GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #15 *appeals denied*

From MaconMom's link:

Affidavits: Sounds heard in Giddings’ apartment last night she was seen

The girlfriend of a man who lived in the apartment beneath Lauren Giddings says she saw Giddings’ accused killer toting “a large stick” and later heard “movement” in Giddings’ residence the last night Giddings was seen alive. ...

... (BIDB - initials, the girlfriend) had gone to Barristers Hall apartments on Georgia Avenue on June 25, 2011, with her boyfriend, Antoine Terrell Bostic, according to affidavits ....

...After seeing McDaniel, (the girlfriend) said she went inside Bostic’s apartment, where she heard “movement from above” in Giddings’ apartment. ...
more at: http://www.macon.com/2014/04/11/3042178/affidavit-woman-saw-mcdaniel-in.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1

The "two witnesses" of the headline below are the same as discussed in the link MaconMom posted:

Two witnesses ordered to testify in McDaniel case

A Bibb County judge has ordered a man and woman from Columbia, S.C. (to) ... testify in Stephen McDaniel's murder trial. ...

...Lawyers in the case say the trial could take a month or more, including up to a week to select the jury. ...
more at: http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/local/macon/2014/04/11/witnesses-ordered-mcdaniel-case/7601185/

Seems like only a small amount of info is being released, possibly to cause McDaniels and his defense team to wonder how much evidence the DA has. The article says that Bostic and his GF stopped by the apartments "sometime after Giddings bought food at a downtown Zaxby’s drive-thru that evening, the last time anyone is known to have seen Giddings" (http://www.macon.com/2014/04/11/3042178/affidavit-woman-saw-mcdaniel-in.html). Earlier articles stated that Lauren bought food at Zaxby's around 6:30 p.m., but we don't know what time Bostic stopped at his apartment. Was Lauren's car in the parking lot when Bostic arrived? When he and GF left?

I believe LE knows the answer to that. It leaves open the possibility that the killer was already in Lauren's apartment, waiting for her to return home. This is what I've believed happened, since Lauren used a door-stop device on her door at night.

In the video of investigators removing items from the apartments (http://www.13wmaz.com/video/1050212462001/0/Giddings-Investigators-in-McDaniels-Apartment), one or two long objects was carried out in a bag and people had wondered if they were swords. It looked to me like LE turned to his right from the doorway (left when facing the building) to go down the stairs. IIRC, Lauren's apartment was to the left of the staircase which means the items came from her apartment. If correct, it would be quite incriminating for McDaniels if a large stick was found in Lauren's apartment in light of the witness's testimony.

But, why would the killer leave a murder weapon inside the victim's apartment? If a tree branch was used as the murder weapon, it was likely the killer's weapon of choice because it would be easy to discard. IMO, this was far from the perfect murder and in the end there will be justice for Lauren. :scale:

How does the witness know it wasn't Lauren moving around? What time did this happen? I guess this would establish that McD was at home that night in the period he was seen, but as the story is written, it doesn't seem like a big deal.

Didn't or did the police recover something long, that was wrapped up wehn removed from MD Apartment during the search? And there was mention of swords? Just pondering

Yes. And it definitely was McD's apartment, the third search, iirc. I've looked at that video a zillion times trying to make out what the long object could be. I even got screencaps, but they were very dark. I'm not sure if I posted them or not. But I've brought up the subject a few times because it stuck in my craw for some reason. I really want to know what was in that bag!

Seems like only a small amount of info is being released, possibly to cause McDaniels and his defense team to wonder how much evidence the DA has. The article says that Bostic and his GF stopped by the apartments "sometime after Giddings bought food at a downtown Zaxby’s drive-thru that evening, the last time anyone is known to have seen Giddings" (http://www.macon.com/2014/04/11/3042178/affidavit-woman-saw-mcdaniel-in.html). Earlier articles stated that Lauren bought food at Zaxby's around 6:30 p.m., but we don't know what time Bostic stopped at his apartment. Was Lauren's car in the parking lot when Bostic arrived? When he and GF left?

I believe LE knows the answer to that. It leaves open the possibility that the killer was already in Lauren's apartment, waiting for her to return home. This is what I've believed happened, since Lauren used a door-stop device on her door at night.

In the video of investigators removing items from the apartments (http://www.13wmaz.com/video/1050212462001/0/Giddings-Investigators-in-McDaniels-Apartment), one or two long objects was carried out in a bag and people had wondered if they were swords. It looked to me like LE turned to his right from the doorway (left when facing the building) to go down the stairs. IIRC, Lauren's apartment was to the left of the staircase which means the items came from her apartment. If correct, it would be quite incriminating for McDaniels if a large stick was found in Lauren's apartment in light of the witness's testimony.

