Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated MAR 21, 2024
[...]

Chris Salisbury, an advocate for Nashville-area homeless, shared new details Wednesday about the shirt that Strain was last seen wearing with NewsNation’s Ashleigh Banfield.

Salisbury said he was able to go and find surveillance information based on the homeless community and discovered that a homeless man named Ross was wearing Strain’s shirt — which had vomit on it — said he found the clothing item on a railing. However, where Ross says he found it doesn’t add up, according to Salisbury.

Strain’s mother and stepfather Michelle and Chris Whiteid told Banfield it wasn’t new information, as they had heard that rumor prior. Strain’s stepfather said vomit was not visible on his shirt in bodycam footage from an officer who briefly interacted with the college student the night he disappeared.

[...]

Updated MAR 21, 2024
[...]

Chris Salisbury, an advocate for Nashville-area homeless, shared new details Wednesday about the shirt that Strain was last seen wearing with NewsNation’s Ashleigh Banfield.

Salisbury said he was able to go and find surveillance information based on the homeless community and discovered that a homeless man named Ross was wearing Strain’s shirt — which had vomit on it — said he found the clothing item on a railing. However, where Ross says he found it doesn’t add up, according to Salisbury.

Strain’s mother and stepfather Michelle and Chris Whiteid told Banfield it wasn’t new information, as they had heard that rumor prior. Strain’s stepfather said vomit was not visible on his shirt in bodycam footage from an officer who briefly interacted with the college student the night he disappeared.

[...]
Very interesting……

His swimming abilities or height are not relevent as they do not give him protection from the shock of suddenly entering cold water. Swimming abilities and height don't negate intoxication which makes it more likely that he "inhaled" when his head first went under which usually happens with an accidental plunge. I've never heard of someone claiming that a victim was experienced with falling unexpectedly into cold moving water in the dark, while drunk, so he should have survived. The myth of being a strong swimmer is protection from drowning is deadly.

"Cold Water Immersion can trigger involuntary gasping, rapid breathing or hyperventilating due to the “shock” of sudden immersion"

Yes, even the strongest of swimmers have drowned when faced with cold water and while inebriated.

I am not suggesting that his body went full speed ahead – just that the river did – so checking the dam 40-some-odd miles downstream wasn’t as far-fetched as some seemed to think per their initial reactions when the search was announced. It seems there is lots of debris along the shoreline, so he could easily be tangled up. JMO
I appreciated seeing your calculations yesterday. There was a case where a missing woman who was hiking (Carol Schulte in Missouri, I think?) went into a fast moving river and was located 30 miles downstream about a week later. Another recent case where flash flooding caused some deaths in Bucks County, PA, a young child from one of the vehicles was swept from the rising creek waters into the Delaware River and was located in the northeast Philadelphia area (in the Delaware River, still) about a week later, I think about 19 miles down current.

This story about dear Riley being observed as he was vomiting is something to think about. It’s not necessarily an indication of him being drunk. I have finally viewed the video of him running into the lamp post, falling, and not getting up immediately. It is very difficult to believe he was not concussed, and vomiting is a frequent symptom of a concussion.

Another symptom is wanting to sleep, especially after vomiting. It wasn’t clear to me how close the rail where he was seen getting sick was to an easy roll into the river. I’m now wondering if as a result of a concussion, he lay down somewhere along there and went to sleep or even died from a brain bleed — and was spotted with an Apple Watch, iPhone, and nice clothes, from which he was robbed and then rolled into the river by the thief. MOO. This is just so sad.

IDK. Only a thought. I am not medically trained but have had personal experience with a number of concussions.
I've been through those concussion symptoms, minus the brain bleed. I also had a splitting headache and every sound seemed to resonate in my head and increase the pain. They kept me overnight in the hospital for observation.

However, where Ross says he found it doesn’t add up, according to Salisbury… Strain’s stepfather said vomit was not visible on his shirt in bodycam footage from an officer who briefly interacted with the college student the night he disappeared.
I’m wondering what the implications of this information may be….

