Australia - Melissa Hoskins, 32, Olympian cyclist, struck & killed by ute, husband Rohan Dennis arrested and charged - Medindie, SA, 30 Dec 2023

They said Melissa had sustained catastrophic injuries. This does not seem to be a random description. Things like spinal cord injury, brain injury, and paraplegia are classed as catastrophic injuries. Which would not necessarily show significant bleeding. (eg: she could have broken her neck)

imo

Absolutely. My thought was something like crushing wounds to the chest if the ute drove over her. Huge internal damage, but not always much external bleeding.

This is a UK EMT kit, but I can't imagine an Australian kit would be hugely different:
[Snipped IMG]
You can see the paramedics have similar green bags when you see them standing behind the ambulance in the video.
I think the black bag is a police medical kit. It looks like the top flap of the bag is open when first seen in the video then later on the bag is visible again closed over with a police woman nearby packing up what looks like medical equipment.

It sounds as if the children have been moved. Yesterday a friend came out and asked the media not to film the children, then the children were driven away. Rohan Dennis drove away separately, with a couple of little bikes in his vehicle.

The Child Protection Minister has made a statement (paraphrased) saying that they were notified of the situation, they have made an assessment, the children are being supported by their grandparents, and their safety is of the highest priority.

"Rohan Dennis and Melissa Hoskins had it all,

with their Olympic dreams fulfilled,

world championship medals secured

and a young family bursting with love.

Then something went terribly, terribly wrong outside their mansion."

:(

A dented bonnet, mystery witnesses and a perfectly positioned CCTV camera: The unanswered questions about the night Olympic cyclist Melissa Hoskins lost her life - as her husband Rohan Dennis faces charges over her death​

Note, it says in the article that the journalist (who I think is usually based in Sydney) is reporting from Adelaide.

The DMA doesn’t send journalists interstate on assignment for nothing: This is a massive story. Let’s watch this space and see what unfolds.

IMO

"...mystery witnesses and a perfectly positioned CCTV camera"​

I find that ^^^description very interesting===perfectly positioned cctv? Does that mean the footage is accurate and self explanatory?

"...mystery witnesses and a perfectly positioned CCTV camera"​

I find that ^^^description very interesting===perfectly positioned cctv? Does that mean the footage is accurate and self explanatory?

I believe LE had the security camera footage from pretty early in the investigation, and even in the earliest articles and statements their allegations seemed to be very straightforward and clear.

I'm guessing the footage shows whatever really happened.

I'm surprised by the dents on the bonnet/hood of the ute/SUV. Wow!

I've seen crazy videos of people purposely jumping on the hood during a dispute. Most are chest first and no dents are caused bc the car is not moving.

These two dents are significant. Was the car moving? Did she literally jump on the hood with two feet?

I think more likely cut off her by emergency services.

edit: I think the suitcase is also medical equipement? Looks like a police officer repacking it later in the video?

Emergency personnel would likely have cut clothing while assessing injuries.

The lack of visible blood makes me think it could have been a closed head injury. Other injuries that could be considered catastrophic include crushing chest injuries, severe fractures such as a broken neck, and traumatic amputation but that would have produced a large amount of blood.

The “suitcase” is most likely a trauma kit with airway management equipment, an AED, and other trauma supplies.

Emergency personnel would likely have cut clothing while assessing injuries.

The lack of visible blood makes me think it could have been a closed head injury. Other injuries that could be considered catastrophic include crushing chest injuries, severe fractures such as a broken neck, and traumatic amputation but that would have produced a large amount of blood.

The “suitcase” is most likely a trauma kit with airway management equipment, an AED, and other trauma supplies.
Bbm.
If the vehicle wheel went over her, that could mean she was immediately incapacitated and unable to breathe without help ?
So she needed the oxygen that would be carried in the emt suitcase ?

Thanks for clearing that up regarding the suitcase being a trauma kit !
Omo.

Bbm.
If the vehicle wheel went over her, that could mean she was immediately incapacitated and unable to breathe without help ?
So she needed the oxygen that would be carried in the emt suitcase ?

Thanks for clearing that up regarding the suitcase being a trauma kit !
Omo.

Chest trauma would require intubation and ventilation. Airway management with catastrophic chest injury is challenging because you need to avoid causing further injury to the lungs.

I’m not saying 100% that the suitcase is a trauma kit but that is what I would be taking with me if I were responding.

"Rohan Dennis and Melissa Hoskins had it all,

with their Olympic dreams fulfilled,

world championship medals secured

and a young family bursting with love.

Then something went terribly, terribly wrong outside their mansion."

:(
I pulled this quote from the article linked here: "The following year they bought a 1905 house on Avenel Gardens Road in Medindie, one of many sprawling colonial mansions in the suburbs, for $2.45m."

You can 'drive' down that street using Google Maps and see, there's no "mansions" there. Absolutely beautiful old (for Australia) homes, yes. But they're still houses. That's the reality of Australian property. Good luck buying a "mansion" for 2.45m in any capital city in Australia!

Its a total side note, but it goes to show how silly these articles can be. So much is being made of the value of their home and their car, like they were wildly wealthy or something, but they're actually just fairly normal prices for things in Australia. They were doing well for themselves but they weren't like, rich rich.

I'm surprised by the dents on the bonnet/hood of the ute/SUV. Wow!

I've seen crazy videos of people purposely jumping on the hood during a dispute. Most are chest first and no dents are caused bc the car is not moving.

These two dents are significant. Was the car moving? Did she literally jump on the hood with two feet?
How do you jump on the hood of a moving car with two feet?

Was there a landing above? Did she jump from a height?

What if the dents are her body being hit by the car and bouncing? What if she didn’t jump onto the vehicle at all?

IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592
Back