MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
If she only googled it after his body was found, it would have been after he was transported to the hospital, not as soon as they found him. It's certainly possible, I suppose, but at that point it would have been clear that he was very close to death if not technically already dead. And Karen could have asked the EMTs that question, rather than shout at someone else to google it.
Snipped for focus.

She even goes far enough to claim that KR yelled at her to Google it immediately once finding the body, the implication that before EMTs, LE, etc. were on scene. The two searches on her phone that the prosecution is claiming are the "actual" searches were at 6:23am and 6:24am - to correct a typo. The 911 call was made at 6:04am. IMO, 20 minutes is a significant amount of time in this situation.

"Immediately after disconnecting with 9-1-1 dispatch," attorneys for Read say McCabe made two calls at 6:07 and 6:08 to a cellphone belonging to her sister — Albert's wife, who was also out with the group the previous night — and deleted them from her phone. She also made an unanswered call to Albert at 6:23, which was also deleted, Read's attorneys say.
Less than a minute after that call, the lawyers also allege McCabe opened an article titled "How Long Does It Take to Digest Food," which the defense connects with the digestion process often being used by investigators to calculate time of death."

The video below will be a trial exhibit because it is one of #KarenRead's many contradictory statements about what happened to #JohnOKeefe that night. If she saw him go to the door, how could she think she hit him?

According to court filings she was still at or just over the legal limit that morning, so I think it's safe to say she was pretty intoxicated that night. So I question what she truly remembers.

With that said, I think her immediate reaction to the shocking image of her boyfriend lying in the snow very near where she dropped him off was not unusual. My god, could I have hit him somehow? The same thought probably would have first come to my head. I wouldn't expect someone in this horrifying situation to be thinking in a logical, linear fashion, nor would I expect her first thought to be "My god, they must have beat him up and dumped him outside to make it look like a snow plow hit him and knocked him onto the lawn!".

From the article:

One resident who spoke argued that there are already checks and balances in place within the department. Another countered that an audit would look at officers' compliance, referring to the current protocols as "self-grading."

Town leaders will now be working with petition organizers to create a give person committee by Feb. 1 that'll be tasked with using up to $200,000 from the town's reserve fund to choose the firm that will conduct the audit.

It should be noted that town leaders said in its history, Canton has never had its community members vote for an independent firm to audit any of its departments.

Engaging in a speculative narrative!

Conspiracy: No way!

What about this scenario (moo): It's my understanding that the couple were arguing that night and drinking heavily.

Maybe when he (JO) exited the vehicle he hits the taillight (or she backs the vehicle into him/he hits the taillight w/fist), he slips and falls down. The fall causes the head injury and arm abrasions depending on what he has fallen on. KR hears a loud thump from him hitting the taillight, but leaves anyway. Later she thinks more about it - starts to question things - may have hit him(?), which is why she makes numerous calls trying to reach him. However, by then it’s too late.

I'd be interested to know what the weather conditions that fateful night was, and how much snow, if any? How much ice? What were the surrounding area, can't fathom how the hit/fall would take place. Looking forward to the trial, curious what evidence there is. All moo and no factual information.

Engaging in a speculative narrative!

Conspiracy: No way!

What about this scenario (moo): It's my understanding that the couple were arguing that night and drinking heavily.

Maybe when he (JO) exited the vehicle he hits the taillight (or she backs the vehicle into him/he hits the taillight w/fist), he slips and falls down. The fall causes the head injury and arm abrasions depending on what he has fallen on. KR hears a loud thump from him hitting the taillight, but leaves anyway. Later she thinks more about it - starts to question things - may have hit him(?), which is why she makes numerous calls trying to reach him. However, by then it’s too late.

I'd be interested to know what the weather conditions that fateful night was, and how much snow, if any? How much ice? What were the surrounding area, can't fathom how the hit/fall would take place. Looking forward to the trial, curious what evidence there is. All moo and no factual information.
Trying to follow in your same order.

Karen and John were known to have a tumultuous relationship. She has said as much, as has at least one of John's kids. But there is no indication they were arguing that night. They can be seen in the CJ McCarthy's video hugging each other. Karen did leave some angry voice mails for him when he didn't answer his phone after she says she thought he was in the house. Either because she thought he blew her off or maybe even was cheating on her. (my speculation)

Have you ever tried to break a modern taillight with a fist? It can't be done. It's also hard to break a taillight with a human body going 24 mph backwards, although that is the state's theory. I'm not a biomechanical expert, so I can't say whether it's likely or not. But I'm sure both sides will have experts to address this. And as far as the state's theory goes, I'm at a loss as to how she backed into him and somehow managed to knock him 12 feet - sideways - onto the lawn. There were no tire tracks found on the lawn.

The head injury is what killed him. Coupled with hypothermia of course, but it's what incapacitated him. It's actually fairly small, but deep. I'm not sure what could have caused it on the vehicle, on the street, or in the yard.

I know the ME called the arm injuries "abrasions" (she was told by the police that he was hit by a car in the street) but they clearly aren't. Google "abrasions". They're rubbing type wounds that some might call scrapes they tend to be clusters. John's injuries looked nothing like typical road rash. They're deep scratches or lacerations spread out up and down his arm, mostly going in the same direction. I can't think of anything outside that night that could have caused those wounds in that pattern. Some are speculating they were caused by canine bites and/or scratches.