I’m wondering what the implications of this information may be….
I would wonder too. But in the video interview of the advocate for the homeless, Salisbury, it's Ashley Banfield who says the location where the man says he found the shirt doesn't make sense, not Salisbury. She bases her belief on videos and phone pings.

Banfield
Tape entitled "Shirt thought to be Riley Strain's had vomit on it"
MOO

I appreciated seeing your calculations yesterday. There was a case where a missing woman who was hiking (Carol Schulte in Missouri, I think?) went into a fast moving river and was located 30 miles downstream about a week later. Another recent case where flash flooding caused some deaths in Bucks County, PA, a young child from one of the vehicles was swept from the rising creek waters into the Delaware River and was located in the northeast Philadelphia area (in the Delaware River, still) about a week later, I think about 19 miles down current.
In Louisiana, Kori Gauthier was found 44 miles away from where she entered the water, a week later. This location was out of the search area and she was found by a random boater.

I would wonder too. But in the video interview of the advocate for the homeless, Salisbury, it's Ashley Banfield who says the location where the man says he found the shirt doesn't make sense, not Salisbury. She bases her belief on videos and phone pings.

Banfield
Tape entitled "Shirt thought to be Riley Strain's had vomit on it"
MOO
Oh, I get it. Thanks for the clarification.

Is Riley's shirt that unique? or is it a popular shirt that other guys in Nashville may own?
This might be his shirt:

It seems that the size/length of the shirt would be an immediate indicator if it was possibly RS’s.

So maybe one homeless guy finds the shirt thinks he wants it eventually discovers it has fresh vomit on it and discards it on a guardrail as he passes by where the next homeless guy finds it and puts it on.

all imo

It's mightily sad, whatever happened. I got battered with my keys, car, wallet and phone stolen walking through a car park on Sunday Evening, and I'm someone who'd say is quite "switched on". It can happen to anyone. I haven't gone back to work yet as I think I'm in massive shock plus the 100+ calls i've had to make to insurance companies, police etc in the last 3 days has taken 12 hours of my day up. I'm not young, and I'm not vulnerable but if it happens it does.
Very sorry to hear about this @chimpface I hope they catch who did this to you.

Look after yourself

X

Oh, I get it. Thanks for the clarification.
I don't always watch the posted videos especially on my phone. But I watched that one. It's odd what was said is being reported inaccurately by NewsNation! But maybe not so odd. Makes for a better story for Salisbury not Banfield to say the man's story doesn't add up. I'd be ticked off though if I were Salisbury. After all, he has a relationship with the homeless community (and the man) that will go on longer than Banfield's focus on the area.
MOO

I don't always watch the posted videos especially on my phone. But I watched that one. It's odd what was said is being reported inaccurately by NewsNation! But maybe not so odd. Makes for a better story for Salisbury not Banfield to say the man's story doesn't add up. I'd be ticked off though if I were Salisbury. After all, he has a relationship with the homeless community (and the man) that will go on longer than Banfield's focus on the area.
MOO
I agree. Falsely attributing a quote like that during an ongoing official investigation is really horrible journalism.

I am going to go ahead & post my notes - so far - on Riley's case - just to shorten it up a bit.

