Sheila and Katherine Lyon-sisters missing since 1975 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
HOWEVER, he claimed to never have done that in Montgomery County. And he had a perfect alibi for not being at Wheaton Plaza on the date and time of the Lyon sisters' disappearance: He was involved in a traffic accident with a government vehicle and in the hospital at that time.

Investigators never released that information to the press. This individual was a family man with a wife and children, and he claimed to be embarrassed about what he had done, and did not want to endanger his family by having the word get out
I was Googling "Ronald Meroney" and found that Clarence D. Long, a deceased MD congressman that was in office from the 60s to the 80s, has his files archived at the Johns Hopkins Univ. Special Collections section of the Library. The files are mainly from the early to mid 70s.

His bio mentioned that he didnt have a lot of staffers and he had converted his van into a mobile office that he drove on the weekends.
I dont know if anyone else had access to this van.

There was also mention of a new shopping center project.

He has a file labeled "Meroney, Ronald". The file is not in the same subfiles as other media contacts or media intervews. I am theorizing that Meroney may have used his journalism skills to act as if he were getting input from local kids about the "new shopping center project"-I dont recall the town mentioned. If he was able to befriend the girls by the phony interview, he possibly could have waited for them to leave the mall and approached them in an (official/govt) vehicle offering a ride home or promising money for soliciting political flyers.

If the girls were alive the following day and he realized after hearing the reports that they were the daughters of one of his colleagues, so to speak, he would not have been able to release them once he did whatever sick perverts do with kids.

I dont know how we could access the actual file to see what is in it and why a congressman would have a file on him.

The link is here:
http://www.library.jhu.edu/index.html

Go to Special Collections

itsreenw said:
I was Googling "Ronald Meroney" and found that Clarence D. Long, a deceased MD congressman that was in office from the 60s to the 80s, has his files archived at the Johns Hopkins Univ. Special Collections section of the Library. The files are mainly from the early to mid 70s....
Interesting connection between Meroney and politics, but I do not see a strong connection with it and your lead-off quotation, which came from one of my earlier posts.

In my earlier post I had mentioned that a man came forward voluntarily and claimed to be the Tape Recorder Man seen at two Prince Georges County (Maryland) shopping centers - but NOT at the Montgomery County shopping centers. Police know that man's identity. He was from Prince Georges County and he claimed to have been involved in an accident with a vehicle owned by the Federal Government at the time the Lyon Girls disappeared. (Whether he was driving the government vehicle, or had simply collided with it I do not know.)

I have a hard time believing that there were TWO Tape Recorder Men, operating in adjacent counties within days of eachother, and that they looked so much alike. More likely, there was only one TRM and this guy wanted to get close to the investigation for some strange reason and decided to "confess" to the PG part of things, but provide a strong alibi for NOT being the Wheaton Plaza TRM.

I seriously doubt if Meroney was that person, since he lived in Ann Arundel county at the time, NOT in Prince Georges County. But if he was the "PG County TRM", why would he have come forward voluntarily?

There were actually about 15 persons who claimed to have seen and spoken with the PG County TRM at Iverson Mall and Marlow Heights Shopping Center. He reportedly would approach young teen aged girls and ask them to read a typed index card with a phone message on it into a tape recorder. He was seen on Saturday, the 22nd of March, only three days before the Lyon sisters disappeared. No mention was made regarding any survey being made. All of the malls in question were well established malls, not new ones.

Richard said:
Interesting connection between Meroney and politics, but I do not see a strong connection with it and your lead-off quotation, which came from one of my earlier posts.

In my earlier post I had mentioned that a man came forward voluntarily and claimed to be the Tape Recorder Man seen at two Prince Georges County (Maryland) shopping centers - but NOT at the Montgomery County shopping centers. Police know that man's identity. He was from Prince Georges County and he claimed to have been involved in an accident with a vehicle owned by the Federal Government at the time the Lyon Girls disappeared. (Whether he was driving the government vehicle, or had simply collided with it I do not know.)

I have a hard time believing that there were TWO Tape Recorder Men, operating in adjacent counties within days of eachother, and that they looked so much alike. More likely, there was only one TRM and this guy wanted to get close to the investigation for some strange reason and decided to "confess" to the PG part of things, but provide a strong alibi for NOT being the Wheaton Plaza TRM.

I seriously doubt if Meroney was that person, since he lived in Ann Arundel county at the time, NOT in Prince Georges County. But if he was the "PG County TRM", why would he have come forward voluntarily?

There were actually about 15 persons who claimed to have seen and spoken with the PG County TRM at Iverson Mall and Marlow Heights Shopping Center. He reportedly would approach young teen aged girls and ask them to read a typed index card with a phone message on it into a tape recorder. He was seen on Saturday, the 22nd of March, only three days before the Lyon sisters disappeared. No mention was made regarding any survey being made. All of the malls in question were well established malls, not new ones.
Richard, I quoted a portion of your post because you made reference to a government vehicle. Congressmen often drive government vehicles and the congressman I spoke of has some connection to Meroney.

