UK - Nurse Lucy Letby Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADMIN NOTE:

This is a trial thread to discuss the trial only. It is not a general discussion thread.

Although WS is based in the USA, we do try to manage the various discussions according to laws of other countries.

As this trial is in the UK, the case is under sub judice so please stick to discussing the trial content without posting anything that violates the following principles:

Basically anything that may prejudice the accused’s right to a fair trial
Any suggestion, opinion, or direct accusations that the accused is either guilty OR innocent
(i.e. the accused cannot be called "the killer"; use "the accused", "the alleged killer", or "the defendant")
A defendant’s previous history of any offences is off limits
Scandalizing the court (disparaging judges, lawyers, any officer of the Court) is off limits
Broadcasting anything about proceedings which happen in the jury's absence is off limits
Any non compliance with an Order of the court is off limits

Note in the event of an Appeal subsequent to verdict:

Appeals are usually heard by senior judges who are not likely to be influenced by the media, therefore responsible comment is usually considered acceptable once a trial has concluded, regardless of if there is going to be an appeal.

Reference: UK Contempt of Court Act 1981

Regarding the "Cathartic" comment...this is a nurse who throughout her training and years working as a qualified nurse she would have witnessed many deaths and some baby deaths...it was not new to her.
The baby hadn't been on the ward "months" allowng personal feelings to develop...in those circumstances it would be easy to understand wanting to take solace.
But in what we have heard so far it seems "unusual ".
The prosecution imo can be forgiven for suggesting it was a text designed to ensure it was registered somewhere what room she was working in that night.
The evidence around this will tell more either way

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

Prosecution moves onto case of baby G, the most premature of the 17 babies, who was born at 23 weeks gestation and weighed 1lb 2oz. Lucy Letby is accused of attempting to murder her on three occasions.

Baby G was born at a different hospital and later transferred to
@TheCountessNHS
. Court hears that she was doing well. She'd been at Chester for 3 weeks when she turned 100 days old. The nurses hung a banner, and made a cake.
Baby G had been 'perfectly well' that night but then vomited powerfully. She showed signs of infection. She was subsequently transferred away from Chester back to the hospital where she was born, and made a 'remarkable recovery'.

Jury hears that once recovered, baby G was transferred back to Chester. Court hears that Lucy Letby gave her milk via a tube. Within an hour and 5 mins she’d projectile vomited twice and she wasn’t breathing.
Pros: "There had been no significant issues with baby G at all that shift until Lucy Letby got involved. She had vomited because somebody gave her excessive milk and air".

Jury hears that An MRI scan taken between events one and two revealed neurological changes and a MRI scan some months later in August 2016 confirmed that baby G has sustained irreversible brain damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it say when was the handover sheet found? Weeks, months after? Years? And where?
Was it kept neatly like a momento, or found crumpled behind a bin which could’ve just been there accidentally and forgotten about.
If it was nicely kept a long time after is very suspicious. If it was in a pile of rubbish and leaflets the next month then it can be accidental I guess.

Baby G is just heartbreaking, if LL did do this, the child being returned to her care after improving in another hospital and getting brain damage is just so sad.
It's a devastating case.
I know I'm going to find it very difficult to follow.
I can't even imagine the how or the why of it.
6 months is a very long time.
Sub judice rules are very strict.

Does it say when was the handover sheet found? Weeks, months after? Years? And where?
Was it kept neatly like a momento, or found crumpled behind a bin which could’ve just been there accidentally and forgotten about.
If it was nicely kept a long time after is very suspicious. If it was in a pile of rubbish and leaflets the next month then it can be accidental I guess.
Presumably found at one of the searches, the first of which was when she was arrested in July 2018.

Please do NOT respond to posts that are in violation of TOS.

Just use the Report feature to let Mods or Admins know when there is an issue and let us deal with it rather than derailing a thread with more off topic posts that we have to clean up.

Thank you.

Hey everyone.

I was struggling to piece together timeline of cases presented so far as I feel even this early on there's already been so much information. Hopefully this can serve as some sort of timeline that can be edited by others and reposted as needed to keep everyone orientated to the prosecution case:

My understanding so far.

Child A- Dies 8th June

Child B- Becomes unwell and recovers 9th June

Child C- Dies 14th June

Child D- ‘June 2015’- Collapsed 3 times and dies

Child E- August 3rd becomes unwell. Dies early hours of August 4th

Child F- August 5th, TPN bag started, multiple episodes of low blood sugar needing treatment

Child G- September 2015- Suffered irreversible brain damage

It goes without saying, but whatever the cause of these events, my heart goes out to families of these children.

Last edited by a moderator:
So a couple of years after the death? I wonder where it was found and in what condition. Would tell a lot about whether it was kept intentionally or not.
At least a couple of years after the final charge date. There was apparently a second search of her property around the time of the second arrest, 2019 so it may have been then.

I would also like to make a point regarding the Facebook searches, and just ask people to remember that there's other reasons for these searches rather than just 1: Serial killer, 2: Obsessed/struggling to cope worker.

This sounds like an incredibly tough job to do, and I can't imagine being responsible for a baby that dies and then moving on to looking after a different baby the next day. It must be hard.

It's understandable to me that someone might make them searches as a way of coping with grief, and may not be done for entirely unhealthy/stalker/malevolent reasons.

Now that's not to say that makes this person not guilty, but just an important point to make I think.

Last edited:
Hey everyone.

I was struggling to piece together timeline of cases presented so far as I feel even this early on there's already been so much information. Hopefully this can serve as some sort of timeline that can be edited by others and reposted as needed to keep everyone orientated to the prosecution case:

My understanding so far.

Child A- Dies 8th June

Child B- Becomes unwell and recovers 9th June

Child C- Dies 14th June

Child D- ‘June 2015’- Collapsed 3 times and dies

Child E- August 3rd becomes unwell. Dies early hours of August 4th

Child F- August 5th, TPN bag started, multiple episodes of low blood sugar needing treatment

Child G- September 2015- attempted murder, 3 attempts. Suffered irreversible brain damage

It goes without saying, but whatever the cause of these events, my heart goes out to families of these children.
What was going on during July 2015?
Why the pause?
I'm finding it hard not to speculate and let sub judice inform posts.

I would also like to make a point regarding the Facebook searches, and just ask people to remember that there's other reasons for these searches rather than just 1: Serial killer, 2: Obsessed/struggling to cope worker.

This sounds like an incredibly tough job to do, and I can't imagine being responsible for a baby that dies and then moving on to looking after a different baby the next day. It must be hard.

It's understandable to me that someone might make them searches as a way of coping with grief, and may not be done for entirely unhealthy/stalker/malevolent reasons.

Now that's not to say that makes this person not guilty, but just am important point to make I think.

I agree ...what we really need to know is did LL search many other Facebook parents from her work or predominantly the babies on the charge list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodfish