Found Deceased GA - University of Georgia Laken Hope Riley, 22, found dead near University of Georgia intramural fields, foul play suspected, 22 Feb 2024

I'm curious how you think they look identical? They look like completely different people to me, aside from both appearing to be Hispanic. The features are totally different IMO. Very defined nose and flared nostrils in the sketches, defined cheekbones, and a defined jawline. The nose of the guy in the photo is not very defined, no defined nostrils, fairly chubby face with no defined jawline, and the face shapes look completely different. Earlobes are different as well as eyebrow structure. What am I missing?

*Edited to add the thing about earlobes and eyebrows.
tough to compare a sketch with that photo because everything in the sketch is defined; the photo has a lot of light making the nose appear wider and it has shadow blurring the jaw line which is not clean shaven. The ears and eyebrows look a bit similar to me- I agree that the second individual's chin looks "chubbier"but if you tilt your own chin at different angles, you can "change" your jaw line in a photo. We know from other cases that sketches are pretty approximate- the poster who said DNA will decide was probably right. Does GA collect DNA with intake?

tough to compare a sketch with that photo because everything in the sketch is defined; the photo has a lot of light making the nose appear wider and it has shadow blurring the jaw line which is not clean shaven. The ears and eyebrows look a bit similar to me- I agree that the second individual's chin looks "chubbier"but if you tilt your own chin at different angles, you can "change" your jaw line in a photo. We know from other cases that sketches are pretty approximate- the poster who said DNA will decide was probably right. Does GA collect DNA with intake?
Right, even comparing photos people can look totally different. I’ve seen pictures of myself taken on the same night where I look skinny in one and overweight in the other. Features can change dramatically from photo to photo, etc. Bottom line, cameras do weird things. I don’t think the possibility can be ruled out.

Right, even comparing photos people can look totally different. I’ve seen pictures of myself taken on the same night where I look skinny in one and overweight in the other. Features can change dramatically from photo to photo, etc. Bottom line, cameras do weird things. I don’t think the possibility can be ruled out.
Right! How many times do we see pics of celebrities where they claim they had plastic surgery of some sort. Often it’s obvious but many times I think it’s different angles or lighting.

Good thing for DNA. If he was Rachel Morin’s killer, they will find out.

Laken Riley’s Facebook page contains a few photos of her on a beach and in a graduation scene. The page says she attended the University of Georgia and was in the class of 2024. However, she had switched universities.

Riley’s mother posted frequently on Facebook about her daughter’s promising future.

Riley’s mom wrote on Facebook on February 3, “Proud mom moment! Laken made Dean’s List (her name is in the top right corner). This girl works harder than any one I know! She is going to be a phenomenal nurse ❤️

In January, Riley’s mother wrote, “Happy birthday to my beautiful, smart, hard working, kind and thoughtful Laken . I am so proud of you and love you beyond words. I wish I could be with you today. I hope you have an awesome day celebrating with your friends! ”

I am very thankful for the quick work by LE, in getting this suspect into custody. So often, whenever a crime like this is committed, the perp goes on the run as soon as the case gets coverage in the media. This guy didn't even have time to pack a bag and flee. Kudos to local LE for the hard work in bringing this perp in, and may their continued work yield a strong case that will lead to a conviction. JMO

Last edited:
I think he prevented his roommates from making the call to 911 and he tried to put her in his car.
I was just about to post the same about the hindering call to 911 charge. Also wondering about the kidnapping and false imprisonment charges. Not saying he didn't commit those crimes against Laken but wouldn't they need evidence of that to prove in court? Perhaps those charges are in relation to a roommate who tried to turn him in?

Shocking ... great work by Georgia LE to apprehend him before he hightailed it to Mexico.
It’s rare to see things move this fast in a random murder. I can’t wait to know the specifics of the evidence against him.

It’s interesting, some of these guys run, and some of them don’t. Just glad he never got the chance.

I was just about to post the same about the hindering call to 911 charge. Also wondering about the kidnapping and false imprisonment charges. Not saying he didn't commit those crimes against Laken but wouldn't they need evidence of that to prove in court? Perhaps those charges are in relation to a roommate who tried to turn him in?
Kidnapping and imprisonment could be as simple as moving and restraining the victim against her will. Taking her off the trail and preventing her from running away might qualify.

Note: I am not a lawyer.

jmo

I do not see the suspect showing up yet in the Athens-Clarke County jail listings. Guessing he will show up in the list sometime tomorrow.

Kidnapping and imprisonment could be as simple as moving and restraining the victim against her will. Taking her off the trail and preventing her from running away might qualify.

Note: I am not a lawyer.

jmo
Yes, I’m sure that’s it.

(a) A person commits the offense of kidnapping when such person abducts or steals away another person without lawful authority or warrant and holds such other person against his or her will.
(b)(1) For the offense of kidnapping to occur, slight movement shall be sufficient;
 provided, however, that any such slight movement of another person which occurs while in the commission of any other offense shall not constitute the offense of kidnapping if such movement is merely incidental to such other offense.
(2) Movement shall not be considered merely incidental to another offense if it:
(A) Conceals or isolates the victim;
(B) Makes the commission of the other offense substantially easier;
(C) Lessens the risk of detection;  or
(D) Is for the purpose of avoiding apprehension.

“The apprehension of a suspect, however, does not erase the fact that a vibrant young life was senselessly taken on our campus,” the email said.

The statement confirmed that classes will resume on Monday, Feb. 26. It also acknowledged the death of a student in Brumby Hall on Wednesday night and shared information about an upcoming vigil. The UGA chapters of Alpha Chi Omega and Kappa Sigma will jointly host a vigil, open to the campus community, at Tate Plaza on Feb. 26 at 3 p.m. to remember the two students who died this week.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
simwolves
Back