Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question from the presser, "they 100% feel confident he is alive"... Do they think he is walking around in a fugue state from falling, do they think he was kidnapped, I'm honestly having a hard time thinking of what possibilities we have for him just wandering for the past 11 days.
I somehow missed that. Was that a response to a question toward the end?

Serious question from the presser, "they 100% feel confident he is alive"... Do they think he is walking around in a fugue state from falling, do they think he was kidnapped, I'm honestly having a hard time thinking of what possibilities we have for him just wandering for the past 11 days.
Right, especially with so much media coverage and his distinctive height and slim build. How could he be missed? How would he be eating? Showering and sheltering?

I am kind of new to WS, and there was a case in my area of a young adult male who was "missing" for 3 weeks - Matthew Grant. He went off the grid basically, wasn't using his cards or cell phone and hadn't left a trace and very little physical evidence.

Unfortunately, I think RS went in the water.

I am kind of new to WS, and there was a case in my area of a young adult male who was "missing" for 3 weeks - Matthew Grant. He went off the grid basically, wasn't using his cards or cell phone and hadn't left a trace and very little physical evidence.

Unfortunately, I think RS went in the water.
Did that case have such huge media exposure, and was the male as unusual in height and build? I would love Riley to be found alive, but I can’t see how he’d have escaped detection for this long, not to mention escaping starving to death.

It seems like phone pings would be the key. If they do end right by the water and the timing of the pings is consistent with his appearance/disappearance on video, he's got to be in there somewhere.

I 'll say the bank card being found up from the shore is odd. But, without other evidence, it somehow falling out of his pocket or maybe even being dropped by Riley when he took it out for some reason are the most plausible reasons.

I understand having hope. There is no proof that he has passed. I want the best for this family. I believe he will likely be in the water, but I understand his parents trying so hard to keep hope alive in their hearts and minds.

So many people fall in the water when drunk. I was interested reading the links that were provided, but also knowing I have followed many cases here on WS. I personally think that when drunk, some may go close to the water to relieve themselves and fall in.

Last edited:
I agree with you that adults need to take ultimate responsibly for their actions. But despite the best of intentions, we all make mistakes.

I also think that there is responsibility for Bar Owners when they know their patrons are over served. If Bar Owners feel strongly enough to remove them from their establishment, they should make sure this patron has someplace safe to go, rather then turning them out on the streets in a very compromised vulnerable state. An easy solution would be to call LE.

If I understand this situation correctly, this young man was not even able to hold himself in an upright position and was badly stumbling when he was ejected from this bar. A responsible sober adult should have stepped in, whether that was a Bar Bouncer or the Bar calling LE.

This World is not perfect, but we certainly should all step in for others when we see them in any compromising situation.

Maybe there is a lesson here, if you ever see anyone struggling, don't just walk by. Maybe helping a person is as easy as a 911 call.

JMO
IMO: With Riley’s phone and Apple watch dying at the same time, his being found alive is slim.

The high-scale bar/restaurant may not be liable for removing Riley from the bar, it would have been a responsible gesture to hire a ride-share to get him safely to his hotel. It would also have been great for the restaurant’s image.

IMO—-

This whole mystery regarding if the people in the homeless encampment have anything to do with Riley at all is confusing to me.

I personally believe it’s as simple as it seems. A young man, not in his right mind, in an unfamiliar area, in the dark, lost his way (and his bank card) near the river, was discombobulated by alcohol, fell in and has been swept away to parts unknown.

Of course it is possible for someone to have an accosted him. But what’s confusing to me are all the different descriptions of the people in a homeless encampment.
Are they all desperate and will waylay any vulnerable person passing by? Or are they all comatose and lying around helplessly? Of course they are individuals and not a monolith.

Without knowing, my guess would be that if a particular homeless person said he saw Riley, he certainly would NOT report it to LE for fear of being a suspect. Much easier to just say “I didn’t see a thing,” I would presume.

