ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Died in Apparent Homicide, Moscow, 13 Nov 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
This is actually going to be my first post on WS, but I wanted to add this information as (kind of) an insider. I did not know these students personally but I attend Washington State University in Pullman, which is about 20 minutes from Moscow, and all WSU and UofI students received the alert and shelter-in-place yesterday afternoon. I know people from high school who attend UofI that knew the victims personally, they were in their sororities and fraternity.
I wanted to provide a bit of credibility before speaking on some things because I am hearing a lot of misinformation in this thread. As someone who started using this website for similar reasons as you all, I am fortunate to get the chance to provide information about a crime that happened so close to my community. This was a devastating loss and something that IMO should never have happened.
Of course, there is run-of-the-mill gossip that occurs on social media and on campus. But students know just about as much as MSM is putting out. There are a few reporters on Twitter that I believe have been reporting this tragic event accurately, and they might even have knowledge from law enforcement that they are not allowed to release yet because that must go through the prosecuting attorney first.
I feel like I need to clarify several things: it has never been stated that this was a result of gun violence. MSM has confirmed this. They have also confirmed that the crime was not perpetuated by any of the victims themselves. This was not a murder-suicide. UofI as well as Moscow Police have repeatedly stated that this is being investigated as homicide, so carbon monoxide poisoning or substance overdose is not a possibility. The coroner hasn't even performed autopsy reports yet, so we cannot speculate on any cause of death yet. From what I've read, the coroner is set to perform the autopsies on Wednesday, so if they choose to release cause of death we can look for more answers at that time.
As for the perpetrator, this is where I fall short. As a student, I was in disbelief to think that a crime of this magnitude could happen in a community so close to me. I am the same age as the victims. The only statements we have heard are from the president of UofI and Moscow Police press releases. How are we supposed to believe that "there is no active threat to the community" when we have not heard whether there is a suspect in custody or not? We do not even know that ever had a suspect to begin with. This is all that we have been told at this time.
I hoped to keep this as brief as possible, but I felt like I had a duty to clear things up. I enjoy the community of WS and just wanted to make sure we are honoring the victims and their families, as curious as we may be.
I am open to answering any questions to the best of my knowledge.

To Admin: please let me know if I need to confirm any of this information with links to sources. I am happy to provide.

Some updates here, including time of death

‘We certainly have a crime’: Police search for suspect in University of Idaho homicides

Even as details remain scant while a homicide investigation continues to unfold, Moscow police on Monday evening told the Idaho Statesman that they are actively searching for a suspect after finding four University of Idaho students dead at a home just off campus Sunday afternoon. Moscow police Capt. Anthony Dahlinger declined to say whether he would characterize the deaths as violent, but reaffirmed that each of the deceased students is considered a victim. None of the four students are believed responsible for the deaths that have torn a sudden hole in the college-focused North Idaho city, he said. “All I can say is the deaths are ruled a homicide at this point, and homicide and murder are synonymous,” Moscow police Capt. Anthony Dahlinger told the Statesman by phone. “We certainly have a crime here, so we are looking for a suspect.”
Moscow Mayor Art Bettge revealed in a phone interview with the Statesman that the crime happened early Sunday morning, between 3 and 4 a.m. Pacific time. Police said they did not receive an initial report of an unconscious student in the 1100 block of King Road until almost noon that day. Ethan Chapin, 20, of Mount Vernon, Washington, was one of the victims. His mother, Stacy Chapin, told the Statesman in a Facebook message that a friend found the bodies.

(Bolded by me)

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/northwest/idaho/article268754902.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:
What a horrible tragedy. My heart goes out to the loved ones of the victims.
I'm an alumni (decades ago.)

What puzzles me the most is saying that they have no suspect in custody, but they stopped the shelter-in-place on campus after only an hour.

If it is not a murder suicide, if one of the four killed the other three (homicide) could the killer have died from fatal wounds by one or more of the others? Then it wouldn't be suicide.
ETA: looks like according to the NYT as posted above, it is not a murder suicide.

Or, could the killer have been found dead elsewhere, and that has not been reported yet?

Could they be questioning someone but not yet calling them a suspect? IDK
@ReadySet , I agree it is probably something along those lines. There
was a recent case in New Hampshire where a mother and two children were killed and people were told not to worry about someone running loose that might be a danger. I believe the POI is a juvenile in that particular case. As for this case, possibly someone who is in a hospital with injuries or who has been placed in protective custody, or in a psychiatric facility. JMO MOO

‘We certainly have a crime’: Police search for suspect in University of Idaho homicides

Even as details remain scant while a homicide investigation continues to unfold, Moscow police on Monday evening told the Idaho Statesman that they are actively searching for a suspect after finding four University of Idaho students dead at a home just off campus Sunday afternoon. Moscow police Capt. Anthony Dahlinger declined to say whether he would characterize the deaths as violent, but reaffirmed that each of the deceased students is considered a victim. None of the four students are believed responsible for the deaths that have torn a sudden hole in the college-focused North Idaho city, he said. “All I can say is the deaths are ruled a homicide at this point, and homicide and murder are synonymous,” Moscow police Capt. Anthony Dahlinger told the Statesman by phone. “We certainly have a crime here, so we are looking for a suspect.”
Moscow Mayor Art Bettge revealed in a phone interview with the Statesman that the crime happened early Sunday morning, between 3 and 4 a.m. Pacific time. Police said they did not receive an initial report of an unconscious student in the 1100 block of King Road until almost noon that day. Ethan Chapin, 20, of Mount Vernon, Washington, was one of the victims. His mother, Stacy Chapin, told the Statesman in a Facebook message that a friend found the bodies.

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/northwest/idaho/article268754902.html#storylink=cpy

“All I can say is the deaths are ruled a homicide at this point, and homicide and murder are synonymous,” Moscow police Capt. Anthony Dahlinger told the Statesman by phone. “We certainly have a crime here, so we are looking for a suspect.”

<modsnip: disparaging LE>

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,
This is actually going to be my first post on WS, but I wanted to add this information as (kind of) an insider. I did not know these students personally but I attend Washington State University in Pullman, which is about 20 minutes from Moscow, and all WSU and UofI students received the alert and shelter-in-place yesterday afternoon. I know people from high school who attend UofI that knew the victims personally, they were in their sororities and fraternity.
I wanted to provide a bit of credibility before speaking on some things because I am hearing a lot of misinformation in this thread. As someone who started using this website for similar reasons as you all, I am fortunate to get the chance to provide information about a crime that happened so close to my community. This was a devastating loss and something that IMO should never have happened.
Of course, there is run-of-the-mill gossip that occurs on social media and on campus. But students know just about as much as MSM is putting out. There are a few reporters on Twitter that I believe have been reporting this tragic event accurately, and they might even have knowledge from law enforcement that they are not allowed to release yet because that must go through the prosecuting attorney first.
I feel like I need to clarify several things: it has never been stated that this was a result of gun violence. MSM has confirmed this. They have also confirmed that the crime was not perpetuated by any of the victims themselves. This was not a murder-suicide. UofI as well as Moscow Police have repeatedly stated that this is being investigated as homicide, so carbon monoxide poisoning or substance overdose is not a possibility. The coroner hasn't even performed autopsy reports yet, so we cannot speculate on any cause of death yet. From what I've read, the coroner is set to perform the autopsies on Wednesday, so if they choose to release cause of death we can look for more answers at that time.
As for the perpetrator, this is where I fall short. As a student, I was in disbelief to think that a crime of this magnitude could happen in a community so close to me. I am the same age as the victims. The only statements we have heard are from the president of UofI and Moscow Police press releases. How are we supposed to believe that "there is no active threat to the community" when we have not heard whether there is a suspect in custody or not? We do not even know that ever had a suspect to begin with. This is all that we have been told at this time.
I hoped to keep this as brief as possible, but I felt like I had a duty to clear things up. I enjoy the community of WS and just wanted to make sure we are honoring the victims and their families, as curious as we may be.

To Admin: please let me know if I need to confirm any of this information with links to sources. I am happy to provide.
Welcome to Websleuths @salander01! (Great username ;)) Thank you for taking the time to log on and share what info you have during what must be a horrifying and stressful time.

(Bolded by me)

Now that the time of death has been released, <modsnip - rumor> If they were sleeping at the time, they could’ve been attacked easily. Even if there had been partying, by 3-4 am most kids are passed out. IMO

(Bolded by me)

So curious how they can have such a narrow timeframe for the crime when the first report of an individual found unconscious wasn’t until 11:58am. Maybe they know that the victims’ devices weren’t used after that time?

Hello all,

As of now, you’ve not provided us with anything not already released by MSM, so it’s fine. However, if members have questions of you that require “inside information”, your answers will be removed unless you apply and are verified as a case insider. (Instructions found here). MEMBERS, Be mindful of this when responding!

Stay safe!

Mad

Hello all,

Welcome to WS @salander01. I’m so sorry you have to experience this trauma at such a young age. Thank you for sharing your perspective with such respect for the victims. If you feel comfortable answering without revealing “inside information,” is there a particular reason you say this “never should have happened”? Or are you speaking generally as we do about any tragedy? We appreciate you joining us as we process this heartbreaking horror.

Last edited:
How are we supposed to believe that "there is no active threat to the community" when we have not heard whether there is a suspect in custody or not? We do not even know that ever had a suspect to begin with. This is all that we have been told at this time.
Thank you for your sensitive and detailed post. Thinking of you and your community at this time. I agree, it’s unnerving. Sending you hugs. Thanks for sharing with us

Welcome to WS @salander01. I’m so sorry you have to experience this trauma at such a young age. Thank you for sharing your perspective with such respect for the victims. If you feel comfortable answering, is there a particular reason you say this “never should have happened”? Or are you speaking generally as we do about any tragedy? We appreciate you joining us as we process this heartbreaking horror.
I appreciate the response. I think I say that partly because it is such an unspeakable tragedy that nobody from this small town area could've ever imagined something like this happening. When we first received the alert, it was not clear whether this was a threat on Moscow's campus or off campus. This initial alert was obviously alarming because it was immediately labeled as a homicide. What we definitely weren't expecting was to get a second update confirming, not just one, but four people deceased as a result of homicide. Late last night was when UofI confirmed on social media that all four victims were students. This meant, to all other students in the community, that we had lost four very young and innocent lives. I say that this is something that should not have happened because, at the end of the day, these were someone's kids who never intended or expected their night (and lives) to end this way.

<modsnip: rumors>

<modsnip: if you have a MSM link to support information shared, post it please>

“All I can say is the deaths are ruled a homicide at this point, and homicide and murder are synonymous,” Moscow police Capt. Anthony Dahlinger told the Statesman by phone. “We certainly have a crime here, so we are looking for a suspect.”

<modsnip: disparaging LE>
I know what you mean about homicide and murder not necessarily being the same; but I took it to mean in this case, they are synonymous. In other words, he's saying that it's not any other category of homicide, it's murder.

This, or that the most likely perpetrator is in the hospital and the hospital is not authorized to release that information yet.
Or maybe the murderer committed suicide some time after the murder and, if so, the police have not released that info.

I can imagine the murderer committing suicide if he knew one or more of the victims and if it was, as has been speculated, a "crime of passion." <modsnip: opinion stated as fact without a supporting link>

Or maybe the murderer committed suicide some time after the murder and, if so, the police have not released that info.

I can imagine the murderer committing suicide if he knew one or more of the victims and if it was, as has been speculated, a "crime of passion." <modsnip: opinion stated as fact>
I’m thinking a suicide as well and they have evidence that they were the perp.

Lucca Musick and Decker Rilenge live in an apartment building next to the residents where the four students were found.

[snip]

Musick said they told a police officer they could hear loud music Saturday night, indicating there was a party going on in the neighborhood. They said parties are a regular occurrence in that area.

Rilenge said they did not hear any screaming or gunshots that night.

I had figured that regular Saturday night noise/music/parties in the area might have helped cover any noise (if there was any to be heard).

MOO.

Where I lived, providing/ selling drugs that result in overdoses is considered murder. Sometimes the "minor" drugs like for ADHD are laced with fentanyl. Many students take them to study harder. Not saying the students took drugs. But surely if it were the case of ODs LE would warn the populace? MOO. So sad.

Targeted or not, ANYONE who can murder four people is a threat to the public.
completely agree. Someone who can murder 4 people is not someone you're safe around even if you're not their intended target, you could probably pretty easy become their target just by annoying them somehow. No thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deluhg01