HI HI - Hauula, 'Barnacle Bill' UP6909, 19-25, SCUBA suit bought In Tacoma, Nov'82

I found Dana Torgeson, he went apparently went missing in 1985 but I feel like things line up too well to not bring up. Maybe the date he was reported missing was incorrect?
Dana Carl Torgeson – The Charley Project
Age, height, and hair color all match, and he was missing his left hand. He also went missing from Washington, where Bill bought his suit.

Wonder what the "traffic problem" was?

Did Mr. Torgeson own (or have access to) and ocean-going boat, stocked with survival suits?

A boat that never returned to the harbor?

jmho ymmv lrr

Last edited:
I'm glad to see the attention on Barnacle Bill's case. I don't have anything "new" to share, just likely supporting info to that has already been provided. I found an old email I had sent to another party in July 2011 based on a July 2011 article from KATU news out of Washington (I do have this article information, just want to ensure if I post it that I do so correctly and in accordance with forum rules) I had communicated several years prior with Dr. Ebbesmeyer on the case and based on his knowledge and researcher as an oceanographer, he felt the individual likely originated from the Alaskan waters and likely within prior 2 years. This would seem to be supported by the manufacturer date on the suit and perhaps scientific knowledge on the maturation/size of barnacles. I'm hopeful that dental records (and perhaps tissue samples) were retained for comparative purposes. Keep the hope on the tissue samples, I'm presently involved with a 1990 Doe case where they were just "found" with an office move and reorganization. Peace.

I found this info today on the M/V Holoholo (legal docs say it was "a 90-foot Alaskan power scow converted to other uses") that sunk off Hawaii in 1978.

Most of the ages of those onboard are to high but missing crewman James Ruseckas was 21 according to James Edward Ruseckas (unknown-1978) - Find A...

40th anniversary of the disappearance at sea of UH research ship
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this ship lost a year before the Bayley suit was manufactured?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this ship lost a year before the Bayley suit was manufactured?

You're right. I missed that.

copied from NAMUS:

Red SCUBA-like suit with mittens, boots & hood; encrusted with marine crustaceans; label stated:
Exposure Suit
Bayley Suit, Inc.
900 S. Fortuna Blvd.
Fortuna, CA 95540
Model 7-01-00
Serial 1-38-54
Date 4-3--79

Size Adult

Last edited:
I've been digging into the archives to find other instances of people who went missing at sea between 1979 and 1982 and found a few potential matches. So far the strongest one I've come across (barring the age difference with the UID) is James (Jim) L. Paul, a 45-year-old resident of Tacoma and owner of Palco Steel & Salvage Co., who went missing in high seas off Westport on August 23, 1981.

Paul and his longtime partner and friend, 47-year-old Sterling D. Hahn, who owned the boat the Over-Dew, a 26-foot Sabrecraft, had gone fishing off Westport, departing at roughly 7 a.m. According to Hahn, who survived the ordeal, said that around 9:30 a.m. "we were out there in the swells, when all of a sudden a big breaker hit us and my boat, the Over-Dew, started to break up."

Paul and Hahn both clung to the wreckage, and though they were continuously washed off by the turbulent sea, they managed to swim back and grab hold again. "For the first half hour we were together on and off the boat. Then I lost track of Jim. We kept hollering to each other, trying to encourage each other to hang on," Hahn recalled. At about 11 o'clock, Hahn was picked up by the Coast Guard and taken to Grays Harbor Community Hospital for hypothermia and shock, then released. Although they kept a cutter in the water just in case, the Coast Guard suspended their search for Paul at about 1 p.m.

Reasons for a possible match with 'Barnacle Bill':
  • First, and perhaps the most obvious, is that Jim Paul was from Tacoma, which is where the survival suit was purchased. Even more compelling is the fact that Jim's business was located at 1620 Lincoln Ave. in Tacoma, only a four minute drive away from what was then Tacoma Marine (759 Port of Tacoma Road), which sold sailing accessories and gear, among other marine-related items.
  • Second, as was explained earlier in the thread by @Captain Warren Good, a body would probably take roughly a year to travel to Hawaii from the coast of Oregon / Washington––Jim Paul was lost at sea on August 23, 1981, and 'Barnacle Bill' washed ashore in Hawaii in November 1982.
Potential reasons Jim is not 'Barnacle Bill':
  • First, at 45, Jim is significantly older than the 19-25 year-old age range given for 'Barnacle Bill.'
  • Second, I could not find any physical description of Jim so I have no clue if he matches 'Barnacle Bill''s characteristics.
--
Sources:

CG saves fisherman; Tacoman missing: Rough seas capsize boat, thwart rescuers,” News Tribune [Tacoma], 24 August 1981, pg. A-1.

