MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
By eyewitness statements, are you referring to Trevor and Aaron? (Just want to make sure you're not talking about people at Tom Thumb who saw the staring guy.)

Right, Trevor and Aaron. I'm thinking if we take exactly what they said and match it, we could narrow the list down. I know they were young and scared, but we can start by taking their word for it and see where it leads.

~ svh

Added: also, we've got sound, too. We know one of them said it sounded like he had a cold. Why not go on what they said, go through all the pervs close to DR, and see if we get a match?

Btw Shergal, on page 6 comment 430 you might have resolved a question I had for a while now. It might have leaked out how far the dog scent went beyond the track.

You quoted an article that said bloodhounds had traced JEW's scent 100 yards from the roadway. But JEW's prints ended 40 yards from the roadway. If this is true, it further supports the idea that he was carried in a car that was facing the house when he was picked up.

~ svh

I couldn't find anything at page 6 or 430, but glad you got an answer. The white sock was found 100 yards from some road out there also, but they seem to have determined that was not related to Jacob.

It's not much, but we know:
"nasal" voice
5'10"
180 pounds
Affinity or familiarity with outdoors attire
Did one of them say, "commanding presence". If so, that is a Tell. It's a social skill I wouldn't expect.
Idioms (like in Jared case) such as "run or I'll shoot", but basically tendency to threaten violence as controlling behavior

What else did they say?

~ svh

I couldn't find anything at page 6 or 430, but glad you got an answer. The white sock was found 100 yards from some road out there also, but they seem to have determined that was not related to Jacob.

Ok, I found what you meant it's in Thread 6, post 430.

Here: Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - MN MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #6

Like the sock, I can't be sure it followed the driveway though, but it appears to be in that general direction as you would think that would have been mentioned.

~ svh

What is DR height and weight for comparison?

My thinking is that there were 2 people there. And I think the one that grabbed JEW was S1, the unknown male. S2 would have been DR probably. And he would have been sitting in the car waiting. The only reason I can think of a car being used was to improve the time of flight with the incriminating evidence; JEW. What I haven't figured out is why they parted ways when JEW was put into the car. I don't think S2 left the property.

~ svh

DR taught music at St. John's University also. He may have been friends with several priests or monks there who have since been put on restriction out there for molesting young boys. Also in the Rassier's parish, Fr. Tom Gillespie was the parish priest in 1989. He was later removed from there and also put on restriction at SJU for molesting young boys. DR would surely have known him, sine the R family was very active in their church.

I believe we ruled the polka padre out earlier in another thread because ELOC or cGorg found out he was 6 feet tall. Too tall for the abductor.

I believe Father Tom was the priest who had a pilots license. Remember the aerial pic of DR's farm on Joy Baker's blog that someone posted this am? He took that pic while a friend and himself were flying. Also TG was the priest who showed up at the Wetterlings to offer help. Later he was convicted for molesting boys and/Or men.

What is Dr's height and weight in comparison to Jerzak, the man who called 911 and who the boys said was similar in size? Anybody?

I believe Father Tom was the priest who had a pilots license. Remember the aerial pic of DR's farm on Joy Baker's blog that someone posted this am? He took that pic while a friend and himself were flying. Also TG was the priest who showed up at the Wetterlings to offer help. Later he was convicted for molesting boys and/Or men.

it looks like they all have criminal records so it shouldn't be too hard to get H/W and age.

Why was Father Tom sliming around? Trying to see what was known? We sure know it isn't because he wanted to help.

What is Dr's height and weight in comparison to Jerzak, the man who called 911 and who the boys said was similar in size? Anybody?

I wondered the same thing a long time ago. Nobody knows his actual height + weight officially speaking. Wisdom estimated DR to be 5'10" tall. Shay just recently posted that she has seem him up close and estimated DR to be 5'11"-6'0" tall. Given his musculature I estimate his weight to be 180-190 lbs.

