CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #5

It was mentioned by various people during the final 2 days of the sentencing hearing last week, including a few of the survivors. His behavior was an act, but the wheelchair specifically, was not because he couldn't walk.

If you notice at the initial hearing or 2 right after he was caught, he was walking and standing up in that cage they have in the jailhouse courtroom. The security in that specific courtroom was superlative because of the cage, and the only way in to that courtroom for any prisoner is through a special doorway that leads them right into the cage.
Yes I remember that cage but dont remember anyone saying the wheelchair was for security reasons or for it to be easier for the jail personnel to transport him. Have you got a link for that to where it was posted/linked previously.

Whoa! His oldest daughter writes a 5 page letter to the judge having glowing remarks of him....

https://htv-prod-media.s3.amazonaws...om-de-angelo-s-oldest-daughter-1598392956.pdf

WOW. The irony of her final two sentences: "My Dad taught me to appreciate life, and never take things for granted. I cannot begin to express how much of a loss my daughter and I are experiencing right now, without him present in our lives."

Well, he probably taught you to never take things for granted because he knew that there are horrible people out there willing to end your life one day for their own jollies. And the loss you are experiencing because you "lost" your dad is not quite the same as the loss of all his other victims and their families (also victims). Your freakin' dad is still alive and you have "lost" him as a result of HIS actions - which I guess does make her the same as all his victims' families since their loss was also a result of JD's actions. GRRRRRR.

I read the whole thing while shaking my head
I get that she finds it hard to believe that he is NOT the decent person he raised her to be. But she needs to pull her head out of her patootie. What was the point of those five pages? Did his attorneys really believe it would give him a lighter sentence?

Sorry, I know that was a rambling rant, but I'm struggling to have more than an ounce of empathy for her. I know she is also a victim and her devastation is real; I'm sure he never wanted his kids to know his history. But his good treatment of her does not negate one ounce of his evil. (I will add that her letter describes a rather strange relationship with her father, IMO.)

Article about JJD in a wheelchair

From LA Times article Aug 17, 2020

"... sheriff’s deputies rolled DeAngelo onto the elevated platform in a wheelchair. His defense lawyers said DeAngelo requires a cane but could walk — the wheelchair was used at the request of court security officers who sought a quick way to remove DeAngelo from the room if needed."

Speculation, imo, fwiw.
Reminded of..
A nurse who killed many patients in an old folks home, before she was finally caught and how she had remarked to others how lucky she was to still have her parents.
In my mind, the wretched woman elevated herself and her family by destroying others, she finally had something they did not, her parents and power.

This is how i think of GSK. he would and could make his family the best! the happiest! and ironically, the most safe and secure!
He achieved his perfect untouchable "sand castle," by kicking down and destroying what everyone else built or was building.
The consummate hard-working construction guy was a master of duplicity and demolition.

''His ex-wife, Sacramento attorney Sharon Huddle, said in her own court filing that she was fooled by his excuses of working nights, leaving for pheasant hunts and visiting his parents, though many victims have wondered aloud how she could not have known of her husband’s double life.''

That's really hard to believe, as there was a lot of prowling needed, when they were already married.

Some serial predators went out prowling every night.

Hopefully some day we get more information regarding this case.

That's really hard to believe, as there was a lot of prowling needed, when they were already married.

Some serial predators went out prowling every night.

Hopefully some day we get more information regarding this case.
Welcome to Ws Flyrian!

The former Colonel Russell Williams, who GSK always reminded me of, also went for many evening excursions telling his wife that he was going for an evening jog to " relieve" his chronic backache, apparently she believed him too, although some did not believe her. imo.
Russell Williams (criminal) - Wikipedia
Russell Williams’s wife knew he was a predator: victim - Macleans.ca

Whoa! His oldest daughter writes a 5 page letter to the judge having glowing remarks of him....

https://htv-prod-media.s3.amazonaws...om-de-angelo-s-oldest-daughter-1598392956.pdf

At least it confirms for me why the killings abruptly stopped (save for the last known victim) after she was born. He spent all his spare time caring for his precious daughters, so there's no time left to stalk torture and kill other people's loved ones. Somehow one activity compensated for the other, even though they were polar opposites to a normal person.

It also confirms for me that self-centredness and lack of empathy can be hereditary.

MOO

PS. how tragic it was for the communities, that his then wife did not have children with him, the moment they got married. Seldom does one find one's reproductive choices impact on so many other's lives...

