MN MN - Richard John ‘Dickie’ Huerkamp, 15, Mapleton, 2 Oct 1965

Just a few comments on this interesting case:

First, if the make and model of shotgun - and possibly its serial number, if it had one - were known, it might be possible to list it as a stolen firearm and might turn up somewhere along the line. A remote possibility at this late date, but why was it not specified back in the 1965 news reports?

Second, much is made of the tracking dog efforts, even though the dogs took two separate scent paths. My question would be, was it actually Dickie's scent they were following, or simply a scent they picked up near the abandoned bicycle? If the latter was the case, it could mean that someone intentionally dumped the bike and items there and then walked away hoping to misdirect search efforts.

Third, anyone who was as dedicated a hunter as Dickie is reported to have been, certainly would not have dumped his bike and important supplies by a driveway alongside a highway and then proceeded to go hunting without them. It is a possibility that he was abducted at or near the site of the bike and taken away from the area. If the abductor did not take the shotgun, perhaps someone else found and stole it, leaving the rest of the items behind.

Agreed. i always found it odd that he would leave supples near the road, if that is really where they were found. My parents, aunts and uncles don’t really know “exactly” where the bike was found. All the high schoolers went out to help search but again, lots of rumors.

Great idea re the gun serial number. I can make some calls go see if it was ever made public the brand, etc. FOIA might be helpful there as well.

In regards to someone happening upon the gun, bike, and stealing the gun. It’s kind of a conundrum. It’s not a highly traveled area. We are talking in the late 80’s, years after this happened, I could ride my bike out there and never see a car, maybe one passerby. But that’s just it, could there have been just one, someone nefarious heading south towards Iowa that grabbed him? In my mind it always seemed highly probable due to never finding his clothing, boots, hat, etc. Some shred of evidence I would think would have eventually floated up. The waters not that deep or big.

My understanding is that he couldn’t yet drive or didn’t have a car to drive. Either way to catch up with the other boys he would have needed a car to get there.
I see. So then he elected to go to a familiar spot closer to home.
Full disclosure, I grew up not even 5 min from where his bike was found, so I know the area like the back of my hand. And it’s a very small town, my family knew his family, but were not close friends or anything.
Being that it was such a small community, if Dickie met with foul play from a local/locals, I'm amazed nothing has come up in all these years.
I do find it odd that he had to borrow a gun from a friend. I don’t know a single farmer that didn’t have several readily available. We grew up with a high sense of respect for guns.
I'd thought maybe his mom or dad had qualms about having guns in the house, but were ok with his hunting.

Nice catch,  Richard. If they were military surplus, I wonder whether they actually fit him, or were a bit large (since he was small for his age, and smaller sizes in surplus clothing can be hard to find).
I can see if I find any school photos of him in the boots. Never thought of that. Any suggestions on what info I should see if I can find in regards to the gun? Brand, serial number, anything else?

In regards to someone happening upon the gun, bike, and stealing the gun. It’s kind of a conundrum. It’s not a highly traveled area. We are talking in the late 80’s, years after this happened, I could ride my bike out there and never see a car, maybe one passerby. But that’s just it, could there have been just one, someone nefarious heading south towards Iowa that grabbed him? In my mind it always seemed highly probable due to never finding his clothing, boots, hat, etc. Some shred of evidence I would think would have eventually floated up. The waters not that deep or big.
RSBM
Whether he was kidnapped or killed, if the gun was used against him, it would be evidence, which is probably why it's missing.
But my big question is why would someone kidnap an undersized high school boy out hunting? I know the world is full of weirdos, but still. Was he having problems with any of the local kids? Did he confide in anyone from school about problems at home?

Last edited:
Agreed. i always found it odd that he would leave supples near the road, if that is really where they were found. My parents, aunts and uncles don’t really know “exactly” where the bike was found. All the high schoolers went out to help search but again, lots of rumors.
It would be interesting to know  how the items were found, as well. As in, were there signs of a struggle, or were they as he left them, etc? As it was his mother who found them, if she was alone, we have only her word to go on (however she reported it back then). A rather gruesome thought, but if his father was involved, she might've been complicit, whether willingly or not. Not accusing, just a thought. jmo
Great idea re the gun serial number. I can make some calls go see if it was ever made public the brand, etc. FOIA might be helpful there as well.
Yes, tracing that shotgun, as well as what info LE had on it at that time.

