GUILTY WI - Apple River multiple stabbing; one teen dead, 4 other people hurt; 52 year old man arrested, July 2022

He was convicted of the following charges:
  • First-degree reckless homicide of Isaac Schuman
  • First-degree recklessly endangering safety of A.J. Martin
  • First-degree recklessly endangering safety of Dante Carlson
  • First-degree recklsely endangering safety of Tony Carlson
  • First-degree recklessly endangering safety of Ryhley Mattison
  • Battery of Madison Coen
Talk about splitting the baby. This case is tragic. The message here is mobs rule.

"Wisconsin state law allows deadly force only if "necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm.".

That is significant. If we have to interpret NM actions, in comparison with the law in Wisconsin, I think that NM has a problem here. Especially since the jury keeps reviewing the videos.

Kudos to me. Called it.

Jumping into this thread blind - not sure what the general consensus here is but my gosh - the amount of people I have come across on the internet that think you can just kill people if they say things you don't like is just baffling. Also finding it hard to comprehend the thought that somehow the kids were more culpable because they were underage drinking rather than the adults who were of-age drinking. I'll never understand why Miu approached the kids. Why not just ignore them. He will have a lifetime to think about that. I've seen so many people say the kids derserved it because they were being brats. Blows my mind.

Why not? Are they not allowed to touch the controls (if they have the video in the jury room) or not allowed to request someone to do so?
The Judge so far has wanted them to view it in the courtroom. It is not in the jury room for viewing.

I am having a very difficult time with this verdict. I accept it of course but wow one day to send a man to prison for likely the rest of his life after being provoked, surrounded and attacked by multiple people and simply defended himself. Yes. He lied. Yes. He should have told the truth. But I feel this verdict is because of his lies, which is unfortunate, because I believe MANY people will see this result the way I do. You have no right to protect yourself in America any longer. People can surround an old mans car banging and kicking and climbing on it but if you dare try to defend yourself, you can go to prison. People can surround you screaming at you and getting in your face and personal space and pushing them away allows an angry mob to violently attack you and you are supposed to just take it.

I am sorry. Maybe I'm just old. But the way these people acted was despicable. And this right here illustrates EXACTLY why this man chose to lie and try to get away from it. Because he knew in his high functioning analytical engineer's mind that society is a hot mess.JMO

OH WOW ~ thank you for that update on the charges. I was just watching the video again and had these thoughts:

1) I smile similarly like he did when under stress. It is a frozen smile that is not calculated ~ it just occurs. I am an older female.

2) Re Cockfield: It is bizarre to me that he films his own face/his reaction when seeing the blood by the tubes. A normal reaction would be to drop the phone or, at most, continuing to film, but not turn the camera to your own face.

Over to CourtTV to see what is happening real time...

Jumping into this thread blind - not sure what the general consensus here is but my gosh - the amount of people I have come across on the internet that think you can just kill people if they say things you don't like is just baffling. Also finding it hard to comprehend the thought that somehow the kids were more culpable because they were underage drinking rather than the adults who were of-age drinking. I'll never understand why Miu approached the kids. Why not just ignore them. He will have a lifetime to think about that. I've seen so many people say the kids derserved it because they were being brats. Blows my mind.
Not only that....his group had seen the kids and agreed to stay away from them, and yet he crossed the river and swam back and forth near them. This freaked out the kids...and now I see with good reason.

People are way more unhinged nowadays, especially after covid. It sucks. I tell my kid, you have to be careful about any situation you go into you never know who is just going to fly off the handle don't assume.

I’ve gone back and forth, but now find I’m relieved at the verdict.

For me, I wonder why he even walked over to them at all. If someone was yelling at me I would never walk over, as it would obviously escalate the situation. He could have just kept looking for the phone or gone back to his party, but he decided to participate, they didn’t “mob” until he came over, which I will just never understand why.

you cannot just go out on a river and start slashing people when you had a clear option to leave.
In addition to this and as @mickey2942 called it.

Wisconsin state law allows deadly force only if "necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm."

NW stabbed several victims prior to the possibility of imminent death or great bodily harm. Therefore, deadly force was not necessary at the time NM used deadly force.

I am having a very difficult time with this verdict. I accept it of course but wow one day to send a man to prison for likely the rest of his life after being provoked, surrounded and attacked by multiple people and simply defended himself. Yes. He lied. Yes. He should have told the truth. But I feel this verdict is because of his lies, which is unfortunate, because I believe MANY people will see this result the way I do. You have no right to protect yourself in America any longer. People can surround an old mans car banging and kicking and climbing on it but if you dare try to defend yourself, you can go to prison. People can surround you screaming at you and getting in your face and personal space and pushing them away allows an angry mob to violently attack you and you are supposed to just take it.

I am sorry. Maybe I'm just old. But the way these people acted was despicable. And this right here illustrates EXACTLY why this man chose to lie and try to get away from it. Because he knew in his high functioning analytical engineer's mind that society is a hot mess.JMO
Totally agree! And now the members of the mob will feel vindicated for their actions and continue to behave the same way in similar situations.

No winners here and society just keeps taking little backward steps…. IMO.

I’ve gone back and forth, but now find I’m relieved at the verdict.

For me, I wonder why he even walked over to them at all. If someone was yelling at me I would never walk over, as it would obviously escalate the situation. He could have just kept looking for the phone or gone back to his party, but he decided to participate, they didn’t “mob” until he came over, which I will just never understand why.
Miu himself said everyone including himself were drunk on the river...then says "kids will be kids" and yet he slashed five of them. Miu thought he was the smartest guy on the river, then smartest guy in courtroom. He deserves any long sentence he gets. Something snapped in him that day...angry does not even begin to describe his mindset and he went too far. I think he was fully aware of that knife and had he not had it he would have just walked away. If he had a gun (big gun guy from facebook posts) he would have done even more damage.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deluhg01
Back