He had a lot of bruising the backs of both hands. If this was a pedestrian accident, I could understand bruising on one hand, but identical injuries on the backs of both hands is harder to understand.

Yes, it was snowing but it hadn't yet accumulated much. The blizzard was supposed to intensify overnight, but it didn't get bad until just after daylight. (I remember it well. I live a few miles from the house and we ended up with almost 2.5 feet of snow).

Worth noting is that the first snowplow pass on the street made by a town DPW employee was at 2:30 am and then again at 3 am. The state police never bothered to track this driver down. When he was finally interviewed over 1.5 years later he says he absolutely would have seen a body on the Albert's lawn at 2:30, considering the height and lights on his truck. He went on to say that at 3 am there was a light colored Ford Edge (not Karen's black Lexus) parked on the street directly in front of where the body was later found. He remembers this because he was annoyed there was a vehicle on the street at that time.

Along this same lines, there were several party-goes who left in separate vehicles after John was supposedly left on the lawn. No one says they saw him there.

STOUGHTON, Mass. — A judge denied a controversial blogger’s request on Tuesday to return electronics that were confiscated from him during his arrest in late October.

Aidan Kearney, known as “Turtleboy”, has been investigating the 2022 death of Boston Police Officer John O’Keefe in Canton, specifically the role his girlfriend, Karen Read, may or may not have had in it.

November 28, 2023 at 5:06 pm EST

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the things I don't get about the prosecution's case is the claim that Karen killed him on purpose. In support of that they say that Karen drove in reverse at 26 mph to hit John because she was angry at him. Also, the say she immediately spotted his body lying in the snow when it was still dark outside while the others in the car couldn't see him. And they have statements from the EMTs on the scene claiming that she said "I hit him".

Yet according to their own evidence, she also left dozens of voicemails for John overnight, berating him for not coming home. Then she was absolutely hysterical when she found him. And now there is a recording of the 911 call floating around and she sounds absolutely frantic in the background.

So, is that state's theory that she was acting when she was leaving those voicemails and acting hysterically?

Or is the theory that after hitting him on purpose, she was so drunk that she forgot she hit him when leaving the messages, then remembered when she saw the body, then forgot again when she was screaming on the 911 call, then remembered again when the EMTs showed up?

IMO, it would be far more believable if they had just charged her with manslaughter instead of murder. Hitting him accidentally in a drunken state makes more sense than her being a world-class actress or alternately remembering/forgetting what she did. (There are also problems with the whole theory that she hit him in the first place, but that's another topic.)

Another news article

November 29, 2023
"I would agree with Mr. Bratton and his remarks that some of these sources are police sources," special prosecutor Kenneth Mello said late in the hearing. "As a matter of fact, one of those police sources is the reason we have a conspiracy charge pending against the defendant. And there will also be further charges of conspiracy filed."

Last edited:
November 29, 2023
"I would agree with Mr. Bratton and his remarks that some of these sources are police sources," special prosecutor Kenneth Mello said late in the hearing. "As a matter of fact, one of those police sources is the reason we have a conspiracy charge pending against the defendant. And there will also be further charges of conspiracy filed."

My guess - just a guess - is the referenced "police source" is actually the Avon dispatcher who looked up a license plate for Turtleboy and lost her job as a result. I'm no TB fan, but that's hardly a high level conspiracy.

Local news report airing on 12/4. This would appear to be confirmation that the FBI is actually investigating the investigation into O'Keefe's death. Even if Karen Read intentionally killed O'Keefe, the investigation itself appears to have violated many basic protocols. But then again, it's not every day a Boston cop ends up dead on the front lawn of another Boston cop in a snow storm.

There are some interesting quotes about the federal investigation from Michael Morrissey, the Norfolk County DA, in this Boston Globe article:

“They don’t have any jurisdiction over a state murder trial, so this is an extraordinary step on their part,”
“I’m not worried because I have the utmost confidence in what we’ve done and what people have told us.”
“There have been communications by a variety of people, including myself to both the FBI and the US Attorney’s Office, to encourage them to come and speak with us.” Morrissey said. “They have not taken us up on the offer.”

There's some speculation online that the "what people have told us" line is an attempt to absolve his office of responsibility at the expense of the police.

Morrissey is also trying to get the federal probe moved out of state.

Two sources who asked not to be named told 25 Investigates that Morrissey’s request to have the federal probe moved to another region is based on at least two conflict-of-interest claims.

The conflict-of-interest claims seem kind of ridiculous to me: one claim is that the previous U.S. attorney hated him and the other is that one of his ex-employees is married to a federal prosecutor.

There's some speculation online that the "what people have told us" line is an attempt to absolve his office of responsibility at the expense of the police.

This jumped out at me immediately. Wiggle room language for sure. But it won't help him.

Morrissey knows full well that the FBI has no jurisdiction over a murder case. But he also knows full well they have jurisdiction over him. He also had the audacity to go public with a tirade about what wonderful, innocent people the party-goers are. Something a sane DA would never do under any circumstances. But now it's "I was just going with what people were telling me"? WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cashmeoutside