Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

Has anyone tried this microwave method for poaching eggs?
I’m looking forward to trying it as it sounds so quick and easy.

I have tried the microwave method, even bought a special 2-egg holder thing that goes in the microwave. But I prefer to poach eggs in a skillet. We have eggs a couple of times a week and I usually cook them scrambled or over medium.

Making some pickled cucumbers and remoulade for an attempt at danish hot dog, a "ristet." On the remoulade, ran out of mayo, but luckily, had some vegan mayo leftover in the fridge. The vegan mayo is actually quite nice, and you'd never know it was vegan, so I'm always glad I got it. I'm not a vegan, but I still like to make vegan dishes and use vegan products, the stuff the vegan chefs are coming up with is amazing. Grateful for the vegans!! I "heart" vegans, lol. And sorry, I had "roulade" there before, I meant "remoulade."

Last edited:
I recently discovered something new at Costco. Toom Garlic Dip. It is vegan, gluten free and keto. It’s made with fresh garlic and just a few other simple ingredients. I’m not vegan but I know that it is very popular with vegans, and garlic does have health benefits.

it tastes delicious on its own as a dip but you can also use it as an ingredient in salad dressings and dips, or to make garlic bread. I’ve seen it mentioned on different cooking sites as in ingredient in many different recipes. And vegans use it as a sandwich spread instead of mayo.

Attachments

• IMG_5652.jpeg
    IMG_5652.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 1
I've never had a Hot Brown in a restaurant and don't have a point of reference as to how ours compared to an authentic version of the recipe, but they were actually quite tasty. I read many recipes and took the best features from several to make the dish my own. Sent photos to a foodie friend who thought they looked amazing. For Cinco de Mayo, we are having fish (mahi mahi) tacos with tortilla chips, guacamole, and Margaritas. Enjoy your day!

Well, these are quite sinful!!! Very good with mustard. They were in the freezer section. 5 minutes at 350 degrees or you can microwave them.

Yesterday Lucy supervised the GF chocolate chip cookie baking. She & her Mom are headed back to the panhandle of FL today. I sent a bag of food things for her to give to my oldest. They live near each other.

Attachments

• IMG_4535.jpeg
    IMG_4535.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4536.jpeg
    IMG_4536.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4533.jpeg
    IMG_4533.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4531.jpeg
    IMG_4531.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 11
Just noting, I went ahead and made a "ristet," which I guess is a Denmark hot dog. Grilled the dog, heated the bun a bit on the grill, added mustard and ketchup, remoulade, pan-friend onion, raw onion, and pickled cucumbers. It was really good! I'm now a fan of pickled cucumbers in a huge way.

Ketchup on a dog is blasphemy to me, but I have to admit, mixed in all together, it was awesome.

Another big food recall:

There’s an active recall on two Planters peanut products, according to the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA).1 This is due to a possible Listeria monocytogenescontamination.

The recall impacts the following products:

• 4-ounce packages of Planters Honey Roasted Peanuts with UPC 2900002097 and best by date “04 11 25”
  • 8.75-ounce cans of Planters Deluxe Lightly Salted Mixed Nuts with UPC 2900001621 and best by date “05APR26”

The affected products were shipped and sold in Publix locations in Alabama, Florida, Georgia and North Carolina as well as Dollar Tree stores in Georgia and South Carolina. No other Planters products are currently included in this recall, but if you have one of the above recalled packages or cans, dispose of it immediately or return to your place of purchase for an exchange or refund.

Besides their weekly Rewards and Marketplace Specials, Nino's offers weekend specials for Rewards customers. This past weekend, the Rewards offering was 20% off all meats (except whole beef tenderloin and NY strip steak). We don't have a lot of freezer space and don't like to keep meat around for long periods of time, but there were a few things that we will use in the next couple of weeks. DH got two whole boneless/skinless Bell & Evans chicken breasts, a pound of Nino's chicken Italian sausages, flank steak pinwheel with spinach and feta (London Broil), and two filet mignons for Mother's Day. We will have the London Broil tonight with grilled eggplant. The chicken breasts will easily make at least four meals, and the sausage is enough for two meals. DH passes by Nino's whenever he goes swimming (usually every other day) and can easily stop for fresh fish and veggies which he often does.

Just noting, I went ahead and made a "ristet," which I guess is a Denmark hot dog. Grilled the dog, heated the bun a bit on the grill, added mustard and ketchup, remoulade, pan-friend onion, raw onion, and pickled cucumbers. It was really good! I'm now a fan of pickled cucumbers in a huge way.

Ketchup on a dog is blasphemy to me, but I have to admit, mixed in all together, it was awesome.
I don't like ketchup on anything! Yuck! That said, I use ketchup in my homemade cocktail sauce and in baked beans, and DH likes it on fries, so we always have a bottle in the fridge.

Another big food recall:

There’s an active recall on two Planters peanut products, according to the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA).1 This is due to a possible Listeria monocytogenescontamination.

The recall impacts the following products:

• 4-ounce packages of Planters Honey Roasted Peanuts with UPC 2900002097 and best by date “04 11 25”
  • 8.75-ounce cans of Planters Deluxe Lightly Salted Mixed Nuts with UPC 2900001621 and best by date “05APR26”

The affected products were shipped and sold in Publix locations in Alabama, Florida, Georgia and North Carolina as well as Dollar Tree stores in Georgia and South Carolina. No other Planters products are currently included in this recall, but if you have one of the above recalled packages or cans, dispose of it immediately or return to your place of purchase for an exchange or refund.

it is for possible lysteria so if you are an otherwise healthy adult, might not be the worst thing. Looked this up because SO has been into the honey roasted peanuts, but we are not in those recall impacted states.

I don't like ketchup on anything! Yuck! That said, I use ketchup in my homemade cocktail sauce and in baked beans, and DH likes it on fries, so we always have a bottle in the fridge.
LOL, NO ketchup on hot dogs!! I do the cocktail sauce, too. What about meatloaf, though? I do it for meatloaf and BBQ xtra ingredient in the sauce.

Dirty Harry on hot dogs:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radnewal
Back