, I have been a frequent flyer for years.

I always keep my seat belt on and seldom get up from my seat to use the restroom. Only on long flights or international flights.

LONDON (AP) — Twelve people were injured when a Qatar Airways plane flying from Doha to Dublin on Sunday hit turbulence, airport authorities said. Eight of the injured were hospitalized.

Dublin Airport said in a statement that flight QR017, a Boeing 787 Dreamliner, landed safely as scheduled before 1 p.m. (1200 GMT).

It

Singapore Airlines is changing its seat belt policy for cabin services following the turbulence incident that resulted in dozens of injured passengers on a flight between London and Singapore. One passenger passed away from a heart attack during the event.

In a statement to Simple Flying, the carrier confirmed that it would suspend the service of hot drinks and meals when the seatbelt sign is on. Singapore Airlines added that its cabin crew members will continue advising passengers to remain in their seats with their seatbelts secured as part of a more cautious approach to managing in-flight turbulence.

"Brit, 29, on jet-plunge Singapore Airlines flight that left grandfather, 73, dead

reveals he suffered six neck and spine fractures

after plane was hit by turbulence.

1717348190379.png

Bradley Richards, 29,
said he was knocked unconscious and woke up with blood pouring out his head
after Flight SQ321 hit turbulence over Myanmar.

Mr Richards said:
'I was asleep or I think I might have been knocked unconscious when it happened.

I remember waking up and my head was just pouring with blood,
kids were screaming,
people running around everywhere,
it was so frantic.

It was like something out of a movie.

I remember I felt the back pain straight away
and blood was just pouring from my head.

I tried to use my cushion to stem the blood -
one of the ones they hand out for on the flights.

Once we landed,
I was near the back of the plane and I remember the medical staff running on and having to step over all the injured people on the floor.

They couldn't get a stretcher to me so I was supported off the plane.

I told them about my spinal pain and the workers had to pick me up,
support me under my armpits and carry me to a wheelchair'.

Doctors have told Mr Richards
it's unlikely
he'll able to return to work in his current role as an engineer.

He said:
'It's just gutting - I've worked in that role for seven years
and I couldn't imagine doing anything else.'

Mr Richards has been receiving treatment in a hospital in Bangkok
and is currently unsure when he'll be able to return to the UK.

He suffered multiple fractures to the spine and neck,
a spinal epidural hematoma and a laceration to his head requiring 20 stitches."

:(

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members