Merle Jerzak was 5'10" tall, 195 lbs.

:seeya: Heads up!

Get ready to move on to a new thread. I"ll be back in a few minutes with the link. While you're waiting, gather up some links to bring with you.

:tyou:

here's some more from thread #1

Wetterling, his brother and a friend rented a videotape from the Tom Thumb convenience store in St. Joseph, Minnesota during the evening hours of October 22, 1989. The group rode their bicycles back toward his home at approximately 9:15 p.m. When they were about a quarter of a mile to half a mile away from Wetterling's house, they were approached by an unidentified Caucasian man who was wearing a mask and dark-colored clothing. He was armed with a shotgun or handgun.

The man ordered all three boys to lie down in a nearby ditch. He asked Jacob's brother's age, then told him to run away and not look back or he would get shot. He did the same with Jacob's friend. After letting the two boys go, the man grabbed Wetterling. The suspect walked towards a wooded area with Wetterling shortly afterwards. Neither of them have been heard from again.

Sketches of Wetterling's abductor are posted below this case summary. The boys described the man as being approximately 40 to 50 years old and 5'8 with a husky build. He had broad shoulders and spoke in a low, raspy voice. A Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) psychological profile of the abductor describes him as a Caucasian man, 25 to 35 years old in 1989, who holds a low-skilled job and probably a poor self-esteem stemming from physical deformities such as scars or acne.

Authorities received two possible tips about Wetterling's case during the early stages of the investigation. Witness reported seeing an unidentified man in his fifties sat glaring at customers inside the Tom Thumb convenience store. He was in his fifties, about six feet tall with a large build and receding white hair.

Two months after Wetterling disappeared, an unidentified man molested a twelve-year-old boy in Cold Spring, Minnesota, approximately ten miles from the location of Wetterling's disappearance. The boy had just finished ice skating and was walking home alone when he was pulled into a car and molested. Afterwards he was pushed out. The man instructed the boy to run from the area or risk being shot. The latter suspect's description matched Wetterling's abductor, as did the manner of the crime, but sketches of the two men failed to produce any leads in Wetterling's case.
Around the time Wetterling was abducted, a witness reported seeing a car nearby. That car has always been the focus of the investigation. In February 2004, the car was identified and its owner questioned and cleared of any involvement in Wetterling's kidnapping. Investigators now believe his abductor was on foot rather than in a vehicle.

Rumors floated that Wetterling's father, a chiropractor, was involved in his son's case. Investigators believe that the speculation was created after his father's religion was publicly disclosed. He is Ba'hai, a religion that believes all people are created as one race. Authorities eliminated both of Wetterling's parents as possible suspects early in the investigation. They did consider the possibility that Wetterling's abduction was a hate crime against his father, however. Many officials believe that the abductor may have followed the boys from the store, kidnapping Wetterling afterwards. Wetterling's father believes his son was stalked, possibly for several days, before he was abducted.

In September 2004, authorities investigated whether a Warroad, Minnesota man was actually Wetterling. His co-workers reported to police that he resembled Wetterling's age-progression picture. The man said he was not Wetterling, but refused to confirm this by allowing a DNA test. Eventually investigators got his fingerprints from Arizona, where he had been arrested for a traffic offense. Fingerprints proved that the Warroad man was not Wetterling.

Wetterling's family still lives in the same home they lived in back in 1989, and they have the same phone number. They have received several phone messages from people claiming to be Wetterling, but the calls always turned out to be hoaxes. His case remains unsolved.

Wetterling played hockey, soccer, baseball and football at the time of his disappearance, and he liked to watch those sports on television as well. He also enjoyed playing Nintendo video games and building things, such as model kits. His favorite foods are steak, peanut butter and pizza. Wetterling commonly wears sweatshirts, sweatpants and Nike high-top sneakers. His family members have founded The Jacob Wetterling Foundation, an organization devoted to missing children.

Above Images: Sketches of Wetterling's abductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member