IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM OTHRAM AND WEBSLEUTHS! WE ARE TEAMING UP!!

Othram uses a process called forensic-grade genome sequencing, where they extract DNA from evidence left at crime scenes and find relatives of the victim or suspect(s).

This is different from DNA testing law enforcement agencies perform. They use CODIS, a database with people who’ve been convicted of crimes. When there are no matches in CODIS, investigators look for other ways to generate leads.

There are three DNA databases Othram uses to find potential matches: DNA solves, family tree DNA, and GenMatch. All three are authorized by law enforcement to use.

“We help law enforcement agencies infer identities and continue their investigations,” Dr. Kristen Mittelman, Othram’s Chief Development officer said.

This year, Othram helped close 144 cold cases across the country

Very exciting!!

The announcement says "Othram... announced today a strategic investment in the reorganization and continued independent operation of Websleuths..." Does this mean a reorganization of back end stuff us normal members won't notice, or is it more like a reorganization of the forums?

This has been a long time coming. I've followed Websleuths for decades. I found it while researching the 1952 case of Connie Smith. Finally, there is a way to move forward on so many of the cases that seemed hopeless for so long.

Exciting news @Tricia and @othram. Congratulations from the Netherlands!
Van harte gefeliciteerd!

I'm so happy to see this is just what I wrote back in 2020: UNITE, we are so much stronger if we join our skills, knowledge, experiences and our passion for the unidentified and missing.

- Doing a little happy dance -

Last edited:
The announcement says "Othram... announced today a strategic investment in the reorganization and continued independent operation of Websleuths..." Does this mean a reorganization of back end stuff us normal members won't notice, or is it more like a reorganization of the forums?
I too am curious about the reorganization (and continued independent operation) of Websleuths. Reorganized how, @Tricia & @othram? Will websleuths be/look/work/feel different for the members somehow, or will the changes be invisible to us? I used to process reorgs for a large corporation and boy were they anything but invisible to those affected, and even to those that weren't. They were actually quite traumatic for everyone. I realize WS isn't like a large corporation, which is why I'd love to understand how a reorg will affect WS. :)

Also, can you expound on this part of your announcement?

This new chapter will empower us to expand our role in the true crime community and deepen our collaborative efforts in uncovering new leads in cold cases,” said Tricia Griffith

How so? I also remember seeing a post of Tricia's 5.5 yrs ago talking about a different venture:

Websleuths is looking at being not only a popular true crime discussion forum but possibly a TV show. Can't tell you much more other than if this happens so many cold cases and missing person cases will get the attention they all deserve. We need to wake America up to the epidemic of missing persons and murders, especially of women of color, that does not get nearly enough attention from the right people.

Just curious if you're still going down that path. :)

Love the collaboration between your two groups! I was praying that 2024 would be a GREAT year and this change is certainly making it start out great! :D

You can see, right now, an example of how case cross promotion will work. Look at the blue box at the top right of this site. We will experiment with ways to surface unsolved cases over the coming weeks and we would love any and all feedback from the community, as we continuing iterating.

Our goal is to build substantial visibility for unsolved cases. More partnerships are in the works, aiming to increase awareness and funding for these important cases.

I too am curious about the reorganization (and continued independent operation) of Websleuths. Reorganized how, @Tricia & @othram? Will websleuths be/look/work/feel different for the members somehow, or will the changes be invisible to us? I used to process reorgs for a large corporation and boy were they anything but invisible to those affected, and even to those that weren't. They were actually quite traumatic for everyone. I realize WS isn't like a large corporation, which is why I'd love to understand how a reorg will affect WS. :)

Also, can you expound on this part of your announcement?

This new chapter will empower us to expand our role in the true crime community and deepen our collaborative efforts in uncovering new leads in cold cases,” said Tricia Griffith

How so? I also remember seeing a post of Tricia's 5.5 yrs ago talking about a different venture:

Websleuths is looking at being not only a popular true crime discussion forum but possibly a TV show. Can't tell you much more other than if this happens so many cold cases and missing person cases will get the attention they all deserve. We need to wake America up to the epidemic of missing persons and murders, especially of women of color, that does not get nearly enough attention from the right people.

Just curious if you're still going down that path. :)

Love the collaboration between your two groups! I was praying that 2024 would be a GREAT year and this change is certainly making it start out great! :D
The show is on Hulu. It’s great! Called Web of Death

I cannot believe I have just come across this news. This is terrific news! When communities come together, a whole lot more can be achieved. I believe everything counts when it comes to bringing closure to victims' families and for justice. Hopefully this collaboration will eventually lead to that closure and healing for some.

Congratulations and a big thank you @Tricia and @othram.

Amazing Tricia!!
I am so proud of WS for doing all they do ! I once saw real time food donations being prepard and worked out online to an search team ! So many examples of real things happening to help families cope and get stronger during this horrible atfermaths of trama.
I know running this forum is hard work but we respect the heck out of you!!
Your awaesome!

The show is on Hulu. It’s great! Called Web of Death
I had to go look into that because I would have thought I'd know by now if there was an entire TV series dedicated to Websleuthers solving cases. lol It appears it's just 1 episode. Either way, that's very cool!!! :D

Here is the info on the WS episode as well as the other episodes:

ETA an article that talks all about the episode.

I had to go look into that because I would have thought I'd know by now if there was an entire TV series dedicated to Websleuthers solving cases. lol It appears it's just 1 episode. Either way, that's very cool!!! :D

Here is the info on the WS episode as well as the other episodes:

ETA an article that talks all about the episode.

Thank you Gemmie!

Amazing Tricia!!
I am so proud of WS for doing all they do ! I once saw real time food donations being prepard and worked out online to an search team ! So many examples of real things happening to help families cope and get stronger during this horrible atfermaths of trama.
I know running this forum is hard work but we respect the heck out of you!!
Your awaesome!
Hey Soulmagent,
Yes, I remember those days. The KlaasKids Search Center. Our members always came through with food for the searches. Hundreds of searches would show up (depending on the case) and our members always made sure every searcher had food and water.
More exciting times to come :)
Tricia

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant