Cases from 1980-1989

TERESABRIGNONI-1.jpg

Case # 83-1989
Murder of Teresa Brignoni
February 21, 1983 – Ollerton Street, Conroe, Texas

SYNOPSIS: Brignoni (28 yoa) lived on Ollerton Street, Conroe, Texas,
with her fiancé. On February 21, 1983, at approx. 8:30 pm, she visited her mother in Laporte, Texas and departed for Conroe at about 9:15 pm.
Brignoni was last seen driving her blue 1981 Datsun 200SX. On February
23, 1983, her fiancé reported her as a Missing Person. On or about
February 27, 1983, the MCSO began receiving calls about an abandoned
vehicle at the end of South Lake Shore Drive in the McCrae Lakes
Subdivision off FM 1484 in Conroe. MCSO Deputies subsequently
checked the car, discovered that it belonged to Brignoni, and found
Brignoni’s dead body in the trunk. An autopsy revealed that she had been
suffocated. There was no evidence of sexual assault or robbery.

Montgomery County Sheriff's Department Cold Cases
Authorities: Texas man, 75, admits he killed fiancée in 1983

Noel Leon King Jr. of La Porte (luh PORT') was being held Saturday in the Montgomery County jail on $300,000 bond. The Houston Chronicle reports King admitted to investigators that he fractured the skull of 28-year-old Teresa Brignoni during an argument, leading him to panic and place her body in his car. She was found dead in Conroe.

Read more here: Authorities: Texas man, 75, admits he killed fiancée in 1983

Hi Everyone. New to this thread. I hope someone can point me in the right direction.
On Jan. 8th, 1983 or 1984, I was abducted at gunpoint, driven from Irving, TX to Hutchings, TX and sexually assaulted. It happened down a rural dirt road called Lemon Ave. The kind you would see in a horror movie with old mattresses and boxsprings dumped, couches, bags of garbage. He drove me around for hours, before taking me to Hutchings, and I studied the landmarks in case I was able to escape. This man planned to kill me and leave me in that field. I tricked him into taking me to a motel we had passed before we got to this dirt road. He took me there, and it was a motel for prostitutes where you pay by the half hour. I jumped out of the car and, long story short, escaped. It was NOT an easy escape.
I was 20-21 years old at the time. A lot of other stuff happened that I don't want to release publicly.
The man was black, early 40's, well dressed, with a short afro and full beard and moustache. I have searched on and off for him since I got my 1st computer in 1998.
Has anyone heard of a serial killer or rapist, or of any bodies that were found off of Lemon Ave in Hutchings, TX in the early 80's? He seemed to know the area well. He thought I was a prostitute but I wasn't. I was a cocktail waitress at Alberts Lounge in the Ramada Inn Texas Stadium in Arlington, TX. I lived in Irving. When he found out I wasn't a prostitute, he refused to believe me. When I finally convinced him, he was angry like he had messed up. That struck me as odd and I never forgot how mad he was at himself. I now know why. Prostitutes are usually not in contact with people who would report them missing. This crime destroyed my life. In so many ways. I don't want to start a thread, but because Hutchings, TX is off I-45, I thought I would start here. Thankyou.

Hi my name's Chris and I couldnt help but notice and think about your post in detail. Number one- I lived in Irving until I was nine years old-off Pioneer and then moved to Arlington-I also am now a teacher and pass by this 'area' you mention of what you called 'Hutchings.' However, I believe the area you're talking about, off of I 45 is 'Hutchins.' In fact that area 'Wilmer-Hutchins' is VERY well known for crime and to this day is extremely dangerous-I know- I teach a number of kids from there. After reading your post-I must say that I am in total agreement with you, this guy had done this before. I searched anywhere and everywhere to see if any bodies/murders occurred near there and found nothing. But there is one particular case that I find curious in regard to your story. There was a girl in 1990 or 1991 (somewhere around that time) that went missing. I was a working musician at the time and can clearly recall her posters all over Dallas near music clubs because initially they thought she went missing from Deep Ellum, which btw is about 10 min. away from the area you mentioned. Later it was discovered that she must have been abducted from a nearby apt complex- her purse and keys were found on the ground as if she'd been taken violently. The girl's name was Christina Gill and her case is still unsolved. She is on the cover of a book entitled 'Murderers Among Us' and she had a 'goth' style look. Long story short her body was found quite close to the area you mention-in a tree. That year there was major flooding and the killer had more than likely thrown her near or in the Trinity river and as the waters lowered she was caught in a tree. I say all of this to say that I have to wonder if this guy you mention had anything to do with her case (I know it's a stretch) or for that matter the MANY bodies that are found tossed in the Trinity river-which is right by the area off Hutchins road. In Christina's case it doesnt appear that whoever grabbed her was having a conversation with her-instead they must have grabbed her-that's what I gather at least from the few articles I've read-but in your story it seems that maybe this creep was talking to you before taking you...

