Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000 #2

Nice work on the opening line ;) My thoughts on your points in order:

1) "but the usual..." -- Nothing about this case is the usual.

2) This point has been raised many times. When I am in Japan, I eat Japanese food.

Lets use another analogy....

I do speak a second language (Spanish, though I am not fully bilingual like you are). I lived briefly in Spain decades ago. And...I ate Spanish food as there was no US base. I have pretty travelled extensively in Mexico and volunteered with both a Spanish trained Mexican priest and a Spanish lay volunteer (nice girl). At times, I watch Spanish and Mexican programming on You Tube.

All of the above gives me some knowledge of Mexican life and a far lesser degree of knowledge about Spanish life. That view lacks nuances and depth.

But.....

I grew up on US military bases and have continued to visit them as an adult. I know US servicemen and their dependents. Members of my immediate family are in the military. My knowledge of that life is rather deep because I have lived that life.

You, having lived a Spanish life, were able to determine that a text was not made by a Spaniard and other components of the text made in Spanish seemed off for a native speaker.

I cannot emphatically say that the crime was not committed by a Serviceman or family member. Its possible that it was. But... the "tone" of the circumstances is just, well, off (like the text).

In support of your points....

Some US servicemen truly learn the local language. A brother of mine was selected to attend an all German school. He was fluent in German and comfortable in "off the beaten path areas" off the base. We also knew an (singular) American family that lived a German life off base with the kids fully fluent in German and preferring German toys. A probably Asian American, as opposed to American Asian, service man or family could do the same.

But... there is a far larger number of American Service men and their families who do none of the above. In the end, the tone is just off.

Last edited:

I do speak a second language (Spanish, though I am not fully bilingual like you are). I lived briefly in Spain decades ago. And...I ate Spanish food as there was no US base. I have pretty travelled extensively in Mexico and volunteered with both a Spanish trained Mexican priest and a Spanish lay volunteer (nice girl). At times, I watch Spanish and Mexican programming on You Tube.

All of the above gives me some knowledge of Mexican life and a far lesser degree of knowledge about Spanish life. That view lacks nuances and depth.

But.....

I grew up on US military bases and have continued to visit them as an adult. I know US servicemen and their dependents. Members of my immediate family are in the military. My knowledge of that life is rather deep because I have lived that life.

You, having lived a Spanish life, were able to determine that a text was not made by a Spaniard and other components of the text made in Spanish seemed off for a native speaker.

I cannot emphatically say that the crime was not committed by a Serviceman or family member. Its possible that it was. But... the "tone" of the circumstances is just, well, off (like the text).

Some US servicemen truly learn the local language. A brother of mine was selected to attend an all German school. He was fluent in German and comfortable in "off the beaten path areas" off the base. We also knew an (singular) American family that lived a German life off base with the kids fully fluent in German and preferring German toys. A probably Asian American, as opposed to American Asian, service man or family could do the same.

But... there is a far larger number of American Service men and their families who do none of the above. In the end, the tone is just off.
Apologies, I didn't mean YOU you don't speak another language, I mean one, in general, might not speak a second language but that doesn't mean our killer didn't. And of course, the person I'm looking at did.

I agree with you that the tone might well be off but then that's just my point. None of this makes sense because it's not meant to. But in the end, there are concrete things pointing to the US military bases that cannot be discounted. Either theoretically, or in concrete, such as speaking with the Chief. Though, honestly, I'm not sure why the tone is off at all. "NCIS CASE FILES REVEAL UNDISCLOSED MILITARY SEX CRIMES IN OKINAWA: The naval agency investigated at least eight sexual offenses between 2017 and 2019. None of them were reported to Congress or the public."
NCIS Case Files Reveal Undisclosed U.S. Military Sex Crimes in Okinawa

Obviously, there is no sexual component (it seems) in the Miyazawa case. But it's servicemen committing serious crimes in Japan. Just because the vast majority don't, doesn't mean one could not.

The sand both from Edwards and from Miura seems like extremely strong concrete evidence that there is a US military link, yet for whatever reason TMPD doesn't seem interested in pursuing that line of inquiry, and besides the DNA (which for legal reasons can't be matched), it seems to be the only line of inquiry not fully explored. Not sure if related, but there were actually protests against US military presence in Japan in the late 90s after several servicemen assaulted a teenage girl.

If we do base things on likelihood, that sand is factually there. It'd be a massive coincidence for someone not connected to the military to have sand from both areas.

I think it's also important to differentiate between a soldier and the teenage child of someone working for the military. If we're going off generalized assumptions/speculation, I would say that while this case doesn't fit the profile of servicemen who kill, it does fit a teenager.

I've worked with teen offenders (including for homicide) before. The crime is both paradoxically reasonably well-planned and at the same time extremely sloppy. There's a seemingly extreme rage-based violence for someone you don't actually have a direct personal connection with that's probably a proxy for something else. The shocking lack of empathy in straightaway murdering a sleeping child, and the ability to then stay out of trouble suggesting the person may not have fully understood consequences nor what the ramifications were, but now does on some level, etc. However, admittedly, this can't be said for certain because having such a mindset can be caused by a number of factors.
I agree with everything here. As I understand it, if the culprit is arrested in Japan, then there is some negotiation with the US military and the Japanese prosecutor. If he returns to base and then the Japanese prosecutor requests the military give him up, it's almost always denied. Essentially, because under Japanese law, such a suspect would not be afforded the same legal rights as back home. I'm oversimplifying but this is in a nut shell the deal.

I can only speculate why there is a reticence on the part of the TMPD (JMO) to go down this investigative avenue. I've said before in my lengthy interviews with those connected to the case, this was the one topic that was dodged. But speculation? The Special Relationship. This is Japan's biggest cold case essentially. If it turns out that it leads back to the US, that's bad news for authorities on both sides of the equation. Of course, I could be way off. But it's hard to think beyond this given the current elements.

So many excellent points raised.
I am a little guilty of trying to see this from the perspective of a resident and the typical behaviours of someone who lives their life here in Tokyo. And none of it is really making sense.
Like others I’ve spoken to and most people here, for many factors it does make the most sense that the killer was not Japanese or a local but indeed someone or related to someone in the US military…

Just out of curiosity, would anyone be interested in seeing some photos of the surroundings to get more of a feel for how the killer may have escaped, roads he’d need to use to do it, etc? All available on something like Google Earth but in the interest of raising more talking points and for my own curiosity I’d like to go back and study the area a bit more.
Absolutely. I did this myself years ago (and took a few photos) but it would be great to see new ones.

Other than little Rei, all three of the other victims were attacked in the face/head. If the first weapon hadn't broken in Mikio's skull, I suspect his wounds would have been much worse, and possibly much more similar to Yasuko and Niina's.

It has been somewhat assumed the killer may have hated women, because their wounds were much more severe. But if Mikio's wounds would have been similar if the knife hadn't broken, that can be largely ruled out. He was obliterating the family unit as a whole. So what's left? IMO, what's left is the question of why Rei wasn't also mutilated. Aside from wanting to kill Rei quickly and quietly, perhaps the killer (as a boy himself) felt an affinity for Rei that he didn't feel for anyone else.

My understanding is that attacking the face is usually a very personal thing. If the killer didn't know the Miyazawa's personally, there must have been *something* about them that reminded the killer of the real target of his fury.

Other than little Rei, all three of the other victims were attacked in the face/head. If the first weapon hadn't broken in Mikio's skull, I suspect his wounds would have been much worse, and possibly much more similar to Yasuko and Niina's.

It has been somewhat assumed the killer may have hated women, because their wounds were much more severe. But if Mikio's wounds would have been similar if the knife hadn't broken, that can be largely ruled out. He was obliterating the family unit as a whole. So what's left? IMO, what's left is the question of why Rei wasn't also mutilated. Aside from wanting to kill Rei quickly and quietly, perhaps the killer (as a boy himself) felt an affinity for Rei that he didn't feel for anyone else.

