MA MA - Rapheal Teken, 37, Eric Weissman, 31, & Brandon Mess, 25, Waltham, 12 Sept 2011

Todashev suspect in Waltham triple homicide

By Jaye Han and Theresa Gaffney
August 23, 2013

Todashev was not involved in the Boston Marathon bombing. He did admit, however, that he played a direct role in the Waltham killings and indicated Tsarnaev’s involvement as well. Todashev told the investigators that the three men were killed during a drug ripoff because he and Tsarnaev were afraid they would be able to identify the friends and tell the police what happened.
http://thebrandeishoot.com/articles/13353

I'm not sure, has this actually been claimed before?

Todashev suspect in Waltham triple homicide

By Jaye Han and Theresa Gaffney
August 23, 2013

http://thebrandeishoot.com/articles/13353

I'm not sure, has this actually been claimed before?
Yes, this came out back in May.

Man with ties to Boston bombing suspect admits role in 2011 murders; shot during FBI questioning
Dead Boston bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev and another man — who was killed by the FBI on Wednesday — murdered three people in Massachusetts after a drug deal went wrong in 2011, law enforcement sources tell NBC News.
Sources say that what began as a drug ripoff ended in a triple homicide when Tsarnaev and friend Ibragim Todashev realized their victims would later be able to identify them.
Discussion in this thread started approximately with this post.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - MA MA - Waltham Triple Murder, 12 Sept 2011

An article from Sept 11, 2013..

Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan said in a statement that she would not be able to comment on any specific details pertaining to the investigation because of Rule 3.6 of the Massachusetts Rules of Professional Conduct for prosecutors, which covers trial publicity.

...The investigation is now led by Adrienne Lynch, chief of the DA’s office homicide division, and State Police Detective Lt. Tom Sullivan. Lynch and Sullivan work in conjunction with Waltham Detectives Tim King and Patrick Hart.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/n...-answers-in-unsolved-Waltham-homicides?zc_p=1

(reporting from Ibragim Todashev thread)

It appears there were two major drug busts in Waltham in 2011.

Two friends of Teken and Weissman said they believed the deaths were connected to a massive May 2011 drug bust in nearby Watertown.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...ly-fbi-agent/2

Armenian-Americans Arrested in Major Drug Bust

A fired Watertown police officer has been charged with giving information about an international drug investigation involving millions of dollars and several other Watertown men to the people being investigated, leading to them allegedly intimidating other law enforcement officers, reports the Newton TAB.

More than $2.7 million in drug proceeds in Newton and Bedford in October 2010 was seized during the course of the investigation, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office. After searching Watertown and Waltham residences on May 24, officials reportedly seized more than $700,000 in US currency, seven kilograms of gold bars, 80 pounds of marijuana, four weapons and several vehicles.

The police officer, Roberto Velasquez-Johnson, was charged with conspiring to defraud the government by impeding a drug investigation. He faces up to five years in prison to be followed by 3 years of supervised release and a fine up to $250,000 if convicted.

... Wiretaps conducted by ICE and DEA agents revealed Madarati was involved in distributing marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy, and Oxycodone in and around Watertown, according to Lavoie’s affidavit. He, Soukiasian, Sarkissian, Johnson, and others who were not identified in the affidavit, distributed wholesale quantities of marijuana that Madarati received from an organization in Quebec, according to the affidavit.

...In further wiretaps conducted Aug. 16 of last year through April 20 on cell phones, including calls and texts, belonging to Madarati, Soukiasian, and Idanjian, agents heard Madarati collecting drug money, according to the affidavit. The phone calls were in English, Arabic and Armenian
http://www.epress.am/en/2011/05/25/a...drug-bust.html

In October, 2011, a little more than a month after the Waltham murders, there was a major drug bust in Waltham that involved a former Watertown City Councillor, Gus Bailey (ref).

From The Boston Globe:

A former Watertown councilor was arrested this week and charged with trafficking marijuana at his Waltham warehouse, where police found 1,062 pot plants and 300 pounds of loose cut marijuana, worth around $2 million, along with $20,000 in cash, according to authorities.

The Armenian-American drug bust was mentioned and linked to in the Waltham Murders. Also I found a brief version of the case here:
http://www.justice.gov/usao/ma/news/2011/May/MadaratiSafwan.html

I think its interesting because of the involvement of the former Watertown officer but am not 'feeling' a connection to Tsarnaev, Todashev, or the triple murders.

The other case however seems like it could very easily link to the Waltham murders. Mess and Weissman had been talking about a plan to grow marijuana in a warehouse. Two weeks later, they are dead. Bailey could have seen them as encroaching on his territory. Did Bailey know Tsarnaev and or Todashev?

And, yes it probably belongs on that thread. I read the entire thread over the weekend. It is pretty much wanting for factual information.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=9915509

Originally Posted by i.b.nora
The Armenian-American drug bust was mentioned and linked to in the Waltham Murders. Also I found a brief version of the case here:
http://www.justice.gov/usao/ma/news/...atiSafwan.html

I think its interesting because of the involvement of the former Watertown officer but am not 'feeling' a connection to Tsarnaev, Todashev, or the triple murders. <snip>
BBM... I think one of the links I had said about the same. I don't know about the connection of IT/TT/ZT to the Waltham murders either. Obviously, we don't have much info to go on, but I agree it would be interesting to know if Baily knew Tsarnaev and/or Todashev (or any of them). I suppose it's possible through Todashev's ex and that community? Not sure how probable that is.