LAURAMARIEPURCHASE.jpg

Murder of Laura Marie Purchase
March 17, 1983 – I-45 at League Line Road, Conroe, Texas
SYNOPSIS: At approx. 3:00 am, an MCSO Patrol Deputy observed a fire
burning just inside the woods along the northbound service road of I-45 at
League Line Road. The dead body of an unidentified white female was
found within the fire, which had recently been set. An autopsy determined
that she had died from strangulation and the fire set with an accelerant.
Self-professed Serial Killer Henry Lee Lucas subsequently confessed to
the crime, along with several others in Montgomery County, in 1983.
Lucas had confessed to approx. 600 murders, with about 200 cleared
across the United States. In 1986, the victim was later positively
identified as Laura Marie Purchase after fingerprints were matched.
Purchase was last known to have been in Houston, Texas on March 5,
1983, living with a man named “Howard” or “Howie” who played in a
band called “Malibu”. Lucas died in prison in 2001, after his death
sentence was commuted to life. Lucas had recanted his confessions and it is believed that he is not responsible for most of the crimes he confessed too. Recent DNA testing of semen from Purchase’s body has been conducted by MCSO Cold Case Detectives, eliminating Lucas from the DNA.

Montgomery County Sheriff's Department Cold Cases
Arrest made in 1983 cold case murder in Montgomery County
Arrest made in 1983 cold case murder in Montgomery County

In October 2019, investigators sent the DNA evidence for genealogy testing, which showed Thomas Elvin Darnell, a 75-year-old male from Kansas City, Kansas, as a potential suspect, according to a release. A DNA search warrant for Darnell was obtained as a result of the investigation, according to a release.

Montgomery County Cold Case Detectives went to Kansas on March 17, 38 years later to the day, and collected a known DNA sample from Darnell.

On April 30, his DNA sample was positively matched to the DNA collected from Purchase, according to a release.

I wonder if his DNA or the found DNA has already been compared to other victims or if they’ll proceed now with it?
Hopefully it is both - they waited to get him airtight and everything was done legally.

Hi my name's Chris and I couldnt help but notice and think about your post in detail. Number one- I lived in Irving until I was nine years old-off Pioneer and then moved to Arlington-I also am now a teacher and pass by this 'area' you mention of what you called 'Hutchings.' However, I believe the area you're talking about, off of I 45 is 'Hutchins.' In fact that area 'Wilmer-Hutchins' is VERY well known for crime and to this day is extremely dangerous-I know- I teach a number of kids from there. After reading your post-I must say that I am in total agreement with you, this guy had done this before. I searched anywhere and everywhere to see if any bodies/murders occurred near there and found nothing. But there is one particular case that I find curious in regard to your story. There was a girl in 1990 or 1991 (somewhere around that time) that went missing. I was a working musician at the time and can clearly recall her posters all over Dallas near music clubs because initially they thought she went missing from Deep Ellum, which btw is about 10 min. away from the area you mentioned. Later it was discovered that she must have been abducted from a nearby apt complex- her purse and keys were found on the ground as if she'd been taken violently. The girl's name was Christina Gill and her case is still unsolved. She is on the cover of a book entitled 'Murderers Among Us' and she had a 'goth' style look. Long story short her body was found quite close to the area you mention-in a tree. That year there was major flooding and the killer had more than likely thrown her near or in the Trinity river and as the waters lowered she was caught in a tree. I say all of this to say that I have to wonder if this guy you mention had anything to do with her case (I know it's a stretch) or for that matter the MANY bodies that are found tossed in the Trinity river-which is right by the area off Hutchins road. In Christina's case it doesnt appear that whoever grabbed her was having a conversation with her-instead they must have grabbed her-that's what I gather at least from the few articles I've read-but in your story it seems that maybe this creep was talking to you before taking you...
Hey so I live about 3 1/2 hours round about from Hutchins down by Conroe. I don't know if it helps any but from a unsolved murders map someone from this site made I found several rape cases from 1980-1989. I don't know if they fit this person's MO but it might be helpful to look at. There were a lot of deaths by strangling after being sexually assaulted. Thought to give a heads up? If they haven't found the person yet that is.