Back in 1965, a beginning hunter would "make-do" with what he had at hand to dress and outfit himself. While specialized hunting coats, hats, boots, etc. were made and readily available, they were comparatively expensive, and would not be purchased by a growing boy, since next year they might not fit.

Dickie's outfit bears this out. An old pair of gray coveralls, surplus boots, and other items already owned by him. Red was the color of choice before Blaze/Hunter Orange became mandatory after 1965.

Two items that any hunter would have would be a shotgun/shells, and a hunting knife. No mention of a knife in any of the press articles, but he would have had one.

A cheap, single shot shotgun back in 1965 would have cost at least $25 new. A pump shotgun would have been about $75 to $90 new, and a semi auto shotgun would have cost much more. In today's dollar values, multiply those by a factor of 10. These prices were probably well out of range for 15 year old Dickie to afford - thus his need to borrow the shotgun. Perhaps it was Mr. Schultz's intent to eventually sell or give the shotgun to Dickie.

Prior the US Federal Gun Control Act of 1968, not all firearms had to have a serial number. The major brands usually did have serial numbers on their more expensive guns, but often the cheaper models did not have them. Those serial numbers were unique, however, and if the shotgun in question had one, and if it was known, it could provide a way of tracing it back even today.

Some things seem odd or out of the norm to me with the described situation. Nobody with any common sense would leave his lunch, bike, gun case, and shotgun shells in a ditch at the side of the road intentionally.

He may have been abducted while riding his bike at that place where it was found. However, it makes no sense that the abductor would have taken the time to remove the shotgun from the case and leave the case behind. Were there any fingerprints found on the case?

Another possible scenario is that Dickie parked the bike somewhere near his hunting spot and was subsequently abducted or even murdered and his shotgun stolen. The bike and supplies might have been found later by the perpetrator and taken to the place where they were found - perhaps some distance from where the abduction took place in an attempt to misdirect search efforts.

Last edited:
I can see if I find any school photos of him in the boots. Never thought of that. Any suggestions on what info I should see if I can find in regards to the gun? Brand, serial number, anything else?
It would be good to know exactly where Dickie liked to hunt. Most likely he was NOT trying to catch up with his buddies who drove in a car to their destination (unless they planned to hunt within a short distance from Dickie's house).

More likely, he would have gone to one of his own previous hunting spots. Remember, that he left his home at 5am and would have had to travel somewhere close in the dark. So he probably headed for familiar territory.

Last edited:
Here are a few persons mentioned in news stories about Dickie's disappearance and the search for him:

Gary Fitzpatrick fellow hunter

George Carl Johnson, fellow hunter

Jerry D. McGregor, fellow hunter

Mr. Stanley Healy, neighbor at whose house Dickie sometimes stayed and where his mother was headed when she found the bicycle alongside County Road 7.

Ok, I get the idea of "making do" with hunting apparel (I've done that), and borrowing Sis's bike. But what about the alarm clock? It was said he borrowed his parents' alarm clock, but didn't hear it go off, apparently. How did he normally get up? Did his mom (or dad) normally wake the kids for school, and loaned him the alarm clock because they didn't need/ want to be up that early on a Saturday? As  Richard pointed out, guns were/are an expense-- but alarm clocks?? Also, I wonder whether Dickie had a hearing impairment.

I see. So then he elected to go to a familiar spot closer to home.
Yes, close enough to ride his sisters bike to.
Being that it was such a small community, if Dickie met with foul play from a local/locals, I'm amazed nothing has come up in all these years.

I'd thought maybe his mom or dad had qualms about having guns in the house, but were ok with his hunting.

RSBM
Whether he was kidnapped or killed, if the gun was used against him, it would be evidence, which is probably why it's missing.
But my big question is why would someone kidnap an undersized high school boy out hunting? I know the world is full of weirdos, but still. Was he having problems with any of the local kids? Did he confide in anyone from school about problems at home?

