DC - Former President Donald Trump indicted, 4 federal counts in 2020 election interference, 1 Aug 2023, Trial 4 Mar 2024 #2

I don’t care how many ways the defense tries to distort the facts, there’s no way it’s legal in the US for a president to try to overthrow the government and still be allowed to run again.
When Trump is convicted on

4 federal counts in 2020 election interference​

then all 50 states will kick his name off the ballot. If he goes to prison like the rest of us would, he won't even be able to go and vote himself.

It was so nice not hearing from him these past few years, now he is in the news all the time.

then all 50 states will kick his name off the ballot. If he goes to prison like the rest of us would, he won't even be able to go and vote himself.

It was so nice not hearing from him these past few years, now he is in the news all the time.
Yes, the federal charges should do it. He'll be kicked off the ballot for the General Election. Lets hope that happens, but its not a sure thing.

Right now I'm focused on making sure my senator is re-elected.

Maine's secretary of state explains why she barred Trump from primary ballot​

Maine is the only state where a challenge to a candidate's qualification is initially the responsibility of the secretary of state rather than a court.

"The U.S. Constitution does not tolerate an assault on the foundations of our government. And Maine election law required me to act in response," she said. "The events of January 6 were unprecedented and tragic. It was an assault not only on the Capitol and government officials, including the former vice president and members of Congress, but on the rule of law itself. … Mr. Trump engaged in that insurrection and thereby, is not qualified to be on the ballot."

"My obligation under Maine state law was to issue a decision very quickly. I'm not permitted under Maine law to wait for the United States Supreme Court to intervene in this particular proceeding."
Mr trump also engaged in an assault on democracy and tried to take away the rights of 81 million citizens whose votes he planned to overturn in order to remain in Office against the will of the People.

I wish I could say it was nice not hearing from him, but I can't: he's never stopped mouthing off and posting trash on social media and being in the news. It's been a continuous barrage of his inflammatory comments, insults, nastiness, cruelty, and narcissism. I'm so sick of it and him and his enablers. MOO

I wish I could say it was nice not hearing from him, but I can't: he's never stopped mouthing off and posting trash on social media and being in the news. It's been a continuous barrage of his inflammatory comments, insults, nastiness, cruelty, and narcissism. I'm so sick of it and him and his enablers. MOO

Well - I guess I am lucky in not having to listen to him over here. I watch BBC - the English news channel that I get here - and they hardly ever show him. Thankfully! I get ALL my news from you all! :D

and an early

Happy New Year Smiley
to ALL who read here!
Fireworks Of Different Colors Smiley

Here is what I have coming up for this case - per my notes. So if someone sees anything different - please let me know. No hearings scheduled that I have seen - nothing untill 2/9 for jury selection.

Updated 12/30/23
DC – 2020 Election. Trump has been charged with 4 criminal counts:
• Conspiracy to defraud the United States
• Conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding
• Obstruction of and attempt to obstruct an official proceeding
• Conspiracy against rights

Wednesday, 1/3/24: Motions replies due.
Wednesday, 1/3/24: The parties shall file objections to exhibits by this date.
Tuesday, 1/9/24: Exhibits lists replies shall be due by this date.
Tuesday, 1/9/24: Oppositions to Motions in Limine shall be filed no later than.
Monday, 1/15/24: Trump to provide formal notice of whether he intends to assert advice-of-counsel defense, & if he does, provide gov’t with the required discovery.
Monday, 1/15/24: Voir Dire/Proposed jury instructions: Counsel shall jointly submit both a short narrative description of the case, to be read to the prospective jurors, and proposed voir dire questions on or before.
Monday, 1/22/24: All Motions in Limine replies shall be due. The court will schedule a hearing on the motion(s) as necessary.
Friday, 2/9/24 – Jury selection to begin @ 9:30am.
Monday, 2/19/24 – Witness list deadline.
Monday, 3/4/24 @ 9:30am – Trial set to begin.

Found the next court date - and too late to edit my above post...

Tuesday, 1/9/24 - Oral arguments hearing @ 9:30am.

Found the next court date - and too late to edit my above post...

Tuesday, 1/9/24 - Oral arguments hearing @ 9:30am.

