CA - Cash App Creator, Bob Lee, Stabbed to Death, San Francisco, Apr 2023 *Arrest*

So maybe Cohen is a licensed attorney in California? This team changes up so much it’s hard to keep track.

I’m still confused by what the attorneys think was “politics” damaging the case.

Okay, so Cohen and Zangeneh are not licensed to practice law in California, IMO.

They are alleging that the Public Defender that Momeni first had was unprofessional and political. And they are alleging that Horngrad was "hostile" for suggesting a plea bargain. He IS licensed in California - but apparently, the FL lawyers want him off the case.

This is part of their change of venue motion. Which they apparently filed with Horngrad's California bar number.

So, well, this is a recipe for Momeni staying in jail a few months longer than he may have anticipated before his trial comes in front of a jury - and they want it OUT of the Bay Area (the most liberal part of California, in the opinion of many).

Now, it'll be interesting to see who in the world will be their California license-bearing attorney - I suppose they'll want one in the new jurisdiction. I do wonder if SF will just want to get rid of this case.

Fascinating. This is how I interpret the article posted just above.

True! I was puzzling over that as well. A small thing but in light of the motion for change of venue (and that is mentioned in the article) the reporter ought to have put "tentative" for sure.

Now that I've read the change of venue motion, I'm pondering whether the Defense's claim that the victim is a "celebrity" is enough for a venue change. They are claiming he's a "Bay Area celebrity," not a statewide one, I guess. I'd say that's possibly accurate - but not so sure that most San Franciscans, these days, are in Tech or will have heard of him.

I'm curious now to know what the Judge rules.
Interesting to catch up on this. Wow, the sister is in trouble too, for DUI and hitting someone?

As for change of venue for Momini, it seems from a lot of trials I’ve followed recently, judges prefer to wait until they begin voir dire before they consider change of venue. If they find too many prospective jurors don’t think they can be impartial, then they consider change of venue. They don’t automatically grant a change of venue based on a defense attorney’s argument. So they set a trial date and see what happens when jurors are questioned.

Interesting to catch up on this. Wow, the sister is in trouble too, for DUI and hitting someone?

As for change of venue for Momini, it seems from a lot of trials I’ve followed recently, judges prefer to wait until they begin voir dire before they consider change of venue. If they find too many prospective jurors don’t think they can be impartial, then they consider change of venue. They don’t automatically grant a change of venue based on a defense attorney’s argument. So they set a trial date and see what happens when jurors are questioned.

I think that's particularly true in San Francisco. There are many reasons - but ultimately, making the decisions later has saved millions of dollars for various counties.

I doubt the FL lawyers know this - nor could they understand the overarching trend (esp in SF). Since two sets of lawyers have admitted the Momeni did in fact use a knife and did have the knife in his own possession and that he did know that he injured someone - the guy needs to throw himself on the mercy of the court and do a plea bargain! He's well situated for one.

He's not going to get off free, if that's what he's thinking. IMO.

Okay, so Cohen and Zangeneh are not licensed to practice law in California, IMO.

They are alleging that the Public Defender that Momeni first had was unprofessional and political. And they are alleging that Horngrad was "hostile" for suggesting a plea bargain. He IS licensed in California - but apparently, the FL lawyers want him off the case.

This is part of their change of venue motion. Which they apparently filed with Horngrad's California bar number.

So, well, this is a recipe for Momeni staying in jail a few months longer than he may have anticipated before his trial comes in front of a jury - and they want it OUT of the Bay Area (the most liberal part of California, in the opinion of many).

Now, it'll be interesting to see who in the world will be their California license-bearing attorney - I suppose they'll want one in the new jurisdiction. I do wonder if SF will just want to get rid of this case.

Fascinating. This is how I interpret the article posted just above.
Agreed. That's how I interrupted it as well.

DUI Case Against Khazar Momeni Not Moving Forward Due to Delay in Drug Test Result

Due to a delay in drug test results, the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office is not moving forward with a DUI case against Khazar Momeni, the sister of the man who allegedly killed tech executive Bob Lee.

She was scheduled to appear in court Tuesday, but the district attorney announced Monday that her office plans to discharge the case.

“As is customary in DUI cases, our office reviews the toxicology report to inform our prosecution decisions. To date, the District Attorney’s Office has not received the toxicology report from the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner and has not received an estimate as to when it will be presented to our office,” District Attorney Spokesperson Randy Quezada said in a statement.

While the case was discharged, the DA can file charges later, as the case and investigation remain open, added Quezada. Because the case was not dismissed completely, it can still be filed at a later date pending results from the investigation.