The rest of my post really was not based on yours. I was simply sharing what I found and offering a possibility of a new theory for anyone that was interested in reading it.

It doesn't hurt to consider new avenues since nothing has panned out in the last 30 years.

itsreenw said:
Richard, I quoted a portion of your post because you made reference to a government vehicle. Congressmen often drive government vehicles and the congressman I spoke of has some connection to Meroney.

The rest of my post really was not based on yours. I was simply sharing what I found and offering a possibility of a new theory for anyone that was interested in reading it.

It doesn't hurt to consider new avenues since nothing has panned out in the last 30 years.
You make good points. I just wanted to clarify my quoted statement, and mention that although I reported what detectives told me regarding a second TRM and his "government vehicle accident alibi", I have my doubts about such a "BIG Coincidence". That said, however, it would be fairly easy for police to check the Meroney character against the story, because they do have the identity of the man who claimed to be TRM Number Two.

The passage of time can be both good and bad in the course of an investigation. As time goes by, new leads and possibilities pop up. Unfortunately, the downside of time passage is that it is often not possible to check and verify those leads due to change.

Keep us posted as to any further information related to Meroney in 1975. Any lead is worth pursuing.

This is an excellent piece of work, and good observation, in regards to Merony`s possible involvement with the Lyon Case. I looked at the picture of Merony and concentrated on it. I do believe his face is familiar, but I`m positive he is not the same man I saw with the tape recorder, on 2 separate occasions in 1975. Of course this does not mean he was not involved in some way.

Richard said:
I have a hard time believing that there were TWO Tape Recorder Men, operating in adjacent counties within days of eachother, and that they looked so much alike.
I think it is "impossible" to have 2 different men, in 2 adjacent counties, in the same State,same year, within days of each other,both operating in shoping centers,both well dressed, both with grey & black hair,both approx. 50 yrs. old,both approx. same height,both approx.same weight,both looked so very similar in appearance, both had a tape recorder, both had a brief case, both had an interest in children, & last but not least, both asked children to speak into his tape recorder. I`d be interested to know if anyone agrees or disagrees with my logic.:confused:

Jeb said:
I think it is "impossible" to have 2 different men, in 2 adjacent counties, in the same State,same year, within days of each other,both operating in shoping centers,both well dressed, both with grey & black hair,both approx. 50 yrs. old,both approx. same height,both approx.same weight,both looked so very similar in appearance, both had a tape recorder, both had a brief case, both had an interest in children, & last but not least, both asked children to speak into his tape recorder. I`d be interested to know if anyone agrees or disagrees with my logic.:confused:
I agree with your logic, Jeb. I think the odds are slim to none that two different men, with similar appearance and behavior, were operating at the same time in the same general vicinity.

Jeb said:
I wasn't suggesting there were 2 TRM. I think my reference to Richard's post was confusing. Sorry. I found the Congressman's files the night before I posted here and was thinking if the use of an official's vehicle could've made it easier to influence the girls to get in the car. Then I logged onto WS and saw Richard's post mentioning a govt vehicle.

I was merely bringing to light, the fact that this odd fellow mentions being in a govt vehicle and a local congressman, Clarence D. Long, had a van that was used as a moblie office. The same congressman had a file on Ron Meroney. I understand Meroney was trying to venture into politics also but this file was not labeled with any reference to politics as others were. For example Doe, John-Democratic Candidate, etc...

His simply read "Meroney, Ronald"

I am brand new to this case and learned about it from Huff's Crime Blog. When I saw the resemblance of the sketches/Meroney's pic I was stunned. I realize the sketches were done in the 70s and Meroney's pic is present day but the facial features are the same.

Coffey and other suspects have been considered but Meroney is just coming to the surface. I thought it might be a good idea to look at him a little more closely considering his sexual preference seems to be little girls according to his criminal history.

Disregard any connection from my post/Richard's post. I didn't mean to confuse anyone.

Richard, you seem to be quite knowledgeable about the case. Are you a family friend or have you just followed the case for a long time?

Meroney apparently ran for congress as an Independent against Long in 1976. Long's file on Meroney is most likely a background dossier on his opponent (career, personal, and professional info). But it would still be quite interesting to look at it. I would assume there'd be lots of info/background on Meroney that hasn't come out yet. I also wouldn't be surprised if there's a photo of Meroney in that file, circa. 1976. If someone who lives near the Johns Hopkins Library were to drop by and look over that file, it could be interesting. Or at least, someone should suggest to the cold case cops to do it.

I was curious about the nolle prosequi and the PBJ 641 as listed in Moneroni's court records. I found a site with a simple explanation for them.
It is at the bottom of the page.
http://www.co.ba.md.us/Agencies/statesattorney/witnessinformation/victimwitness.html

Nol Pros - (Nolle Prosequi) A Latin term meaning that the prosecutor declines to proceed with the case.

Probation Before Judgement - The defendant agrees to accept any lawful conditions the court orders and gives up the right to appeal. An actual guilty verdict is not entered and the defendant does not go to jail. Also called a PBJ or Section 641.

I'm well aware of this case, and I still think about the fact that these girls have never been found. In 1984 I worked for a local professional sports team, and John Lyon, the father of the girls, provided media support during our games. I used to watch him and wonder how he carried on every day, and marvel that he was still able to function, laugh and live despite the enormity of his loss. Losing one child would be hell, but both children? I still remember them in my prayers...I sincerely hope that these parents find out what happened to their children before they too leave this earth. My heart goes out to them and to every family living through the hell of not knowing.

I was 13 years old in 1975. I had gone to Wheaton Plaza that spring 1975 with my good friend. We were approached by a man at the back side of Woodward & Lothrop, outside, who told us he was the drummer for Paul McCartney's Wings band. He told us he would take us to meet the other players in the band and to get in his car. I can't believe we did it but we did. As we approached Dart Drug on Viers Mill Road, I got real scared and whispered to my friend to jump out of the car at the next red light. We did and ran back towards Wheaton Plaza. I told my father who took me that night to the Montgomery County police station on Randolph Road. They were very non-chalant about the entire ordeal. I never heard a word back from the police after that night. I think it was a week before the Lyons sisters disappeared from the Plaza.

I remember he was a white man, tall and skinny with dark hair and glasses. He wore a hat. I remember when Laura Hoeteling (spelling?) was murdered and they found her murderer. It startled me bacause he looked exactly like the man who tried to drive away with me and my friend. I called the police many times to tell them this story but no one has ever returned my calls.

blondini2004 said:
I was 13 years old in 1975. I had gone to Wheaton Plaza that spring 1975 with my good friend. We were approached by a man at the back side of Woodward & Lothrop, outside, .... I think it was a week before the Lyons sisters disappeared from the Plaza. ...
I remember he was a white man, tall and skinny with dark hair and glasses. He wore a hat. I remember when Laura Hoeteling (spelling?) was murdered and they found her murderer. It startled me bacause he looked exactly like the man who tried to drive away with me and my friend. I called the police many times to tell them this story but no one has ever returned my calls.
The man you refer to as the convicted murderer of Laura Hoeteling is Hadden Clark. There is a post on him in the "Suspects" thread of this featured case. I believe that there is also a link to a photo of him in one of the posts. He was convicted of the 1986 murder of Michelle Dorr, also of Montgomery County.

He is indeed a weird guy, currently serving consecutive life terms in the Maryland State Prison system. Clark would have been about 24 or 25 years old in 1975. He did live and hang out in Montgomery County, Maryland.

Clark has confessed to a number of other murders, but as yet they have not been substantiated or linked to known victims. He is real psycho case and hard to deal with in regard to police interviews.

Since you and your friend were approached before the Lyon girls disappeared, perhaps your information could be of use to the current case officers. Do you recall what kind of car the man was driving, or any other particulars? Did you give a lot of specific information to the police back in 1975? That origional 1975 information might be more valuable today, as police have much more to compare it to.

You point out a very important thing, in that young girls actually would get into a car with a stranger when fed a believable story.

I went to Wheaton Plaza with my friend a week before the girls were kidnapped. I was 13 and so was my friend. We were approached outside of the backside of Woodward & Lothrop. The man was in a small car. He told us he was a part of "wings" band with Paul McCartney and if we got in his car he would introduce us to the band members. We got in his car. He sped us away. I was really scared and at the light where the old Dart Drug was on Viers Mill Road, I opened the door and jumped out and we ran down the road screaming.

Forward to the 1990's and Laura Hoeteling's murder. They found her murderer. When they showed a picture of him on tv, I gasped cause it was him, it was the guy who got us in the car...i'm sure of it... hat, thin, glasses.

The night this happened to me and my friend my parents took us to the Randolph road police department. They took a report, end of story. The night I saw Laura Hoeteling's murderer, I called the police again and told them my story. I never heard from the police.

I was very lucky to get away

I assume that, at the time, police checked records of all 1968 Ford station wagons in the state for owners who resembled the suspect. Do they know if it was a Fairlane, a Country Squire, or a Torino?

