Leslie Van Houten up for parole again

Charles Manson follower Leslie Van Houten released from prison after 53 years​

Grrrrr.
Not bad for someone who initially was given the Death Penalty.
I know that California did away with the D.P., but why would they give anyone sentenced to the DP be allowed to ask for parole? SMH. Yes, she didn't do as much killing as the others, but still...
JMO.

Is there a difference between smirking and smiling? Should she never break a smile for her whole life? How would that help the victims?
FILE - Three women co-defendants in the Sharon Tate murder case, from left, Susan Atkins, Patricia Krenwinkel and Leslie Van Houten, laugh as they walk to court in Los Angeles for sentencing on March 29, 1971. Van Houten, one of Charles Manson's followers, was released from prison on parole on Tuesday, July 11, 2023. (AP Photo/File)

Here she is (on the right) with other members of that murderous lot on their way to sentencing - not just smiling or smirking - but laughing out loud at their crimes and their trial. She is probably laughing now at the state of California for turning her loose.

The news media portrays her as a "Cult Follower of Charles Manson" - a sweet old grandmother type - instead of the Cold Blooded, Unremorseful Killer that she is.

Leslie Van Houten, now 73, was serving a life sentence for her a role for helping followers of Charles Manson stab to death two people a day after Tate, who became a movie actress, and four others were killed in her Los Angeles, Calif., mansion, in 1969.

Van Houten was not at Tate’s home when she was killed but was convicted of conspiracy for the death of Tate and four others at the home she shared with her husband, film director Roman Polanski.

Tate, 26, was 8 1/2 months pregnant with her first child. Her husband film director Roman Polanski was working in Europe.
1689166417411.jpeg

FILE - Three women co-defendants in the Sharon Tate murder case, from left, Susan Atkins, Patricia Krenwinkel and Leslie Van Houten, laugh as they walk to court in Los Angeles for sentencing on March 29, 1971. Van Houten, one of Charles Manson's followers, was released from prison on parole on Tuesday, July 11, 2023. (AP Photo/File)'s followers, was released from prison on parole on Tuesday, July 11, 2023. (AP Photo/File)

Here she is (on the right) with other members of that murderous lot on their way to sentencing - not just smiling or smirking - but laughing out loud at their crimes and their trial. She is probably laughing now at the state of California for turning her loose.

The news media portrays her as a "Cult Follower of Charles Manson" - a sweet old grandmother type - instead of the Cold Blooded, Unremorseful Killer that she is.
The phrase should always be "murderer LVH" not cult follower!!

View attachment 433557

LVH looks like a harmless grandmother in this shot.

If she's released, will Krenwinkle & Watson follow?
From Wiki : Van Houten and another woman held down Rosemary LaBianca as Watson stabbed Leno LaBianca. After stabbing Rosemary, he gave Van Houten a knife, and she stabbed the woman at least 14 more times. She testified in 1971, “And I took one of the knives, and Patricia [Krenwinkel] had one — a knife — and we started stabbing and cutting up the lady.”

Sharon Tate’s sister says she fears freed Manson Family member Leslie Van Houten could kill again​

Debra Tate said she feared Van Houten will return to her murderous ways after her release from prison for the infamous LaBianca killings (This text is the headline of the article)​

“Debra Tate, who has long campaigned to keep Van Houten and other family members behind bars, told TMZ that California Governor Gavin Newsom should have fought harder to keep her locked up.”​

Van Houten, 73, was released on Tuesday after Mr Newsom dropped his opposition to a state appeals court ruling recommending her parole.”​

Why has Governor Newsom not fought harder to keep her in jail this time when (if I remember correctly) he did in the past? She should have spent the rest of her life in prison, she does not deserve to spend the rest of her days with freedom and in more comfort than she had in prison after her despicable, evil and unforgivable actions during the Manson murders. (Sorry I have tried to unbold the text but I have been unable to do so)​

They will never let Tex out.As far as Pat goes...she was there both nights.She damn sure doesn't deserve to be out.

Yup. No way, no how is Tex or Pat are getting out. Having said that see my prior post at the programing she received by Charlie. Like Leslie, she has been absolutely violation free for over 50 yrs. I just think there is enough there to keep her locked-up forever. She has been the longest incarcerated female in California penal system.

If they want to do away with parole for any murder that would be fine by me but to grant parole for people with equally horrible crimes that didn’t make it into movies or pop culture is just unfair. I’m not overlooking the crime but that “goose and gander” example comes to mind. I can’t overlook her age at the time either.

I don't believe in the death penalty, although sometimes depending on the heinous nature of a murder, I understand the need for revenge. However, LVH's death penalty was commuted to life in prison and she wasn't alone in that reversal. Hundreds of other inmates also had their sentences commuted. According to this 2018 report many inmates serving time for murder are released before reaching the maximum length of incarceration. LVH has served nearly triple the 20 year sentence.

Unlike many inmates who have been released from prison for first degree murder, I think the lascivious nature of the crime, pushed it into the stratosphere of public condemnation. It had all the earmarks of a Hollywood blockbuster: a beautiful actress, an heiress, a world famous hairdresser, an edgy director and a rag tag group of disenfranchised petty criminals.

