NY - Twins, boy and girl, 5, found dead in Bronx apartment, no signs of obvious trauma, Mount Hope, 18 Dec 2023

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
A boy and a girl, who are believed to be 5-year-old twins, were found dead.

Officials say there were no signs of obvious trauma, and their deaths remain under investigation.

<modsnip - snipped for 10% copyright rule; more at link>

Last edited by a moderator:
If it wasn't carbon monoxide, maybe they got into some kind of household poison?
The rising surge of Fentanyl poisoning has me jumping to conclusions. I wish I didn’t automatically think of it. Babies, infants, toddlers are dying every day from the vile drug abuse. Twins, can you imagine finding them, especially if they were together. :(

The mother was in the apartment when police arrived, police said. The mother is now in the hospital for treatment and is not injured, but emotionally distraught.

<modsnip - snipped for copyright; more at link>

FOX 5 NY learned the children were pulled from school last week after they were sick and police are holding out hope that no one is at fault, while struggling to process this scene

anxious to learn what caused these deaths. RIP little ones. Prayers for loved ones. It's a mystery. sent home ill last week and dead this. I wonder what their symptoms were at school to cause them to be sent home. Carbon Monoxide poisoning would be my first guess but if the building has been tested and found not to be an issue, then something else at school or home? Fentanyl was a thought. It's on the news a lot lately, remember the daycare recently in the news?!

I'll be watching for more info on this one.

The kids were reportedly both sick leading up to their deaths. The boy had been having cold symptoms for around one to two weeks prior to Monday, having been sent home from school last Tuesday, as well as on Nov. 30 because he was vomiting, officials said. His sister was suffering from an ear infection, according to the mom, vomiting and “acting irrational,” biting and spitting at school, according to authorities.

A search warrant of the apartment revealed no narcotics or paraphernalia, and FDNY found no indication of carbon monoxide, Kenny said.

(Gothamist is a website about New York City news, arts, events and food, brought to you by New York Public Radio.)

Re: carbon monocide/any inhaled toxin -- an active 5 year old usually weighs between 35 & 50 pounds:

Adults generally weigh between 150 & 200 pounds.

So -- an adult may need to breath in 3 to 4 times as much toxin to match the child's symptoms.

Sad all around.

jmho ymmv lrr

Such an odd case. Could Reye Syndrome have been the cause?

Reye's syndrome, also known as Reye syndrome, is a rare but serious condition that causes swelling in the liver and brain. Reye's syndrome can occur at any age but usually affects children and teenagers after a viral infection, most commonly the flu or chickenpox.

Symptoms such as confusion, seizures and loss of consciousness need emergency treatment. Early diagnosis and treatment of Reye's syndrome can save a child's life.

Whatever the cause I can’t begin to imagine the pain of losing both twins. Heartbreaking.

Lead poisoning? I don't know how, but maybe.
Some folk medicines have been known to contain lead. From 2008:
In Texas, California and Arizona, lead poisoning has been traced to Mexican remedies such as greta, azarcon and rueda — powders that are given to treat constipation in children and contain as much as 90 percent lead. In New York City and Rhode Island, high lead levels in the blood have been tied to litargirio, a powder containing up to 79 percent lead. It is used by Dominican immigrants for such ills as foot fungus and body odor.

Lead poisoning is more common in immigrant children (no idea where they were born) and some of the symptoms including apparent learning delays and vomiting are certainly indicative. If their apartment is contaminated, being home more days due to illness could result in more exposure than usual. Lead can of course be fatal. What doesn't make sense is them dying simultaneously. That requires something they both ingested at the same time in equal fatal concentrations, such as household poison.

Could it be rabies? That would certainly be out of left field but the symptoms are similar.

I don't think the need for seeking hospitalization could be "missed" with rabies, and they likely wouldn't die on the same day, but I am just guessing.
Good point, it's not going to be simultaneous. I wonder if the illness and special needs aren't a red herring. Because of being sick they were home more, possibly bored, and thus got into something they shouldn't.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LightInv
Back