FL FL - Kevin McGrath, 26, missing from a cruise ship, Miami, 4 Sept 2023

Not that it matters but I'll take option #1, in honor of Mr Occam. By age 26yo, he had a criminal history.

At this stage, I'm inclined to believe KM became highly intoxicated, on purpose and with intent, in order to end his life by throwing his drunken body into the water.

It is significant that his ship pass was used to open the door to his cabin. But, did he enter the room? Did he prop the door open for whatever reason, to grab something, or to leave something? When the door closed, he was in the hallway and not in his room. jmo

Suicide is the tenth leading cause of death in the U.S. One person dies by suicide about every 11 minutes. It is the second leading cause of death among people ages 10 to 34

A recent life crisis and problems with money or legal problems can be contributors.
I generally agree with this. Although I'll add that it may not even have been his original intention.

Returning to port in Miami, he may have become despondent over his personal situation, leading to heavy drinking. And once he became extremely intoxicated, anything could have happened. There's a well-established link between inebriation and drownings aboard cruise ships.

One thing I'd like to know is how much alcohol he consumed that final night.

It has now emerged that McGrath pleaded guilty to aggravated assault in Tennessee in September 2022 and was sentenced to six years of supervised probation, TMZ reported.

His wife said he threatened to kill her and their children, according to the outlet, which cited legal documents.

McGrath received permission to move from Tennessee to Florida, where he was living with his parents, but his probation officers said he never got a green light to go on a cruise, the report said.

The probation office — which apparently only found out he had been aboard the Conquest when media reported about his disappearance — said he also is delinquent on $241.20 in probation fees, the outlet said.
Kevin McGrath mug shot

<modsnip - quoted post was referencing random social media page/rumors>

It's my understanding that Carnival ships generally do not have man overboard sensors.

Apparently they won't give you a straight answer if you ask them, but refer questions to an industry group.

Carnival Cruise Line, Norwegian Cruise Line, Holland America Line and MSC Cruises did not answer USA TODAY's questions about whether or not they have the systems installed on their ships and referred inquiries to CLIA.

And they also claim the systems don't work all that well.

A spokesperson for Carnival Corporation said that "despite the claims by manufacturers and their salespeople, these systems are still unreliable, as was the case when our company piloted some of the proposed technologies." MOB-detection technology does not prevent someone from climbing over the safety rails or jumping off, Carnival added.

Even their cameras have blind spots so they may not detect that a person has gone overboard.

But victims' advocates say security cameras on their own aren't an effective way to prevent man-overboard fatalities because they are not constantly monitored. And since cameras don't always capture every area of the ship, sometimes there's no footage at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is possible that a family member or members assisted in his disappearance. With 40 family members on the cruise perhaps someone else scanned his card, or maybe he disembarked while multiple family members were gathered in a group scanning their cards.

JMO

Sometimes, I think cruise lines are unfairly targeted when MOB circumstances occur. All the cameras in the world aren't going to solve the actions of irresponsible individuals who behave recklessly. Most MOBs are the results of bad decisions by passengers. While it's true that some MOBs have been suicides or murders the majority are people who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol or just basic tomfoolery.

A hotel isn't scrutinized for lack of security if a person commits suicide or a guest is murdered in the hotel room so I really don't know why the onus for MOBs always appear to focus on a cruise lines technology to monitor for them. Even if someone was filmed going overboard for whatever reason there still is no guarantee you're going to find them. It takes a while for a huge ship to change direction and retrace their path. Depending on where they are, humans can die of hypothermia, non-swimmers drowning, animal predation and injuries occurred during the fall. There has to be a reasonable division between personal responsibility and systemic security for discovery but even then it is always after the fact.

Last edited:
Here's a couple of links regarding MOBs that have occurred for the last 20 years or so. It appears that many of the suicides are crew members. It must be very stressful to be away from your family for so long, perhaps not being allowed to debark when at shore, and long hours of hard work for low wages.

And although a lot of MOBs are the result of intoxication where passengers have been overserved there are still some pretty ingenious ways people can smuggle booze on board.

Sometimes, I think cruise lines are unfairly targeted when MOB circumstances occur. All the cameras in the world aren't going to solve the actions of irresponsible individuals who behave recklessly. Most MOBs are the results of bad decisions by passengers. While it's true that some MOBs have been suicides or murders the majority are people who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol or just basic tomfoolery.

A hotel isn't scrutinized for lack of security if a person commits suicide or a guest is murdered in the hotel room so I really don't know why the onus for MOBs always appear to focus on a cruise lines technology to monitor for them. Even if someone was filmed going overboard for whatever reason there still is no guarantee you're going to find them. It takes a while for a huge ship to change direction and retrace their path. Depending on where they are, humans can die of hypothermia, non-swimmers drowning, animal predation and injuries occurred during the fall. There has to be a reasonable division between personal responsibility and systemic security for discovery but even then it is always after the fact.