But, why would the killer leave a murder weapon inside the victim's apartment? If a tree branch was used as the murder weapon, it was likely the killer's weapon of choice because it would be easy to discard. IMO, this was far from the perfect murder and in the end there will be justice for Lauren. :scale:

It was McD's apartment, Indy. I can post links later. You might recall when the last detective walked out, he stopped to punch the alarm code into a panel on the wall to his right. And then, as you said, he did turn to his right to go down the stairs.

How does the witness know it wasn't Lauren moving around? What time did this happen? I guess this would establish that McD was at home that night in the period he was seen, but as the story is written, it doesn't seem like a big deal.

Obviously we're not getting the full picture, but I'll take it over nothing at all. Eyewitnesses on the night of the murder? C'mon, Knox...that in itself is a big deal. ;)

This little tidbit brings us right up to the time of, or just prior to, the attack, and raises provocative questions. For one thing, it infers, imo, that the gf went inside BECAUSE she saw McD. Why? Did something about him frighten her? Had she had an unpleasant encounter with him previously?

Beside whether LG's car was present, what else can the gf tell us? Had McD actually put trash in (or retrieved something from) the garbage cans? Or had he been skulking around the side of the building, perhaps waiting for LG to return (if she indeed wasn't home at the time). Did the witness have a clear view of the trash cans? The corner of the building? Or did the stairs obstruct her view, so she only saw him as he passed in front of the car? Did he look around as he walked? Did he notice her? What was he wearing? How was he holding the"stick"? How long was it? What color? Did it have a shiny appearance? Dull? Painted? Was it a walking stick? A broomstick? I could go on and on because a "stick" could describe quite a few objects. But I can't imagine why McD would be walking around outside his apartment with any of them.

Bostic's testimony will be very interesting, too. I wonder what was rearranged since it was said he'd moved most of his things except the furniture. I can't see why McD would have to move furniture around. A chair out from a table, maybe. There wouldn't have been much left in the fridge since the guy was moving, but were the few remaining contents all moved to one shelf, as though to free up space? Any loose trash bags or paper towels sitting out on the counter? Anything out of place in the bathroom? I'd also like to ask Bostic if he'd talked about his moving plans with McD. IOW, did he ever mention to McD that he'd be away until the following weekend? I think somehow, some way, McD knew the neighbor wouldn't be back during the week, and an empty, or near empty, refrigerator would be sitting inside his apartment. JMO

ETA: Reading over the article again, and the vague statement that the gf's sighting of McD occurred after LG bought food at Zaxby's. A local member told us at one point how long the drive would be from the apartment to or from Zaxby's. I believe it was only 10-15 minutes. So I think Lauren must have been inside her apartment when McD was seen by the gf. Then the gf went inside and heard movement upstairs. As stated in the article, her information is important to establish the timeline. Previously, Zaxby's was the last confirmed time that LG was alive. (The email didn't count because there was no way to verify if LG actually sent it, herself.) But now that time is pushed forward to a later hour when McD was seen outside, and LG still was moving around in her apartment. Any alibi McD offered for his activities up to that point might be true.

I wonder if McD mentioned the walk outside to LE. I don't recall hearing about it in the parking lot interview. Why not? Iirc, he said he didn't leave his apartment all evening. Most anyone would have pointed out that s/he'd walked over to the trash cans on LG's side of the building at XX:00 p.m. and didn't observe anything unusual, just the neighbor's gf sitting in his car. The neighbor likely had left the door open because the gf was outside. He should have mentioned that, too. Come to think of it, that might be how McD learned they'd be gone all week. He was eavesdropping when the gf went inside, and he heard her say something like, "What's taking you so long? I thought you were only going in to grab one thing. Don't worry about bringing the rest of that stuff now. We'll get it when we come back next Saturday."

Yes. And it definitely was McD's apartment, the third search, iirc. I've looked at that video a zillion times trying to make out what the long object could be. I even got screencaps, but they were very dark. I'm not sure if I posted them or not. But I've brought up the subject a few times because it stuck in my craw for some reason. I really want to know what was in that bag!

Yes Bessie, i remember you discussing this, I wonder what was in that bag too and now I wonder what the witness saw or thought they saw him carrying that might be the same object in the bag taken by investigators

Did the witness SAY that it was Lauren? Perhaps it's pertinent becuase there WAS INDEED ACTIVITY IN HER APARTMENT THE LAST NIGHT SHE WAS EVER SEEN AGAIN and the door stop was not in it;s place means she never settled in yet her car was there, perhaps becuase MCD was seen coming out of the dark that night at the apartments carrying some long object and perhaps becuase he also had her undies in his apt and a number of other suspicious items of or relating to her if I remember correctly.................