Missing:
TN - Riley Strain (22) - last seen on Mar. 8, 2024 at approximately 10pm @ Luke Bryan's 32 Bridge Bar in downtown Nashville.
Riley Strain, a 22-year old student at the Univ. of Missouri, was in town for what was supposed to be a fun weekend for a formal along with 200 other members of his Delta Chi fraternity. But unfortunately, at around 10pm on Friday, Strain got separated from the rest of his group at Luke Bryan’s 32 Bridge bar & hasn’t been seen since. "Strain's friends told police they lost sight of him around 10pm after he was told to leave Luke Bryan's bar at 301 Broadway. "According to posts on social media, Strain’s phone was last tracked to an area near Public Square Park, a few blocks from Broadway & near a bridge crossing the Cumberland River, at 9:53pmnon Friday. But since then, the phone has been shut off & Strain hasn’t been seen or heard from since. The location where his phone last pinged is near the Nashville jail, but Riley’s family & friends say that the police have searched the local jails & hospitals with no sign of their missing loved one. The bar staff felt he had too much to drink, according to his family. Strain's stepfather Chris Whiteid said there was no hostility. The bartender said he had been overserved (abbout 9:45pm). He (Riley) was trying to pay his tab.” "He told his friends he’d walk back to their hotel, the Tempo by Hilton, about five blocks away. When Strain’s friends returned to the hotel later that night, they assumed he was in another room. According to Riley's family, his fraternity brothers didn't realize Riley never made it back to the hotel until early Saturday morning. The next morning, his friends started searching & stopped by the Davidson County Sheriff's office first, before being re-directed to Metro Police. The friends evidently called Riley's parents about the disappearance around 10:30am Saturday, 3/9/24.
3/12/24, Tuesday Day 4 Update: Metro Police say they're working on getting surveillance video from Broadway & the surrounding area. Strain's family says they're also waiting for court paperwork, so they can get access to his bank card transactions & Apple Watch. Authorities said Strain's cellphone provider was not able to get a "live ping" due to the phone being off. MNPD said his service provider was able to give law enforcement his last location, which pinged near a cell tower located at 19 Oldham St. Strain's family tracked his last cellphone location to Gay Street & James Robertson Parkway, which is very close to the cell tower & less than a mile from Luke Bryan's bar on Broadway. Chris Whiteid told The St. Louis Post-Dispatch that according to surveillance footage, it appeared that Strain was heading back to the hotel but took a wrong turn. It's not clear where that footage was from. Authorities said the video shows Strain crossing 1st Avenue North to Gay Street at approximately 9:47pm on Friday, March 8. Crews will be on the water searching Tuesday with help from a nonprofit called the United Cajun Navy.
3/13/24 Wednesday Day 5 update: Surveillance video shows Riley stumbling & falling in a parking lot off Church St. More info post #89 (article) & #91 (911 call): https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...om-a-bar-nashville-8-march-2024.706971/page-5
Metro PD confirmed that a helicopter aided in the search for Riley Strain on Tuesday. The MNPD helicopter searched in the area he was last seen and along the riverbank, however, nothing was found. According to a statement from police, detectives also searched on the ground, “but to no avail.” And more posts #110, 113 & 116- page 6. New LE searches under way Wed., 3/14/24. Post #187 page 10. New leads-post #229 & more searches post #234 page 12.

3/13/24 Wednesday, Day 5 of search posts #245 & 250. More video post #253, page 13.
3/14/24 Thursday, Day 6 - new details on searches posts #308 & 312 page 16. Post #324 page 17. Latest on search post #403 page 21.
3/15/24 Friday, Day 7 - More LE info & video posts #499 & 500 page 25. Post #519 page 26. Bar releases statement post 527 page 27 & post #557 page 28.
3/16/24 Saturday, Day 8 - Searches continue posts #606, 613 & 615; Timeline post #609 page 31. More video footage post #667 & Timeline by family #669 page 34. Nashville emergency officials used two sonar boats, four canines, one Nashville Fire Dept. boat & crew, one dive team & one drone & operator. Crews used the canines to narrow down an area near the Riverfront Park. They sent a team of divers into the water. Emergency officials wrapped up their search around 2:30pm. Officials said they would not continue their search on Sunday unless they were requested by the Metro Nashville Police Dept. to do so, Nashville Office of Emergency Management Public Information Officer Kendra Loney said.
3/17/24 Sunday, Day 9 -Searches continue post #711 page 36. More info re Apple watch & homeless man spotted Riley post 721 & 736 (article), page 37. Thread #1. The Metro Nashville Police Dept. has confirmed that Riley Strain’s bank card was found [by two girls {Tik-Tok volunteer searchers) in a “wooded area”] on an embankment near the Cumberland River Sunday afternoon [the card did not have any activity on it] [see post 748 (article), page 38, thread #1]. Video of place his card was found see post 900, page 45, thread #1.
Updated timeline see post 755, page 38, thread #1.
Crews working to recover body found floating in Cumberland River on Sunday. Fire officials said the individual surfaced from the water wearing a “maroon colored shirt & does not match the description of the missing student.” {see post #793 (article), page 40, thread #1]
Sunday: Parents were shown video of Riley's brief exchange of greetings with Officer Reginald Young on Gay St., south of the Woodland St. Bridge, on the night of 3/8/24. Riley did not appear distressed. Officer Young was there on a vehicle burglary call & remained on that portion of Gay St. for 45 min. [see post #27 & 51, page 2 & 3, thread #2]. Around 9:50pm, Strain walked by alone. The officer asked how he was doing, and Strain responded, "I’m good, how are you?" "No video has been discovered that shows Riley away from Gay St. after the 9:52pm timeframe," police said Monday.