Last edited:
I view the daughter's letter through the lens of compartmentalization. The men who are like GSK - Robert Lee Yates, Gary Ridgeway, etc - the ones who maintain families for various lengths of times -are essentially able to nearly completely separate their personas and live a double life. There are varying degrees of success with this.

In the case of Ted Bundy, his live-in girlfriend did report him to the police. Clearly, he was not able to keep the division between his two lives as clean as someone like Yates. I think that for those who have never experienced someone who can successfully compartmentalize like this, its hard to put ourselves in the shoes of family members.

It will take his daughter decades to come to terms with the other side of her father. That is not the side he showed her and why would she have any reason to think her loving father could be capable of such horror? How many times do we hear interviews from neighbors, friends, and co-workers who say "he was such a nice guy" after horrible crimes come to light? These "family guys" do the same thing with their families.

Ideally she would have expressed some empathy for the victims in this statement, but I'm guessing his defense team told her to write exclusively about her experience with her father.

From his daughters letter he appears to have completely hid the side of him that raped and murdered for many years, he was a good father and grandfather, I am sure they will struggle their whole lives trying to reconcile the man they knew with the man they now know their father is. The only tiny bit of solace for them maybe that he committed all his crimes but one before they were all born, so as their father he was not active in his horrific crime spree.

I think they may have many questions for their mother as she was married to him throughout all his attacks. I have huge sympathy for them as their who image of their father must be shattered, and they now must live in the knowledge that their father committed crimes that are horrific and such a huge amount of crimes with hundreds of victims.

I hope they are left alone unless they chose to go public as they didn't choose him to be their father, and he deceived them as he deceived everybody for over 40 years.

WOW. The irony of her final two sentences: "My Dad taught me to appreciate life, and never take things for granted. I cannot begin to express how much of a loss my daughter and I are experiencing right now, without him present in our lives."

Well, he probably taught you to never take things for granted because he knew that there are horrible people out there willing to end your life one day for their own jollies. And the loss you are experiencing because you "lost" your dad is not quite the same as the loss of all his other victims and their families (also victims). Your freakin' dad is still alive and you have "lost" him as a result of HIS actions - which I guess does make her the same as all his victims' families since their loss was also a result of JD's actions. GRRRRRR.

I get that she finds it hard to believe that he is NOT the decent person he raised her to be. But she needs to pull her head out of her patootie. What was the point of those five pages? Did his attorneys really believe it would give him a lighter sentence?

Plus! Where's the man the neighbors heard ranting and raving? Screaming in his back yard? Threatening to kill their dog??? Maybe she glossed over a few things in her effort to save her father.

Sorry, I know that was a rambling rant, but I'm struggling to have more than an ounce of empathy for her. I know she is also a victim and her devastation is real; I'm sure he never wanted his kids to know his history. But his good treatment of her does not negate one ounce of his evil. (I will add that her letter describes a rather strange relationship with her father, IMO.)

I view the daughter's letter through the lens of compartmentalization. The men who are like GSK - Robert Lee Yates, Gary Ridgeway, etc - the ones who maintain families for various lengths of times -are essentially able to nearly completely separate their personas and live a double life. There are varying degrees of success with this.

In the case of Ted Bundy, his live-in girlfriend did report him to the police. Clearly, he was not able to keep the division between his two lives as clean as someone like Yates. I think that for those who have never experienced someone who can successfully compartmentalize like this, its hard to put ourselves in the shoes of family members.

It will take his daughter decades to come to terms with the other side of her father. That is not the side he showed her and why would she have any reason to think her loving father could be capable of such horror? How many times do we hear interviews from neighbors, friends, and co-workers who say "he was such a nice guy" after horrible crimes come to light? These "family guys" do the same thing with their families.

Ideally she would have expressed some empathy for the victims in this statement, but I'm guessing his defense team told her to write exclusively about her experience with her father.

Did she gloss over his ranting and raving in the backyard, screaming at the neighbor, threatening to kill the neighbor's dog? I think she was trying to save her dad by presenting him in the best light she could. Understandable, but not accurate.

I think I feel more for the direct victims of GSK who lost their lives, their physical and mental trauma, lost their loved ones, through no fault of their own.

To me the daughter's 5 page character recommendation for GSK is offensive. Reminds me of Sarah the poor self pitying daughter of a murderer who killed his wife, her mother, in Melbourne Australia.