Jack Pyle, “Waves ripped pair off capsized boat: CG unable to save fisherman,” News Tribune [Tacoma], 24 August 1981, pg. A-2.

Tacoma Marine advertisement, News Tribune [Tacoma], 30 July 1979, pg. B-8.

Attachments

• CG saves fisherman;.jpg
    CG saves fisherman;.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Waves ripped pair o.jpg
    Waves ripped pair o.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Tacoma Marine ad.jpg
    Tacoma Marine ad.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 12
I've been digging into the archives to find other instances of people who went missing at sea between 1979 and 1982 and found a few potential matches. So far the strongest one I've come across (barring the age difference with the UID) is James (Jim) L. Paul, a 45-year-old resident of Tacoma and owner of Palco Steel & Salvage Co., who went missing in high seas off Westport on August 23, 1981.

Paul and his longtime partner and friend, 47-year-old Sterling D. Hahn, who owned the boat the Over-Dew, a 26-foot Sabrecraft, had gone fishing off Westport, departing at roughly 7 a.m. According to Hahn, who survived the ordeal, said that around 9:30 a.m. "we were out there in the swells, when all of a sudden a big breaker hit us and my boat, the Over-Dew, started to break up."

Paul and Hahn both clung to the wreckage, and though they were continuously washed off by the turbulent sea, they managed to swim back and grab hold again. "For the first half hour we were together on and off the boat. Then I lost track of Jim. We kept hollering to each other, trying to encourage each other to hang on," Hahn recalled. At about 11 o'clock, Hahn was picked up by the Coast Guard and taken to Grays Harbor Community Hospital for hypothermia and shock, then released. Although they kept a cutter in the water just in case, the Coast Guard suspended their search for Paul at about 1 p.m.

• First, and perhaps the most obvious, is that Jim Paul was from Tacoma, which is where the survival suit was purchased. Even more compelling is the fact that Jim's business was located at 1620 Lincoln Ave. in Tacoma, only a four minute drive away from what was then Tacoma Marine (759 Port of Tacoma Road), which sold sailing accessories and gear, among other marine-related items.
  • Second, as was explained earlier in the thread by @Captain Warren Good, a body would probably take roughly a year to travel to Hawaii from the coast of Oregon / Washington––Jim Paul was lost at sea on August 23, 1981, and 'Barnacle Bill' washed ashore in Hawaii in November 1982.
  • First, at 45, Jim is significantly older than the 19-25 year-old age range given for 'Barnacle Bill.'
  • Second, I could not find any physical description of Jim so I have no clue if he matches 'Barnacle Bill''s characteristics.
--
Sources:

CG saves fisherman; Tacoman missing: Rough seas capsize boat, thwart rescuers,” News Tribune [Tacoma], 24 August 1981, pg. A-1.

Jack Pyle, “Waves ripped pair off capsized boat: CG unable to save fisherman,” News Tribune [Tacoma], 24 August 1981, pg. A-2.

I think the remains were probably in very poor condition - water would have gotten into the suit. If it was floating that long, the injuries could have been post-mortem. The bones might have been damaged to a point where age-identifying characteristics might have uncertainties.

--
Sources:

This is great research. Thank you!

--
Sources:

Please submit the potential match!

Please submit the potential match!
Yes. This is the best match so far. I wonder if the other survivor of the shipwreck is still living? He would know if they had time to don survival suits.
The Coast Guard report of the incident might have valuable information that would not involve contacting people, which we are not supposed to do.

Sterling D Hahn passed in Sept 2018. From the articles I have read it seems to me that they were caught off guard by a rouge wave while fishing with no mention of diving suits.

Yes. This is the best match so far. I wonder if the other survivor of the shipwreck is still living? He would know if they had time to don survival suits.
The Coast Guard report of the incident might have valuable information that would not involve contacting people, which we are not supposed to do.

Some boaters and fishing boat crew actually wear survival suits when they know they're going into rough waters, especially if air temperatures are low. The Coast Guard itself does this. The suits have pockets and aren't that uncomfortable. The materials for most of these suits are usually flexible. Once you get into one and zip it up, it also serves as a cool weather layer. As noted above, the Bayley exposure suit is a survival suit. It is not possible to dive in it - it is designed to keep a person floating. The collar on these served as a flotation device.