Did the witness SAY THAT IT WAS LAUREN? I think perhaps it's pertinent for the witness to testify to that noise because LG car was home and her personal items were still in her apt and the door stick had not been placed yet as she had not yet settled in for the night or rather never got a chance to.

It establishes that McD was home indeed and was lurking around in the dark with some long object not to mention her undies among other things suspicious were in McD apt.........

Wasn't her blood discovered in her apt by luminol testing as well

YES SHE WAS HOME that can be deduced and that noise was probably LG and/or MD

A couple of questions.

Is it possible the "stick" was LGs doorstop? I have forgotten what that looked like.

Would it be possible that SM was using the stick to move evidence, so as to minimize touching it? Example - Putting on gloves and tying garbage bag around end of "stick" hobo style, to keep bag at a distance from his body?

I'm brainstorming more than anything

A couple of questions.

Is it possible the "stick" was LGs doorstop? I have forgotten what that looked like.

Would it be possible that SM was using the stick to move evidence, so as to minimize touching it? Example - Putting on gloves and tying garbage bag around end of "stick" hobo style, to keep bag at a distance from his body?

Yes I just wondered that myself, but I think the doorstop was in her apt?

Obviously we're not getting the full picture, but I'll take it over nothing at all. Eyewitnesses on the night of the murder? C'mon, Knox...that in itself is a big deal. ;)

This little tidbit brings us right up to the time of, or just prior to, the attack, and raises provocative questions. For one thing, it infers, imo, that the gf went inside BECAUSE she saw McD. Why? Did something about him frighten her? Had she had an unpleasant encounter with him previously?

Beside whether LG's car was present, what else can the gf tell us? Had McD actually put trash in (or retrieved something from) the garbage cans? Or had he been skulking around the side of the building, perhaps waiting for LG to return (if she indeed wasn't home at the time). Did the witness have a clear view of the trash cans? The corner of the building? Or did the stairs obstruct her view, so she only saw him as he passed in front of the car? Did he look around as he walked? Did he notice her? What was he wearing? How was he holding the"stick"? How long was it? What color? Did it have a shiny appearance? Dull? Painted? Was it a walking stick? A broomstick? I could go on and on because a "stick" could describe quite a few objects. But I can't imagine why McD would be walking around outside his apartment with any of them.

Bostic's testimony will be very interesting, too. I wonder what was rearranged since it was said he'd moved most of his things except the furniture. I can't see why McD would have to move furniture around. A chair out from a table, maybe. There wouldn't have been much left in the fridge since the guy was moving, but were the few remaining contents all moved to one shelf, as though to free up space? Any loose trash bags or paper towels sitting out on the counter? Anything out of place in the bathroom? I'd also like to ask Bostic if he'd talked about his moving plans with McD. IOW, did he ever mention to McD that he'd be away until the following weekend? I think somehow, some way, McD knew the neighbor wouldn't be back during the week, and an empty, or near empty, refrigerator would be sitting inside his apartment. JMO

ETA: Reading over the article again, and the vague statement that the gf's sighting of McD occurred after LG bought food at Zaxby's. A local member told us at one point how long the drive would be from the apartment to or from Zaxby's. I believe it was only 10-15 minutes. So I think Lauren must ."

Bessie, I am familiar with that area, turn right out of zaxbys, she's 5 min's or less from there

A couple of questions.

In the search warrant of July 1, 2011, two wooden sticks were confiscated. One was four feet long, the other six feet long.

The search warrant return is on p.72. Others are on pp. 55, 72, 186, and also in the exhibits.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/540762-mcdaniel-defense-motions-351-pages.html#wgt=rcntnews

I don't think he would've been fooling with evidence at the time he was seen because apparently it was prior to the attack. It's possible that he was on his way to LG's apartment when the neighbors drove up, forcing him to wait.

Why the stick? A wild guess that goes back to my early notions. We now know he had a key, but it's unlikely he would have used it while Lauren was home. She would've heard him, and become alarmed. If he knew she used a door stop (I think he did), he had to consider it might have been set up. So the key was a bad idea. The best way to gain access to the apartment without arousing suspicion, was to get Lauren to open the door for him, herself, and possibly even ask him in. To make that happen, he had to come up with a story. Perhaps he knocked on the door and told Lauren that he'd heard strange noises, or seen "Macon hoodlums" lurking about, so he grabbed his "big stick" and went over to check on her. LG would have been grateful, and probably felt obliged to stand there and chat for a bit. Once she was off guard, he easily could have made his way inside the apartment, either by using another story, or by force.