And IF a homeless person saw his bank card, are we saying they would definitely snatch it up, or are we saying they are clever enough to know it would be traceable?

I don’t know if anyone here actually knows someone who is homeless, but I do. Brought up in a stable, loving home, acquired a drug habit and spiraled down from there. But IMO there are many different reasons for people to become homeless, and once in that situation, some may be violent, yes; some may be opportunists, yes; some may be trying to better themselves and would not want to harm anyone.

Of course we also all know that there are thieves and murderers out there who are not homeless at all, just terrible people.

IMO as long as LE says they see no signs of foul play, I will believe that. If Riley were sober and if there were no river in the direction he was heading, I would think of this as much more of a puzzle.

JMO for now.

Most of us live a very sheltered existence but the reality is things like this are happening to both men and women all across the country. It doesn't matter your size or how much money you are perceived to have. Criminals are just looking for an easy target, like someone who is inebriated and doesn't have anyone helping/ watching out for them. Before we visited Nashville last year for a 40th birthday I researched crime in the area of Broadway St and was surprised to see that both men and women were being roofied at an alarming rate. The bars and city do not want this info highly publicized because of the amount of money they make on tourism.
IMO, that is not what has happened here but not out of the realm of possibility. I just wish everyone would take the blinders off and truly be on alert always.
I agree, but we know kids going out-of-town for a drinking weekend aren't going to do that. As I've looked around in this case, from Riley's various sightings, it seems to me Riley never had a clue where he was, nor where his hotel might have been.

That might be an area parents could work on with their children as they're growing. Some parents have expressed their own worries with kids approaching Riley's age. Perhaps from a very early age play car games, using street names and directions. Holler it out, or sing out. I would award with tiny bite-size candies -- with an upper limit (gotta remember teeth). But make up traveling games that deal with locations, street names, left turns, right turns -- even if it's just to the grocery store and back.

If children are aware of location from their earliest years, might they not be better prepared in later years? Until a case like this, I had not realized the importance of that.

Plus for high school and college kids, perhaps members of each traveling group is given a kit with hotel name and address printed out to be tucked into a wallet. A Map would be nice as well. Hotel circled in yellow. Sites to visit in Red. Something kids can study before and have on them. I suspect that when Riley left the bar, his vision was not good enough to be able to read a map on his phone (same thing happens with old eyes). Kids don't have to be inebriated to become separated from their group. In Washington DC, senior trip, best friend and I left group to go buy film for our cameras. Back with no trouble, but it could have been different.

It seems to me, with all the young men drinking and ending up in the river, if the hotel is up a hill and a river is down the hill, the people overseeing the tour should be impressing that on the group the entire trip to the destination. "Remember always go uphill. If you're going downhill, you're headed to the river. Go uphill."

It seems to me, the people on the tour/trip need to have a basic idea of where they are. The trip planners should (and perhaps already are) be sure they're equipped with that info in a portable, easy to use format.

I somehow missed that. Was that a response to a question toward the end?
From family spokesman Chris Dingman. I'm unfortunately quoting TMZ because Kris Jenner's sister passed and that happened to be the next story so I caught it there. If you want me to find a better source I can absolutely try.

From family spokesman Chris Dingman. I'm unfortunately quoting TMZ because Kris Jenner's sister passed and that happened to be the next story so I caught it there. If you want me to find a better source I can absolutely try.
Thanks - I thought it was in today's press conference. No need to find a source on my account.

"Good, lost" would make the most sense to me.

He is OK, but doesn't know how to get back from where he is and, perhaps, intended to ask for her help in trying to guide him back to the hotel by her phone. Sometimes difficult to read maps at night on small phone screens.
He uses the word good from the police video too..I believe he answered his GF back good lol …He has an apple phone with awesome capabilities to pull up the map and see himself in real-time as he’s walking…So he could’ve viewed his surroundings easily…Riley’s cell phone carrier has lots of info that most likely wasn’t released…Any app you open on the iPhone registers and hopefully Riley left traces…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member