GUILTY WI - Julie Jensen, 40, dies of antifreeze poisoning, Pleasant Prairie, 3 Dec 1998 *husband guilty*

Just saw this case on one of the reruns of the true crime shows (Dateline, 48 Hours, 20/20). Can't remember which one. Two things about it made me particularly mad- 1) that his mother/parents suggested that she did this to herself to get custody of the kids. Death by antifreeze is painful, slow, and torturous. Noone would rightfully do this themselves, and it doesn't explain the position she was found in, which smothering her does. 2) her son wouldn't have had to refer to her as his "birthmother" if he hadn't killed her and immediately replaced her with a substitute mother!!! There was another case in the South where the son acted the exact same way. How about some compassion for the victim, their own mother who loved them and wouldn't have volitionally left them??:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Hope this guy is reconvicted- he had the motive- the other woman.

A friend and I blogged the entire trial. I got Robert Jambois' questioning and my poor friend had the defense with defense attorney Craig Albee. The owner of the blog has kept it updated.

http://sprocket-trials.blogspot.com/2008/05/mark-jensen-trial-quick-links.html

What has bothered me all these years is the way the defense played Julie as a psycho while the defendant had to admit he gaslighted her with suggestive pictures appearing all over the place... none of which were Julie. Who was the real psycho?

It also bothers me that her sons now refer to Julie as their "birth mother" and considering Kelly LaBonte Jensen (lover at the time of murder, wife, ex-wife), their true mother.

Supposedly, Mark was upset that his wife had a one-night-stand seven years previously and never let her forget while he had a torrid affair with Kelly.

I hope they air the new trial.

Linas, thanks for the link. It was fantastic to see that Robert Jambois is back as prosecutor! Made my heart skip a beat. He's a man who fought so hard for justice for Julie.

From September:

Jambois withdraws from Jensen retrial

http://www.kenoshanews.com/news/jambois_withdraws_from_jensen_retrial_489707572.php

The original prosecutor for the Mark Jensen murder case will no longer be handling the retrial.

Former District Attorney Robert Jambois was expected to return to Kenosha County to lead the new prosecution of Jensen, who was charged in 2002 for the 1998 antifreeze poisoning death of his wife Julie.

District Attorney Robert Zapf hoped Jambois would lead the retrial as well. “It just made good, logical, practical sense for Mr. Jambois to continue to handle the case,” Zapf said.

However, the court received a letter late last week from Jambois’ boss, Dane County District Attorney Ismael Ozanne, saying he could not make Jambois available.

Zapf said the county already had a plan in place based on the possibility Jambois would not be available.

Assistant Attorney General Angelina Gabriele, a former Kenosha County assistant district attorney who was the second prosecutor on the case at the original trial, was already given approval from the Wisconsin Department of Justice to return as a special prosecutor for the retrial. And Deputy District Attorney Michael Graveley had already agreed to work with Gabriele and Jambois on the case.

Zapf said Gabriele and Graveley are ready to move forward. The trial is scheduled for March 6.

Jensen retrial could be Kenosha County’s most expensive prosecution

http://www.kenoshanews.com/news/jensen_retrial_could_be_kenosha_countys_most_expensive_prosecution_491783235.php

Jensen is expected to go to trial in September for the death of his wife Julie Jensen nearly 20 years ago.

Special prosecutor Robert Jambois told Circuit Court Judge Chad Kerkman at a recent hearing that he expects the trial will take four to five weeks.

“I anticipate that the Jensen trial, overall, will cost the prosecution — meaning Kenosha County — more than $80,000,” Kenosha County District Attorney Michael Graveley said, noting that would be the most expensive trial in the county’s history.

Graveley said the county, anticipating the costs of the trial, set aside $40,000 in previous budgets for the case. That money has carried over to this fiscal year. “I think it was budgeted a couple of years ago. The case was delayed a number of times, so that money has never been spent.”

The prosecutor praised the county’s planning process for putting the money aside. “A case like this could bust the budget for anybody,” he said.

Graveley said costs associated with the trial include paying for the time and travel of expert witnesses — people like toxicologists and medical examiners — something he anticipates will cost between $25,000 and $35,000.

“There will also be witnesses transported from all sorts of locations. This happened so long ago that a lot of the witnesses have moved. We are obligated to pay their travel and lodging,” he said.

Judge cancels retrial, reinstates homicide conviction in 1998 antifreeze poisoning

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/crime/2017/09/01/kenosha-judate-again-wants-vicitms-voice-grave-evidence-against-mark-jensen-1998-antifreeze-poisonin/616131001/?cookies=&from=global

In a hearing on numerous pretrial motions Friday, Kenosha County Circuit Judge Chad Kerkman granted special prosecutor Robert Jambois' motion to simply reinstate Jensen's conviction — and his life sentence — without a retrial. Jambois was the Kenosha County district attorney when he first tried the case in 2008.

Kerkman said that since he had ruled in July that Julie's letter was, in fact, admissible as non-testimonial evidence, he didn't see the point of an expensive, six- to seven-week retrial when the materially same evidence would likely produce the same outcome. He canceled the Sept. 25 trial date.

Jensen's attorney, Deja Vishny, said she completely disagreed and promised the matter would return to federal court, where U.S. District Judge William Griesbach ruled in 2013 that Jensen deserved a new trial, or should be released, a decision upheld by the U.S. 7th Circuit Court of Appeals.

"Our position is the letter and other statements are testimonial and can't be admitted as evidence," Vishny said. "Our client is innocent and looking forward to a new trial."

New trial ordered in 1998 Kenosha antifreeze homicide

The state Supreme Court on Thursday ruled, again, that incriminating statements Jensen's wife Julie made about him — revealed after she had died — cannot be used as evidence against him at trial.

Prosecutors highlighted a letter Julie had left with a neighbor, and voicemails she left with a police officer, suggesting that if she wound up dead, her husband was likely responsible. Whether or not to allow that evidence was subject of much pretrial litigation, and later appeals.

I am probably one of the few that would have voted NG, I think his defence lawyer did a stellar job, especially in relation to anti freeze, the jail house snitch shouldn't have been allowed and the ME was changing and adding to her findings on the word of a jail house snitch. I am on the fence as to whether he is guilty but it got nowhere near BARD for me. I hope they stream his new trial.

I thought first time round the letter would be an issue. it has taken a very long time from first reversal to conviction overturned.

I thought first time round the letter would be an issue. it has taken a very long time from first reversal to conviction overturned.

Yes, the way the judge called it a dying declaration during the sentencing seemed kind of off to me.

I really went down the rabbit hole on this one during Covid lol. Dug up old articles on Wayback etc.... Really wished I would have followed it at the time.

this is one case I have followed since initial trial, his atty IMO was stellar, he had learned so much about ethanol glycol that he ran rings round some of the experts, the medical examiner changed her manner of death, and they used one of my absolute pet peeves a jail house snitch

we shall see how it goes second time around, BARD was not even close for me,

this is one case I have followed since initial trial, his atty IMO was stellar, he had learned so much about ethanol glycol that he ran rings round some of the experts, the medical examiner changed her manner of death, and they used one of my absolute pet peeves a jail house snitch

we shall see how it goes second time around, BARD was not even close for me,

I thought that attorney was still with him, but he's got 2 different ones now.

I thought that attorney was still with him, but he's got 2 different ones now.

I did see an article about Albee being reappointed but I can't access it as a lot of US written media is prohibited in Europe, due to something to do with data protection,

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trotski24
Back