Yesterday, a group of “16 former prosecutors, elected officials, other government officials, and constitutional lawyers who have collectively spent decades defending the Constitution, the interests of the American people, and the rule of law” submitted a filing to be considered in the 9th Jan oral arguments.

It is their 26-page legal argument that ....

1. The constitution does not endow former presidents with immunity from criminal prosecution.
2. Even if former presidents had some limited immunity against criminal prosecution, it could not conceivably reach the acts alleged here.

It is REALLY good to see some learned people endorsing the hard work being carried out by Jack Smith and his team. imo

The Supreme Court will decide whether former President Donald Trump can be kept off the 2024 presidential ballot.

The case is set for oral argument on Thursday, February 8, 2024.

This is case of Trump, Donald J. vs. Anderson, Norma, et al. [case #23-719]

Do not have this on my list of lawsuits. Does anyone know WHAT State this is in? Not that I am going to keep track of it. Just too many little lawsuits against him...

Is this for Michigan?

Docket updates:

Doc # Date Filed Description
192 Jan 4, 2024 OPPOSED MOTION for Order to Show Cause Why Prosecutors Should Not Be Held in Contempt by DONALD J. TRUMP. (Lauro, John) Modified text on 1/4/2024 (zstd). Main Document Motion for Order to Show Cause

193 Jan 5, 2024 Memorandum in Opposition by USA as to DONALD J. TRUMP re [192] Motion for Order to Show Cause (Windom, Thomas)
Main Document
Memorandum in Opposition

link: https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/67656604/united-states-v-trump/?page=2

This is case of Trump, Donald J. vs. Anderson, Norma, et al. [case #23-719]

Do not have this on my list of lawsuits. Does anyone know WHAT State this is in? Not that I am going to keep track of it. Just too many little lawsuits against him...

Is this for Michigan?

Colorado @Niner

The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday said it would consider the appeal of former President Donald Trump's disqualification from the Colorado GOP primary ballot.

Moving with relative speed in matter that could prove consequential in the 2024 presidential election, the justices set oral arguments for Thursday, Feb. 8.

Colorado @Niner

The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday said it would consider the appeal of former President Donald Trump's disqualification from the Colorado GOP primary ballot.

Moving with relative speed in matter that could prove consequential in the 2024 presidential election, the justices set oral arguments for Thursday, Feb. 8.

Ah - thank you! :)

JAN 4, 2023
Attorneys for former President Donald Trump are once again pushing to delay his federal election interference trial, telling a judge that special counsel Jack Smith and federal prosecutors should be held in contempt for filing motions ahead of deadlines and continuing to provide Trump's team with discovery.

Besides a contempt finding, Trump’s lawyers are asking the court to require prosecutors to get permission from the court before submitting any further filings. The defense wants prosecutors to reimburse Trump for attorneys’ fees and other expenses “that he has incurred responding to the prosecutor’s improper productions and filings.”

JAN 5, 2024
In a brief set of court papers, Mr. Smith’s team acknowledged that the election interference case had been placed on hold while Mr. Trump seeks to have the underlying charges dismissed with broad claims that he is immune to the indictment. But the prosecutors said that they were nonetheless continuing to “voluntarily” file motions and turn over discovery materials to Mr. Trump’s lawyers, explaining that the steps they were taking “impose no requirements” on the former president.

“Nothing here requires any action by the defendant,” the prosecutors wrote, “and he fails to explain how the mere receipt of discovery materials that he is not obligated to review, or the early filing of government pleadings to which he does not yet need to respond, possibly burdens him.”

Tanya Chutkan, presiding judge in Trump’s D.C. criminal case, may have been the target of a “swatting” call tonight. Police & fire services responded to a reported shooting at a home in D.C. They found nothing. Per property records, Chutkan owns the home.