My understanding is that attacking the face is usually a very personal thing. If the killer didn't know the Miyazawa's personally, there must have been *something* about them that reminded the killer of the real target of his fury.
The idea that Rei was seen differently to the rest of the family is been oft-suggested. And of course, it's a definite possibility. Though, as you say, it could also be he was simply first. And, if there was some of affinity with him, not enough to refrain from strangling the little boy in his sleep. It's possible, and likely, the killer wanted to conserve the element of surprise for as long as possible. I am not sure how solid the idea is that he hated women less or more than men based on the idea that Yasuko received the most blows. They are all dead. Also, the killer did pull out draws from a unit and simply let them fall on Mikio's body. He was walking over him and in and out of Rei's room for hours. Clearly, he had no compunction in destroying them all. As you say, I think he came for them as a whole, as a unit.

Your last point, that there was something about them that he chose; I feel that too. It could be something concrete or tangible. Or it could be as simple as the way Ted Bundy would like the colour of a girl's hair.

So many excellent points raised.
I am a little guilty of trying to see this from the perspective of a resident and the typical behaviours of someone who lives their life here in Tokyo. And none of it is really making sense.
Like others I’ve spoken to and most people here, for many factors it does make the most sense that the killer was not Japanese or a local but indeed someone or related to someone in the US military…

Just out of curiosity, would anyone be interested in seeing some photos of the surroundings to get more of a feel for how the killer may have escaped, roads he’d need to use to do it, etc? All available on something like Google Earth but in the interest of raising more talking points and for my own curiosity I’d like to go back and study the area a bit more.
Yes! I would love, LOVE to see more photos from you! Especially because I fear the house will be destroyed sooner rather than later. Memorialize the whole area!

Why the Miyazawas? Lacking a known motive, I find myself thinking about them as a family. Looking at their photos. The only thing that stands out to me seems so general I hate to even bring it up, yet it’s something that comes to mind every time I think about them.

They just seem so typical of many, many families, in Japan and elsewhere. A typical happy, sort of “perfect” family. Even the makeup: One boy and one girl. A typical, seemingly contented, middle class family, smiling in photos and most likely anywhere out in public as well.

Maybe the thing the makes the choice of victims seem so unlikely is the very thing that made them a target: Their “perfectness”. Their being representative of a certain profile of social success and happiness, etc.

I don’t know. Again, it’s just something that comes to mind when I see their photos.

I think the comparative remoteness of the Miyazawa home most likely a played a role in this, assuming it wasn't a personal, targeted attack. The killer was less likely to be seen than in a more heavily-trafficked area.

But that still doesn't explain the brutality or the subsequent desecration of the home and belongings. Killing, searching, stealing, tending to a wounded hand. It all could have been done without so much "overkill". Something was driving the killer. I would have said drugs, if only the tests hadn't shown there weren't any drugs in the killer's samples; unless it was a drug that wasn't tested for, which isn't totally impossible.

I think the comparative remoteness of the Miyazawa home most likely a played a role in this, assuming it wasn't a personal, targeted attack. The killer was less likely to be seen than in a more heavily-trafficked area.

But that still doesn't explain the brutality or the subsequent desecration of the home and belongings. Killing, searching, stealing, tending to a wounded hand. It all could have been done without so much "overkill". Something was driving the killer. I would have said drugs, if only the tests hadn't shown there weren't any drugs in the killer's samples; unless it was a drug that wasn't tested for, which isn't totally impossible.
The thing is, the Miyazawa house is considered remote for Tokyo. The house is actually surrounded by other houses, recreational areas, and apartment blocks. For someone used to Tokyo it is considered residential and somewhat remote. But the reality is the neighbourhood is brimming with houses and apartments all chock-a-block next to one another. The Miyazawa house now stands alone in the middle of a park and looks very out of place since the demolition of the immediate surrounding it houses. But it can most definitely be seen by people living around it fairly easily. For someone from small town America or a village in England the location would not be considered remote in the slightest.

Absolutely. I did this myself years ago (and took a few photos) but it would be great to see new ones.
Yes! I would love, LOVE to see more photos from you! Especially because I fear the house will be destroyed sooner rather than later. Memorialize the whole area!
Thank you for the enthusiasm! I am hoping to visit again in this weekend if I can and will photograph the immediate surroundings, park, and roads leading away and to the house. And of course the house itself.
Please do chime in if there is something in particular you would like to see and I’ll do my best.

But.....

I see why the base has been considered.

But, were there no sand from the area close to Edwards base, would they have considered the possibility of a US serviceman's family member at all? What is left if we phase out the sand?

Because the sand is, to a degree, phaseable, by the fact that another, local, type of sand was found in the perp's pockets. He might have some sensory attraction to sand. If so, one can get different sands in different places.

Besides that sand, what else stays?

I am always thinking that we know very little about Mr. Miyazawa himself.

Well, besides the sand there is the fact that he seemingly disappeared afterward. There are so many things that just fit, which is why, as I noted above, lots of people think the answer lies inside Yakota.
It would explain quite a few things, as discussed much up thread.

The thing is, the Miyazawa house is considered remote for Tokyo. The house is actually surrounded by other houses, recreational areas, and apartment blocks. For someone used to Tokyo it is considered residential and somewhat remote. But the reality is the neighbourhood is brimming with houses and apartments all chock-a-block next to one another. The Miyazawa house now stands alone in the middle of a park and looks very out of place since the demolition of the immediate surrounding it houses. But it can most definitely be seen by people living around it fairly easily. For someone from small town America or a village in England the location would not be considered remote in the slightest.

I live in a fairly small town in the UK, and I respectfully disagree. Perhaps "remote" is the wrong word, but the home is in an area that would be considered quite secluded even in the UK. The home has a river to one side, a park on another side, is surrounded by trees, and even 24 years ago when the nearby homes hadn't yet been demolished, my understanding is that many (most?) of the homes were already empty.

This is the earliest Google map image of the house from 2009. I would call this a quiet, and quite secluded home. Not just by Tokyo standards, but also by my own UK standards:

m2.jpg

I see why the base has been considered.

But, were there no sand from the area close to Edwards base, would they have considered the possibility of a US serviceman's family member at all? What is left if we phase out the sand?

Because the sand is, to a degree, phaseable, by the fact that another, local, type of sand was found in the perp's pockets. He might have some sensory attraction to sand. If so, one can get different sands in different places.

Besides that sand, what else stays?

I am always thinking that we know very little about Mr. Miyazawa himself.
Do we know the quantities of sand involved?

@Charlot123 has speculated about sensory issues. Which seems reasonable if there were a larger quantity of sand -- perhaps multiple spoonfuls' worth.

I've wondered about inadvertent transfer of sand as an item was set on the sand and then later put back into the bag -- a book, sunglasses, etc. This makes sense to me if the sand was only found in smaller amounts, like maybe 1/4 teaspoon worth or less.

Do we know the volumes so that we can focus on the more probable scenarios?

MOO

I live in a fairly small town in the UK, and I respectfully disagree. Perhaps "remote" is the wrong word, but the home is in an area that would be considered quite secluded even in the UK. The home has a river to one side, a park on another side, is surrounded by trees, and even 24 years ago when the nearby homes hadn't yet been demolished, my understanding is that many (most?) of the homes were already empty.

This is the earliest Google map image of the house from 2009. I would call this a quiet, and quite secluded home. Not just by Tokyo standards, but also by my own UK standards:

View attachment 487251

The reason I say so is because I actually live in the neighbourhood close by so I know what it is like there firsthand. The angle of that picture makes it seem like the house is positioned somewhere that is completely isolated but that is not the case so much. For example, to the right of the back of the house there is a very large apartment block and across the river there are several houses all looking down upon the Miyazawa house.
As I mentioned in my previous post, I will be visiting the area again soon to take more pictures and hopefully give users here a better understanding of the area for talking points related to the escape route and curiosity.

The reason I say so is because I actually live in the neighbourhood close by so I know what it is like there firsthand. The angle of that picture makes it seem like the house is positioned somewhere that is completely isolated but that is not the case so much. For example, to the right of the back of the house there is a very large apartment block and across the river there are several houses all looking down upon the Miyazawa house.
As I mentioned in my previous post, I will be visiting the area again soon to take more pictures and hopefully give users here a better understanding of the area for talking points related to the escape route and curiosity.

I do appreciate your local knowledge and I'm grateful that you're willing to share your time and pictures.

My issue was with what you said about things being different in the UK. Many homes in the UK sit alone, nestled beside parks, rivers, apartment blocks, etc. in the same way the Miyazawa home does. In the UK those homes are much more likely to be burgled or vandalized because of their quiet location.

If the killer of the Miyazawa family didn't know them personally, I think the location had to be important. On a cold, dark winter night close to New Year, I think a home like theirs would be an obvious target for someone who didn't want to be noticed--and we know it worked, because the killer was able to arrive and leave pretty much unseen.

Google Maps has clear 3D images of the entire area around the Miyazawa house, including the homes across the river and the apartment block to the rear that you mentioned. :

M3.jpgM4.jpg

I do appreciate your local knowledge and I'm grateful that you're willing to share your time and pictures.

My issue was with what you said about things being different in the UK. Many homes in the UK sit alone, nestled beside parks, rivers, apartment blocks, etc. in the same way the Miyazawa home does. In the UK those homes are much more likely to be burgled or vandalized because of their quiet location.

If the killer of the Miyazawa family didn't know them personally, I think the location had to be important. On a cold, dark winter night close to New Year, I think a home like theirs would be an obvious target for someone who didn't want to be noticed--and we know it worked, because the killer was able to arrive and leave pretty much unseen.

Google Maps has clear 3D images of the entire area around the Miyazawa house, including the homes across the river and the apartment block to the rear that you mentioned. :

View attachment 487367View attachment 487368
I am also from a small village in England originally of 2000 people and that is why I made the comparison.
When in the Kamisoshigaya neighbourhood it does not feel or look totally remote, and is in fact fairly noisy with its surroundings of parks, recreational areas, and roadside. But it is definitely residential by Tokyo standards.

If you go back to my original reply to you, I mentioned that the house does indeed stand alone but that it is not completely isolated. You can see from the images you gave that the surrounding neighbourhood has houses squeezed in, and like I also mentioned the house can be seen from its surroundings. If you lived in the apartment block you’d even be able to directly see the back of the house and its windows.

We know the killer was able to enter and exit unseen, but IMO he could have been seen or noticed without much trouble. And if he escaped in any other way besides car, he was going past a lot of houses and apartments mere seconds after escaping.

And to your point of it being chosen due to its location and less risk of being seen - it can’t be denied it may have been a factor, but there were 3 people literally on the other side of the attached house. It just so happened that even though all 3 of them reported hearing banging noises they did not investigate or call the police at that time.
Did the killer know that and just not care? In which case can we really say location was the main factor here? It is clear from the house that it has two sides to it and I don’t think it was the first time the killer saw the house and just didn’t realise another 3 people were on the other side of it. I think he went in there with intent, not just because it was somewhat isolated.

The Google Earth images make it seem like the surrounding dwellings are far enough away that it takes a minute to get to the house when in fact it actually takes seconds. They really are not that far away.

But anyway, I do appreciate all your comments! After all we are all here to discuss our theories.

I hope to come back soon with some pictures for those that want to see them!

Last edited:
Well, besides the sand there is the fact that he seemingly disappeared afterward. There are so many things that just fit, which is why, as I noted above, lots of people think the answer lies inside Yakota.
It would explain quite a few things, as discussed much up thread.
Disappeared means... disappeared. It is interesting how many versions the Japanese police has considered, btw. One thing that bothers me is they viewed it as a non-Japanese type of crime. But only if we assume that the killer attacked the whole family.

Change some elements of it, and it will be way more acceptable. I was surprised to find out how many questions were asked in other countries about the intra-family relationships just looking at the couple's faces and facial expressions. But, Japan is the country where privacy is protected. I have a feeling that had we known a tad more about the family, or their habits, we could have considered so many other versions.

This way, I see that both DNA testing (that would have told a lot today) and the family life fall under the category of privacy. And that leaves everyone slightly blinded.

Think of this. Mr. Miyazawa was considered introverted at work. Definitely likable by everyone and gifted, and helpful, but talking only about his family. That - if you consider that it was his quirk - might have provided someone with a lot of information. What if he did it everywhere, at work, at places he went to, maybe in the theater he used to help? But, we don't know his habits so some circles of people he could have been routinely exposed to are obscured.

Just a thought.

Do we know the quantities of sand involved?

@Charlot123 has speculated about sensory issues. Which seems reasonable if there were a larger quantity of sand -- perhaps multiple spoonfuls' worth.