The whole Waltham case is still a mystery.

I won't post it because it goes too far in my mind, but there is a far right sight claiming it couldn't be a drug deal thing and claiming it is just too apparent it is some kind of ritual murder associated with radical Islam. That author is questionable in my opinion and it's biased even though some of it is interesting.

I'm not really feeling either of these theories though... I'm just perplexed about it. I hope we get more details sooner rather than later.

"For the first time, prosecutors in the Boston Marathon bombing case confirmed that deceased suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev was accused of participating in a gruesome 2011 triple homicide outside Boston.

A federal law enforcement official told CNN back in May that Tsarnaev's involvement in the killings was revealed in an interview between police and Ibragim Todashev, a Chechen known to him.

But the detail was not confirmed until this week, when prosecutors in the case against Tamerlan Tsarnaev's brother, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, made reference to it in a court document filed Monday.

In the document, prosecutors argue against a defense request for all documents related to Tamerlan Tsarnaev's participation in the triple slaying.

"In any event, the government has already disclosed to (Dzhokhar) Tsarnaev that, according to Todashev, Tamerlan Tsarnaev participated in the Waltham triple homicide," the document states."

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/...s-death-warning-graphic/#.UsGZeUtQG5V.twitter

Abdul-Baki Todashev states in the letter:
&#8220;Did my son know that he had the right to remain silent or did he have rights at all, including the right to live? Being a citizen of another country he might not be aware of the laws as he was only 27 years old and wanted to live so much. No, they left no chances for him inflicting 13 gunshot wounds and multiple hematomas on his body. After what FBI agents have done to him whatever excuses they come up with nobody would believe them because my son is dead and cannot talk for himself. They did it deliberately so that he can never speak and never take part in court hearings. They put pressure on my son&#8217;s friends to prevent them from coming to the court and speaking the truth.
I rely on you, Mr. President, and hope that the prosecutor&#8217;s office and the court do not let the agencies conducting internal investigation on this case prevent the truth from coming to light so that at least some part of our grief, caused by the murder of our son, is relieved, and that the murderers stand trial instead of sit in their desk chairs.&#8221;
Florida State Attorney Jeffrey Ashton is currently conducting an investigation into the FBI killing. Earlier this month, he released a statement saying that he recently received additional information from the United States Department of Justice and would release the findings of his report early next year.
I don't know about some thing the father believes or claims. I think it is a mixed bag, but hopefully we will hear more soon.

Many who have followed this have probably already seen the photos of IT after death shown in this article.

Note: Apparently, these photos were taken in the morgue, but it is not clear whether or not they are the official autopsy photos as a caption at the Ottawa Citizen newspaper states that the photos were taken by Todashev&#8217;s friend, Khusen Taramov.(reference)
but there are two pictures inside the apartment/crime scene that I had never seen. The space looks much smaller than I imagined - is it a studio apartment? Note: photos don't appear to be verified, they were offered by the father and obviously seem to be taken at some later date (guy in the room is on sandals).

The Boston Magazine article says that the photos from inside the apartment were taken about a week and a half later.

I am not holding my breath that we will ever know the truth of what happened. The FBI and The Massachusetts State Police seem to hold all the cards.

The Boston Magazine article says that the photos from inside the apartment were taken about a week and a half later.

I am not holding my breath that we will ever know the truth of what happened. The FBI and The Massachusetts State Police seem to hold all the cards.

Thanks ... I missed that! Yeah, I don't k now, I hope this gets resolved and with some solid evidence, but I'm not so sure either. I'm still not too sure about how the Waltham murders were initially investigated.

Here is the Boston Magazine article:

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/article/2014/02/25/waltham-murders-boston-marathon/

The Murders Before the Marathon

Waltham, September 11, 2011: Three men, throats slit, cash and drugs left on the bodies. Two years later, two dead suspects: Tamerlan Tsarnaev, and a friend who the FBI says was about to confess. One haunting question: Could solving this case have prevented the Boston Marathon bombings?

By Susan Zalkind | Boston Magazine | March 2014

A collaboration with This American Life, airing Fri., March 7

"It&#8217;s nearly midnight in a nondescript condo complex a few blocks from Universal Studios in Orlando, and Tatiana Gruzdeva has been crying all day. Though neither of us knows it yet, as she sits on the corner of her bed and sobs in tiny convulsions, the fact that she&#8217;s talking to me will lead to her being arrested by federal agents, placed in solitary confinement, and deported back to Russia.