Edit with link:
Found Deceased - Australia - Karen Ristevski, 47, Melbourne, Vic, 29 June 2016 - #18 *Arrest*

Last edited:
Her letter is, quite frankly and IMO, bizarre.

This is a 38 yr old woman who, by her admission, appears to have lived at home with daddy her entire life, with him allegedly waiting on her and her daughter. I don't know what's true and what might be fantasy, but it's not what I think of when I think of a normal grown, educated, almost-40 woman. The letter sounds like it was written by a teenager.

The other thing that's interesting is that it doesn't seem she has much of a relationship if any, or at least not a positive relationship, with her mother.

Again, all the above is IMO.

Am I the only one who was completely creeped out by him jumping up on the desk to cover the lights? So many victims said he would turn on the TV and then cover it with a towel, to not have direct light. This guy is methodical and a creature of habit or doing things the same way over and over. I find it so hard to believe that no one in his life ever heard anything that rang a bell to them, that was a trait they recognizedas familiar. Im just not buying it.

I am surprised he spoke at the end. But he's not sorry. That's for sure. He sat without a single movement- stoic, masked, listening to the details of his attacks. To him, that was like going to a ceremony to honor your accomplishments. He considers those accomplishments. He might be the sickest human I've ever seen.

Welcome to Ws Flyrian!

The former Colonel Russell Williams, who GSK always reminded me of, also went for many evening excursions telling his wife that he was going for an evening jog to " relieve" his chronic backache, apparently she believed him too, although some did not believe her. imo.
Russell Williams (criminal) - Wikipedia
Russell Williams’s wife knew he was a predator: victim - Macleans.ca
Right you are , thank you , I was just about to post the same thing.

Williams would wear a black jogging outfit and also carry a black balaclava if he needed to cover his face. Clever. Nobody would be suspicious of a jogger in the neighborhood late at night.

By wearing black he could hide in the shadows and peep into windows to plan his next victim.

I think I feel more for the direct victims of GSK who lost their lives, their physical and mental trauma, lost their loved ones, through no fault of their own.

To me the daughter's 5 page character recommendation for GSK is offensive. Reminds me of Sarah the poor self pitying daughter of a murderer who killed his wife, her mother, in Melbourne Australia.

Edit with link:
Found Deceased - Australia - Karen Ristevski, 47, Melbourne, Vic, 29 June 2016 - #18 *Arrest*
RBBM
I agree! I absolutely have WAY more sympathy for the direct victims and their families. I even wanted to use the term "actual victims," but per WS TOS, the GSK's daughter is a victim. I would have said a lot more about her statement and the bizarre relationship with her murdering father, if she didn't fall into the victim category. The apple/tree image above was exactly what I was thinking.

I finally finished the HBO documentary (I'll Be Gone in the Dark) last night. It was really well done. I recommend it to anyone interested in the case. The victims that were interviewed for the series will break your heart.

Am I the only one who was completely creeped out by him jumping up on the desk to cover the lights? So many victims said he would turn on the TV and then cover it with a towel, to not have direct light. This guy is methodical and a creature of habit or doing things the same way over and over. I find it so hard to believe that no one in his life ever heard anything that rang a bell to them, that was a trait they recognizedas familiar.

RSBM
Good catch on equating his covering the lights in his cell to covering the TVs at the crime scenes.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that these details of the cases were not released to the public at that time, so were not as widely known as they are now. I could be wrong. I'm sure someone that has followed the case much more closely than I will correct me (and I would welcome it!). But I seriously doubt that details of rapes and murders were made public, so no way to "recognize" this trait in him. IMO.

I wonder if we will ever find out if he had kept any of the items he stole?

RSBM
Good catch on equating his covering the lights in his cell to covering the TVs at the crime scenes.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that these details of the cases were not released to the public at that time, so were not as widely known as they are now. I could be wrong. I'm sure someone that has followed the case much more closely than I will correct me (and I would welcome it!). But I seriously doubt that details of rapes and murders were made public, so no way to "recognize" this trait in him. IMO.

I wonder if we will ever find out if he had kept any of the items he stole?

He likes being in a dark, shadowy environment where he can see other people, but they can't see him. Just a guess. Amazing, but not really, at how he was able to jump and climb around so easily. The detectives who followed him before his arrest were very clear about how he was in good physical condition for his age and obviously faking illness once jailed.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dahliaf
Back