I assume that, at the time, police checked records of all 1968 Ford station wagons in the state for owners who resembled the suspect. Do they know if it was a Fairlane, a Country Squire, or a Torino?
---There was a very extensive search for the tan Ford Station Wagon. Not reported in this particular UPI story was that the IBM man also claimed to have gotten a partial tag number. He said that the car had what he thought were Maryland tags with DMT-6xx on them. He also stated that the plate was bent up and that he could not get the last two digits.---Maryland was just then in the process of a statewide change-over of plates and these would have been red letters on a white background. It was not computerized and so the search of plates and cars had to be done by hand and through-out the state at various DMV stations.---Besides the police being on the look-out for such a car, many citizens were looking for it - and there were reports coming in from many places about supposed sightings. There were even cases where truckers were pulling cars over to question the drivers. ---The UPI article above, as published in the California newspaper, would seem to indicate that the IBM man's story was verified or supported by other sightings throughout the day (1 April 1975), with the last sighting taking place in the late afternoon or early evening. ---Note, however, that the date of the story is 8 April - a week after the reported sighting. Only the IBM man reported seeing two girls in the back of the tan station wagon. It is questionable whether the subsequent sightings were made before or after the IBM man's story was made known in the press. ---There was also a Ford Falcon Station Wagon, which in 1968 resembled the larger models. ---Not to confuse the story, but in another news article, it was mentioned that Police were looking for a blue Ford Falcon Station Wagon with bumper stickers on the rear. This snippet appeared only at the end of a long article in the Washington Post, and never again. Police told me that it is likely that this second Ford Falcon was one driven by a mother of two girls who resembled the Lyon Sisters. A sighting had been reported and police were able to trace that blue Ford to the family, ruling out the possibility of a link to the Lyon case.

Sorry for the run-on look of my previous post. I made several editing attempts to insert spaces between paragraphs, but the website system refused to recognize them. I finally put three dashes between paragraphs --- to make it a bit easier to read.

Thanks for the reply. A damn shame that that great lead did not produce results. I am amazed that, with all the clues and witnesses, this case has not been solved. Maybe renewed media attention would rattle some memories.

It's hard to beleive, 32 yrs. after the fact, that no one including LE, can say whether or not a beige station with tag #DMT6-- ever existed. 3 States, Md.,N,C.,Arizona, had red on white tags. Va. had a centennial tag in 1975 with the same color variation. Does anyone out there know the answer to this baffling question. I have an idea... what was the tag # on Fred Coffey's vehicle, & what type vehicle did he have when he was arrested 9Oct75 in Norfolk,Va.? Remember now, this arrest occured just 6 mos. after the (DMT) Tag surfaced. This question could be answered with a copy of the arrest report, from Norfolk. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

It's hard to beleive, 32 yrs. after the fact, that no one including LE, can say whether or not a beige station with tag #DMT6-- ever existed. 3 States, Md.,N,C.,Arizona, had red on white tags. Va. had a centennial tag in 1975 with the same color variation. Does anyone out there know the answer to this baffling question. I have an idea... what was the tag # on Fred Coffey's vehicle, & what type vehicle did he have when he was arrested 9Oct75 in Norfolk,Va.? Remember now, this arrest occured just 6 mos. after the (DMT) Tag surfaced. This question could be answered with a copy of the arrest report, from Norfolk. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Fred Coffey was also arrested for the abduction and rape of a 13 year old girl in Virginia Beach some time in 1974. In that crime, he used a vehicle of some sort, a record of which should also be in police arrest records.

Coffey was in the Navy at the time and picked up the young daughter of a neighbor and fellow sailor when she came out of a convenience store. His ruse was that her parents had been in an accident and that he was going to take the little girl to the hospital. Instead, he took her to the beach and raped her.

For this, Coffey received some small sentence in civilian court. He was not prosecuted by the Navy, but he was not allowed to re-enlist in the Navy for his fourth tour of duty. He was discharged from the Navy in September of 1974 with an honorable discharge (yes, an honorable one). He then began to seek employment elsewhere.

It is believed that Navy friends of his got him the job in Wheaton with VITRO Laboratories. That chain of events put him in Wheaton, Maryland about the time the LYON girls went missing. He officially began work at VITRO on 24 April 1975, but was likely in town earlier to establish himself and to interview for his job. He left town suddenly the last week of July that year, immediately after Kathy Lynn Beatty was abducted, assaulted and left for dead - immediately across the street from the Aspen Hill VITRO office parking lot.

Records exist of Coffeys cars - and he evidently had several of them. The two arrest records in Norfolk/Virginia Beach for 1974 and 1975 would be excellent places to start. Montgomery County Police have Coffey's VITRO employment records. It is possible that he submitted paperwork for a parking pass on a car or cars while working for them.

Coffey is known to have used vehicles in several attacks on children. It is a good bet that a vehicle was used to abduct the Lyon Sisters and Kathy Lynn Beatty in 1975. The problem is tying it all together with solid evidence. Finding reference to the tan/beige station wagon in the records would be a big boost for this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starrynight8974