IMO I don't think it's fair to compare hotels with cruise lines. Cruise lines assume (or are held to) a lot more responsibility because people are essentially captive. They can't disembark at will, whereas a hotel on land people can go in and out as they please. That's why there are checks, show your ID, to enter or leave.

That said...I generally agree that if KM fell overboard, the odds of survival are incredibly low. It takes hours for family and friends to notice if someone vanishes, then a few hours for the cruise line to do some searching, before authorities start searching.

If anything, I feel that KM dropping out of contact with his P.O and not getting permission to cruise makes it less likely that he's trying to intentionally hide. It would have been much more low-key to simply disembark, move away, and cut off all contact.

I tentatively think that this is a man overboard (MOB) incident. I know the cruise ship automatic MOB system didn't go off, but if it's reliant on CCTV, those aren't monitored 24/7 and there are blind spots, it can be easy to miss.

I don't even think it's even necessary to consider motive or state of mind. Just that, for whatever reason, he went overboard, and it was hours before anyone started searching. Unless someone spots you right away, the odds of being found alive (or found at all), are very grim/low.

IMO I don't think it's fair to compare hotels with cruise lines. Cruise lines assume (or are held to) a lot more responsibility because people are essentially captive. They can't disembark at will, whereas a hotel on land people can go in and out as they please. That's why there are checks, show your ID, to enter or leave.

That said...I generally agree that if KM fell overboard, the odds of survival are incredibly low. It takes hours for family and friends to notice if someone vanishes, then a few hours for the cruise line to do some searching, before authorities start searching.

If anything, I feel that KM dropping out of contact with his P.O and not getting permission to cruise makes it less likely that he's trying to intentionally hide. It would have been much more low-key to simply disembark, move away, and cut off all contact.

I tentatively think that this is a man overboard (MOB) incident. I know the cruise ship automatic MOB system didn't go off, but if it's reliant on CCTV, those aren't monitored 24/7 and there are blind spots, it can be easy to miss.

I don't even think it's even necessary to consider motive or state of mind. Just that, for whatever reason, he went overboard, and it was hours before anyone started searching. Unless someone spots you right away, the odds of being found alive (or found at all), are very grim/low.
People sign a contract when they agree to go on a cruise ship. You make a decision to leave land and venture to other destinations. That's part of the appeal of cruise ships; that you can go to bed after spending the day in Cozumel and wake up in the morning and be in the Caymans. Very similar to being on a train. You start in one city and end up in another.

The biggest issue with cruise ships, imo, especially short term cruises like this one is passengers see them as a excuse to drink their faces off and pass out either in their own cabin or on a comfy couch in some public area where the staff vacuum around you without any blowback from the hired help or perhaps the people you are with who could be in the same boat (pardon the pun). And all those checks of showing your ID has nothing to do with being 'captive' on a ship and everything to do with being an alien in a foreign country and they want a record of you entering and leaving.

“We still have that strong bond,” Thomas told Clarksville Now. “Regardless of if we are divorced or not, together or not, we still would talk a lot. My daughter, she’s older, so she understands a little more. She knows when dad isn’t answering his phone.”

McGrath and Thomas first met in 2019, while he was still in the Army and stationed at Fort Campbell.
Kevin-McGrath-Ft-Campbell.jpg

“Seeing my daughter when he doesn’t answer the phone just breaks my heart,” Thomas said. “She’s very close to her father.”

“Not knowing where he is, having to wake up wondering, is he alive, is he OK, what’s his condition type of things. That worries me every day that I wake up and we have no answers,” she said.

“I was stuck in my room for days, everything literally stopped. He planned on coming here to visit the kids again before the end of the year.”
1696068781963.jpeg

Last edited:
Harking back to a conversation from earlier in this thread, I do wish Carnival would put the call out to guests who were on that ship to please share their photos and video from that cruise, particularly from early that last evening to disembarkation. Confident that there is video footage on other guests’ phones showing him at various points, in backgrounds. We know of at least one. I think people would gladly share it if they knew why the ask was made and why it was important.

