Laura Babcock Murder Trial 12.06.17 - Closing Arguments - Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that was an exciting showdown between TD and the Crown today.

Imo, JC did a great job pulling her case together - I thought the actual evidence presentation was choppy myself. Maybe that was the strategy though - get the evidence in, sit back and see what the defendants do with it then tie it all up in closing due to a circumstantial and no body case. Jmo.

She didn't sway me 100% though on MS - still on the fence. She had me then lost me when she said MS would not have confessed to his garage buddies if he didn't do it. Problem with that is, people do confess to crimes they didn't commit for a variety of reasons. I see MS bragging about the murder of LB even if he didn't have prior knowledge. I think she should have left that part out.

A lot of guessing and after the fact stuff for MS - not so for DM. Best of luck to the jury! Trust they will spend most of their time on MS guilt or innocence.

And thank-you to all that post the tweets and blogs here - I'm so appreciative to able to read it all in a one stop shop. Cheers!

Crown attorney JC: "Marlena is not an issue, Smich just tells her to stay in the room with her headphones in."

Not that I recall, IIRC.

JC might have framed that statement as a suggestion, not evidence (?)

Suggestion, but right before that she said "because he was the only other person there, at Maple Gate"

Suggestion, but right before that she said "because he was the only other person there, at Maple Gate"

When she said that Smich just tells Marlena to stay in her room with her headphones on I thought she actually meant stay in the car. I wasn’t sure if it was a mistake or if she was implying that Marlena was at the house when LB was killed. Then she said this, that MS and DM were the only ones in the house.

What a stellar closing from Jill Cameron for the Crown! :takeabow:

Let justice follow swiftly and surely.

All MOO

I agree she did a great close and tied things together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious - does anyone know where Wayne Millard was on July 3rd? He lived at Maplegate. I don't recall seeing it mentioned.

Just curious - does anyone know where Wayne Millard was on July 3rd? He lived at Maplegate. I don't recall seeing it mentioned.

Maybe he was home and that’s why WM had to die as well?

JMO

CJPrincess <Quote>Maybe he was home and that&#8217;s why WM had to die as well?

JMO</Quote>

Scary thought. Could be true.

I think the closing was excellent. She kept it concise and logical. The crown tied everything together and packaged it and left me without doubts, putting to rest any concerns I had about whether there was enough evidence to convict both of M1. She left the jury with a clear narrative with evidence to support it. I think it will be very interesting to see how long the jury takes to give a verdict.
It will be a tough time for LB's family and friends over the next days.

I think they have had to leave that information out due to the upcoming trial. If it was mentioned that someone else was at the house or that they had to wait for that someone else to leave the house, it would have left a question about where this person was now and potentially have an impact on the trial next year.
jmo

Very good closing. Some things have become clearer to me and it is quite apparent that some things were missing in the tweets.

I think the Crown has done a good job with what they had.

Almost time to hand it over to the Jury. Myself, I can find both of them guilty of M1. I was helped today to get down off the fence. I think the Charge to the Jury will make things even clearer.

It helped me understand all the evidence better, great job Crown. I think these two were a homicidal pair and worked to gether without a doubt. They did in the Tim Bosma case and they did before his murder. They were a team. I learned today that like they said in the Bosma case , it does not matter who does the murder, if others are working to help plan it and set it up they are also guilty of M1.
DM believed he had it all figured out and the perfect way he thought to get away with a murder. Just like he did with Tim Bosma.
Laura s possessions were trophies to both these sick , like Tim Bosma s truck key was when they found it on DM key chain.
It looks like it was a gun that killed her if they had to get rid of the mattress probably due to blood.
I did not hear the evidence that there were no calls between DM and MS on the night of the murder and it was explained they did not need to be on the phone they were together going through with murdering Laura.
It looks like DM did not want Laura to see MS, and then suddenly probably appeared and somehow murdered her.
Phew , glad it is finally over and JUSTICE FOR LAURA BABCOCK.

Maybe he was home and that’s why WM had to die as well?

JMO

I think they have had to leave that information out due to the upcoming trial. If it was mentioned that someone else was at the house or that they had to wait for that someone else to leave the house, it would have left a question about where this person was now and potentially have an impact on the trial next year.
jmo

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

jmo

Even though they probably couldn’t say that he was home, are they still allowed to say that DM and MS were the only ones home? Why say that at all?

"Regarded" does NOT always mean past tense? could be saying "You of all people know how I THINK ,SEE,JUDGE,VIEW,Laura,"

Or possibly I'm wrong just looking for clarification?

He speaks multiple languages. He's very familiar with the correct use of tense.

Wow excellent job by the crown today!! TD was no slouch either. I think DM made a big mistake calling evidence and allowing the crown to close last

Great closing by the crown! I didn't see in tweets that she brought up that it wasn't hunting season for the dead deer, and to be honest I wouldn't have caught it if you all hadn't spelled it out for me on here. Only saw her mention that a hunter wouldn't leave the kill.

Wow, you get 130 people browsing this thread, it gets hard to turn the pages!

Great closing by the crown! I didn't see in tweets that she brought up that it wasn't hunting season for the dead deer, and to be honest I wouldn't have caught it if you all hadn't spelled it out for me on here. Only saw her mention that a hunter wouldn't leave the kill.

Do you mean throughout the trial or in crowns closing?
It definitely was said in her closing, so I’m assuming that it was said during some point in the actual case. I’m going to assume that the reporters take what they think is of importance to their followers because they couldn’t possibly tweet every single thing said.

ETA: They’d then take their tweets and form their narrative write ups. So if that part wasn’t in their tweets,blogs etc then it wouldn’t get written about at all.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member