Hi Everyone. New to this thread. I hope someone can point me in the right direction.
On Jan. 8th, 1983 or 1984, I was abducted at gunpoint, driven from Irving, TX to Hutchings, TX and sexually assaulted. It happened down a rural dirt road called Lemon Ave. The kind you would see in a horror movie with old mattresses and boxsprings dumped, couches, bags of garbage. He drove me around for hours, before taking me to Hutchings, and I studied the landmarks in case I was able to escape. This man planned to kill me and leave me in that field. I tricked him into taking me to a motel we had passed before we got to this dirt road. He took me there, and it was a motel for prostitutes where you pay by the half hour. I jumped out of the car and, long story short, escaped. It was NOT an easy escape.
I was 20-21 years old at the time. A lot of other stuff happened that I don't want to release publicly.
The man was black, early 40's, well dressed, with a short afro and full beard and moustache. I have searched on and off for him since I got my 1st computer in 1998.
Has anyone heard of a serial killer or rapist, or of any bodies that were found off of Lemon Ave in Hutchings, TX in the early 80's? He seemed to know the area well. He thought I was a prostitute but I wasn't. I was a cocktail waitress at Alberts Lounge in the Ramada Inn Texas Stadium in Arlington, TX. I lived in Irving. When he found out I wasn't a prostitute, he refused to believe me. When I finally convinced him, he was angry like he had messed up. That struck me as odd and I never forgot how mad he was at himself. I now know why. Prostitutes are usually not in contact with people who would report them missing. This crime destroyed my life. In so many ways. I don't want to start a thread, but because Hutchings, TX is off I-45, I thought I would start here. Thankyou.
Hey Juliana, I saw your post and couldn't help but notice some things really stuck out to me. My great grandfather was murdered on January 4th 1984. He owned the Roma motel I believe in Dallas and if I remember correctly it was close to lemmon ave. He was found strangled in the utility closet in his motel with clothing line and was found tied to a chair. He was a booker/bookie Im not sure which one is the correct term but basically he was involved in illegal gambling and helped run them and went by the nickname spider. He had many affairs and the investigators couldn't solve the case and it remains a cold case but it's been nearly impossible for me to find any information on the extra details. My grandmother told me that her mother believed it was a jealous ex. Based on your situation I wonder if there are any correlations to the crimes. He was found in the morning also, so he was murdered at night. Also my great grandfather was native american/Caucasian.

picture.php

http://www.woodlandsonline.com/dbs/s...e/COLDCASE.pdf

1984 Case # 84-19417
Murder of Brenda Maureen Hackett

September 9, 1984 – FM 2854 3 miles west of I-45, Conroe, Texas

SYNOPSIS: Brenda Hackett was 24 years of age, lived in a rented home
off Roy Harris Loop (Conroe), and worked at Club Daniels in Conroe as a
server. On September 9, 1984, at approx. 4:23 pm, Brenda Hackett
phoned her mother from a payphone at Safeway located at 1100 West
Dallas Street, Conroe. On September 10, 1984, at approx. 3:00 pm, a
passing train observed a body in “Contrary Creek” located alongside the
railroad trestle next to FM 2854 approx. 3 miles west of I-45. MCSO
Deputies responded and found the dead body of Hackett lying partially in
the water and she had been strangled with a pair of pantyhose. On
September 13, 1984, Hackett’s dark green 1967 Ford Mustang was found
abandoned on Arnold Street, just behind the Cross-Roads Shopping Center
where Hackett had made her last known phone call. The car contained
Hackett’s purse and shoes and had been observed parked at that location
on September 10, 1984, at approx. 4:30 am. MCSO Cold Case Detectives
recently had DNA testing conducted on semen collected from Hackett’s
body, which resulted in an unknown male DNA profile being obtained.

