Found Deceased FL - Madeline Soto, 13, Missing Child Alert, 13500 blk Town Loop Blvd, Orlando, 26 Feb 2024 *arrest* #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I’m new here. Why haven’t charges been filed?
Welcome, @ProudMoM1234 !

The short answer is we don't know why charges haven't been filed, but without immediate danger to the public there is no time pressure.

The longer answer is, for SS: he is already in jail on other charges so there is no rush in charging him (probably). For JS: despite any speculation and belief, we don't know if JS has committed any crime to be charged with, and even if she has committed a crime, there might not be enough evidence to substantiate arrest.

I think I’m most bothered by the appearance of a unified family front that included SS when in reality, it seems as tho JS was dependent on her parents for housing and dependent upon SS to take on a defacto parental position, and in the end she let the family throw a milestone birthday party she for whatever reason couldn’t take off to attend.

What do you think is the relevance of this? A lot of people rely on family for help with housing in one way or another (maybe parents help pay for college or a down payment...), partners take on the role of second-parent when needed, relatives take in children while a parent works. All of this is not uncommon. That she couldn't or didn't attend the party probably didn't affect the outcome of what happened...

There is a lot of talk about how JS looked for MS at the school pickup. My opinion is that she only went to to school at all to keep up the ruse of MS disappearing from the way to school. Her behaviour of not searching and inconsistencies in her statements lead me to believe she knew MS was already dead.

She appears to me to be a vulnerable person with mental health issues that was taken advantage of by SS. I think she was in a manic phase during the press interviews which explains the shaking and lack of eye contact.

Perhaps because JS and SS were pushing a "she's run off" theory very early on. So, Maddie leaving her phone at home would mean that conveniently for Maddie the phone could not be used to track her.
possibly, but ultimately it morphed quickly into 'she may have been taken'. running away infers a past or present conflict which JS said there wasnt any that would cause Madeline to take off and further, she was not the type to run away...heard the same thing from Madeline's aunt in the short media clip...emphasized she was not a runaway.

but then the 'woods' communication was revealed in the press conference.

When Sheriff Mina was asked at the press conference when Madeline posted/texted about the woods, he did not say when Madeline made that post/text nor to who, he only said that it was before she turned 13...her actual birth date was thurs. Feb 22. 'when and to who' is another missing piece (for us).

Sheriff Mina said that text/post was the only indication there was turmoil in the home. as it stands alone with no preceding or continuation of an exchange, I wouldnt necessarily interpret that text/post as a home life issue. context is needed which IMO, LE has additional posts/texts made by Madeline to come to that conclusion.

Im curious about Madeline's phone history and what, if anything, was deleted and if so, when did that occur considering JS mentions checking her phone messages and 'deleted' messages.

more missing pieces (for us): the last time Madeline used her phone or laptop. and: where were all 3 of them after the party?

There is a lot of talk about how JS looked for MS at the school pickup. My opinion is that she only went to to school at all to keep up the ruse of MS disappearing from the way to school. Her behaviour of not searching and inconsistencies in her statements lead me to believe she knew MS was already dead.

She appears to me to be a vulnerable person with mental health issues that was taken advantage of by SS. I think she was in a manic phase during the press interviews which explains the shaking and lack of eye contact.
I don’t think JS was in the midst of a manic episode during those press interviews. My mom has bipolar disorder and JS’ behavior looks nothing like mania, IME. There’s no rapid or pressured speech, no racing thoughts, nothing to indicate she’s feeling overconfident or having grandiose thoughts. She’s not easily distracted, her thoughts are cohesive and easy to understand, and she doesn’t appear to be feeling euphoric or agitated. The lack of eye contact and leg shaking are more indicative of anxiety, IMO.

I don’t think JS was in the midst of a manic episode during those press interviews. My mom has bipolar disorder and JS’ behavior looks nothing like mania, IME. There’s no rapid or pressured speech, no racing thoughts, nothing to indicate she’s feeling overconfident or having grandiose thoughts. She’s not easily distracted, her thoughts are cohesive and easy to understand, and she doesn’t appear to be feeling euphoric or agitated. The lack of eye contact and leg shaking are more indicative of anxiety, IMO.
I agree that I wouldn’t view her as manic in that interview. JMO. I’m not that kind of doctor.