Ok, I get the idea of "making do" with hunting apparel (I've done that), and borrowing Sis's bike. But what about the alarm clock? It was said he borrowed his parents' alarm clock, but didn't hear it go off, apparently. How did he normally get up? Did his mom (or dad) normally wake the kids for school, and loaned him the alarm clock because they didn't need/ want to be up that early on a Saturday? As  Richard pointed out, guns were/are an expense-- but alarm clocks?? Also, I wonder whether Dickie had a hearing impairment.
Well I know this, he def did not look like a high school kid. I was told he was really more the size of a 5th grader. Very, very small and young looking. I also got the impression he was a well liked kid. Had friends, a few he was known to run around with but no one has ever mentioned him being bullied or anything. I’ve attached a memorial in the high school year book his class put in during gradation. Seemed like he had a fun sense of humor.

I guess in my mind, kidnapping was always a possibility because there was an opportunity. I mean go back to why was Johnny Gosch kidnapped just south in Iowa during his paper route in 1982 or Jacob Wetterling just north in 1989. Opportunity. That and because the world is full of sick as*holes. But Dickie was alone. He looked young. The closest farm is like over 100 acres in size. I’ve biked that road many times, less than a handful of farms on that stretch of road. So fairly remote. If he screamed I can’t imagine anyone would have heard him.

One thing that doesn’t make sense is that my experience by early Oct most farmers are in the field by 5am. It’s crop time. So I would have thought Mr. Huerkamp would have been wanting to be up early as well.
But again, there has always been that rumor that he and his dad didn’t get along the best. Again, total rumor. No idea what their relationship was like. Not sure why borrowed the alarm clock was even brought up by the mom. It’s a weird detail. Maybe it was that’s how she confirmed she saw him that morning? It’s always seemed odd.

No where does it say either that she was alone when she found the bike. She could have been or Dickies sister Ann may have been with her.

I’ll continue to do some digging. I’ve attached the little memorial page his class put in the year book.

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 27
I’ve attached a memorial in the high school year book his class put in during gradation. Seemed like he had a fun sense of humor.
That was a nice memorial.
I guess in my mind, kidnapping was always a possibility because there was an opportunity. I mean go back to why was Johnny Gosch kidnapped just south in Iowa during his paper route in 1982 or Jacob Wetterling just north in 1989. Opportunity.
It is a possibility.
One thing that doesn’t make sense is that my experience by early Oct most farmers are in the field by 5am. It’s crop time. So I would have thought Mr. Huerkamp would have been wanting to be up early as well.
Did he own a farm, or work for someone else?
But again, there has always been that rumor that he and his dad didn’t get along the best. Again, total rumor. No idea what their relationship was like.
Hunting is normally a father/son thing, and I don't know how Mr Huerkamp could be so certain about Dickie's hunting habits (per the articles), if they didn't do that together, and there was no mention of that. Could Mr Huerkamp have resented that Dickie hunted, rather than say, working with him?
Not sure why borrowed the alarm clock was even brought up by the mom. It’s a weird detail. Maybe it was that’s how she confirmed she saw him that morning? It’s always seemed odd.
That and the claim he was crying because he'd overslept. I interpreted that literally, and it seems odd a 15 yr old boy would be in tears over missing a hunting date. jmo
No where does it say either that she was alone when she found the bike. She could have been or Dickies sister Ann may have been with her.
I'd like to hear Ann's version of events that weekend.

Last edited:
Dickie had two sisters: Ann and Kathy. They were ages 12 and 11 at the time of his disappearance. It would be interesting to hear what they would have to say about him today. Both still live in Minnesota.

Dickie's father (Mathias (Mutzie) Huerkamp) had 11 siblings. He died 2+ years after Dickie's disappearance.

Dickie's mother (Winnie) obit from Find a Grave:

Winifred “Winnie” A. (O'Connor) Madsen, age 86 of Mankato, died Saturday, August 23, 2014 at Pathstone Crossing with her family by her side.
Private services will be held at Northview – North Mankato Mortuary 2060 Commerce Drive, North Mankato, MN 56003. Burial will be in Calvary Cemetery Mapleton, MN. Memorials are preferred to the donor's choice.
Winifred Agnes O'Connor was born October 8, 1927 to Matt and Bessie (Carpenter) O'Connor in Mapleton. She attended grade school at West Lawn Country #149 and graduated from Mapleton High School in 1945. She attended Mankato Teachers College for two years and then taught school at Willow Creek for two years. On November 19, 1949, Winifred was united in marriage to Mathias (Mutzie) Huerkamp of Iona, MN. Three children were born to them. Mutzie Huerkamp passed away on June 6, 1968. On June 27, 1970, Winifred was united in marriage to Orville Madsen at Ss. Peter and Paul Catholic Church in Mankato. Winifred worked at various jobs over the years, the last 20 years at Mankato State University where she started as a janitor and was Building Service Supervisor for 15 years before retiring in 1990. She and her husband, Orville enjoyed international and domestic traveling, spending winters in Arizona, Texas, and Hawaii.
Winifred is survived by her husband of 44 years, Orville Madsen of Mankato; daughters, Ann (Michael) Walters of Mapleton and Kathleen Beyer of Waseca; and grandchildren, Jennifer (Don) Muzzy of Moorhead, MN, Tracy Beyer of Spicer, MN, and Travis Beyer of Waseca.
Winifred was preceded in death by her parents; brother, Robert O'Connor; son, Richard Huerkamp; and first husband, Mutzie Huerkamp.
The family wishes to thank Pathstone Crossing, Mayo Clinic and Hospice for all the wonderful care they gave Winnie.

On Saturday, 2 October 1965, the day that Richard J. "Dickie" Huerkamp disappeared, the University of Minnesota hosted the University of Missouri for a home game in Minneapolis. There was, therefor, an influx of out-of-state visitors that day from Missouri.

Also, of note, is that on the following Wednesday (6 October 1965) the first game of the World Series between the Minnesota Twins and the Los Angles Dodgers would be played in Minnesota. Again, many out-of-state visitors would be arriving.

LINK:

That was a nice memorial.

It is a possibility.

Did he own a farm, or work for someone else?

Hunting is normally a father/son thing, and I don't know how Mr Huerkamp could be so certain about Dickie's hunting habits (per the articles), if they didn't do that together, and there was no mention of that. Could Mr Huerkamp have resented that Dickie hunted, rather than say, working with him?

That and the claim he was crying because he'd overslept. I interpreted that literally, and it seems odd a 15 yr old boy would be in tears over missing a hunting date. jmo

I'd like to hear Ann's version of events that weekend.

On Saturday, 2 October 1965, the day that Richard J. "Dickie" Huerkamp disappeared, the University of Minnesota hosted the University of Missouri for a home game in Minneapolis. There was, therefor, an influx of out-of-state visitors that day from Missouri.

Also, of note, is that on the following Wednesday (6 October 1965) the first game of the World Series between the Minnesota Twins and the Los Angles Dodgers would be played in Minnesota. Again, many out-of-state visitors would be arriving.

LINK:

Oh wow, interesting…

So now I’m really confused on the location of where the bike, lunch, etc were found. I always believed it was found on a field drive by the bridge on highway 7. There is a little river there that I figured what the papers referred to as, where he could have drowned. (Not very deep, but ok) but I was told by relatives that that’s not the case despite the news. It was found a lot further away than what seems reported. Also said that they used a boat and drove the nose up on the shore to try and use the motor to stir anything up from the bottom. I guess I’ll just need to file a FOIA to see if I can get more info.

So now I’m really confused on the location of where the bike, lunch, etc were found. I always believed it was found on a field drive by the bridge on highway 7. There is a little river there that I figured what the papers referred to as, where he could have drowned. (Not very deep, but ok) but I was told by relatives that that’s not the case despite the news. It was found a lot further away than what seems reported. Also said that they used a boat and drove the nose up on the shore to try and use the motor to stir anything up from the bottom. I guess I’ll just need to file a FOIA to see if I can get more info.
It's not uncommon for things to be inaccurately reported. It makes it difficult to investigate a case, but it happens.

They did show up. Rang the doorbell and no one answered, so they left and went hunting without him. Reportedly they went to Hungry Hollow which is the opposite direction to where “Dickie” went hunting. It’s north on 22 about 30ish min away.
I have always found it “odd” that no one heard the doorbell. It’s all very rural, farm land. Long gravel driveways, and almost everyone has a dog that would bark if a car or someone came on the property. Makes me wonder if the rumors about his dad had some truth.
This is interesting. Do you have any sources for this? I would like to learn more on this aspect. I'm a MN-Native and enjoy looking into cases. I hadn't heard of this one.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ammereignw
Back