texas.gif

Jerry Michael Ward was a suspect: He was the number one suspect in two new cases, involving the the disappearance of Connie Sue Cooke, and the murder of Brenda Maureen Hackett. But althought police were on the verge of arresting him, Ward committed suicide in a self-inflicted execution.
Prosecutors to seek death penalty in killing at Metro PCS store
Hey. My mother was Connie Sue Cooke. If anyone has any other information about her or Jerry Micheal Ward, if appreciate it. Conroe Cold Case detectives aren't doing anything about it.

I'm sorry it took so long to reply. Thankyou for your information. I was reading an article from a Podcast called "https://www.fwweekly.com/2021/03/24/still-waiting/". The man they mention Curtis Lee Brown looks so much like the man who abducted me. I really believe it could be him. He was arrested in 1986 and passed in prison in 2021. The cases in this podcast article are different than mine, but they only chose the ones that were similar. There are others they didn't discuss that might be more in line with what happened to me. My abductor thought I was a prostitute. I was a cocktail waitress and when he mentioned the $50.00 tips he gave me after I brought him a drink, I told him I was a cocktail waitress. He didn't seem to know that cocktail waitresses and prostitutes are 2 different professions. He got very upset that I wasn't a prostitute. I mean angry like he had screwed up. That leads me to believe his usual victims were prostitutes or cocktail waitresses he assumed were prostitutes. He knew his way around Hutchins and seedy areas in and around Oak Cliff, a neighborhood of Dallas. He took me along a road that had a tall solid metal fence and on the other side it was a drive in showing X rated films. He tried to force me to watch but I wouldn't. I don't know where that drive in was but he got angry I wouldn't watch. This man destroyed my life. I made decisions based on PTSD. I still have horrible flashbacks and have become a recluse. My family pretty much left me to deal with this on my own. They didn't want to admit that this happened to me. They didn't want me to talk about it at all period. Even accusing me of lying. Trying to navigate through life was and still is hard for me.
Thankyou so much for checking into other cases. It means a lot to me. He had no intention of letting me leave those Lemon Ave fields alive.
Thankyou so much for taking the time to

Hey so I live about 3 1/2 hours round about from Hutchins down by Conroe. I don't know if it helps any but from a unsolved murders map someone from this site made I found several rape cases from 1980-1989. I don't know if they fit this person's MO but it might be helpful to look at. There were a lot of deaths by strangling after being sexually assaulted. Thought to give a heads up? If they haven't found the person yet that is.
Thankyou for your reply. I couldn't find the map you spoke of but am interested in seeing it
Hey Juliana, I saw your post and couldn't help but notice some things really stuck out to me. My great grandfather was murdered on January 4th 1984. He owned the Roma motel I believe in Dallas and if I remember correctly it was close to lemmon ave. He was found strangled in the utility closet in his motel with clothing line and was found tied to a chair. He was a booker/bookie Im not sure which one is the correct term but basically he was involved in illegal gambling and helped run them and went by the nickname spider. He had many affairs and the investigators couldn't solve the case and it remains a cold case but it's been nearly impossible for me to find any information on the extra details. My grandmother told me that her mother believed it was a jealous ex. Based on your situation I wonder if there are any correlations to the crimes. He was found in the morning also, so he was murdered at night. Also my great grandfather was native american/Caucasian.
It doesn't sound like it could be related. I'm so sorry. My abductor was after women, I believe. The motel I was taken to had a small drive up window and inside was very small with only one girl working the window. I'm sorry. I hope you find out who did this to your grandfather. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Curtis Don Brown. Not Curtis Lee Brown.

