Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing from a bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently I’m not allowed to link the specific case but there have been other instances of young men disappearing while on nights out in Nashville and later being found in the water. My intention in bringing up those cases is to show that, unfortunately, there is a lot of water around the city and a big bar scene, which doesn’t often mix well.

MOO.

In my opinion there ought to be a regulation that anytime a young person is kicked out of a bar due to intoxication, that that person should be accompanied by a friend, or the police, back to safety before being let go. This happens far too often, with tragic results, especially with water in the vicinity.
I don't understand why his friend was not allowed to go out with him. For Pete's sakes, let the friend back in afterwards if the night is still young.
I really hope Riley is found safe, maybe lost and sleeping it off somewhere hidden.....but, it's been so long.

Will the Apple watch have his # of steps and heartbeats stored in the cloud? I think my DD does that for fitness reasons.

Let's go back to the bar. He was kicked out while trying to pay his bill. The bartender had cut him off from having any more cocktails as he'd been overserved (liability?).

Here's the kicker: His buddies let him leave alone while highly intoxicated. Ladies don't leave their friends alone and guys shouldn't either. Ever.

His "vacation buddies" his frat bros return to their hotel and Riley is not there. Why are they surprised?

18 Hours Ago
MSN
MOO
I agree. Don't ever leave an intoxicated friend alone after being removed from a business especially in an unfamiliar area. Groups should use the buddy system that we teach youngsters. Too many of these young people are victims of robbery or worse, or end up in fatal circumstances. I sure do hope he's found and safe. I know we all do.

This latest video clip a viewer sent in to the news crossing Church St is so very concerning and heartbreaking.

I don't believe he had any idea where he was. Too impaired judging from his walking. He was probably hoping to find his way to the hotel but he went in the opposite direction.

In the video it does appear that he is a bit unsteady on his feet in my opinion, but he's alone and no one seems to be engaging with him or following him. I hope someone sees this and recognizes him and perhaps saw him after this was filmed.
Nashville police share video of missing University of Missouri student Riley Strain
A bicyclist saw him and passed him at one point in the video clip. I wonder if they've identified him/her to see if they spoke or just their observation of him.

Edited: excerpt from this article contains more info on how the friends were separated Riley Strain: 22-year-old Mizzou student missing in Nashville

"A friend of Strain’s attempted to leave the bar with him as security led Strain out of the bar around 9:30 p.m., but the security team would not let him out at that point.

By the time Strain’s friend was let out of the bar, Strain had already left the outside area of the bar. Another one of Strain’s friends called Strain. On the phone, Strain told them he was heading back to the hotel room."

MOO but why wouldn't security let the friend out with Riley? Much safer when an inebriated person has a buddy with them to get home. I wonder if there is footage from the bar?

Praying Riley will be found safe.
Why are they stopping a patron that wants to leave the bar from doing so? That needs to be investigated.

For perspective, I found two Google Earth Photo Spheres taken from above the river at different angles of downtown. I added arrows depicting general locations of the key areas. The two bridges are just outside of the image on the right.

Red: Hotel
Blue: Bar
Yellow: Surveillance video at Gay and 1st Ave N (pointing in the direction he was traveling).
Purple: Public Square Park (area near last ping)

Google Earth
Google Earth

IMG_3281.jpeg

^ Very helpful, thanks.
Oh gosh, Riley was really walking AWAY from the hotel, taking a wrong turn.
It wasn't late, I so wish he had asked someone where the hotel was. But maybe he was so out of it, he couldn't. There were people about.

It would be nice if bars were required to ensure a taxi or uber were ordered for over served patrons if they are asked to leave. I am sure some patrons may take off once at their destination, but maybe some of these young lives would be saved. I REALLY hope that Riley beats the odds.

Thats terrible because had the friend been let out this poor kid would more than likely be found alive which I sadly think will not be the case at this point. I agree that it is very odd, how can an establishment not let you out of the door to begin with let alone to accompany your friend that was so intoxicated said establishment is making him leave.
I agree, they might've been taking Riley out of another exit that patrons were not permitted to use, sticky to silly rules meant to keep people safe that actually work against the goal originally in mind.

There's something about that footage that makes me uneasy. Maybe because of the situation, but IDK. Just don't have a good feeling.

Thoughts with Riley's family, hoping beyond hope for a positive outcome here x
Right. Maybe it's the fact that so many seem to notice that he's unsteady but they look the other way, it even appears the man he first passes notices and hangs back to almost avoid Riley, but he could've been waiting for his own friends. It appears too, as if the man might've said something to Riley as he was first crossing the road before the white van crosses, maybe alerting him there was a car coming. Being in the city, I get it, but it's terribly sad. He could've easily been robbed in the situation he was in, not saying that is the scenario but it's a very risky situation. As much as the bar might've been avoiding liability it seems that their actions put Riley in this risky situation.

probably drunk-walking ... but it's also the way that 22 year old kids in a cool big city tend to walk around ... with a little bit of wonder/bee-line. He's in the Great Nashvegas after all.

This latest video clip a viewer sent in to the news crossing Church St is so very concerning and heartbreaking.

Interesting from this article:

"His friend Brayden said he lost sight of him after they got kicked out and began looking for him."

This is the first time I'm seeing 'they' were kicked out of the bar vs RS kicked out of bar.

Could just be a reporting mistake. MOO

In my opinion there ought to be a regulation that anytime a young person is kicked out of a bar due to intoxication, that that person should be accompanied by a friend, or the police, back to safety before being let go. This happens far too often, with tragic results, especially with water in the vicinity.
I don't understand why his friend was not allowed to go out with him. For Pete's sakes, let the friend back in afterwards if the night is still young.
I really hope Riley is found safe, maybe lost and sleeping it off somewhere hidden.....but, it's been so long.
Call it "Riley's Law".

You'd hope this would be status quo. The drunk goes possibly quieter, the bar doesn't get bad press when something like this happens. Presumably there might be less drunk driving, if the drunk was acccompanied. I see this as a no-lose scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ocj