It can take time to put on a survival suit, and I think it would be difficult or impossible to put on if a boat capsized.

Last edited:
Sterling D Hahn passed in Sept 2018. From the articles I have read it seems to me that they were caught off guard by a rouge wave while fishing with no mention of diving suits.
I think the match should still be submitted. There's too many potential links. If they, or at least Paul, were wearing survival suits, it seems odd the CG called off their search that quickly. But maybe the CG had to consider their own safety first.

(Welcome back member Magnum P.E.)-the unidentified
person is more likely to be that which member JaneGaGa
suggested;
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Missing Person / NamUs #MP73779 Richard Jack Cobler .

The Honolulu County Medical Examiner may or may not
be able to locate any remains of Unidentified Person/
NamUs #UP6909
in the present day under their leaky roof, but their file
surely still contains whatever dental records they used
previously to try to identify that unidentified person;
Code:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/hi-hauula-barnacle-bill-up6909-19-25-scuba-suit-bought-in-tacoma-nov82.144556/page-2#post-12516351
notwithstanding that that Unidentified Person/
NamUs #UP6909
had most of their teeth missing post mortem;
Code:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/hi-hauula-barnacle-bill-up6909-19-25-scuba-suit-bought-in-tacoma-nov82.144556/#post-6906309

It is not clear from the reports on Richard Jack Cobler
if the 'boat drill' they conducted on the R/V Wecoma was
actioned as a routine drill, or if it was actioned in
response to someone noticing that Richard Jack Cobler
was missing. If the former, it could be theorized that
Richard Jack Cobler donned one of the ships exposure
suits (as may be the normal procedure for a 'boat drill'
for a ship based out of Oregon) and arrived on the
(life)boat deck before the other crewmembers. An
exposure suit limits your dexterity - he could have
slipped on the deck and smashed his face on a deck
fitting, then fallen overboard stunned or unconscious.
If he got sucked into the propeller wash, his left arm
about the left elbow could have been sliced or
amputated as a result of that (maybe the facial damage
also?). The police report of the discovery of the suit &
human remains should detail if the suit found was
ripped open or missing the suit part below the left
elbow. I suppose a shark could also be responsible
for the amputation (sometime after death).

There are pictures of the R/V Wecoma, appearing to
showing barrel like, clamshell containers containing
(inflatable?) liferafts i.e about the left middle deck
of that ship;
Code:
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/photos/of/ships/shipid:357177/ships
It is not clear if those type containers were present in
1979. In about 1994 the R/V Wecoma underwent a refit,
so if someone can find pictures of the R/V Wecoma prior
to the 1990's, to see what was present then (more basic
actual hard lifeboats with inplace ship safety railings?)
and to see where the lifeboats were situated in 1979 on
the ship, that would be of interest.

The R/V Wecoma was retired & went to the ship breakers
circa 2012. Considerable information about it still exists
online;
Code:
https://web.archive.org/web/20101229082639/http://www.shipops.oregonstate.edu/ops/wecoma/
Given that the R/V Wecoma was a proper ship, no doubt
with a quartermaster and a requirement for records to be
kept regarding the safety equipment on board, there exists
the possibility that the University of Oregon may have
records from that period detailing purchases and listed
inventory of the R/V Wecoma - i.e. possibily had Bayley
Suits with notations as to serial numbers.
Some information as to which Offices or which personnel
were involved in the administration of the R/V Wecoma
during this century are noted here;
Code:
https://web.archive.org/web/20110720024239/http://www.shipops.oregonstate.edu/ops/wecoma/cpm.html#Section I

------------

Another avenue of enquiry is that Bayley Suit Inc was the
subject of a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission
and the subject of a Consent Order, which may be able to
be viewed at this link by scrolling up & down;
Code:
https://books.google.com/books?id=I58Gs64dLVIC&pg=PA1291&lpg=PA1291&dq="Bayley+Suit+Inc."+california&source=bl&ots=CEYNPaPAtW&sig=ACfU3U3Wm5-jKmkmd2HYICsQcjZ2HPXp-g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjy4ZDkirDwAhWFxzgGHdmFD0kQ6AEwBHoECAQQAw#v=onepage&q="Bayley Suit Inc." california&f=false

Quoted from the above link;
" Federal Trade Commission Decisions
Docket C-3117, Complaint, Sept 30, 1983-Decision, Sept.
30, 1983
"consent order requires the Fortuna, Calif. manufacturer
of the "Bayley exposure suit," among other things, to
publish advertisements, sent notices, and use its best
efforts to locate and notify users of the suits that the
bladder hose assembly used to inflate the flotation
pillow requires a safety modification. The manufacturer
must send to each BayleySuit user who requests it, a
retrofit kit, together with understandable instructions
to permit easy repair of the suit. If, by July 15, 1983,
80% of BayleySuit users have not requested a retrofit
kit, the manufacturer must search dealer records, ship
registeries and listings, and the rolls of fisherman's
unions to obtain the names and addresses of retail
purchasers, so they can be notified by letter of the
safety hazard and provided with a repair kit request
card." "

---
Therefore, it is possible that if 80% of BayleySuit users
did not request the mentioned 'retrofit kit' (for a suit
manufactured before June 1980), then in the records of
the FTC may exist a Bayley Suit Inc provided list of
purchasers of the Bayley Suits (possibly including suit
serial numbers).

The lawyer that appeared for the FTC in the matter of
that complaint, Dennis D. McFeely, that lawyer being
noted from the Consent Order above, is likely the ~88
or 89 year old currently living in Seattle and findable
online.

Even if it eventuates that Bayley Suit Inc did not end up
having to provide the FTC with a copy of such a list, it
is possible that Bayley Suit Inc may have produced such
a list in advance readiness and provided such a list to
their lawyers in the matter, that lawyer being noted from
the Consent Order as Richard D. Warren, still apparently
in practice as his public résumé shows;
Code:
https://www.avvo.com/attorneys/94707-ca-richard-warren-318225.html
----------

As a general note, readers may be able to view a circa
1980's, later model of a Bayley exposure suit at this link;
Code:
https://books.google.com/books?id=XJl7F8MllngC&pg=RA3-PA316&lpg=RA3-PA316&dq="Bayley+Suit+Inc."+california&source=bl&ots=3OixtTiXkK&sig=ACfU3U264OhivTCm1iX_ZqqatZu0iritbw&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q="Bayley Suit Inc." california&f=false

Note that in the picture seen in the above link, the
flotation pillow is shown inflated - it acts to keep
the face above the water surface. I assume that even
when uninflated (if the wearer has not inflated it),
the pillow and suit itself have sufficient buoyancy to
float at the water surface interface, or at least just
under it.

Last edited:

rsbm

@citizen_sleuth , did you submit James L. Paul as a possible match for our Barnacle Bill?

TY!

jmho ymmv lrr

I've always been struck with the individual wearing jean shorts underneath the immersion suit. In reading the amount of time required to don the suit, what I have seen is they must be designed to enable the user to put it on within 2 minutes, including any change of clothing and getting on a life jacket. Having said that, this person had enough time to get the suit on (a) knowing they were going in the water, and (2) was likely in a climate where jean shorts were appropriate (either on the deck or in the cabin, assuming there was one). I wonder if this person was even searched for - I would think, albeit I do not know such things - that any search crew would be specifically looking for any type of life saving equipment, including an immersion suit.

I found this info today on the M/V Holoholo (legal docs say it was "a 90-foot Alaskan power scow converted to other uses") that sunk off Hawaii in 1978.

Most of the ages of those onboard are to high but missing crewman James Ruseckas was 21 according to James Edward Ruseckas (unknown-1978) - Find A...

40th anniversary of the disappearance at sea of UH research ship

That's a sad story. The ship had been retrofitted to accommodate its research nature but was deemed unseaworthy after the investigation.

I found Dana Torgeson, he went apparently went missing in 1985 but I feel like things line up too well to not bring up. Maybe the date he was reported missing was incorrect?
Dana Carl Torgeson – The Charley Project
Age, height, and hair color all match, and he was missing his left hand. He also went missing from Washington, where Bill bought his suit.
Not sure if Torgeson fits as he went missing from across the state and he's not known to have been a sailor. But he's one of the few, if only, proposed matches known to have a missing hand.

If BB was indeed missing a hand, it might explain in part why he was both wearing an exposure suit yet only wearing shorts under it. Putting on an exposure suit quickly in an emergency would likely be much harder with a prosthetic hand, so maybe he slipped it on ahead of time as a reasonable precaution.
ETA - not sure about the prosthetic hand as none was found with BB.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Findhim
Back