Last edited:
Tuesday, January 9th:
*Oral Arguments Hearing (U.S. Court of Appeals for DC Circuit) (@ 9:30am ET) - DC Donald John Trump (77) has been indicted & charged (8/1/23) & arraigned (8/3/23) with four counts re 2020 election: conspiracy to defraud the United States "by using dishonesty, fraud & deceit to obstruct the nation’s process of collecting, counting & certifying the results of the presidential election"; 2 counts of tampering with witness, victim or an informant, conspiracy to obstruct an Official proceeding & conspiracy against rights of citizens. Plead not guilty. Personal recognizance bond. Conditions of release: agreed to by both sides. No violations of federal law. Must appear in court as required. Must sign appearance bond. Shall not communicate about the facts of the case to any individual known to the defendant to be a witness except through attorneys.
The co-conspirators were excluded from the lawsuit. Five of the six alleged co-conspirators, based on details provided in transcripts of testimony to the Jan. 6 Committee & other records, appear to be: longtime Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani; lawyer John Eastman, who helped architect the "fake electors scheme"; attorney Sidney Powell, who helped lead Trump's post-campaign legal efforts; former Justice Dept. official Jeffrey Clark, whom Trump considered making his attorney general and Kenneth Chesebro, another attorney pushing the "fake electors scheme." It is not clear who co-conspirator 6 is, but it could be Boris Epshteyn??).
Trump's alleged role in the attack on the US Capitol on 6 January 2021, when a mob of his supporters stormed the building in an effort to stop the confirmation of President Joe Biden's election victory, is under scrutiny from several federal government bodies. The most visible has been a congressional committee that spent 18 months looking into Trump's actions. They held a series of televised hearings laying out their case that his election fraud claims led directly to the riot. Following these hearings, the committee accused Trump of inciting insurrection & other crimes.
Defense attorneys: John F. Lauro, lead attorney, Emil Bove, Fitzah I. Pavalon, Pro Hac Vice, Todd Blanche, Pro Hac Vice & Attorney Will Scharf.
Prosecution: Thomas Windom, Molly Gulland Gaston, J.P. Cooney & James Pearce all lead attorneys.
Magistrate Judge Moxila A. Upadhyaya / U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan presiding.
Jury selection set to begin on 2/9/24.
Trial set to begin on 3/4/24.

Case info from 3/25/23 thru 12/7/23 reference post #361 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-1-aug-2023-trial-4-mar-2024-2.690382/page-19

