Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the pertinent analogy is Germany under Hitler.

If Ukraine falls, Democracy will be hanging by the thinest of threads.

Everybody in the whole world who appreciates government by the people for the people should be lobbying their elected representatives (should they be fortunate enough to have them) to do everything to make sure Ukraine preserves its democracy.

Because in turn, Ukraine is saving democracy for the whole world.

Say no to appeasement.

MOO

Agreed. The problem with Vietnam and Afghanistan, was that the United States never actually declared war. And this is what is happening with Ukraine, we no longer take a stand. We will throw money, training, weapons...but hold back on actually going all in...Operation Desert Storm was probably the closest thing we have come to "being all in" since WW II.

As Ukrainian forces liberate Donetsk's Klishchiivka and Adnriivka from Russians, Russian artillery fires upon its own troops, leading to casualties among those attempting to surrender.
Frontline report: Russian surrendering soldiers killed by own artillery during Ukraine's liberation of Andriivka near Bakhmut - Euromaidan Press

Commander: Ukrainian forces breach Russian defensive line near Bakhmut. Ukrainian troops have broken through one of the Russian defensive lines near Donetsk Oblast’s Bakhmut, Land Forces Commander Oleksandr Syrskyi reported on Sept. 18.

Fierce battles are underway around Bakhmut, with Russia conducting multiple counterattacks from various directions, trying to regain lost positions following Ukraine’s liberation of Andriivka and Klishchiivka, according to Syrskyi. Commander: Ukrainian forces breach Russian defensive line near Bakhmut (kyivindependent.com)

Top US general: Russia has 'well over 200,000' troops in occupied Ukraine.

Russia has well over 200,000 troops stationed in the occupied parts of Ukraine, Chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley told CNN on Sept. 18. Top US general: Russia has 'well over 200,000' troops in occupied Ukraine (kyivindependent.com)

Germany announced a new military aid package to Kyiv worth €400 million The country's Defense Minister Boris Pistorius told this in an interview with Bild. He said that the new package will include "high-explosive ammunition, mortar ammunition and rockets", "protected vehicles and demining systems". It will also include warm clothing and generators. At the same time, Pistorius said that the country's government had not yet made a decision on the allocation of Taurus cruise missiles, with a range of 500 kilometers, to Ukraine.

The first photos of the Ukrainian president and the First Lady from New York, where Volodymyr Zelenskyy arrived to attend the 78th session of the UN General Assembly. The presidential couple was welcomed by Ukrainian Ambassador to the USA Oksana Markarova and Ukrainian Permanent Representative to the United Nations Sergiy Kyslytsya.
View attachment 447987 View attachment 447988 View attachment 447990

President Zelensky visits Ukrainian soldiers in New York hospital. After arriving in New York City on Sept. 18 for the United Nations General Assembly meeting, President Volodymyr Zelensky visited wounded Ukrainian soldiers recovering at Staten Island University Hospital.

It outta be interesting, that’s for sure.

I’ve read a great deal about life inside North Korea and have saved quotes I’ve found interesting over the years. One US journalist who was able to visit the country said this —

“The government lies to the outside world. The government lies to the people. The press lies to the people. The people lie to each other. The tour guides lie to the tourists. And it can really mess with your mind as a visitor. I’d find myself in these perplexing situations trying to figure out if a lie-spouting North Korean was in on it or not. Was she thinking, ‘I know this is false, you know this is false, but I live here so I gotta play the game?’ Or was she fully brainwashed and thought she was telling me the truth? It was impossible to tell. During interactions, I’d find myself thinking, ‘Are you an actor in The Truman Show and you think I’m Truman? Or are you Truman and I’m one of the actors?’ Are those kids on the street just pretending to be playing for my benefit? Is any of this real? Am I real?”

Personally, I’ll believe KJU sent “North Korean workers” to Ukraine when I see it.

Yes.

Either they are North Korean prisonser desperate to escape, or North Korean spies.

Russian prisoners had some hope that fighting would free them from returning to prison, as long as they didn't defect.

North Korean "soldiers" introduces a new destabilizing force and an excuse for Kim Jung Un to play with his long-rage missiles, too.

ISW: Ukrainian advances point to 'severe degradation' of Russian units.

Recent Ukrainian advances in western Zaporizhzhia Oblast and south of Bakhmut correspond with evidence that Russian units in those areas have suffered heavy losses. ISW: Ukrainian advances point to 'severe degradation' of Russian units (kyivindependent.com)

Denmark will purchase an additional 45 tanks for Ukraine in collaboration with other countries, Danish Defense Minister Troels Lund Poulsen announced on 19 September. The batch will include 30 Leopard 1 and 15 T-72 tanks. Denmark to transfer 45 more tanks to Ukraine in cooperation with allies - Euromaidan Press

Latvia closes border crossing point with Belarus.

Latvia will close one of its two border crossing points with Belarus due to the ongoing Minsk-engineered migrant crisis, the Latvian government announced on Sept. 19.

Latvia has suspended the operation of its Silene border crossing point, while its second checkpoint with Belarus will remain open for freight transport, urgent humanitarian movement, and emergencies.

I think the pertinent analogy is Germany under Hitler.

If Ukraine falls, Democracy will be hanging by the thinest of threads.

Everybody in the whole world who appreciates government by the people for the people should be lobbying their elected representatives (should they be fortunate enough to have them) to do everything to make sure Ukraine preserves its democracy.

Because in turn, Ukraine is saving democracy for the whole world.

Say no to appeasement.

MOO
It's a discussion for another thread but there's an excellent TV programme on the BBC called state of the nation, in it , it showed the utter contempt for the brexit voter.

Mark Twain:"If voting made a difference, they wouldn't let us do it. "

Zelensky calls for Russia's nuclear disarmament at UN Assembly. "Terrorists have no right to hold nuclear weapons," the Ukrainian president said in his address to world leaders at the U.N. headquarters in New York.

President Volodymyr Zelensky said in his speech at the U.N. General Assembly on Sept. 19 that Russia's war against Ukraine poses a threat to global security as the Kremlin weaponizes energy and food against nations across the world.
Zelensky at UN: Russia's aggression poses threat beyond Ukraine (kyivindependent.com)

russian terrorists used a Grom-E1 guided air missile to strike the cars of civilian volunteers who were evacuating the civilian population of Kupyansk, Kharkiv region. At least six people were killed.

Kremlin confirms Putin's trip to China in October. Russian President Vladimir Putin will visit China to attend the Belt and Road Forum in October in his first official visit abroad since the ICC issued an arrest warrant against him, the Kremlin announced on Sept. 20.

Russian troops have gunned down dozens of Ukrainian children with small arms at close range.

The murders were perpetrated by different Russian units in different regions of Ukraine, but they all seem to share the same purpose – to induce terror. Deliberate murders of Ukrainian children by Russian soldiers reveal culture of impunity (kyivindependent.com)

Ukrainian drones attack the Russian Black Sea Fleet command post in occupied Crimea (southern Ukraine), Stratcom reports The thick smoke over the Russian military base in Verkhniosadove can be seen from many kilometers away.
Ukraine attacks Russian Black Sea Fleet command post in Crimea (euromaidanpress.com)

The recent destruction of a Russian ship, a submarine, and multiple air defense systems by Ukrainian forces indicates that the Crimean peninsula may be far more vulnerable than Moscow has planned for. Uncertain Triumph: Ukraine picks apart Russia's best air defenses in Crimea (kyivindependent.com)

Strikes on a command post in Crimea; saboteurs attack an airbase near Moscow; US military aid package for Ukraine not to include ATACMS; and more. Ukraine war latest: Strikes on command post in Crimea, saboteurs attack airbase near Moscow (kyivindependent.com)

In an unprecedented show of solidarity, 32 states back Ukraine at the UN court, accusing Russia of manipulating the genocide convention to validate its 2022 invasion.
Ukraine's allies back Kyiv at top UN court against Russia - Euromaidan Press

New thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members