This link is for the info on the old Linda Kay drive in - South Dallas and an 8 minute drive to Hutchins, TX. They were showing *advertiser censored* as a drive in in 1982-1984 time frame
I wonder if this is the area you remember @JulianaMoon
I will check it out. Thanks so much!!!

I've been trying to get more info on the Mary Tills death. She disappeared from Arlington near where I worked. I worked at Collins @ Lamar in Arlington, TX.
That is where my kidnapper 1st saw me. At my job. I was a cocktail waitress at Alberts in the Ramada Inn.
She apparently disappeared from her apt in Arlington, or on her way to work in Dallas on August 18th, 1983. That was about the same time my kidnapper first came to my job and I waited on him.
Her body was found January 4th in a field in south Dallas. She had been shot.
My kidnapper came to my job for the 2nd time in the week between Christmas and New Years and I waited on him again.
I was kidnapped January 8th 1984 and taken to Hutchins at gunpoint to a field. Mary Tills was found in 7 miles from Hutchins. Her body was found 4 days before my kidnapping, although her burnt up car was found in the same field 5 mos earlier.
How is that possible that they found her car but not her body? I would assume the field had been searched by LE at the time they found her car. Did they miss her body or could he have moved it?
She had a date the night before she went missing. I wish I knew where the date took her. He dropped her off at her apartment in Arlington. The next day she call her job in Dallas and said she would be late. Did she give a reason?
I think of all the murders in the area, Mary Tills and my kidnapping may have been committed by the same person.
Thankyou for your help.

This link is for the info on the old Linda Kay drive in - South Dallas and an 8 minute drive to Hutchins, TX. They were showing *advertiser censored* as a drive in in 1982-1984 time frame
I wonder if this is the area you remember @JulianaMoon
Hard to tell if that was it. I remember pulling off a road, maybe a feeder road, onto a dirt road that had a bend and he pulled up next to the big solid metal fence. The screen was to the right on an angle from where he parked. We were not far from the left side of the screen.
If it were a baseball diamond, and the screen was home plate, we were to the left of home plate. The screen faced 2nd base.
I remember my favorite song came on his radio. Teena Marie's "Out on a Limb". I thought "No. Not now. Don't ruin this song for me".
Couldn't listen to it again. I tried about 8 mos ago, hoping it would jar a memory but all it did was take me back to that time of my life when I was so innocent and filled with hopes and dreams, and how he had stolen so much from me. And 40 years later seeing how it affected every aspect of my life negatively.
Sometimes I wish I would have died that night. Well, a big part of me did.

Hard to tell if that was it. I remember pulling off a road, maybe a feeder road, onto a dirt road that had a bend and he pulled up next to the big solid metal fence. The screen was to the right on an angle from where he parked. We were not far from the left side of the screen.
If it were a baseball diamond, and the screen was home plate, we were to the left of home plate. The screen faced 2nd base.
I remember my favorite song came on his radio. Teena Marie's "Out on a Limb". I thought "No. Not now. Don't ruin this song for me".
Couldn't listen to it again. I tried about 8 mos ago, hoping it would jar a memory but all it did was take me back to that time of my life when I was so innocent and filled with hopes and dreams, and how he had stolen so much from me. And 40 years later seeing how it affected every aspect of my life negatively.
Sometimes I wish I would have died that night. Well, a big part of me did.
I bet the Linda Kay was the one.The Lone Star is the only other drive-in in the Dallas area that showed x movies that I can find from that time frame and that area doesn’t seem nearly as rural.
You have great power as a survivor. You’ve been through hell and escaped because of your ingenuity and strength. That’s something to be incredibly proud of. You are a boss- you outwitted him and fought him off. You also have had the strength to face your trauma and look for your perp. That takes extreme guts.
Many of the people on Websleuths are victims themselves or have lost friends or loved ones to animals like your perp.
You are not alone.
I admire your bravery and hope that you can keep moving ahead with your head held high, realizing how amazing you really are and how you have survived because of how proactive and intuitive you are.
He took from you but you have taken everything that counts back.
You outsmarted the beast.
Good luck in identifying him and being able to move forward confidently.

posting for @JulianaMoon to see if any of these photos look familiar and still digging- this brutal attack happened during a kidnapping outside a bar in Dallas and ended up in a field near I 45 and Overton - not far from the Wilmer Hutchins area. There were two perps but commonality with your case in some ways

Attachments

• IMG_2645.png
    IMG_2645.png
    437.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Check out Flynn Clarence Bell - he was an active serial rapist during the time of your attack. He had been recently paroled and has been in prison since 1993. He is around 78 years old now but his photo fits your description @JulianaMoon

If you contact detectives with the Dallas Police Department they should have information they can share regarding the case you think is similar to yours.
Also, if you contact crime reporters at the Dallas Morning News they could send you old articles that are archived.
Lastly, you could hire a sketch artist to draw your perp from memory and post if all else fails.

Sadly, at the time of your attack Dallas had three times (3x) the national average of rapes- simply unconscionable.

Attachments

• IMG_2649.png
    IMG_2649.png
    300.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I bet the Linda Kay was the one.The Lone Star is the only other drive-in in the Dallas area that showed x movies that I can find from that time frame and that area doesn’t seem nearly as rural.
You have great power as a survivor. You’ve been through hell and escaped because of your ingenuity and strength. That’s something to be incredibly proud of. You are a boss- you outwitted him and fought him off. You also have had the strength to face your trauma and look for your perp. That takes extreme guts.
Many of the people on Websleuths are victims themselves or have lost friends or loved ones to animals like your perp.
You are not alone.
I admire your bravery and hope that you can keep moving ahead with your head held high, realizing how amazing you really are and how you have survived because of how proactive and intuitive you are.
He took from you but you have taken everything that counts back.
You outsmarted the beast.
Good luck in identifying him and being able to move forward confidently.
Thankyou so much for your kind words and support.
Sadly, in 1997 I was on a 3rd date with a guy I really liked. We were supposed to go to dinner. He brought 2 friends. They drugged my pop and took me back to my apt and took turns all night long. That one was much harder for me to recover from because I trusted my date. I didn't call police due to how I was treated in TX. I had a nervous breakdown and got into intense counseling. Than I left the state to move to a rural area in the SE. My brother moved down the next year and bought a house just blocks from me. Than he had 3 strokes and after being in coma, going thru speech and PT, he was doing OK except walking was unsteady and his speech was bad.
In 2017, my brother got sick and ended up on life support an hour away. (Closest major hospitals). Squatters moved into his house and were doing and dealing crack and meth. They were selling all his furniture and belongings. I got POA over my brother so I could evict the squatters. I had to call the police here almost daily to report more of my brothers belongings missing and than call again to show the missing stuff for sale on FB marketplace. Police did nothing. The police treated me like a criminal. They said there was no way I could prove the stuff was my brothers. My brother got better and was placed in a facility for physical therapy. It took me 53 days to get the squatters out. When it was time for sheriff to come and throw them out, they refused to do it until my brother came back home. I had also gotten a restraining order against the main squatter at my brothers request. It was a nightmare. My brother was afraid to come home with them living in his house. I was PTSDing real bad from the way the police treated me and my brother. They told me to "go home yankee." and "You and your brother are not welcome here". I talked to Chief of Police. Nothing happened. Finally, on the 53rd day, only 2 squatters remained. They left to go to the store and I changed the locks. They had no belongings and the restraining order was in effect. They sold everything of my brothers. Including his hand urinal, underwear, coat, socks, clothes, pots and pans, silverware, antiques and furniture. They left behind bedbugs.
After we cleaned the house, debedbugged it, demethed it and got him a new bed, dishes, pots and pans, etc he was able to come home.
I had another nervous breakdown and could not find treatment. Than I got sick and have been in bed almost 6 years. My brother died of Covid in 2022.
I have almost constant PTSD issues and cannot find treatment that will take my insurance. I'm here alone with no family or friends and just want to move back home. But with my health, PTSD and SSD income, it's nearly impossible.
So...I was strong but now not as much. It has been a really hard. I don't trust the police here. The neighborhood has gotten bad. And I feel like a sitting duck.
Thankyou for your kind words and support.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeymourMann
Back