12/7/23 Docket Updates: (179) Notice of Appeal (Interlocutory by Trump re 172 Order on Motion to Dismiss Case, 171 Memorandum Opinion. Filing fee $605, receipt number ADCDC-10543486. Fee Status: Fee Paid. Parties have been notified. (Entered: 12/7/23). Minute Order as to Trump: Upon consideration of Defendant's 178 Motion for Order Regarding Automatic Stay of Proceedings Pending Appeal, it is hereby ORDERED that the government shall file any opposition to Defendant's Motion by 5pm on Sunday & that Defendant shall file any Reply by 5pm on Tuesday, 12/12/23. Signed by Judge Tanya S. Chutkan on 12/7/23. Pretrial hearing on 12/8/23.
12/7/23 Update: Judge Tanya Chutkan rejected the motion [seeking to have the case thrown out altogether, claiming he has complete immunity from the charges due to the fact he was president at the time.] on Thursday, explaining that the former president does not have the "divine right of kings to evade the criminal accountability that governs his fellow citizens." Now, Trump & his legal team have filed an appeal to the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals seeking to overturn Chutkan's decision. In the filing, Trump's attorneys claimed that this appeal request has put a "mandatory & automatic" pause on all other matters involved in the case & further made the assertion that Trump will act as if the pause has been granted, even though Chutkan has not yet ruled to grant one, "absent further order of the Court."
12/8/23 Update: In an order issued Friday, the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals has largely upheld U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan's gag order in the special counsel's federal election interference case against Trump, which prohibits Trump from making public statements about potential witnesses in the case as well as attorneys & court personnel. The notable change from Chutkan's previous order: Trump is now free to level attacks against special counsel Jack Smith himself -- but not members of his team. The appeals court also signaled that they will be resistant to Trump's efforts to delay his trial, writing that "Delaying the trial date until after the election, as Trump proposes, would be counterproductive, create perverse incentives & unreasonably burden the judicial process."
12/8/23 Update: (180) Transmission of the Notice of Appeal, Order Appealed & Docket Sheet to US Court of Appeals. The Court of Appeals fee was paid on 12/7/23 as to Trump re 179 Notice of Appeal - Interlocutory. (Entered: 12/8/23).
12/9/23 Docket Update: (181) Memorandum in Opposition by USA as to Trump re 167 Motion to Compel & in Opposition to ECF No. 166-1 (Motion for an Order Regarding the Scope of the Prosecution Team) (Windom, Thomas). 12/10/23 Docket Update: (182) Memorandum in Opposition by USA as to Trump re 178 Motion for Order (Gaston, Molly).
12/12/23 Update: Special Counsel Jack Smith filed a Petition for a Writ of Certioari before Judgment. Asking them to immediately take up the question of whether Trump is immune from criminal prosecution. 12/13/23 Update: The Supreme Court says it will expedite consideration of the petition from Jack Smith to rule on the question of whether Trump deserves immunity from criminal prosecution for election subversion and instructs team Trump to respond by 12/20/24. In addition to taking Jack Smith's request, the Supreme Court agreed to "review an appellate ruling that revived a charge against three defendants accused of obstruction of an official proceeding. The charge refers to the disruption of Congress’ certification of Joe Biden’s 2020 presidential election victory over Trump." Trump is also accused with that same charge, so the ruling would affect his case too. The judge overseeing former Trump's election subversion case has stayed proceedings while the appeals process out. Judge Chutkan says this doesn't prevent her from enforcing the gag order, protective orders in the case or Trump's conditions of release.
12/11/22 Update: (183) Notice of Summary of Anticipated Expert Testimony by USA as to Trump (Gaston, Molly). 12/12/23 Update: (184) Notice of Filing by USA as to Trump (Windom, Thomas) (185) Reply in Support by Trump re 178 MOTION for Order Regarding Automatic Stay of Proceedings Pending Appeal re 177 Notice of Appeal - Interlocutory (Blanche, Todd). 12/13/23 Update: (186) Opinion & Order as to Trump: Granting in part & denying in part Defendant's 178 Motion to Stay Proceedings Pending Appeal. See Opinion & Order for details. Signed by Judge Tanya S. Chutkan on 12/13/23.
12/19/23 Update: Colorado Supreme Court [#23SA300]: Trump disqualified from Presidency under the 14th Amendment. In this appeal from a district court proceeding under the Colorado Election Code, the Supreme Court considers whether former President Trump may appear on the Colorado Republican presidential primary ballot in 2024. A majority of the court holds that Trump is disqualified from holding the office of President under Section 3 of the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Because he is disqualified, it would be a wrongful act under the Election Code for the Colorado Sec. of State to list him as a candidate on the presidential primary ballot. The Court stays its ruling until 1/4/24, subject to any further appellate proceedings. Judge Sarah B. Wallace. See link: https://www.courts.state.co.us/user...ation/Supreme_Court/Opinions/2023/23SA300.pdf
12/18/23 Update: (188) Notice of service by USA as to Trump (Windom, Thomas). (189) Response by Trump re [188] notice of service.
12/20/23 Update: Trump urges the Supreme Court to reject Jack Smith's motion for expedited consideration of the immunity appeal. His lawyers say Smith has no standing & his petition should be denied. The basis for that argument is that Smith won the district court's ruling and, per Trump, has no basis to appeal the favorable result. They're asking SCOTUS to let the appeals court process play out first, which would surely slow things down by weeks.