Maddie - mom didn’t think she knew her own address. But mom DID think she may have gone to grans office.
How far is grandma's office from school? And how would she have gotten there? Did she walk? If she didn't know how to get home how did she know how to get to grandma's workplace?

I was also going to ask "and why would she ask a friend's mom to give her a ride to grandma's work instead of home" before I remembered why she may not be itching to go straight home....

On the note of asking for a ride: why not ask a friend to borrow a phone?
While it is possible, and maybe even likely MS would not know her mom's phone number, we know she had social media. So she could have reached out via other methods. In theory, of course, as she was no longer alive... :(

That also always stood out as troubling to me right away too. MS didn't have her phone that day, but I assume 99.99% of the rest of the kids did. Kids don't forget phones. I could see MS maybe getting to the car and realizing she didn't have it and going back inside. They start the day checking in with friends, scanning social, listening to music. Just doesn't happen, IMO.

On the note of asking for a ride: why not ask a friend to borrow a phone?
While it is possible, and maybe even likely MS would not know her mom's phone number, we know she had social media. So she could have reached out via other methods. In theory, of course, as she was no longer alive... :(

That also always stood out as troubling to me right away too. MS didn't have her phone that day, but I assume 99.99% of the rest of the kids did. Kids don't forget phones. I could see MS maybe getting to the car and realizing she didn't have it and going back inside. They start the day checking in with friends, scanning social, listening to music. Just doesn't happen, IMO.
OK, so let's say Maddie forgot her phone. JS has stated that. Then why didn't she, or her unemployed 'favor granter' (SS) take it to her once JS saw she left it at home? You know, just in case Maddie needed it to reach out to her mom for something important during the day? Why? Because she didn't forget her phone so need to drove over and drop it off for her.

OK, so let's say Maddie forgot her phone. JS has stated that. Then why didn't she, or her unemployed 'favor granter' (SS) take it to her once JS saw she left it at home? You know, just in case Maddie needed it to reach out to her mom for something important during the day? Why? Because she didn't forget her phone so need to drove over and drop it off for her.
Right? Come to think of it, why didnt he dump it with the knapsack? If she normally took it with her? What bird brained plan was that part of?

Hi I’m new here and I got introduced to this site from a show called forensic files and there’s a story on there where the woman uses this site , so I thought I’d check it out
Welcome, @ProudMoM1234!

The TV show you mentioned is probably popular with lots of us here — you are in good company. To get all the background, check out the first page of the first thread for this case.

And the media site for this case will have most of the highlight articles, maps, photos, court filings that are available, etc. — no discussions so it’s a faster read.

Look forward to reading your posts with insights you share. Again, welcome!

Because the phone could be tracked. He’d have to turn it off first, which would be an incredibly suspicious last ping.
I know you're right, except I dont know if he was smart enough to think it through, could have been dropped in the woods by the church? why keep it? Maybe it's nothing, maybe it was another stall tactic. Who know's how that guy thinks?

We know full well why SS didn't take the cell phone to her school, but if JS had nothing to do with this, I honestly can't think of a single reason why she *should* have taken it to school.

-- She was planning to pick up MS right after school, anyway.
-- The school might have a "phones silenced and stowed in lockers" policy during the school day, like our jr high does.
-- Bringing the phone to the office might've gotten MS reprimanded for said policy.
-- JS had a reason not to take MS to school herself that morning (speculation only: exhaustion? she had taken a sleep aid or other drowsiness-inducing medication? she was having a bad morning, mental-health wise?) If I was too exhausted to drive safely, had taken a medication that left me unsafe to drive, was not in a calm state of mind to drive or any combination of the three and had already made the responsible decision not to drive my child to school, I certainly wouldn't risk the drive to deliver a non-essential personal item.
-- I think it's entirely possible MS had left her phone at home before and the family policy was *not* to turn around and get it once they'd left for school, nor to deliver it to the school.
-- Also, I wouldn't consider it suspicious if it turns out JS had not taken the phone with her to pick up MS from school. Making MS wait a little longer for a forgotten item vs having it waiting in the car is just a parenting technique, natural consequences and all that. ("Oh, you left it at home? I didn't see it either, but I'm sure it's right where you left it.")

We know full well why SS didn't take the cell phone to her school, but if JS had nothing to do with this, I honestly can't think of a single reason why she *should* have taken it to school.

-- She was planning to pick up MS right after school, anyway.
-- The school might have a "phones silenced and stowed in lockers" policy during the school day, like our jr high does.
-- Bringing the phone to the office might've gotten MS reprimanded for said policy.
-- JS had a reason not to take MS to school herself that morning (speculation only: exhaustion? she had taken a sleep aid or other drowsiness-inducing medication? she was having a bad morning, mental-health wise?) If I was too exhausted to drive safely, had taken a medication that left me unsafe to drive, was not in a calm state of mind to drive or any combination of the three and had already made the responsible decision not to drive my child to school, I certainly wouldn't risk the drive to deliver a non-essential personal item.
-- I think it's entirely possible MS had left her phone at home before and the family policy was *not* to turn around and get it once they'd left for school, nor to deliver it to the school.
-- Also, I wouldn't consider it suspicious if it turns out JS had not taken the phone with her to pick up MS from school. Making MS wait a little longer for a forgotten item vs having it waiting in the car is just a parenting technique, natural consequences and all that. ("Oh, you left it at home? I didn't see it either, but I'm sure it's right where you left it.")
Yeah. There is a list of things that raise eyebrows in regards to her potential involvement, but this phone thing doesn’t move the needle at all for me.

If I left my phone at home at that age, there’s no way it was getting dropped off.

There’s no need if you’re going straight from the school to the car.

The other thing I find weird with MS phone is SS lie about seeing her look in her backpack for her headphones.

So much lying there.

For one, she wasn't alive.

But her backpack was in the dumpster and her phone was at home, so what was the poor no longer alive child going to plug these headphones into?

Just ridiculous.

I don't find it suspicious if JS did not deliver the phone, just extremely unlikely a teen would leave the house without it. With a few exceptions, their generation is simply different.They lose their phone, either physically or lose the privilege to use it, and it is akin to losing a limb. I think older generations have a lot more variety. Some are more like this, others rarely use. I sometimes forget mine, and mainly carry it for safety/emergencies. At my stage of life, I find it annoying. My sons? They have forgotten wallets, keys, glasses, textbooks, lunches, all common sense lol...a phone once was dropped in a public toilet, and that was a crisis lol but never forgotten at home. The moment they wake up, they'e texting friends. MS was well-liked, and she had just had a birthday party. She would have been ON HER PHONE chatting about it that morning with friends getting ready for school, in the car with SS--if she was alive.

The other thing I find weird with MS phone is SS lie about seeing her look in her backpack for her headphones.

So much lying there.

For one, she wasn't alive.

But her backpack was in the dumpster and her phone was at home, so what was the poor no longer alive child going to plug these headphones into?

Just ridiculous.

I don't find it suspicious if JS did not deliver the phone, just extremely unlikely a teen would leave the house without it. With a few exceptions, their generation is simply different.They lose their phone, either physically or lose the privilege to use it, and it is akin to losing a limb. I think older generations have a lot more variety. Some are more like this, others rarely use. I sometimes forget mine, and mainly carry it for safety/emergencies. At my stage of life, I find it annoying. My sons? They have forgotten wallets, keys, glasses, textbooks, lunches, all common sense lol...a phone once was dropped in a public toilet, and that was a crisis lol but never forgotten at home. The moment they wake up, they'e texting friends. MS was well-liked, and she had just had a birthday party. She would have been ON HER PHONE chatting about it that morning with friends getting ready for school, in the car with SS--if she was alive.
You would think she would also have been on her phone after the birthday party, telling her friends all about it. I find their assertion that she came home from the party and went right to bed without ever going online or doing anything on her phone far more bizarre than anything that did or didn't happen with her phone after she was dead. It really makes me wonder how that whole night unfolded.

Nah. I see no reason why a parent would need to drive out of their way to and from the out of area school to drop a phone off to their student. They’re in school. They’re safe. If they need anything, they could ask the office to call mum. They also have their laptops from the schools and could just as easily email a parent if desperate. I don’t find it odd or unreasonable that no one brought her cell phone to her that day especially if a parent was to collect them after class vs say a school bus or them having a walk home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drena519