Susan Atkins changed her story numerous times to minimize her role in the murders. Tex Watson, coordinated and organized the nightly runs, including their precursor "creepy crawlies" in random homes in LA. He refused to answer direct questions during his parole hearings and very telling, has never admitted to killing Donald 'Shorty' Shea. LVH very early on admitted her guilt in the La Bianca killings. She's 73 years old and seems unlikely to reoffend. She has quite a battle in her future, imo, and without the security of prison walls to protect her she may still feel the full weight of public outrage. In today's climate for Old Testament punishment she may still end up giving an eye for an eye.

This is the problem when justice does not condemn this monsters to death or life without parole. The lawyers and politicians will find a way to release them. That is very predictable nowadays.

I vividly remember the killings. Maybe, people who are 2 and maybe 3 generations removed don't see it the same way.

This is a sad day. Apparently, life in prison is meaningless now. I hope she is on parole. Or is she completely free? Great. Just like Cleotha Abston, who did his time, and promptly started raping women. A career criminal, let out of prison, free as a bird.

Grrrrr.
Not bad for someone who initially was given the Death Penalty.
I know that California did away with the D.P., but why would they give anyone sentenced to the DP be allowed to ask for parole? SMH. Yes, she didn't do as much killing as the others, but still...
JMO.
ITA! Did you know that Charles Manson also had parole hearings. Just because the DP went away doesn’t mean that the crime was any less. They should never come up for parole. They were allowed to live, unlike their victims, and should not be afforded any other “kindness”.

ITA! Did you know that Charles Manson also had parole hearings. Just because the DP went away doesn’t mean that the crime was any less. They should never come up for parole. They were allowed to live, unlike their victims, and should not be afforded any other “kindness”.
Ita.
How difficult this day must be for the surviving family members.

Leslie Van Houten, now 73, was serving a life sentence for her a role for helping followers of Charles Manson stab to death two people a day after Tate, who became a movie actress, and four others were killed in her Los Angeles, Calif., mansion, in 1969.

Van Houten was not at Tate’s home when she was killed but was convicted of conspiracy for the death of Tate and four others at the home she shared with her husband, film director Roman Polanski.

Tate, 26, was 8 1/2 months pregnant with her first child. Her husband film director Roman Polanski was working in Europe.
View attachment 434206
Thanks for posting this. I was just about to ask why Sharon’s sister was speaking at the parole hearing when LVH wasn’t involved in Sharon’s death. I totally forgot about the conspiracy charge involving all the deaths and murderers.
~~~~
Sharon Tate was so pretty.

I don't believe in the death penalty, although sometimes depending on the heinous nature of a murder, I understand the need for revenge. However, LVH's death penalty was commuted to life in prison and she wasn't alone in that reversal. Hundreds of other inmates also had their sentences commuted. According to this 2018 report many inmates serving time for murder are released before reaching the maximum length of incarceration. LVH has served nearly triple the 20 year sentence.

Unlike many inmates who have been released from prison for first degree murder, I think the lascivious nature of the crime, pushed it into the stratosphere of public condemnation. It had all the earmarks of a Hollywood blockbuster: a beautiful actress, an heiress, a world famous hairdresser, an edgy director and a rag tag group of disenfranchised petty criminals.

Susan Atkins changed her story numerous times to minimize her role in the murders. Tex Watson, coordinated and organized the nightly runs, including their precursor "creepy crawlies" in random homes in LA. He refused to answer direct questions during his parole hearings and very telling, has never admitted to killing Donald 'Shorty' Shea. LVH very early on admitted her guilt in the La Bianca killings. She's 73 years old and seems unlikely to reoffend. She has quite a battle in her future, imo, and without the security of prison walls to protect her she may still feel the full weight of public outrage. In today's climate for Old Testament punishment she may still end up giving an eye for an eye.

The death penalty is something else that’s handed out with the fair shake of carnival games. I covered murders that were bad, as they all really are, and the DP would be a factor while just some godawful pure evil crimes wouldn’t include the DP. I know that plea deals factor but examples can easily be found and compared.

I look no further than my own state for good examples, Susan Smith, Alex Murdaugh, Todd Kohleppe. Just One of these monsters faced death and the same court handed down a death sentence just a few years after Smith. Wesley Shafer, which was later overturned.

Last edited:

I am not an advocate of the death penalty either, but I still think it’s OK for her to not be paroled simply because of the uniqueness and randomness and savagery of the crimes committed.
And there certainly was public condemnation along with public fear. The celebrity of the victims contributed to that no doubt. But the killers were not convicted and sentenced in a court of law because they killed a movie star and a wealthy heiress and a famous hairdresser etc. They killed a house full of people in a random house then turned around and did it again the next night. Revelling in it. Exulting and bragging about it. “It was fun” LVH told someone.
At their trial, they are the ones who turned it into a circus. With their fawning over Manson, mocking the victims and families, with their smart@ss smirks. LVH did these things. The pain they caused was massive and real and I don’t think it’s too much to ask for her to serve her full sentence. Her victims families were given a life sentence, by her, why should she not serve the same.
Her sentence was life with the possibility of parole. It was never a given, nor should it have been.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti
Back