Next to us on the bed are nine teddy bears. Eight of them came with her from Tiraspol, Moldova. The ninth was a gift from her boyfriend, Ibragim Todashev. Today would have been Ibragim&#8217;s 28th birthday, but he is not here to see it, because in the early hours of May 22, 2013, a Boston FBI agent shot and killed him in this very apartment, under circumstances so strange that a Florida state prosecutor has opened an independent investigation. According to the FBI, just before Ibragim was shot&#8212;seven times, in two bursts, including once in the top of the head&#8212;he was about to write a confession implicating himself and alleged Boston Marathon bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev in a brutal triple homicide that took place in Waltham, Massachusetts, in September 2011."

Much more, eight page article ...

I haven't read it yet, maybe it should also go in the Waltham murders thread which i am too lazy to find. Or, a link from there to here?

More excerpts:

"September 11, 2011 was a Sunday, and at twilight Erik Weissman was looking for somewhere to spend the night. That afternoon he&#8217;d visited his younger sister Aria at a diner down the street from their parents&#8217; home, but he didn&#8217;t have a place of his own&#8212;he&#8217;d been couch-surfing since the cops busted him on drug charges back in January. He kept his belongings at his friend Brendan Mess&#8217;s apartment on a dead-end street in Waltham, and that&#8217;s where he usually stayed. Erik and Brendan were established pot dealers who occasionally worked together and shared an interest in sports, personal fitness, and designer weed. But Erik had cleared out of the apartment while Brendan was going through a dramatic breakup with his live-in girlfriend, Hiba Eltilib. He had recently been staying with a friend in Newton. &#8220;That chick is crazy,&#8221; Erik had repeatedly told the friend.

That night his friend in Newton was busy, so around 7:30 p.m. Erik drove his Mercedes SUV back to Brendan&#8217;s place in Waltham. It was a warm night, cloudless. Brendan and Hiba had finally broken up, and Hiba had split for Florida, so the coast was clear. Brendan had invited another friend, Rafi Teken, to come over, too. Like Erik, Rafi had been avoiding Brendan&#8217;s place while Hiba was there. Rafi and Hiba were known to get into arguments of their own.

At 7:30, Erik sent a text to his friend in Newton. Shortly thereafter, all three men stopped answering their phones."

BBM - I wonder if this is some clue. Weird that it seemed to be the first night they were all together there for a while - at least that's how the article presents it. So someone must have known that? You'd think maybe an examination of their phones or activities would produce something of interest.

I also think this is all odd...

Brendan and Hiba had finally broken up, and Hiba had split for Florida, so the coast was clear.

It was Hiba who found them, of all people. On September 12, she returned unexpectedly from Florida—most of Brendan’s friends were under the impression that she wasn’t coming back—and after she couldn’t reach Brendan on her cell phone, she showed up at the apartment and asked the landlord to open the door. The bodies were inside. One news report says that Hiba left the house and screamed, “They’re all dead!” Another says she went outside, crying, with blood on her feet, and calmly asked for a cigarette.

Did we ever hear why she returned so unexpectedly. And, is her Florida connection significant?

"He [Middlesex County District Attorney Gerry Leone] told reporters that there was no evidence of a break-in&#8212;that it was likely the assailants and dead men knew one another. Assailants, plural? a reporter asked. Leone replied that there were &#8220;at least two people who are not in the apartment now, who were there earlier.&#8221;"

Have we heard who was there... I think not, but wonder what evidence they have.

I also think this is all odd...

Brendan and Hiba had finally broken up, and Hiba had split for Florida, so the coast was clear.
It was Hiba who found them, of all people. On September 12, she returned unexpectedly from Florida—most of Brendan’s friends were under the impression that she wasn’t coming back—and after she couldn’t reach Brendan on her cell phone, she showed up at the apartment and asked the landlord to open the door. The bodies were inside. One news report says that Hiba left the house and screamed, “They’re all dead!” Another says she went outside, crying, with blood on her feet, and calmly asked for a cigarette.
Did we ever hear why she returned so unexpectedly. And, is her Florida connection significant?
IIRC, the trip wasn't planned in the first place. She and BM had a serious argument, and she left in a huff. I don't think anyone knew if, or when, she planned to return.

IIRC, the trip wasn't planned in the first place. She and BM had a serious argument, and she left in a huff. I don't think anyone knew if, or when, she planned to return.

Oh, could be. The way it's presented, it seemed to me like she just left and went all the way to Florida (and back). Can't imagine doing that after a split or at that age since I wouldn't have had those resources or even think about going several states away! :) But there was probably more time in between the leaving and coming back than I thought.

I guess that makes my query about who knew the three guys were together there less interesting too.

I still think it is an odd coincidence to be explored that she came back right after they were murdered and was the one to find them. I'm not saying she did anything wrong herself necessarily.

"He [Middlesex County District Attorney Gerry Leone] told reporters that there was no evidence of a break-in—that it was likely the assailants and dead men knew one another. Assailants, plural? a reporter asked. Leone replied that there were “at least two people who are not in the apartment now, who were there earlier.”"

Have we heard who was there... I think not, but wonder what evidence they have.

The neighbour who was interviewed, who said she could see into the apartment but didn't hear anything said that she thought there were 5 people living there who she saw going in and out all the time. The other two were probably of that five.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onapick
Back