WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron,Media, Maps and Timelines *NO DISCUSSION*

MAY 24, 2019
Update: Jake Patterson will spend life in prison for kidnapping Jayme Closs and killing her parents
UPDATE: The Wisconsin man who abducted 13-year-old Jayme Closs and killed her parents wrote that he fantasized "about keeping a young girl, torturing her and controlling her."

Jake Patterson's writings were summarized by Judge James Babler shortly before he sentenced Patterson to life in prison without any chance of release.

Babler said Patterson had written that "fear of hell" initially stopped him, but he stopped believing in God and began looking for an opportunity. Patterson wrote that he drove around looking for a girl to take but soon realize that wouldn't work, then conceived of doing it in a home invasion.

Timeline of events: The story of Jayme Closs’ abduction and rescue
BARRON COUNTY, Wis. (WXOW) – As the sentencing of Jake Patterson takes place on May 24, here’s a look back of the events that occurred during the entire case.

MAY 24, 2019
Jayme Closs' family satisfied with sentence
The family of Jayme Closs says they are satisfied that the man who kidnapped her and killed her parents will be spending the rest of his life in prison.

[...]

Jayme's aunt, JS, said after the sentencing that this was an important step in helping Jayme to move forward. She said the family believes the outcome will give Jayme some "much needed peace of mind."

Smith said Jayme has made progress, but has much work left to do. She has spent time with her friends, is doing homework, and hanging out with her dog.

[...]

Wisconsin man who kidnapped Jayme Closs gets life in prison

Patterson was also ordered to register as a sex offender, which under Wisconsin law may be required both for an actual sex offense or an attempted sexual offense. Details of Jayme’s time in captivity have not been released, and no charges were brought by prosecutors in the county where she was held.

Man Who Abducted Jayme Closs Sentenced To Life In Prison

5/24/19

Patterson's Statements Read Aloud For The First Time

Judge Babler read some of Patterson's statements that were obtained from investigators. They were, for the first time, read aloud in the courtroom:

• "I started having bad thoughts all the time: fantasies of keeping a young girl prisoner and torturing her and totally controlling her."
  • "After a while I stopped believing in god and stopped fighting my fantasies."
  • "I drove around a lot, just trying to get lucky and seeing a girl alone. After awhile I knew that wouldn't work."
  • "I thought of how I could get away with kidnapping a girl. My biggest problem was always witnesses."
  • "I thought of a home invasion at night. I hadn't thought of whether I'd kill the parents or just tie them up."
  • "Before I did this I thought of taking multiple girls, killing multiple families. I wanted to treat them differently, play mind games with them. I hated everyone but no one in particular."
"When I saw Jayme I instantly thought she would be a good target."

JUN 10, 2019
Jake Patterson's crime spree against Jayme Closs family deserves national study, experts say
Authorities have called Jake Patterson a “cold, calculated killer” and “one of the most dangerous men" to walk the face of the earth for kidnapping 13-old-old Jayme Closs and murdering her parents in their home in Barron, Wisconsin.

But as much as people might want him locked up and never given attention again, studying Patterson’s violent spree could be worthwhile, criminal justice experts say. The details of his offenses should be included in the nation’s violent crime annals, they say.

“Is he worth studying? I think so,” said Jack Levin, a longtime criminologist and a professor emeritus at Northeastern University in Boston, where he co-directs the university's Brudnick Center on Violence and Conflict.

“We really didn’t start studying with any seriousness the worst killers among us until the 1980s. We still don’t really understand where this (behavior) comes from. We’ve made some progress, but we’re very bad at predicting (such violence).

[...]

JUL 10, 2019
Jayme Closs kidnapping: Impact of horrific small-town Wisconsin crime will continue for generations
[...]

Criminal justice experts say the enormity of the crime and Jayme's dramatic escape from her captor will remain in the local and national consciousness for many years.

“In my experience, these types of cases have a very long life,” said Jim Walters, program administrator for the National Criminal Justice Training Center at Fox Valley Technical College. “We have seen families carry this for generations. We have cases 40 or 50 years old about these (kinds of) crimes.”

[...]

JUL 13, 2019
Kidnapping Survivor Jayme Closs Turns 14 Today: 'I Will Always Have My Freedom'
Jayme Closs, the Wisconsin teen who escaped being held captive for 88 days after her parents were fatally shot last October, turns 14 today.

This is the first birthday she’s celebrating since her harrowing ordeal.

[...]
g06027.gif

JUL 16, 2019
Man who kidnapped Jayme Closs moved out of Wisconsin | WTOP
A man who admitted to kidnapping Jayme Closs and killing her parents has been moved to a facility outside Wisconsin.

[...]

State records say he was moved Monday, but do not say where or why he was transferred. The Department of Corrections says his location is not being disclosed for his safety.

[...]

July 16, 2019

Jake Patterson sent to out-of-state prison to serve sentence for Closs kidnapping, murders

Patterson, 22, was transferred Monday from Dodge Correctional Institution in Waupun, online records show. The move comes after corrections staff recommended he be placed in a maximum-security prison outside Wisconsin due to "security concerns based on the publicity this case has received," according to his inmate classification report.

It is not yet known where Patterson was transferred. A spokeswoman for the Department of Corrections said they're withholding that information "for his safety."

Patterson was admitted to Dodge after his sentencing. His inmate report indicates that he was agitated throughout the intake process and said assertions made in court documents were exaggerated. For example, he claimed Jayme was shocked by the attack but didn't cry.

Patterson also told corrections staff that he drank four times a week, taking six or seven shots of vodka, while Jayme lived at his home. He didn't comment publicly about his personal substance use during court proceedings.

[...]

The Department of Corrections spokeswoman also said Patterson was not under clinical observation, or suicide watch, despite a report from an online tabloid saying prison staff considered him a suicide risk.

JUL 25, 2019
Man who abducted Jayme Closs and killed her parents moved to New Mexico
ASSOCIATED PRESS

[...]

The New Mexico Corrections Department has confirmed Jake Patterson has been transferred to one of its prisons from the Dodge Correctional Institution in Waupun, Press-Gazette Media reports.

Wisconsin corrections officials recommended that Patterson be sent to a maximum-security prison out of state due to security concerns because of the notoriety of the case. The 22-year-old convict was moved July 15.

But Wisconsin Department of Corrections officials refused to say where he was moved and removed him from its online inmate locator.

[...]

DEC 11, 2019
Investigative documents release; Coming soon in Jayme Closs abduction case
[…]

The Wisconsin Department of Justice will conduct meetings this week at Barron to inform school staff members, students and parents regarding a “law enforcement records release” (which is) “anticipated as a result of public records requests made to local, state and federal law enforcement agencies,” according to an email sent to Barron Area School District parents.

Two meetings are scheduled today, Dec. 11, 2019, at Riverview Middle School, at which Department of Justice officials will speak with students, and parents and staff from the Barron Area, Cameron and Northwood (Minong) school districts,” according to the message.

[…]

The Department of Justice will send representatives of its Division of Legal Services, Office of School Safety and Office of Crime Victim Services to the meetings, the information said. The Barron County Health and Human Services Department will have mental health representatives present, as well.

[…]

At this time, it is not yet known when the records will be made available, he said.

[...]

Barron County Records Cover Letter/Investigative Reports, click ShareFile

ShareFile contain their audio/video files
--------------------------------
Douglas County Records Cover Letter/Investigative Reports, click ShareFile

ShareFile contain their video files for investigative reports
--------------------------------
WI Division of Criminal Investigation Records Cover Letter/Investigative Reports, click ShareFile

Their media files audio/video are ShareFile

Source for all above links at Wisconsin Dept. Of Justice Releases Jayme Closs Case File

JAN 9, 2021
'Jayme is doing good': Jayme Closs' family celebrates two years since she returned home (channel3000.com)
[...]

“We are very thankful for everything that happened on this day two years ago; for Jayme’s bravery and for Jeanne, Peter and Kristen for all being in the right place, at the right time and keeping Jayme safe,” Jennifer Naiberg Smith, Jayme’s Aunt and guardian wrote. “We’re still very thankful for the community, to the whole world for all caring and being there, and to law enforcement who worked tirelessly to seek justice.”

The post also shared an update on Closs, who is now 15-years-old.

“Jayme is doing good. We take life day by day,” Smith shared. “She is enjoying dance, school activities and many other things as much as is possible in regards to now dealing with the covid restrictions. She is surrounded by lots of loved ones.”

[...]

JAN 10, 2021
Family marks 2 years since Jayme Closs escaped after 88 days in captivity (cbs58.com)
Sunday, Jan. 10 marks two years since Jayme Closs escaped after 88 days in captivity and returned home.

Closs's family posted a message on Facebook in honor of the anniversary, recognizing her bravery and thanking the community for the support.

Her family also shared that Closs, who is now 15-years-old, is doing well and that she is surrounded by a lot of loved ones.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nahnah_2015
Back