JMO

This incident actually was mentioned in a clip played on a newscast from 13WMAZ back during the most recent pretrial hearings. In the clip, Hogue was speaking about this witness, saying "they" (prosecution) have a witness who says she saw SM, etc.

I think I mentioned this back in a post during the hearings but, since 13WMAZ never posted that particular coverage online, I didn't feel really comfortable discussing it much. I'll try to look back later and find my post -- I didn't say much about it, but since it has somewhat "come out" in MSM we can link, I will say, to the best of my recollection:

In the courtroom clip, I think Hogue was saying it was around 11 p.m. He said the witness said she saw and waved at SM and he waved back. I believe Hogue said she said he came on around and entered his apartment, not totally sure about that part.

The way Hogue spoke of the incident -- and this could be defense spin, I don't know -- he said something like "She said she could hear Lauren moving around in her apartment so we know she was still alive." He also made reference to the "last email" that was sent, in trying to set sort of a timeline, I guess.

I think Hogue used the word staff at one point, in talking about whatever SM was carrying.

All FWIW, because there is no MSM link for this part of the hearing, as far as I can find, and believe me, I've looked.

In the search warrant of July 1, 2011, two wooden sticks were confiscated. One was four feet long, the other six feet long.

The search warrant return is on p.72. Others are on pp. 55, 72, 186, and also in the exhibits.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/540762-mcdaniel-defense-motions-351-pages.html#wgt=rcntnews

I don't think he would've been fooling with evidence at the time he was seen because apparently it was prior to the attack. It's possible that he was on his way to LG's apartment when the neighbors drove up, forcing him to wait.

Why the stick? A wild guess that goes back to my early notions. We now know he had a key, but it's unlikely he would have used it while Lauren was home. She would've heard him, and become alarmed. If he knew she used a door stop (I think he did), he had to consider it might have been set up. So the key was a bad idea. The best way to gain access to the apartment without arousing suspicion, was to get Lauren to open the door for him, herself, and possibly even ask him in. To make that happen, he had to come up with a story. Perhaps he knocked on the door and told Lauren that he'd heard strange noises, or seen "Macon hoodlums" lurking about, so he grabbed his "big stick" and went over to check on her. LG would have been grateful, and probably felt obliged to stand there and chat for a bit. Once she was off guard, he easily could have made his way inside the apartment, either by using another story, or by force.

JMO

OH WOW, is that damning ?? It would be if I were on the jury coupled with the other findings in his apt in relation to LG

I guess if she was in her apt already and he went to his, then he must've just found the stick (?) (why two)and went to his apt, that would mean that (since the doorstick wasn't in place supposedly and not broken) she was not asleep and he already in her apt, catching her offguard as many thought early on, then this scenario sounds really really good. Why two sticks in his apt? So he must've had some adrenalin and like LG mother stated, "someone suprised her" so he was behind her, catching her totally off guard and must've had some adrenlin

Sickening to thing about

Thanks for summarizing, Knox -- because what one media outlet has covered in its reports the other hasn't, always, with this hearing.

Judge did totally rule out interrogation video at the trial then? Somehow I missed that -- last I knew the possibility of some of it being played seemed to still be pending. But I have found it hard to sort everything out from today, as things developed.

Anybody who was able to watch (and HEAR, because I had some trouble with that, even when I was watching) all the live feed today, can you elaborate on:

(1) What was said about the drive with Lauren's pix on it -- we had not heard of that until the civil suit, but seemed from one little bit I caught today that it was brought up at this hearing. I'm thinking (if remembering correctly) that DA Cooke seemed to be a bit unfamiliar with the topic, made some comment to that effect. (I think also this is the part where, about the time I tuned in, all the lawyers went into a huddle at the bench.)

(2) What was the deal with the warrant authorized by a Bibb County judge but carried out in DeKalb County -- anybody know? I'm thinking it wouldn't be at SM's parents' home, because that is in Gwinnett County I think.

(3)Any clue what site the post to be discussed on January 6 is from? Or, maybe to put it better, I got the idea it probably is not from the site we are all familiar with -- agree?

(4) Anybody know a summary of what was said about the witness who says she saw SM outside with a stick or staff on the night Lauren sent the email?

I noticed that younger guy was back at the defense table today. I wish one of the media outlets would identify him for us.

I guess it was from a bit earlier round of hearings than I'd thought -- but anyhow, what I bolded in quoting my own post above shows that this witness was discussed at a pretrial hearing.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24
Back