@MelanieWoodrow

Bob Lee’s ex-wife believes a fair trial can be held in San Francisco. Nima Momeni’s defense is calling the Cash App founder a celebrity & says the trial should be moved. Judge was prepared to rule on the motion at 2pm but then the defense asked for more time until late February

Nima Momeni’s own defense team admits a change of venue is hard to come by. We’re back in court at 2pm today to see whether the Bob Lee murder case could be moved from San Francisco.

Nima Momeni’s mother arriving at court. Hearing today in Bob Lee murder case. Momeni’s attorneys will ask for a change of venue.
https://twitter.com/MelanieWoodrow/status/1750563642964348989/photo/1

1706311613211.png

Both sides’ arguments were meant to be heard Thursday before San Francisco Superior Court Judge Eric Fleming. However, his ruling was postponed to Feb. 22, when Momeni’s attorneys plan to file additional material in their motion to have his case heard out of the county.

Published Jan. 25, 2024 • 5:16pm

SF DA says Bob Lee's alleged killer can get fair trial in SF.

A San Francisco judge was supposed to hear arguments Thursday about whether or not accused Bob Lee killer Nima Momeni can get a fair trial in San Francisco, or whether the trial should be moved to another county.

A San Francisco judge was supposed to hear arguments Thursday about whether or not accused Bob Lee killer Nima Momeni can get a fair trial in San Francisco, or whether the trial should be moved to another county. But that didn't happen.

Judge Fleming agreed to a continuance on the matter until February 22.

I only learnt about this case yesterday so I'm out of the loop. What is going on right now?

The way he's wearing his mask bugs me almost as much as the repeated "candid" shots of him in his jail cell. Who is taking and releasing photos from inside jail??

I only learnt about this case yesterday so I'm out of the loop. What is going on right now?

There's a motion to change venues, out of San Francisco. Judge postponed his decision until Feb. 22.

I have no clue what's going on in terms of who, exactly, is currently representing Momeni.

Nima Momeni’s mom & attorneys arriving at court. We were expecting arguments for a change of venue in the Bob Lee murder trial today but I’m told will be put over. Lee’s ex-wife told me yesterday his friends & family weren’t planning to attend today after speaking w/ prosecutor

1708628359770.png

A hearing on whether to move Nima Momeni’s murder trial out of San Francisco was delayed again today, as was Momeni’s scheduled trial date for his alleged killing of Cash App founder Bob Lee in April 2023.

Momeni’s defense attorneys also requested more access to the phone found on Momeni’s person, as well as the phone discovered in Lee’s hotel room after he was stabbed to death. Currently, the defense attorneys said, they only have access to a download of two weeks worth of information from what is presumably Momeni’s phone, and nothing at all from Lee’s.

Bob Lee killing: Defense wants access to stabbing victim’s phone, hearings delayed

FEBRUARY 22, 2024

A hearing about how much data from the two phones will be released is scheduled for March 5.

Momeni’s murder trial date will be rescheduled for a future date.

Did they set a new date for the change of venue hearing that was supposed to be today? The links in your post don't work for me. Thanks for the update!
No new date for change of venue hearing was reset to the best of my knowledge. Still checking and will post if I come across anything. Looks like next hearing is March 5th, for data info.

Btw, the initial post, is showing reporter's name, to give credit to who posted the info, date and time of when posted to X. I wasn’t aware that this info may not be seen by some posters. Thank you for letting me know. :)

No new date for change of venue hearing was reset to the best of my knowledge. Still checking and will post if I come across anything. Looks like next hearing is March 5th, for data info.

Btw, the initial post, is showing reporter's name, to give credit to who posted the info, date and time of when posted to X. I wasn’t aware that this info may not be seen by some posters. Thank you for letting me know. :)
Thanks, as always, for the updates!

My heartfelt condolences to his family and the entire tech community. My thoughts are with his loved ones and the entire tech community during this difficult time. May his legacy inspire future innovators.

I'm devastated to hear about Bob Lee's passing. His work at Cash App and Square transformed the tech landscape. He contributed a lot to games you can win real money. My heartfelt condolences to his family and the entire tech community. My thoughts are with his loved ones and the entire tech community during this difficult time. May his legacy inspire future innovators.

Statement from
@SFDAOffice re: Khazar Momeni’s arraignment. DA’s office confirms she had nitrous oxide, cocaine & fentanyl in her system during Nov. hit & run. Prosecutors in Bob Lee murder case have said she was @ the center of a fight her brother Nima had w/ Lee night of murder

Attachments

• IMG_1648.jpeg
    IMG_1648.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics