Found Deceased CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #7 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monday, February 28th:
*Pretrial Trial Setting Conference Hearing (@ 9am PT) – CA – Blaze Bernstein (19) (Jan. 2, 2018, Lake Forest; found Jan. 9, 2018; he was stabbed 19 times in his neck; 14 times on the left, 5 on the right & 1 stab wound in his left knee) – *Samuel Lincoln Woodward (20/now 23) arrested & charged (1/17/18) with 1 count of felony murder with a hate crime enhancement for killing someone because of their sexual orientation & sentencing enhancement-personal use of a knife. Plead not guilty (again on 11/9/18). $5M bail, bail revoked (11/9/18).
Could be sentenced from 26 years to life in prison without parole.
Trial set to begin on 3/4/22.

Court hearings from 2/2/18 thru 10/25/21 reference post #953 here:
Found Deceased - CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #7 *Arrest*

11/10/21 Update: Motion to continue trial-granted. Next pretrial readiness hearing on 1/21/22 & trial now set to begin on 3/4/22. 1/21/22 Update: Next pretrial trial readiness conference hearing on 2/25/22.
2/25/22 Update: Motion for continuance. Next pretrial trial setting conference hearing on 2/28/22 @ 9am.
Sorry if this is an obvious answer that I just don’t know- where are you finding the trial update info? And is there any update for after the recent one on the 4th?

I posted a couple of months ago about his mom having an ad in a church bulletin that I went to (I went to high school with Blaze and Sam). She is a parishioner of that church, making her Catholic.

Their church and priest were mentioned in one of the earliest articles. The only photo I’ve seen of the parents in a news clip said she was a counselor. Maybe it was aka an attorney.

<modsnip - rude>His mom has many times repeated she is an attorney, and they are Jewish and were therefore active in their synagogue not "church".

Can you attach the references mentioned? I’ve only seen her one time so I must have missed the “many times” she repeated she is an attorney.

TIA

Found this in an early post. It says that he is from a “devout Catholic family”

How a gay teen, an internet Nazi, and a late-night rendezvous turned to tragedy

A public charter school nestled among some of the highest-income zip codes in California, OCSA is selective, with an audition required for admission and an artsy, progressive culture. Sam, a conservative from a devoutly Catholic family, didn’t fit in. He cultivated an aggressive, macho persona and seemed to relish upsetting classmates and teachers. In graphic-design class, he showed off a Confederate flag he’d drawn. For a music project, he chose Johnny Cash’s cover of Nine Inch Nails’ “Hurt,” an ode to self-destruction. He didn’t seem to have friends or be trying to make any. “Every high school has the kid who is just off,” Sean Corfield, who knew Sam then, told me. “If there was going to be a shooting, he’d be the guy.”

This is where my comment came from....

The synagogue is the Jewish equivalent of a church, more or less. It is the center of the Jewish religious community: a place of prayer, study and education, social and charitable work, as well as a social center.

A Jewish "church" is called a synagogue, shul or temple

Judaism 101: Synagogues, Shuls and Temples
It's not the same religion, nor is it equivalent. You would never call a temple or a synagogue a "Jewish church".

Gay Ivy League student's alleged killer is devout Catholic | Daily Mail Online

“His mother Michele is a therapist and his father Blake is the vice president of a commercial real estate.

Earlier in the week, Michele read a statement outside their home to ask for privacy.

'This is a time of great suffering, and we would ask that you would respect that suffering. Thank you very much,' she said”

Sorry if this is an obvious answer that I just don’t know- where are you finding the trial update info? And is there any update for after the recent one on the 4th?

He is in Riverside County - and I rely on @Mica for my court dates going forward. So maybe she will see your post & give you a link.

The trial update information is posted on the the Orange County Superior Court portal.

Yes, the ad in the church bulletin was for her therapy services.
Can you attach the references mentioned? I’ve only seen her one time so I must have missed the “many times” she repeated she is an attorney.

TIA
I believe the misunderstanding here is that posters are referring to the two women as “the mother” and 5here are actually two mothers. Blaze’s mom who is the attorney and Jewish; and Sam’s mom who is the counselor and Catholic.

I believe the misunderstanding here is that posters are referring to the two women as “the mother” and 5here are actually two mothers. Blaze’s mom who is the attorney and Jewish; and Sam’s mom who is the counselor and Catholic.

(and “counselor” is a synonym for “attorney.”)

Correct and thanks @Mominmi we were originally discussing how there has been barely any info from the Woodward side. Someone accidentally thought we were referring to Blaze’s Mom.

It makes me so sad that there's little (nothing!) in the news about the trial - what happened on 3/4 and why is nothing being reported? This was a big story when it happened.

It’s very unusual especially in OC to not have any reporting on this. Maybe eventually we will find out what the reason for it is.

Friday, April 8th:
*Pretrial Readiness Conference Hearing (@ 9am PT) – CA – Blaze Bernstein (19) (Jan. 2, 2018, Lake Forest; found Jan. 9, 2018; he was stabbed 19 times in his neck; 14 times on the left, 5 on the right & 1 stab wound in his left knee) – *Samuel Lincoln Woodward (20/now 23) arrested & charged (1/17/18) with 1 count of felony murder with a hate crime enhancement for killing someone because of their sexual orientation & sentencing enhancement-personal use of a knife. Plead not guilty (again on 11/9/18). $5M bail, bail revoked (11/9/18).
Could be sentenced from 26 years to life in prison without parole.
Trial was set to begin on 3/4/22 continued to 4/27/22.

Court hearings from 2/2/18 thru 1/21/22 reference post #967 here:
Found Deceased - CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #7 *Arrest*

2/25/22 Update: Motion for continuance. Next pretrial trial setting conference hearing on 2/28/22 @ 9am. 2/28/22 Update: Motion for trial continuance-granted. Today’s hearing was cancelled & also 3/4/2022 Jury Trial hearing. Next hearing 3/4/22 for pretrial trial setting conference hearing @ 9am.
3/4/22 Update: Hearing was held. Next pretrial readiness conference hearing on 4/8/22 & trial set to begin on 4/27/22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Babs1966