The 340 has been solved!

doranchak

Reaction score
BREAKING NEWS

Last weekend, we solved the 340 and submitted it to the FBI.
They have confirmed the solution.
Authorities have spent the time since then making the appropriate notifications to the victims’ families.
Now that the notification process is complete, we are announcing the solution in the latest episode of “Let’s Crack Zodiac”.

For a more detailed look at the story behind the solution, see this article: BREAKING NEWS: The Zodiac’s “340 Cipher” has been solved |

In MSM now!

Zodiac ‘340 Cipher’ cracked by code experts 51 years after it was sent to the S.F. Chronicle

'I am not afraid of the gas chamber': Codebreakers solve old Zodiac Killer cipher

According to code-breaking expert David Oranchak, the cipher’s text includes: “I hope you are having lots of fun in trying to catch me. ... I am not afraid of the gas chamber because it will send me to paradice (sic) all the sooner because I now have enough slaves to work for me.”

Great job guys!

FBI statement here:
https://twitter.com/FBISanFrancisco/status/1337477701825925120

Last edited:
Surely this will help authorities slim down their suspect list. The guy must have had an awful lot of time on his hands, illiterate, inflated sense of importance, quite a weak little fella.

Essentially was a targeted Brute Force, great effort, but not overly complex which leaves me with, why the hell did all these "experts" at the time not figure out something? They were at the point it was a fake cipher.

One note the "LIFE IS" and "DEATH" i think he made a mistake when making the cipher, it should read at end probably "DEATH IS LIFE" or "LIFE IS DEATH".

I would be interested to see some more analysis on the plain text, to see if any messages appear, I know he said it would reveal his identity, which probably it wont but still worth some more analysis.

BREAKING NEWS

Last weekend, we solved the 340 and submitted it to the FBI.
They have confirmed the solution.
Authorities have spent the time since then making the appropriate notifications to the victims’ families.
Now that the notification process is complete, we are announcing the solution in the latest episode of “Let’s Crack Zodiac”.

For a more detailed look at the story behind the solution, see this article: BREAKING NEWS: The Zodiac’s “340 Cipher” has been solved |

"They have confirmed the solution." -- what a sentence that is!

Wowie Zowie @doranchak!!
Amazing accomplishment! I am a bit of a cypher solver, but nothing one bit close to the "Zodiac Cypher"!!
It makes my head hurt to think about it. I can't imagine how you felt at that second when you knew you were close, and then you realized that you had actually done IT. Whew!
Impressive and well done!!

Please keep in touch! Much to know, much to know!

Last edited:
CONGRATULATIONS @doranchak !!

Fabulous work and a long time coming.

images

Zodiac killer code cracked by Australian mathematician Samuel Blake more than 50 years after first murder

ABC news : Australian mathematician helps crack 50-year Zodiac serial killer mystery

NBC news : 'I am not afraid of the gas chamber': Codebreakers solve Zodiac Killer cipher

From the ABC news article:
"I HOPE YOU ARE HAVING LOTS OF FUN IN TRYING TO CATCH ME

THAT WASNT ME ON THE TV SHOW

WHICH BRINGS UP A POINT ABOUT ME

I AM NOT AFRAID OF THE GAS CHAMBER

BECAUSE IT WILL SEND ME TO PARADICE ALL THE SOONER

BECAUSE I NOW HAVE ENOUGH SLAVES TO WORK FOR ME

WHERE EVERYONE ELSE HAS NOTHING WHEN THEY REACH PARADICE

SO THEY ARE AFRAID OF DEATH

I AM NOT AFRAID BECAUSE I KNOW THAT MY NEW LIFE IS

LIFE WILL BE AN EASY ONE IN PARADICE DEATH".

The misspelling of 'paradice' could be a huge lead. There was a case that was solved by the perps misspelling of antifreeze. They called it antifree or something like that. I don't remember the specifics but it was something like a wife staged her husband's suicide and the suicide note had the same 'antifree' typo as her written statement.

With the effort it took to make these codes I assume the zodiac killer liked to write and had journals. I assume he's deceased by now but a family member might still have his belongings or even recognize the 'paradice' typo.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greygooose
Back