PA PA - Candice Caffas, 34, Endangered Advisory, mental health disability, climbed out window, Meadville, 15 July 2022

You can find some of those answers here: Log into Facebook
I'd love to be able to discuss more but the information only seems to be available from family and friends on social media and not picked up by mainstream news yet...
Thank you, this gives me a far better idea of what is going on.
Given these learnings, I suggest restaurants and restaurant dumpsters be watched carefully.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Mark Weindorf, executive director of The Arc, told the Tribune on Friday that Caffas’ relatives have put up a $2,500 reward for information that leads to her being found.

Pennsylvania State Police have halted the organized, large-scale search for a missing endangered person in Crawford County, according to a news release Sunday.

All current leads in the search for Candice Caffas were exhausted Saturday, troopers said.

State Police said they plan to take appropriate action if any new credible leads come up.
https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/4...-for-candice-caffas-halted-in-crawford-county

I understand no new leads but this makes me concerned. This disabled woman is out there and any number of things can or could have already happened to her. This isn't a case where an adult can decide to disappear and the family just needs to accept it. This woman needs found, sooner rather than later.

:( Where are you Candice?

It might be time to regroup and choose a different search strategy as what has been done so far hasn't worked, but I am also concerned about them stopping all together. This seems a special case, JMO.

MEADVILLE — Carol Caffas said her daughter is not prepared to be out on her own.

"She knows where she lives, but she doesn't know how to get home from somewhere myself or her dad have ever been to with her," she said. "The sightings she was seen at, we've never been there with her."

Candice Caffas, 34, left her Crawford County home after climbing out a window on July 15 or July 16. She was last seen at her residence in the 9100 block of Mount Pleasant Road in Union Township, south of Meadville, state police reported.

Carol Caffas said her daughter was diagnosed with Prader-Willi syndrome, a rare genetic disorder that results in a number of physical, mental and behavioral problems.

A key feature of Prader-Willi syndrome is a constant sense of hunger, which Carol Caffas said her daughter experienced frequently.

“She’s always hungry,” she said.

Due to Candace Caffas' heightened need for food, Carol Caffas said grocery stores, convenience stores and gas stations were the first places her family searched. Carol Caffas believes her daughter would seek out food where ever she could find it.

"If your house was unlocked ... I think if there (was a possibility) food might be in there, she would check," she said.

Carol Caffas said her daughter ran away on July 12, just days before her current disappearance. Candace Caffas escaped through her bedroom window and was gone for about two hours, her mother said.

“We found her swimming in French Creek,” she said.

Before the most recent incidents, Carol Caffas said her daughter hadn’t run away since she was 15 or 16 years old.

Carol Caffas said she was unsure of where her daughter might’ve gone or why, but her family is keeping a close eye on any leads.

“We never know why she runs away,” she said.

Since her daughter has been missing for more than a week, Carol Caffas said she might not be dressed in the same clothes she was wearing when the report was made.

"If she got into someone’s house she maybe changed clothes, but it seems like someone would notice and ask, 'Where did this little pile of dirty clothes come from?,' but we don’t know," Carol Caffas said.

After learning authorities chose to suspend large-scale searches for her daughter, Carol Caffas couldn't describe how it made her feel, but that her search will continue until she's found.

“It’s not frustrating. I’m just scared to death. I don’t know where she is,” said Carol Caffas.

"The people who show up (for searches) are a lot of family and some volunteers," she said. "People have put out on Facebook to look in sheds, garages, anything that’s unlocked ... Just to be looking everywhere.

"Family and friends are out no matter what support we have, we’re looking; every day, morning till night."

Pennsylvania State Police at Meadville on Wednesday posted two updates regarding the search for a missing woman from Union Township. The updates were the first from state police since large-scale search efforts were halted over the weekend.

Candice Caffas, 34, who resides in the 9100 block of Mount Pleasant Road, climbed out of a bathroom window in her residence between 10 p.m. July 15 and 3 a.m. July 16. She is considered to be in danger due to a mental health disability, according to police.

In one update, state police acknowledged a “possible sighting” of Caffas early in the search. According to police, Caffas may have been seen heading west toward Conneaut Lake near Route 285 in the Geneva area. Her home is located near Ernst Trail about 3 miles south of Meadville.

In a second update, police revised the description of Caffas originally provided in a July 16 press release. Caffas was last known to be wearing orange shorts with a white floral pattern, according to the update. She had originally been described as wearing orange pants with flower designs..

In the Wednesday updates, state police again stressed that “any and all leads pertaining to this investigation” are still being investigated.

If I understand the level of assistance the missing person needs, I can only speculate that she is either being held by someone, has passed as a result of being on her own in the elements, or there is foul play.

It seems highly unlikely (given the description of her disability), that she would be able to self-sustain for so long.

I hope that LE is/has interviewed anyone who had access to her.
BTW, was there ever any explanation as to how her two front teeth are missing? There may be a reasonable explanation, but I find it quite concerning.

I think this is the first time we've heard anything from a family member in MSM? And first time they've acknowledged her exact disability.

I wonder if she takes medication for PWS that would be critical for her. Googling mentions hormone therapy but that's about it.

If I understand the level of assistance the missing person needs, I can only speculate that she is either being held by someone, has passed as a result of being on her own in the elements, or there is foul play.

It seems highly unlikely (given the description of her disability), that she would be able to self-sustain for so long.

I hope that LE is/has interviewed anyone who had access to her.
BTW, was there ever any explanation as to how her two front teeth are missing? There may be a reasonable explanation, but I find it quite concerning.

one of the potential issues with PWS is tooth decay.