Harking back to a conversation from earlier in this thread, I do wish Carnival would put the call out to guests who were on that ship to please share their photos and video from that cruise, particularly from early that last evening to disembarkation. Confident that there is video footage on other guests’ phones showing him at various points, in backgrounds. We know of at least one. I think people would gladly share it if they knew why the ask was made and why it was important.
That's certainly a good idea. The cynic in me says that the cruise provider won't, for various reasons not necessary to state here. They cooperated with LE, who is responsible for investigations, and unfortunately he hasn't been found. As strange as it sounds, I wouldn't rule out finding him somewhere unexpected on the ship.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I would say they most likely sent an email. That is how they communicate. I've gotten emails for something that happened on ship, or missing luggage etc. They communicate quite well most times. I just got off a ship 3 weeks ago, i couldn't remember a face in a bar or comedy show a few days later....... on Celebration we had over 6k passengers PLUS crew. Crew would have been notified and asked if they remembered seeing him. His card would have been run for drinks, etc. They have a timeline already, they are not sharing it. And as a twin, they could have shared a card, even with different hair. Family had to have a lot more info if it was such a big group... photos etc..... we aren't not seeing much.

All MOO but i cruise Carnival a min of 4x a year... and am friends with crew (mostly entertainment).

I would say they most likely sent an email. That is how they communicate. I've gotten emails for something that happened on ship, or missing luggage etc. They communicate quite well most times. I just got off a ship 3 weeks ago, i couldn't remember a face in a bar or comedy show a few days later....... on Celebration we had over 6k passengers PLUS crew. Crew would have been notified and asked if they remembered seeing him. His card would have been run for drinks, etc. They have a timeline already, they are not sharing it. And as a twin, they could have shared a card, even with different hair. Family had to have a lot more info if it was such a big group... photos etc..... we aren't not seeing much.

All MOO but i cruise Carnival a min of 4x a year... and am friends with crew (mostly entertainment).
I feel like experienced cruisers would heed the call and send photos and video, right? I’m RC Diamond and definitely would.

A Carnival Cruise passenger who mysteriously vanished from the ship during a family vacation was not allowed to sail [yes, he was allowed to sail but he shouldn't have been] because he was on probation for assault after his wife said he threatened to kill her and their kids...
< >
His wife said he threatened to kill her and their children...
< >
McGrath received permission to move from Tennessee to Florida, where he was living with his parents
< >
McGrath pleaded guilty to aggravated assault in Tennessee in September 2022 and was sentenced to six years of supervised probation

Vanished while on Parole - NYP

As a passenger, I'd be upset with the cruiseline for allowing someone onboard who was on parole for a felony assault. He's a criminal and a badboy who beats women and threatens children.
Maybe he did stay in Bimini [pop 2417 in '22].

Is Bimini having the same problem with a huge influx of illegal immigrants from Haiti as the main islands experience? It appears to be alarming for some Native Bahamians that illegal immigrants are taking their jobs because they'll work longer hours for less pay. Maybe the fleeing Haitians do not attempt to go as far as Bimini.

Crackdown on undocumented Haitians - 2019 after Hurricane Dorian
In the Bahamas, the Government has announced that Haitians who fled Hurricane Dorian and are not in the country legally will now face deportation.

Haitian Immigrants in Bahamas Struggle After Hurricane Dorian Feb 2020

There was growing animosity and disdain toward Haitians living in The Mudd. Before the storm hit, the government of the Bahamas already had plans to relocate all shantytown residents, according to Lesley Johnson from the Bahamas Disaster Reconstruction Authority. Tensions were high. Many Haitians lived in fear of deportation.

I feel like experienced cruisers would heed the call and send photos and video, right? I’m RC Diamond and definitely would.
Yes, and i'm guessing most were aware of this when disembarking...... they would have seen the police and hear the announcements.... and would have checked either when home or quickly. Newbies, not so much. If not, i'm betting they got an email.

He broke his terms of probation to go on the cruise, his probation could/would be revoked for the violation and he'd be serving the suspended prison sentence. I very much doubt he disclosed to the cruiseline that he was breaking the law to be there.

His family almost certainly knew, which makes me think Kevin committed suicide and had no intention of completing his probation sentence, or he absconded and his family helped. Absconding seems less likely just based on logistics.

JMO

I honestly think it was just a tragic accident. I think he just went to have a few days of fun with his family. I don't think he thought much on his probation. He thought he would be back in a few days and no one needed to know. JMO tho.

Yes, and i'm guessing most were aware of this when disembarking...... they would have seen the police and hear the announcements.... and would have checked either when home or quickly. Newbies, not so much. If not, i'm betting they got an email.
Earlier in this thread there was a quote from a fellow shipmate who said that she never received an email from the cruise line about Kevin's disappearance. This was around 10 days after he went missing so plenty of time for Carnival to provide notification.

Edit - Here's the post: FL - FL - Kevin McGrath, 26, missing from a cruise ship, Miami, 4 Sept 2023

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erinicole93
Back