4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #92

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't like the sounds of where this thing is headed-----making it seem like this defense team HOPES to outlaw IGG being used in murder cases in the future.

Do we really want that for our futures? Do we want to nullify one of the most efficient and successful ways to catch killers in cold cases from now on?

We wouldn't want the Golden State Killer to be arrested? Or any of the dozens of other serial killers that were identified through IGG?

Is it better for our future world if we outlaw the ability to identify killers/rapists from the killer's family tree data?

Does that killer have the 'right to privacy' to prevent us from identifying him through the sperm he left behind?
That's never going to happen, MOO. Are they going to ban LE getting cell phone records, too? Those contain personal information. Through those records, associations are revealed, friendships, plenty of personal information. Is that going to be banned? No way. Same idea here. Genetic genealogy is going to stay fair game. People become part of that database voluntarily. MOO, nobody's going to ban genetic genealogy testing "in principle" so BK can walk away from a quadruple homicide.

Sorry, don't agree. I am absolutely disgusted by trials being pushed out, 4, 5, 10 years or more. There is zero excuse for those types of delays. And whatever excuse there is, should be fixed.

Eliminate the DP, if that is the problem. Anyone hardly gets put to death anyway, with the lengthy appeal process.
Hi Mickey. Are there no limits in the US on how far they can push out trials?

Hi Mickey. Are there no limits in the US on how far they can push out trials?

Accused are supposed to have right to a trial within a reasonable period. They can waive that right if they choose. We have a DP case on WS, that the accused has made delay after delay, why not? He has nothing to look forward to, but death row.

Accused are supposed to have right to a trial within a reasonable period. They can waive that right if they choose. We have a DP case on WS, that the accused has made delay after delay, why not? He has nothing to look forward to, but death row.

There's no downside whatsoever for the defense to push the delay, stall, delay tactic for as long as possible---Some defendants do it for years ( I believe we have a case here: Seminelli-sp)---- look at the one who shall go un-named: Our court system is so easily exploited I am surprised more defendants don't do it. Judges bend over backwards to insure the accused's rights ---so this won't bite them later on appeal. But while bending over backwards for the accused, the dead victim is often forgotten by the public and the families agonize as years go by while the defendant files motion after frivolous motion to insure a delay of years. IMO it is disgusting.

JUSTICE RUSHED?

@mickey2942
Not sure what part of my post you're disagreeing w.
I too am disgusted when trials are "pushed out" 4, 5, 10 yrs.

But in THIS case,
Mid-Nov. 2022......deaths.
Late Dec 2022.......arrest.
Early Mar. 2024..... estimated trial in mid 2025.
If trial starts in mid 2025, that's 2 1/2 yrs est'ed ATM, not 4, 5, or 10.

And it's a DP case. And there's a HELL of a lotta discovery.
IDK the point at which def. team's request(s) for time is a bogus excuse, rather than a legit reason. Nor do I have a suggestion for fixing the prob. Maybe someone else here can offer suggestions for fixing in this case. Anyone?

This may not seem "rushed" to all victims' families, but if trial ct denies def's motions for time, an appellate court reviewing conviction may determine that def't did not get fair trial, for lack of time for def atty/ies to prepare def. case. And then reverse and remand for retrial?

If faced w choice btwn possibility of a 2025 trial or possibility of appellate court overturning a conviction, seems families would prefer 2025 (or possibly later) trial. ICBW
Agree completely. I'm not sure how many high-profile multiple murder DP cases in the US these days go to trial faster than 2 1/2 years after the crime. I'm betting very few. But the families likely don't care what's usual. I get that. And the families may honestly think that they'll have "closure" after the trial. (Personally I doubt they will.) And I suspect many of the family members are underestimating how difficult the actual trial will be (given some of the statements some of them have made.) While I wouldn't expect to see harsh attacks on the victims, I wouldn't expect them to be treated with "kid gloves" either during a DP trial. Truthfully, though they may not know it, some delays now may make the eventual trial easier to handle for some family members.
MOO

IMO, it's foreseeable that some parties which would have otherwise been afforded the opportunity to offer victim impact statements presently, will ultimately prove unable to do so when/if ever this accused's guilt is established. Death, distance, physical or mental infirmity - just a few examples - could intervene in the months or years ahead.