Children and adults with Prader-Willi syndrome (PWS) of all ages face lifelong challenges in
the area of dental health. People who have Prader-Willi syndrome have decreased, thick and
sticky saliva that adheres to teeth and harbors bacteria that can cause decay and periodontal
disease. Some also breathe through their mouth which may result in the development of
narrow arches and crowding of teeth. Many experience severe tooth grinding with increased
tooth wear. There are many steps that can be taken to prevent or minimize problems as well as
promote good dental health in everyone with PWS
https://www.pwsausa.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Dental-Care_MA-111.pdf

I think this is the first time we've heard anything from a family member in MSM? And first time they've acknowledged her exact disability.

I wonder if she takes medication for PWS that would be critical for her. Googling mentions hormone therapy but that's about it.
BBM

Her mother and uncle both spoke in a news video that was linked on page 1 of this thread. They didn't mention the PWS, but they did speak out in MSM early in the search.

*Food surely is the key to finding her. Upthread mom stated:
“She’s always hungry,” I’m curious if mom thought Candice had an issue with overeating. Was her food intake monitored or controlled?

If left uncontrolled and untreated, morbid obesity can develop, potentially leading to life-threatening heart and lung complications, diabetes, high blood pressure (hypertension), and to other serious complications. The compulsion to eat is so overwhelming that people with this disorder, if left unsupervised, may endanger themselves by eating harmful food such as spoiled food or garbage and excessive quantities, harmful to the stomach. Affected children may also exhibit unusual behaviors regarding food including hoarding and/or foraging for food, stealing food, and stealing money to buy food.

• Food craving and weight gain. A classic sign of Prader-Willi syndrome is a constant craving for food, resulting in rapid weight gain, starting around age 2 years. Constant hunger leads to eating often and consuming large portions. Unusual food-seeking behaviors, such as hoarding food, or eating frozen food or even garbage, may develop.
  • Prader-Willi syndrome - Symptoms and causes
@rosesfromangels The missing two front teeth are concerning. Candice is only 34. Usually any tooth loss from age or decay would begin with teeth toward the back. Assumption is always dangerous, but I have to conclude it would have had to be injury related... what happened?

Here is a case of a missing woman with the same syndrome.
It's been a long time.

Candice needs to be found!

Here is a case of a missing woman with the same syndrome.
It's been a long time.

Candice needs to be found!
A few others:

“The last few days we’ve been doing a lot of ground searching. A lot of door to door knocking on the doors, giving out the flyers, and working with the businesses trying to get as much information out as possible,” said Stacy Cummings, caretaker of Candice Caffas.

There are groups going into the woods individually trying to find any clues that we could possibly find any evidence, because this is the official road where she was last sighted at,” Cummings added.

Cummings said the last sighting of Caffas was by three to four individuals on Route 285 in Geneva heading towards Conneaut Lake.

“If this is her last sighting, then that’s where we’re going to be until we get anymore type of sightings or anymore information because that’s all we really have to go on at this point,” said Cummings.

A psychic investigator for missing persons told us what led her to devote five hours to searching for Caffas on Thursday morning.

“I picked up something with my leg and my knee area and when I have done before and connecting with water. Then I was really connected with the railroad tracks, but I wasn’t sure if it was tracks or trails and then it was confirmed today that she likes walking the tracks and trails,” said Juanita Szafranski, psychic investigator for missing persons.

“We’re asking people to check campgrounds, check underneath your porches, check your sheds, check your garbage make sure it hasn’t been touched,” Cummings said.

*Food surely is the key to finding her. Upthread mom stated:
“She’s always hungry,” I’m curious if mom thought Candice had an issue with overeating. Was her food intake monitored or controlled?

If left uncontrolled and untreated, morbid obesity can develop, potentially leading to life-threatening heart and lung complications, diabetes, high blood pressure (hypertension), and to other serious complications. The compulsion to eat is so overwhelming that people with this disorder, if left unsupervised, may endanger themselves by eating harmful food such as spoiled food or garbage and excessive quantities, harmful to the stomach. Affected children may also exhibit unusual behaviors regarding food including hoarding and/or foraging for food, stealing food, and stealing money to buy food.

• Food craving and weight gain. A classic sign of Prader-Willi syndrome is a constant craving for food, resulting in rapid weight gain, starting around age 2 years. Constant hunger leads to eating often and consuming large portions. Unusual food-seeking behaviors, such as hoarding food, or eating frozen food or even garbage, may develop.
  • Prader-Willi syndrome - Symptoms and causes
@rosesfromangels The missing two front teeth are concerning. Candice is only 34. Usually any tooth loss from age or decay would begin with teeth toward the back. Assumption is always dangerous, but I have to conclude it would have had to be injury related... what happened?

I’m not a PW expert. But in my very limited experience, I’ve never seen an adult with PW able to live independently. Some group homes are excellent with things like regular dental hygiene and locking up food and some are not. Ditto for injuries (and those w PW are likely at an increased risk due to low muscle tone). It’s such a cruel condition.

I can’t shake the concern of the potential of foul play with this case. Given the description of the missing person’s disability, I find it hard to believe she could self sustain for this long. Who has her, or who harmed her? Of course she could have walked away and met with misadventure, but I think this should be looked at from a criminal perspective as well.

[Snipped for focus by tlcya]
grandma, I would have thought so too. I don't know much about PWS but this case has been educating me.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...-pulp-exposure-in-6-teeth-in-a_fig1_225068013
https://www.researchgate.net/figure...clinical-manifestations-in-the_fig2_339156601

In looking at images of PWS dental patients, it appears the front teeth suffer as much if not more.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kelc3769
Back