Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cast iron skillet won out. I pulled some carrots from the garden and used the last of the spinach from the garden. I sauted minced onion, minced garlic and diced carrots first. Then added the sugar snap peas (also from the garden). Added the spinach to let it wilt. After a few minutes I decided to add a little purple cabbage that I made.

I thought my veggie medley would taste good on a bed of rice so I made that too. Now I should be ready with meals for treatment week. Good home cooked healthy food to choose from.

The cookie dough is in the freezer too. More than half of it will go to kiddos house. I didn't bother to bake any today.

Attachments

• IMG_3270.jpeg
    IMG_3270.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3271.jpeg
    IMG_3271.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3272.jpeg
    IMG_3272.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3275.jpeg
    IMG_3275.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3274.jpeg
    IMG_3274.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 14
You are very kind to visit your friend’s dad. His state sounds so similar to my own dad (now passed). Mine had advanced glaucoma and severe hearing loss—and then eventually dementia on top of all that. He was “grumpy” and negative, too (an understatement, in my case). So I empathize and sympathize with your friend, who finds it difficult spending time with him. I am sure your friend appreciates you beyond measure.

I love sunflowers, too. I once planted one of those giant ones. Every year since, multiple sunflowers sprout up everywhere! But the funny thing is, none are ever the single giant flower type. They are a single stalk but with multiple small sunflowers. The finches here love them. I never knew they like to eat the leaves! I don’t mind it. Do you see them doing that with your sunflower plants, too?
I haven’t noticed anything eating the sunflower leaves.

My neighbor feeds the birds so they line up on my fence & squawk at me when I’m gardening. The 2 huge blue jays finally figured out I’m not the enemy. They don’t buzz above my head anymore.

I have 2 birdbaths so they like to visit my yard. But I haven’t seen any birds on any of my garden plants.

I put the spent sunflowers in my compost pile out back. The birds enjoyed them last fall.

I wouldn’t mind shelling sunflower seeds. However, the ones I’ve planted have not had what looks like mature seeds. Either that or I have no clue what I’m doing. Probably the latter. Ha!

Last edited:
We had a few weeks of above normal temperatures here in Indiana, upper 50s and low 60s, unusual for February. But winter returned this weekend with temperatures in the teens.

So today I made a large pot of broccoli cheddar soup which is a wonderful comfort food.

I packed up 3 pieces of cheesecake smothered in cool whip for my friends Dad. He’s about 95% deaf and has macular degeneration. I’m not sure he heard even 1/4 of what I said. But I could tell he enjoyed having a visitor. He gave me a spade and trellis sticks. The other garden tools were heavy, like an axe & hedge trimmers.

Then we talked about his train table. He says he can’t see it with such poor vision. So time to sell or donate it.

Right before I left I took more sunflower pics with bees!
Does he still have the trains?

My neighbor feeds the birds so they line up on my fence & squawk at me when I’m gardening. The 2 huge blue jays finally figured out I’m not the enemy. They don’t buzz above my head anymore.

I have 2 birdbaths so they like to visit my yard. But I haven’t seen any birds on any of my garden plants.

I put the spent sunflowers in my compost pile out back. The birds enjoyed them last fall.

I wouldn’t mind shelling sunflower seeds. However, the ones I’ve planted have not had what looks like mature seeds. Either that or I have no clue what I’m doing. Probably the latter. Ha!
There is something about some of the multi-color sunflowers being hybrids and not having "normal" viable seeds... the tastiest ones for birds are all plain yellow I think - one big flower head or numerous little ones with black oil or striped seeds. The goldfinches like them here and the bees love the sunflower pollen... my experience.

You would notice the evidence if the birds were eating the sunflower leaves. They usually nibble starting from the stem side, and sometimes if they really go at it, the leaf looks skeletonized!

Not a pic of mine, but one I found on the ‘net of a finch going at it:
IMG_0259.jpeg
https://gardeningnirvana.com/

Last edited:
Please continue the discussion on Thread #7.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members