I've wondered about inadvertent transfer of sand as an item was set on the sand and then later put back into the bag -- a book, sunglasses, etc. This makes sense to me if the sand was only found in smaller amounts, like maybe 1/4 teaspoon worth or less.

Do we know the volumes so that we can focus on the more probable scenarios?

MOO

I have to look through Japanese wikipedia about the murders again. If I remember correctly, it was a tiny amount of local beach sand in the pockets, and a very small amount in the bag, so, not a lot, but need to took through their incredibly detailed article again.

I am also from a small village in England originally of 2000 people and that is why I made the comparison.
When in the Kamisoshigaya neighbourhood it does not feel or look totally remote, and is in fact fairly noisy with its surroundings of parks, recreational areas, and roadside. But it is definitely residential by Tokyo standards.

If you go back to my original reply to you, I mentioned that the house does indeed stand alone but that it is not completely isolated. You can see from the images you gave that the surrounding neighbourhood has houses squeezed in, and like I also mentioned the house can be seen from its surroundings. If you lived in the apartment block you’d even be able to directly see the back of the house and its windows.

We know the killer was able to enter and exit unseen, but IMO he could have been seen or noticed without much trouble. And if he escaped in any other way besides car, he was going past a lot of houses and apartments mere seconds after escaping.

And to your point of it being chosen due to its location and less risk of being seen - it can’t be denied it may have been a factor, but there were 3 people literally on the other side of the attached house. It just so happened that even though all 3 of them reported hearing banging noises they did not investigate or call the police at that time.
Did the killer know that and just not care? In which case can we really say location was the main factor here? It is clear from the house that it has two sides to it and I don’t think it was the first time the killer saw the house and just didn’t realise another 3 people were on the other side of it. I think he went in there with intent, not just because it was somewhat isolated.

The Google Earth images make it seem like the surrounding dwellings are far enough away that it takes a minute to get to the house when in fact it actually takes seconds. They really are not that far away.

But anyway, I do appreciate all your comments! After all we are all here to discuss our theories.

I hope to come back soon with some pictures for those that want to see them!

In that case we've possibly had different experiences in the UK. I don't exactly live in Midsomer where there's a grisly murder every week, but there have been a number of unpleasant local crimes which weren't seen or heard as they were happening, despite happening in the middle of residential areas with homes fairly close by. One was a stabbing murder on a playing field surrounded by houses, and another was the rape and murder of a woman in her house as her daughter slept unaware in another bedroom. You'd think someone would have seen or heard something, but nobody did. The stabbing in the park is unsolved 45 years later, and the rapist killer was only caught because he turned himself in.

The setting of the Miyazawa home, surrounded by trees and fields, is very familiar to me. Even if it's only a few hundred yards away from other surrounding buildings, that could easily be enough to make a crime go unnoticed. Where I live is very quiet, and you'd think any commotion would be heard, yet it wasn't. If the area around the Miyazawa home is quite noisy, as you say, that would have made it even easier for the killer to go unnoticed, IMO.

As I understand it, a crime like this is exceptionally rare in Japan. If all that was heard was some banging, even if it was unusual, would that result in the police being called in a country where crimes such as this are virtually unthinkable? In the Miyazawa case, their family members next door seemingly thought nothing of it.

I believe there were four remaining houses in the Soshigaya Park area at the time of the murders. There are now two or three remaining, so the area doesn't seem to have changed massively. I think Nic has said the murders put a halt to a lot of the planned redevelopment. If the killing wasn't targeted for personal reasons against the Miyazawas, then those houses, standing conspicuously alone in the middle of the park, seem too striking to just be a coincidence. Whoever killed the family would, at the very least, have needed to be familiar enough with the area to know those houses were there. Which I'm guessing not everyone would know.

Something else I wonder about is the street lighting in 2000. At that time street lights in most countries, and I imagine in Japan, would have been fairly dim sodium-vapour lights. I'd guess that Japan, like most countries, now uses much brighter LED street lights. So what can be seen on a dark winter night now, in 2024, is probably quite different to what could be seen in 2000. It may not have been difficult at all to skulk around a dimly-lit side street. And once back on the main roads the killer would probably blend away.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592
Back