NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 #15

Do you think we’ll ever find out what happened to her?

Sadly, I don’t think so.
For a long time I thought she had wandered off from the accident and succumbed to the elements but they searched many times in the area and never found her.
So I eventually decided she accepted a ride from a stranger shortly after the accident and he took her. Drove a good ways away and eventually killed her. Unless the killer talked or he talked to someone else, we’ll never know for sure.

Do you think we’ll ever find out what happened to her?
Sadly, I don't think so. Even if remains are found some day by happenstance, that still likely wouldn't tell you much about what her final moments were like. I hope for the family's sake that at least they find her remains someday but unless someone did actually take her - which I have doubted from day one - and comes forward to confess and leads LE to those remains, we won't be finding this one out. :(

DEC 30, 2022

Maura Murray
  • Haverhill, New Hampshire
  • Went Missing: February 2004
Maura Murray disappeared in 2004, when she was a 21-year-old nursing student at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst. Murray was driving on a country road when she lost control on a sharp turn and her car went off the road into a tree. Even though the airbags had deployed and the car had heavy damage, Murray refused help from a man driving by. By the time an officer arrived, the car was locked, and there was no sign of Murray.

After 18 years of searches and candlelight vigils, there are still no solid leads. Julie Murray recalled how smart her sister was in an interview with The Independent, saying she excelled through high school and had an almost-perfect score on the SATs.

Anyone with information about the disappearance of Maura Murray can call the New Hampshire State Police at 603-223-3648.

The Murray family believes “someone knows something” about what happened to Maura Murray, who went missing in 2004. And in February, 19 years after she went missing, billboards will help raise awareness in Massachusetts.

“We firmly believe someone knows something and hope the exposure with the billboards will help towards resolution,” the family said in a statement on their website.

The billboards will be at two locations, one along the I-93 corridor near Stoneham and Woburn and another near Methuen, said Julie Murray, Maura’s sister.

I am watchin the Oxygen Series about Maura Murray- I have seen it before but it is a fascinating search into what happened to this woman. I thought it was possible she chose to just disappear for varying reasons discussed in this series, but would she really do that to her family? Doesn't seem like it to me.
There are so many possibilities. I have believed that she took a ride from a stranger after she crashed her car and this person killed her. As I am watching this I am wondering why she did not go to one of those three houses that were not far from where she crashed her car.

Last edited:
I am watchin the Oxygen Series about Maura Murray- I have seen it before but it is a fascinating search into what happened to this woman. I thought it was possible she chose to just disappear for varying reasons discussed in this series, but would she really do that to her family? Doesn't seem like it to me.
There are so many possibilities. I have believed that she took a ride from a stranger after she crashed her car and this person killed her. As I am watching this I am wondering why she did not go to one of those three houses that were not far from where she crashed her car.

As I am watching this in depth interesting documentary I wonder why the people who are trying to solve this mystery, don't ask a key question: why did she not go to any of the three houses that were within 100 yards of where she crashed her car! Just think about it, here you are, it is freezing cold, 7:30 at night and you just crashed your car- you see three houses, all it up: wouldn't you way: OMG I am so lucky to have somewhere to go to get some help or call my family- she did not do that- tells me a lot- she apparently did want to contact her family or really want help- why not?

As I am watching this in depth interesting documentary I wonder why the people who are trying to solve this mystery, don't ask a key question: why did she not go to any of the three houses that were within 100 yards of where she crashed her car! Just think about it, here you are, it is freezing cold, 7:30 at night and you just crashed your car- you see three houses, all it up: wouldn't you way: OMG I am so lucky to have somewhere to go to get some help or call my family- she did not do that- tells me a lot- she apparently did want to contact her family or really want help- why not?

She begged the school bus driver not to call as well.

This would have been her *second* car accident in a week. There was alcohol in the car, including an empty. And it had only been a few months since she admitted to theft, and she had to stay out of trouble to have it removed from her record.

It’s no mystery why she didn’t seek help IMO.

She begged the school bus driver not to call as well.

This would have been her *second* car accident in a week. There was alcohol in the car, including an empty. And it had only been a few months since she admitted to theft, and she had to stay out of trouble to have it removed from her record.

It’s no mystery why she didn’t seek help IMO.

makes sense!!!!

What do you think happened to her?

IMO, it wasn't unusual for MM to accept a ride from a stranger, as noted by a sister and BR. I suspect MM wanted to get away for a few days ... White Mountains a beautiful and familiar place. Maybe she accepted a ride with someone within that 10 minute timeframe and was met with foul play? Hope my moo thoughts are wrong.

Would like her family to get answers some day soon.

one theory I had was someone picked her up and during this time she died from a non bleeding head injury and for unknown reasons they hid Maura's body and never came forward, another was the LE officer that someone said they saw there. Could someone have tried to take advantage of Maura and her condition/predicament and during this time something happened and there was a cover up? I think it's very possible she had a head injury..I wish they could recreate the accident to see what injuries could have been incurred. mOO

one theory I had was someone picked her up and during this time she died from a non bleeding head injury and for unknown reasons they hid Maura's body and never came forward, another was the LE officer that someone said they saw there. Could someone have tried to take advantage of Maura and her condition/predicament and during this time something happened and there was a cover up? I think it's very possible she had a head injury..I wish they could recreate the accident to see what injuries could have been incurred. mOO
The bus driver stated she didn't look very injured- you may choose to believe him or not

Or she did go to one of those three houses…

I am left with thinking she took a ride from someone who came along- who had evil intentions and killed her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deluhg01
Back