Were I a victim, yesterday would not have been soon enough to memorialize my individual sworn impact statement via a recorded affidavit. The County Registrar could thereupon send a copies/notices of said titled recordation to every pertinent prosecutor's office in the State for contingent use.
NB. We're not speaking here about sum and/or substance, which is retained under seal at the Registry. Solely the act of its recordation.

Last edited:
AT playing it all. Delaying to last minut to relinquish speedy trial reset everything back basically to zero. So she gained about 8 months of prep free.
MOO don't believe anything she says about her not having time to review evidence, MOO she did review and strategized that delay is the best option after getting the evidence suppressed.

AT playing it all. Delaying to last minut to relinquish speedy trial reset everything back basically to zero. So she gained about 8 months of prep free.
MOO don't believe anything she says about her not having time to review evidence, MOO she did review and strategized that delay is the best option after getting the evidence suppressed.
After this trial is over and before appeals begin and a final cost for the trial has been calculated, I sense there could be a backlash against AT by the Idaho taxpayers. Who would have the authority to remove her from her position, if possible?

After this trial is over and before appeals begin and a final cost for the trial has been calculated, I sense there could be a backlash against AT by the Idaho taxpayers. Who would have the authority to remove her from her position, if possible?

She's fine it's up to the judge to run his court room.

Up to the judge

Mar 1, NewsNation, A. Banfield talked w victim's Father Steve G. From transcript on youtube.

At 2:33, AB said
“AS YOU GET DEEP INTO
THIS PROCESS, ESPECIALLY IN A
DEATH PENALTY CASE IS
EVENTUALLY PROSECUTORS.
CONSIDER TALKING TO FAMILIES”
about a deal, possibly taking DP off the table.

At 3:40, Steve G said:
“>> BECAUSE THEY KNOW I'M NOT
GOING TO LISTEN TO THAT. I'M
NOT HERE COMPROMISE ON MY
DAUGHTER'S NAME. WE ARE GOING
TO GO FOR THE ULTIMATE LEVEL
OF. ACCOUNTABILITY. “

Does ^ I’m no going to listen to that ^ and ^not comprising daughter’s name^
convey that SG think he controls the DP issue, whether the DP will be pursued or dropped?
Or just wishful thinking? Or?
====================================
I think SG has some key misconceptions about his influence on how the trial is handled. No prosecutor worth his/her salt is going to intentionally alienate the victims' family on a case like this, and Mr. Thompson certainly doesn't seem like that type, but SG seems to have gone out of his way to become an adversary of the team that is going to try and get justice for their murdered children. I don't understand how he thinks that is going to make things better. SG is not a lawyer and is not qualified to make some of the decisions he's trying to take on.

I really don't like the sounds of where this thing is headed-----making it seem like this defense team HOPES to outlaw IGG being used in murder cases in the future.

Do we really want that for our futures? Do we want to nullify one of the most efficient and successful ways to catch killers in cold cases from now on?

We wouldn't want the Golden State Killer to be arrested? Or any of the dozens of other serial killers that were identified through IGG?

Is it better for our future world if we outlaw the ability to identify killers/rapists from the killer's family tree data?

Does that killer have the 'right to privacy' to prevent us from identifying him through the sperm he left behind?
This is the point they made on The Prosecutors podcast. If they want to tighten regulations, then fine. To outlaw it completely would be a huge loss, not only for identifying killers but for identifying missing persons and their remains.

I think SG has some key misconceptions about his influence on how the trial is handled. No prosecutor worth his/her salt is going to intentionally alienate the victims' family on a case like this, and Mr. Thompson certainly doesn't seem like that type, but SG seems to have gone out of his way to become an adversary of the team that is going to try and get justice for their murdered children. I don't understand how he thinks that is going to make things better. SG is not a lawyer and is not qualified to make some of the decisions he's trying to take on.
I agree. I feel sympathy for the suffering of the families. But I also think sometimes family members believe the only reason we have criminal trials is to get justice for victims and their families. And that's not true. The purpose in prosecuting criminals is also to benefit society as a whole and to help maintain an orderly society.

Sometimes family members give the impression they think prosecutors work for them. If they think trials are only for their own benefit because of their relationship to the victims, I guess that thinking isn't surprising. But as a result, those family members seem to think decisions, strategies, motions, timelines and so on related to the trial are up to the family members. And if that's what is going on, things are not going to improve once the trial starts-- and could get much worse.
MOO

Edit-Apologizing now for rambling!
Regarding BF (which was not in any of the documents that I recall and I’ve read and re-read them many times) seeing a naked man (underwear only?) running outside her window…First, the visual of BK running nearly naked from the victims house plays like an episode from “Jackass” in my mind. Not being disrespectful to the victims. Sorry. Couldn’t resist!
Secondly, IMO, would a perp undress right outside of the victims’ home? I would think that may call a little attention to him-it’s a college town…there will be some traffic, foot or vehicle.
Thinking out loud here. Let’s say BK was wearing coveralls. To undress outside would mean he didn’t want to leave a trail. I’m coming to this-they found more than a “latent print”. I can’t fathom, in such a heinous murder as this, that there is no trace of DNA in that house or in BK vehicle. I know…we have to wait for the trial. I’m surprised nothing was leaked or stated about blood/DNA being found in the car. I will just sit with this…I know there has to be SOMETHING in that vehicle.
After committing 4 murders, adrenaline going crazy, wouldn’t nerves go through the roof-hence mistakes. Anyone want to elaborate on that? I don’t understand how you wouldn’t lose the ability to think clearly after committing such an act of violence. Can’t wait for justice for Kaylee, Maddie, Ethan and Xana.

Edit-Apologizing now for rambling!
Regarding BF (which was not in any of the documents that I recall and I’ve read and re-read them many times) seeing a naked man (underwear only?) running outside her window…First, the visual of BK running nearly naked from the victims house plays like an episode from “Jackass” in my mind. Not being disrespectful to the victims. Sorry. Couldn’t resist!
Secondly, IMO, would a perp undress right outside of the victims’ home? I would think that may call a little attention to him-it’s a college town…there will be some traffic, foot or vehicle.
Thinking out loud here. Let’s say BK was wearing coveralls. To undress outside would mean he didn’t want to leave a trail. I’m coming to this-they found more than a “latent print”. I can’t fathom, in such a heinous murder as this, that there is no trace of DNA in that house or in BK vehicle. I know…we have to wait for the trial. I’m surprised nothing was leaked or stated about blood/DNA being found in the car. I will just sit with this…I know there has to be SOMETHING in that vehicle.
After committing 4 murders, adrenaline going crazy, wouldn’t nerves go through the roof-hence mistakes. Anyone want to elaborate on that? I don’t understand how you wouldn’t lose the ability to think clearly after committing such an act of violence. Can’t wait for justice for Kaylee, Maddie, Ethan and Xana.
I believe the nerves and emotional state led to his leaving the knife sheath behind- that is one big mistake

MOO SG isn't just looking for justice, he and his wife are laying groundwork to sue Moscow. That is why their actions don't quite make sense.

But in a case like this, I think the public needs to look more at the timeline for Lori Vallow than Alex Murdaugh. Murdaugh only went so quickly because the prosecution of his case was taken over by the state Attorney General's office due to the extreme conflict of interest/long family history in prosecution/etc in that county.
The right to a speedy trial is the defendant's, unfortunately, victims and their families don't have that right. Prosecution in the Murdaugh case went as quickly as it did because the defense invoked its right to a speedy trial (IMHO, because they thought it would result in an under-prepared prosecution). In this case, the defense has waived its right to a speedy trial.

That's never going to happen, MOO. Are they going to ban LE getting cell phone records, too? Those contain personal information. Through those records, associations are revealed, friendships, plenty of personal information. Is that going to be banned? No way. Same idea here. Genetic genealogy is going to stay fair game. People become part of that database voluntarily. MOO, nobody's going to ban genetic genealogy testing "in principle" so BK can walk away from a quadruple homicide.

Love hearing this!

IMO MOO OMO

These families are doing what families do, after unspeakable, heinous, vicious, horrendous, unforgivable, unthinkable, sickening, cruel murder is committed.

There is no becoming adversary. Families.
There is no one ( not lawyer, judge, Priest, bartender, hairdresser, friend or foe) to better speak for THE VICTIMS. Those who, " died at the hand of another," as legal-system so eloquently describes.

Monday morning quarterbacking and harsh commentary ( about a bereft family that is doing exactly the right thing) is something we all can do. But, shouldn't.

As always: support to the amazing team, and love to the families, friends, siblings, neighbors and all those who are so deeply effected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ulanov911