LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the links we had very early this morning said they linked it through a tip -- I copied that statement in the last thread. Hold on, and I will see if I can't find it ... (and will ETA if I do).

ETA: Here it is, at this link: http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120715/NEWS01/207150334/Troubles-follow-suspect

Kinda also made me wonder if maybe there was an eyewitness to place BSL at WB -- as in, someone was with him (besides possibly Mickey, I mean.) I know that LE has basically said that they don't expect to make any more arrests in the case, but ... that doesn't necessarily mean someone else might not have been around for at least part of what happened (especially, in my mind, if this DID begin as an accident). If there was someone else, LE might be dealing with that person in exchange for their testimony. Just a thought.

With his prior history it makes no sense to me that this was an accident. He is a violent predator.
Why was he where he was? Where is she now?

I'm starting to wonderif his crime premeditated. I'm thinking that he thought a great place for a victim would be near a college campus, so he probably took a few rides around campus on previous weekends and even saw Mickey riding home once or twice before. Possibly the very night before. He may have droce his truck at a disrance but followed to see where she'd go. When he saw how dark and quiet souvenir gate and/or colesium were, he thought this is where ill bump and take the girl at knifepoint. MAYBE but I'm not convinced he didn't plan to kill, but spiraled into a rage. MAYBE. Either way, sadly, we all know that he most likely did end up killing. I tend to think it all ended on that dark road in his truck.

It was then that he had to come up with plans for things he didn't expect- her stabbing him, his bloody truck, and IF he didn't plan on killing initially, a body and a bike. Either way, I'm pretty sure the bloody truck and stab wounds took him by surprise totally.

I'm not sure failure to get a change of venue can be appealed. I think appellate issues arise during the trial, not before.

Any legal scholars out there who can address this?

The fairness of the trial can come into play. If he wants and is not granted the change of venue, his appeal lawyer can say that the jury pool was prejudiced because of all of the publicity. The verdict can be overturned.

The fairness of the trial can come into play. If he wants and is not granted the change of venue, his appeal lawyer can say that the jury pool was prejudiced because of all of the publicity. The verdict can be overturned.

If that is the case and they have a strong case against him, is it better to change the venue? What is the cons?

How many people on here are cops, detectives, etc? One verified. Same principle about other poster's comments. (actually, ACI did mention that it is good to get a profile on the suspect) These are opinions...just like 60% of the other comments on here. I don't think you need a degree to brainstorm...if so I think we would still be on thread #1, not #36. I have read quite a bit on the subject, and though I am not a psychologist...I think I can bring it up as an interesting theory to think about. No one ever said triggers are definitely what happened. When I post ideas I have respect for the readers in that they are intelligent enough to take and leave what they want.

Guess, that makes a lot of scents, Ana Banana.. 'Ya don't need a degree to brainstorm'..only a brain..& an MSM link of course...

An FBI friend who majored in psychology at AU said it best, "it was cheaper to major in it than it was to be treated for it'..

I'm starting to wonderif his crime premeditated. I'm thinking that he thought a great place for a victim would be near a college campus, so he probably took a few rides around campus on previous weekends and even saw Mickey riding home once or twice before. Possibly the very night before. He may have droce his truck at a disrance but followed to see where she'd go. When he saw how dark and quiet souvenir gate and/or colesium were, he thought this is where ill bump and take the girl at knifepoint. MAYBE but I'm not convinced he didn't plan to kill, but spiraled into a rage. MAYBE. Either way, sadly, we all know that he most likely did end up killing. I tend to think it all ended on that dark road in his truck.

It was then that he had to come up with plans for things he didn't expect- her stabbing him, his bloody truck, and IF he didn't plan on killing initially, a body and a bike. Either way, I'm pretty sure the bloody truck and stab wounds took him by surprise totally.

I can't shake that feeling either. I feel like he knew her habits...
Brettly having his bike stolen and recovered is bothering me too!
Wish I knew more about that scenario...

I am beginning to think that taking BW's bike was a test run. Sort of a "if I put the bike around here how long will it take to find and report".....ummmm that was too soon, so now let me think....where would I be able to get rid of a bike and not have it found for awhile if ever?.....WB. I wonder how many times he went to WB at different times on different days scoping it out.
Just my mind wandering

With his prior history it makes no sense to me that this was an accident. He is a violent predator.
Why was he where he was? Where is she now?

Don't focus in on my accident comment, then, as it is kind of peripheral to the main idea of my post: Maybe someone else was with him at some point that night ...

ETA: Or even better, try this on: ONLY ONE THEORY -- NOT EVEN MY FAVORITE: He's out with a female friend. Maybe they're arguing or he's distracted. He rams Mickey with the truck. They get out, she's hurt -- Mickey agrees to get into the truck with a couple. Female friend is upset, distraught -- BSL is hesitating to take MS to hospital, maybe because of a combination of "bad experiences with the law and don't wanna go back to prison" and eyeing Mickey as a victim. Says to friend, who's distraught or has to be somewhere early in the morning or something, "Look, let me drop you off, honey -- I'll take her on to the hospital..."

This quickly-sketched-out possible scenario doesn't explain an eyewitness at WB, but it would explain an eyewitness to other crucial things.

I truly do not understand why so many posters take such strong exception to any theorizing that an accident might have been the starting point. Anything could have happened afterwards.

If that is the case and they have a strong case against him, is it better to change the venue? What is the cons?

I'm not a lawyer, just surrounded by them. :) That said, from what I understand, in most high profile cases, if a change of venue is requested and not objected to by the prosecutor, it's to avoid having a conviction overturned and having to go through another trial. It doesn't happen very often.

I'm not sure what the defense will choose to do in this case. Hoping and praying that, if BSL is guilty and IMO, he is, the prosecution's case is so airtight that it won't matter where the trial is held.

This is kinda where my head has been going. I suspect he wanted a rape. Maybe an ongoing rape for several days. But it began with the bump/ kidnapping. With intent of sexual assault. For as long as he wanted.
She fought.
And then things were not like he had planned!
He had never met the likes of Mickey! (I'll bet there's more!)

I believe she fought like a lion!
Thank you Mickey!

I am beginning to think that taking BW's bike was a test run. Sort of a "if I put the bike around here how long will it take to find and report".....ummmm that was too soon, so now let me think....where would I be able to get rid of a bike and not have it found for awhile if ever?.....WB. I wonder how many times he went to WB at different times on different days scoping it out.
Just my mind wandering

I think taking Brettley's bike was done in order to isolate her somehow.
maybe his plan was foiled?.
Sounds like she rarely accepted a ride preferring to ride her bike.
Remember, she always came home. She never slept away over night. She didn't have a boyfriend. * him questioning the hair dresser about her x haunts me now...
eta
go figure he was always riding in his truck all over the place...
Mickey was riding around every where too just not in a vehicle...

I thought LE said they were treating his home as a major crime scene...not that it was one. Does anyone have the quote handy?

I don't think she was ever there, but I guess we will find out someday.
http://1079ishot.com/arrest-made-in-mickey-shunick-case/
BBM:
UPDATE: According to KLFY, Brandon Scott Lavergne of Church Point, LA has been arrested in LPD and Saint Landry Parish Sherriff Deputies are executing a search warrant of Brandon Scott Lavergne’s residence on the 100 block of Elaine Lane in the Swords area. Saint Landry Parish Sherriff Bobby Guidroz says they are there investigating a major crime. He would neither confirm nor deny that the operation was in connection with the Shunick case.

Just my mind wandering

Actually, this makes sense to me. My daughter had a stalker for 4 years plus. We realized at a certain point that he "tested the waters". So, when he struck, he already knew how long it would take LE to show up. He had it down to the minute! He also had been in the army.
He had told us (not verified, maybe to scare) that he had been a sniper. Lots of stories.

I can't shake that feeling either. I feel like he knew her habits...
Brettly having his bike stolen and recovered is bothering me too!
Wish I knew more about that scenario...
Could be BSL saw Mickey and Brettly riding together and figured if he made Brettly's bike disappear he'd have a better chance of catching Mickey riding alone.

I'm not a lawyer, just surrounded by them. :) That said, from what I understand, in most high profile cases, if a change of venue is requested and not objected to by the prosecutor, it's to avoid having a conviction overturned and having to go through another trial. It doesn't happen very often.

I'm not sure what the defense will choose to do in this case. Hoping and praying that, if BSL is guilty and IMO, he is, the prosecution's case is so airtight that it won't matter where the trial is held.

Thanks! That is basically what I have been thinking ... If the case is strong or weak, will the venue matter for the prosecution? IMO they should get the same result no matter where they are, so, why is there a negative reaction to possibly moving a case to another venue?

Main point is this. Did he have unrestricted access to his home? No witnesses? Nobody coming over?
After all, his Dad was in the hospital.
And this would have been after 2:00 a.m.
Just trying to figure out what and where.
We need to find her!
She apparently fought like the dickens! Let's keep up that fight!

Right on!!!

Could be BSL saw Mickey and Brettly riding together and figured if he made Brettly's bike disappear he'd have a better chance of catching Mickey riding alone.

Yes. I know what a stalker does. They prey their stalk.
My daughter and my family have been (for many years) a victim of our predator. (my daughters ex)
They know how and what they are doing. It is creepy as hell and discovered in the most vulnerable of places. Or even not discovered!

Don't focus in on my accident comment, then, as it is kind of peripheral to the main idea of my post: Maybe someone else was with him at some point that night ...

Or even better, try this on: ONLY ONE THEORY -- NOT EVEN MY FAVORITE: He's out with a female friend. Maybe they're arguing or he's distracted. He rams Mickey with the truck. They get out, she's hurt -- Mickey agrees to get into the truck with a couple. Female friend is upset, distraught -- BSL is hesitating to take MS to hospital, maybe because of a combination of "bad experiences with the law and don't wanna go back to prison" and eyeing Mickey as a victim. Says to friend, who's distraught or has to be somewhere early in the morning or something, "Look, let me drop you off, honey -- I'll take her on to the hospital..."

This quickly-sketched-out possible scenario doesn't explain an eyewitness at WB, but it would explain an eyewitness to other crucial things.

I truly do not understand why so many posters take such strong exception to any theorizing that an accident might have been the starting point. Anything could have happened afterwards.

This is an imagination. I do not believe this was an accident. Not with his prior history.
Look, I have been around cons. He is a con. Period. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member