12/21/23 Update: Messages from Pennsylvania Representative Scott Perry's cell phone could include evidence about Trump's alleged criminal attempts to overturn the 2020 election results after a judge allowed large numbers of them to be handed over to federal prosecutors, legal experts have said. In a ruling on Tuesday, Chief U.S. District Judge James Boasberg said that more than 1,600 communications sent from Perry, including texts & emails, can be handed over the Special Counsel Jack Smith's office after rejecting the argument they fall under the U.S. Constitution's "speech or debate" clause. The clause states that members of Congress can't be questioned in criminal investigations on matters relating to their legislative duties. Perry, the chair of the House Freedom Caucus, had his phone seized by the FBI in August 2022 as part of the investigation into the attempts to overturn the 2020 presidential election results. Perry is alleged to have been in frequent discussions with Trump as part of the plot to install Dept. of Justice official Jeffrey Clark as attorney general to support the false claim the 2020 election was rigged in the final few weeks of Trump's presidency. Boasberg's decision is largely in line with that of former Chief U.S. District Judge Beryl A. Howell, who previously ruled that Perry must hand over 2,055 documents to Smith's office as they were not part of any official congressional inquiry or investigation and, therefore, not covered by the speech and debate clause. The decision was appealed, resulting in Boasberg analyzing each of the communications from Perry's phone. The judge has now ordered Perry to disclose 1,659 of them to federal prosecutors but not the remaining 396.
12/22/23 Update: U.S. Supreme Court-Jack Smith’s Petition for a writ of certiorai before judgment-Denied.
12/27/23 Docket Update: (191) Motion in Limine by USA as to Trump. Through public statements, filings, and argument in hearings before the Court, the defense has attempted to inject into this case partisan political attacks and irrelevant and prejudicial issues that have no place in a jury trial. Although the Court can recognize these efforts for what they are and disregard them, the jury—if subjected to them—may not. The Court should not permit the defendant to turn the courtroom into a forum in which he propagates irrelevant disinformation, and should reject his attempt to inject politics into this proceeding. To ensure that the jury remains focused on its fact-finding duty and applies the law as instructed by the Court, the defendant’s improper evidence and argument should be excluded.
12/28/23 Update: Next oral arguments hearing on 1/9/24 @ 9:30am in the U.S. Court of Appeals for DC Circuit (a 3-Judge panel) for the immunity question. 12/29/23 Update: Brief of Former Government Officials & Constitutional Lawyers as Amici Curiae in Support of Appellee & Affirmance filed by Fred Wertheimer, Democracy 21 Educational Fund, Matthew A. Seligman of Stris & Maher LLP, Seth P. Waxman, Todd C. Zubler, Colleen M. Campbell, Nathaniel W. Reisinger, David M. Levine & Kyle T. Edwards of Wilmer, Cutler, Pickering, Hale & Dorr LLP. A group of 16 former prosecutors, elected officials, other government officials & constitutional lawyers who have collectively spent decades defending the Constitution, the interests of the American people & the rule of law” submitted a filing to be considered in the 9th January oral arguments hearing. It is their 26-page legal argument that.... 1. The constitution does not endow former presidents with immunity from criminal prosecution. 2. Even if former presidents had some limited immunity against criminal prosecution, it could not conceivably reach the acts alleged here.
1/4/24 Update: (192) Opposed Motion for Order to show cause why prosecutors should not be held in contempt by Trump (Lauro, John). Lawyers for Trump on Thursday pressed to have special counsel Jack Smith’s team held in contempt, saying the prosecutors had taken steps to advance the 2020 election interference case against him in violation of a judge’s order last month that temporarily put the case on hold. Citing “outrageous conduct,” the Republican presidential candidate’s attorneys told U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan in Washington, D.C., that she should consider holding Smith & two of his prosecutors in contempt for turning over to the defense thousands of pages of evidence & an exhibit list while the case was paused & for filing a motion that they said “teems with partisan rhetoric” & “false claims.” In her order last month, Chutkan said that Trump’s appeal “automatically stays any further proceedings that would move this case towards trial or impose additional burdens of litigation” on Trump. Chutkan’s order suggested that requiring additional discovery or briefing would impose a burden on Trump. However, it does not appear to explicitly bar the filing of court papers or prohibit prosecutors from providing information to the defense. Prosecutors acknowledged in a filing late last month that the case had been paused, but they said the government would “continue to meet its own deadlines as previously determined” by the court “to promote the prompt resumption of the pretrial schedule” if & when the case returns to Chutkan. In their motion, defense lawyers say Smith’s team should be punished for nudging the case forward during the pause by producing nearly 4,000 pages of potential evidence. Besides a contempt finding, Trump’s lawyers are asking the court to require prosecutors to get permission from the court before submitting any further filings. The defense wants prosecutors to reimburse Trump for attorneys’ fees & other expenses “that he has incurred responding to the prosecutor’s improper productions & filings. ”Modified text on 1/4/24.
1/5/24 Update: (193) Memorandum in opposition by USA as to Trump re [192] Motion for Order to show cause (Windom, Thomas). 1/5/24 Update: Certiorari Granted. The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday said it would consider the appeal of rump's disqualification from the Colorado GOP primary ballot. Moving with relative speed in matter that could prove consequential in the 2024 presidential election, the justices set oral arguments for Thursday, 2/8/24.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracy of Spicer
Back