3/18/24 Monday, Day 10: The body found on Sunday: Metro Nashville Police said there was no sign of foul play trauma on the body found Sunday in the Cumberland River. The body was seen in the river by the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency floating near the Martin Luther King bridge around 1pm, Sunday. The Nashville Fire Department was able to retrieve the body. Police said the autopsy did not show any signs of foul play trauma. Police believe the man is Hispanic. He was wearing black jeans, a maroon shirt, a Puma tennis shoe & a white watch. He had a right bicep tattoo that resembled a tiger/panther.
3/19/24 Tuesday, Day 11: Updates: Family friend says the last person to communicate with Riley was a young lady he was seeing who was checking on him to see if he was having fun in Nashville. He responded: "good lops" which confused her. All within a ten minute window of him missing [see post 128, page , thread #2] Update on search, etc. post #201, page 11. Search has been scaled down. See post #251, page 11, thread #2. Family presser see posts #348, 349 & 356, page 18 & post #379, page 19, thread #2.
3/20/24 Wednesday Day 12 Update: Latest update [last known video]: Surveillance video last captures Strain on Gay Street near the James Robertson Bridge, according to Metro Police. However, investigators have not released that specific video to the public. He said Strain continued in the same direction up First Avenue. However, that's where Strain's trail stops. No other footage or cell phone activity go beyond that point, circa 10pm. Other security footage just a block up, from the Justice A. A. Birch Building, doesn't appear to show Strain pass by, according to his family. [see post #741 page 38, thread #1]
3/20/24 Wednesday updates: Metro Nashville helicopters continue to fly over the Cumberland River in the ongoing search for Riley. MNPD & Nashville EOC boats were on the water again today. The Cheatham Co. Sheriff's Office is also assisting down river. More info on searches posts #650 & 657, page 33, thread #2. The search for Riley has now moved to the Cheatham Dam where officials have shutdown the water flow this afternoon. The Cheatham Counry Sheriff's office is searching along the Cumberland River in Ashland City. [posts #692 & 694, page 37]. Nothing found [post #750, page 38, & posts #767, 769 & 771 page 39]. Ashland City Fire Dept. joined in the search for Riley along the Cumberland River & round the Cheatham ock & Dam. Boat is equipped with underwater side & down imaging electronics to aid in the search. [post 782, page 40]. Article on search [post #827 page 42]. Regarding shirt rumor-article [post 828, page 42, thread #2]

At the presser the man said they were looking for a missing person not small pieces of evidence. i just can't with this one. Not to mention trying to tell people what they can and can't say and to whom. Don't want no theories, don't want people posting on social media. SMDH again.
want no theories, don't want people posting on social media. SMDH again.
That was strange to me too. Obviously small pieces of evidence could narrow the search and lead to the missing person? There's a lot going on behind the scenes that we don't know, but it's odd that Tik Tokers found that piece of evidence. Shouldn't that trash have been combed through by investigators? Do they need more resources on it or is the philosophy really just looking for an entire person only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssshotgunnn