Australia Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am reminded of the story Sally told of her mother's teaching friend hearing the podcast for the first time recently and offering up Marion's postcard. They need to hype the story to attract new viewers, as frustrating as it may be for us. But slow and steady may be what finally does RB in, and I'm praying it does.
Yes I thought it might be one referenced in the December 22, 2022 post on MPMB Facebook page. It reads:

Jane Austen's house [note: this is the pic on the front of the card which is shown in the post] - posted from Guildford which is a new location for us to add to mums timeline. Mum sent this postcard to a friend she taught with whilst on her trip to the UK in July 1997. Very grateful this person has sent me a copy of the postcard as it has EXTREMELY IMPORTANT INFORMATION Mum has said in this postcard.
I want to encourage everyone to share mums story and if you have any pieces of information NO MATTER HOW SMALL please send it along. It you or your family received a postcard from my mum it's really vital we can see these to help piece together this gigantic puzzle.

DdeH mentioned at the inquest that AKAs family would pick him up at Amsterdam Airport. If they were from the area of Tournai in Belgium why would they do a nearly 400 mile round trip 5 hour journey? Brussels Airport would have been a lot closer. What was his attraction to Amsterdam?

Yes I thought it might be one referenced in the December 22, 2022 post on MPMB Facebook page. It reads:

Jane Austen's house [note: this is the pic on the front of the card which is shown in the post] - posted from Guildford which is a new location for us to add to mums timeline. Mum sent this postcard to a friend she taught with whilst on her trip to the UK in July 1997. Very grateful this person has sent me a copy of the postcard as it has EXTREMELY IMPORTANT INFORMATION Mum has said in this postcard.
I want to encourage everyone to share mums story and if you have any pieces of information NO MATTER HOW SMALL please send it along. It you or your family received a postcard from my mum it's really vital we can see these to help piece together this gigantic puzzle.
Yes, 1 page back I referenced this.
The important information was about the buying of school.

PNT also worked at William Hill gambling

Interesting reading in the history of WHG

Leads all the way back to the same betting fiasco involving corrupt cop featherstone and clan, mentioned previously Mrs Wattle

We've always wondered WHY AH was tagged by Border Security/ ASIO / NSW police ((.......NSW corruption at the time of MB disappearance AND years earlier including the Don Mackay murder...... ))but never stopped or arrested years ago.

Then we have RC and the link to gambling

For those that think AH just robbed women to make ends meet, think again

This is a multimillion dollar saga of a life of gambling

Last edited:
Link to Channel 7 Live where the Spotlight Marion Barter episode will be on at 8.40 pm tonight, 8 hours and 40 minutes from now.

And 7 plus where you can catchup on it.

You need to have an account, which is free, to watch either one.
Australian residents only.

Youtube https://www.youtube.com/@7NEWSSpotlight/videos

Not sure if the episodes go up as soon as they've aired or not.

Last edited:
Just my ramblings, but could RB have been identified from CCTV in 1997 as accompanying MB (as he did with others) to the bank in BB and whether he waited outside or inside would be seen leaving with her? NSW police then found RB from photo on driver's license and INFORMALLY (not on the record) questioned him at the time. Maybe he told BB police then that she did not want contact with her family (as he did with the others) and that she was going to Bali to start a new life (as he did with the others) which would account for the cash bank withdrawals (as he did with the others). Through the Salvation Army and MB's father, S.A.contacted BB police, who relayed the message that MB did not want any contact with her family. RB now blurts out in the CC hearing that he now remembers MB telling him this "before she left for the UK" because he now fears someone/police back in 1997 may also remember him telling them this or that it may have been on record. I don't think the police will "incriminate" themselves at this late stage - say it - forget it, write it - regret it. However, the bank teller's recollection of MB may have a modicum of truth.

Did anyone change their view point on AHs wife after the latest podcast? Hearing the letter from the neighbour in Burwash was interesting.
What did the neighbour in Burwash say? I think she’s desensitised and accepts his ways and occasionally benefits - I have noticed it a few times in German wives where it didn’t really matter what and who the husband did it was business as usual at home no questions asked - that can be quite hard for an Australian like me to fathom - it can be a cultural thing. Just my thoughts.
Yes I have always suspected that RB made these allegations against MB.
I think it was someone who complained about the way she dealt with a boy but pretty sure it wasn’t sexual abuse - I was a student at TSS and there was an undercurrent of sex and okay and some of the staff who were beyond reproach who went out late nights to gay bars and all so it’s I’m my opinion that any personal adventure among the parents or groundsmen or staff would end up with very strained relationships with the staff structure at TSS
IF” that was true for a female staff member then the “boys club” as they call it would manipulate that person outta there. While I was there a female teacher began work but the attention she received was over the top from the male students and some teachers made it a short tenure for her. MB was not in the senior school though so possibly less of that going on.
Thinking out loud

Something about allegations at the school here.

The article is from 2019 but the contents were discussed here in depth

Reading this it's obvious why Marion was so upset.

Long article

Something about allegations at the school here.

The article is from 2019 but the contents were discussed here in depth

Reading this it's obvious why Marion was so upset.

Long article

At a goodbye dinner with one friend, she sat on their son's bed for a long time just watching him. And then asked her friend to stand under a light post "so I can remember you". "She said a similar thing to me," says Sally. "She wanted to come to dinner so she could remember me in my house."

Well that’s heartbreaking

There has been so much information to absorb. This might seem like a dumb question but at what point in time was RB finally connected to Marion??? I have forgotten this very important piece of information.

I believe a member of the public / and the police (who knows which was first) located the phone number in the FR ad, that was attached to his coin business, and then the FR Aus driver license that was also linked to RB .. he then strangely volunteered that he knew her because he loves to insert himself into everything even when there is no need to .. bet he wishes he had kept his big fat mouth shut for once.

I must be in a bad mood cause I am going to have a dig at the "investigative Journalism" of TLV .. there was no need for them to travel to Luxembourg, they could have just visited the NSW library and figure it out a lot sooner, as some eggar listener did.

Last edited:
All are very credible reasons as to the Florabella name. I still feel it comes from the Villeroy & Boch Flora Bella collection you mention above. I wonder if Marion ever owned any of it? I’m sure AKA would have sniffed it out if she did and the Luxembourg connection would have tickled his fancy. Perhaps they could/should have asked AKA at the Inquest had he ever come across the Florabella name before, perhaps in Luxembourg?
There’s a second possible interesting link with Villeroy & Boch:

In short:

Société Boch et Frères = the sons of Jean Francois Boch.

Jean Francois Boch = Villeroy & Boch.

Société Boch & Frères
had a faience factory in Tournay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics