NY - Former President Donald Trump charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you read the list of 34 charges, many are for the same thing and should be consolidated into one charge. Only one individual, Michael Cohen, is named and the rest are Trump's organization. This is like charging someone for some mistakes their accountant made and won't hold up except in a kangaroo court. Fortunately, the kangaroo court can only go so far until it reaches the Supreme Court, where these non-crimes will be dismissed.

<modsnip: Off topic. This discussion is about Donald Trump>

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip - quoted post, response removed for off topic>

Rampant corruption, collusion with foreign powers, a staggering list of crimes, endless and stupid blatantly variable lies, allowing millions of Americans to die unnecessarily in a pandemic and... Oh yes a criminal conspiracy to overthrow the democratic process by violence?

<modsnip - off topic>

I honestly have to ask, how does anyone support him?

I don't mean the Q people. I mean sane reasonable republicans, how do they justify it? Do they think he's a victim of decades of false reporting and is actually decent and successful? What do they think of the endless and obvious lying (remember his inauguration crowd thing?) Do they think he didn't know about the conspiracy to overthrow his lost election? (if so, surely failing to recognise a coup brewing in his own house is criminal incompetence.) Do they think he reacted appropriately to COVID? What do they make of the numerous recorded calls, tweets, statements, interviews and speeches that showcase his worst tendencies right from the source?

He seems to me such an open monster. He has never hidden his nature in the slightest. Yet there has to be more than just half a country voted for a bad man because they too are bad. That sort of thinking is decisive and as stupid whatever side you fall. The man had to sway nearly half a country, including a huge chunk of ordinary people, twice. I really want to understand it, and what for them recommendations him for office again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arkay, how do these comments prove Daniels had an affair with Trump? I've seen a picture of them together at a golfing event I believe. But that's all I've seen. Is there something else? And how does that prove they had an affair?
Answering your question, he paid her because she filed a lawsuit. Nuisance lawsuits are filed against affluent folks all the time, unfortunately. Some have a basis and some don't. "Throw some money at it" "Make it go away" have become far too prevalent in our litigious society. The defendant doesn't want to be bothered with spending any time on it. I'm guessing the courts don't mind as their schedules aren't jammed with these type cases.
The case has nothing to do with whether they had an affair. The case has everything to do with how the pay off to Daniels was handled and the criminal, financial fraud related to the evidence.

Arkay, how do these comments prove Daniels had an affair with Trump? I've seen a picture of them together at a golfing event I believe. But that's all I've seen. Is there something else? And how does that prove they had an affair?
Answering your question, he paid her because she filed a lawsuit. Nuisance lawsuits are filed against affluent folks all the time, unfortunately. Some have a basis and some don't. "Throw some money at it" "Make it go away" have become far too prevalent in our litigious society. The defendant doesn't want to be bothered with spending any time on it. I'm guessing the courts don't mind as their schedules aren't jammed with these type cases.

You are mistaken that Trump’s arrest was about a “nuisance lawsuit.” The $130,000 paid to Stormy Daniels had nothing to do with a lawsuit. It was paid to keep her quiet before the election. It wasn’t until 2018 that Daniels sued Trump for defamation and lost. See timeline at link.

If you read the list of 34 charges, many are for the same thing and should be consolidated into one charge. Only one individual, Michael Cohen, is named and the rest are Trump's organization. This is like charging someone for some mistakes their accountant made and won't hold up except in a kangaroo court. Fortunately, the kangaroo court can only go so far until it reaches the Supreme Court, where these non-crimes will be dismissed.

<modsnip: Off topic. This discussion is about Donald Trump>

The problem includes the fact that two election laws are involved. One is New York State law 17-152 against promoting a candidacy through unlawful means. The other is the federal limit against campaign donations above $2,700.

In a nutshell: Trump created a false paper trail to hide facts from voters, and he did so in violation of those two election laws, which makes it a crime.

That's true. And keep in mind that Daniels was teaming up with Michael Avenatti at that time. Avenatti has since been convicted of extortion and the theft of millions of dollars. That alone should be enough to throw Daniel's story into the doubtful realm.

But even if Trump did have an affair with her and pay her off, I'm not sure what the problem is. It's not like males haven't messed around since the dawn of time and then tried to hide their indiscretions from their mates.

Presidents of the United States seem to be among the worst offenders when it comes to that.

I really thought the indictment would reveal more severe charges. In my opinion, this is just one more big nothingburger. Only time will tell, but this has the markings of being another flopped attempt to take Trump down.

I really thought the indictment would reveal more severe charges. In my opinion, this is just one more big nothingburger. Only time will tell, but this has the markings of being another flopped attempt to take Trump down.

DA Bragg had one heck of a job, being the first one to charge DT. That makes this not-a-nothingburger. I think it is best described as a history-making burden.

While Mr Trump may be already be dismissing the case as terminally weak, his legal jeopardy, however, does not begin and end in New York. A federal special counsel and a Georgia district attorney are pursuing their own investigations into the former president, and they can now bring charges without the history-making burden Mr Bragg confronted.

Last edited:
The problem includes the fact that two election laws are involved. One is New York State law 17-152 against promoting a candidacy through unlawful means. The other is the federal limit against campaign donations above $2,700.

In a nutshell: Trump created a false paper trail to hide facts from voters, and he did so in violation of those two election laws, which makes it a crime.
Whose candidacy was given more than $2700, on what date and by whom?

When was the false paper trail established? In which election did voters have facts hidden from them?

Trump's next Manhattan court date is Dec. 4, and prosecutors asked the judge to set a trial in January — the month before the Iowa caucuses.

Trump’s lawyers asked that it be pushed to the spring. The judge did not immediately set a date.

I really hate these links to the New York Times because I can't read them with the paywall blocking me.
I can gift them to you through DM.
Let me know the headline of anything you want to read. I can gift an article to an unlimited number of people but each article only counts as one gift by my subscription so the offer is open to everyone. NYT’s sent out a notice encouraging subscribers use our gift privileges to share articles with non subscribers.

DA Bragg had one heck of a job, being the first one to charge DT. That makes this not-a-nothingburger. I think it is best described as a history-making burden.

While Mr Trump may be already be dismissing the case as terminally weak, his legal jeopardy, however, does not begin and end in New York. A federal special counsel and a Georgia district attorney are pursuing their own investigations into the former president, and they can now bring charges without the history-making burden Mr Bragg confronted.

Only time will tell, but at this point, it appears to be a political nothingburger.

JMOO

Only time will tell, but at this point, it appears to be a political nothingburger.

JMOO

The way I see it is .. Michael Cohen admitted his guilt in the matter. and paid the penalty. Because, as a lawyer, he knew they had the proof.
That proof leads back to DT (repayments) Repayments that were evidently fraudulently put through as business expenses.

I am not seeing any reason why Cohen paid for his crimes, and Trump gets a pass.

You are mistaken that Trump’s arrest was about a “nuisance lawsuit.” The $130,000 paid to Stormy Daniels had nothing to do with a lawsuit. It was paid to keep her quiet before the election. It wasn’t until 2018 that Daniels sued Trump for defamation and lost. See timeline at link.

You don't understand my comment. The entire basis for the $130k payment was to make her claim "go away" and the NDA not to disclose it. I'm trying to determine if her her claim had any merit or was in fact a nuisance.

I feel a bit sorry for him. :(

You'd think that some family could have been there as a bit of support.

That is interesting. Not even his wife could cancel her "Spa Day" or whatever she does, to go on a private jet to NYC with her husband. Of course, the entire situation of cheating on her, does make it more understandable. I imagine that things are quite frosty now at home.

Lilibet i feel this is the genesis of this entire situation.

In 2011, Daniels spoke with a reporter about the alleged affair, though the interview remained unpublished until In Touch released it in 2018. In 2016, before the presidential election, Daniels was talking to media outlets, including ABC’s Good Morning America, about sharing her story. However, instead of coming forward, she decided to accept a $130,000 payment for signing an agreement not to discuss her relationship with Trump. The deal was finalized in October.Who is Stormy Daniels, the Woman at the Center of a Donald Trump Scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KreepinSavage