Spain Spain - Ana Knezevich, 40, from Florida, going through divorce, missing under suspicious circumstances on trip to Madrid, 5 Feb 2024 *Arrest*

Then there would have been no need to paint the outside security camera, that was very low tech, so to speak. So the painting of the outside cameras with black paint must have just been a coincidence?

Also the article notes that a student could figure it out, so that leaves a lot of possibilities, doesn't take someone with cyber security experience like Ana and David.
Why would someone spray paint the camera if they wanted to spy on Ana by using them via the EM Eye technique? That makes no sense in my opinion. There has been no mention that the spray painting had anything to do with Ana. So yes, it is just a coincidence. And David is an innocent victim.

Last edited:
Then there would have been no need to paint the outside security camera, that was very low tech, so to speak. So the painting of the outside cameras with black paint must have just been a coincidence?

Also the article notes that a student could figure it out, so that leaves a lot of possibilities, doesn't take someone with cyber security experience like Ana and David.

Painting security cameras seems to be commonplace in Spain for breakins, but that it happened that very day in that very apartment house is suspicious.

Remote sleuthing of Ana’s life via her webcam or cybersecurity cameras, for day, to get the information about her schedule, is another matter.

Painting security cameras seems to be commonplace in Spain for breakins, but that it happened that very day in that very apartment house is suspicious.

Remote sleuthing of Ana’s life via her webcam or cybersecurity cameras, for day, to get the information about her schedule, is another matter.
Yes I agree that it is indeed suspicious. However, at this point, it is merely a "coincidence."

In my opinion, anyone's laptop, cell phones, etc. could easily be tapped into by a cybersecurity expert, i.e. "hacker."

The EM Eye technique is described as being used in close proximity to intercept the radio frequencies that cameras use to communicate. The article doesn't mention using the technique to disable cameras.

Last edited:
Why would someone spray paint the camera if they wanted to spy on Ana by using them via the EM Eye technique? That makes no sense in my opinion. There has been no mention that the spray painting had anything to do with Ana. So yes, it is just a coincidence. And David is an innocent victim.

not connected to any spying but if they didn't want her to see who they were before she opened the door to them

not connected to any spying but if they didn't want her to see who they were before she opened the door to them
Yes, logically. I was asking Sundog because I didn't understand his comment about the hypothetical spray painting the cameras even though they wanted to spy.

What I can only say is that there is a “surprising coincidence” between the day that the cameras in Ana’s apartment complex were spray-painted and the same day, she disappeared. I have read that spray-painting cameras happens in Spain. Question is, how often? How many apartment complexes in Madrid on a given day, for example? Until we have the statistics, we can’t discard the fact as the coincidences.

About the EM eye - it is my understanding that the intercalate into the connection between many different devices connected to the Internet “including smartphone cameras, dash cams and home security cameras.” I personally think that if such technology was used, it had nothing to do with the security cameras outside the apartment. Probably it was something used to monitor Ana’s daily routine via her smartphone camera, until a good plan was made. If it was a murder-for-hire, and especially if the hitman came from another country, Ana’s daily routines and the area in which she lived had to be scouted. So IMHO, if EM technology was used, it is not related to the external cameras at all. The external cameras were blackened out not to register who came to the door, whom she answered to, with whom she left. Choice of the day, when to attack, where to take her could be connected to EM technology.

April 11, 2024

"The FBI participates in parallel in the investigation: they focus on the apparent liquidation by her husband of the assets they both shared.

Not in vain, the investigation in Spain is already in the hands of the Court of Violence against Women No. 9 of Madrid after the Court of Instruction No. 51 of Madrid was inhibited in its favor, which shows, according to legal sources cited by EFE, that investigators have as one of their hypotheses that her husband, David Knezevich, with whom she had been immersed in a divorce process for half a year, could be involved in her disappearance.

Meanwhile, in parallel, a court in Florida, USA, focuses on the apparent liquidation by her husband of the assets they maintained in common.

Ana María's relatives are already appearing as private prosecutors in the case after the Spanish consulate in Miami granted them power of attorney to file lawsuits, but they have not yet been able to learn the details of the investigation that are in the possession of the Court."

April 11, 2024

"The FBI participates in parallel in the investigation: they focus on the apparent liquidation by her husband of the assets they both shared.

Not in vain, the investigation in Spain is already in the hands of the Court of Violence against Women No. 9 of Madrid after the Court of Instruction No. 51 of Madrid was inhibited in its favor, which shows, according to legal sources cited by EFE, that investigators have as one of their hypotheses that her husband, David Knezevich, with whom she had been immersed in a divorce process for half a year, could be involved in her disappearance.

Meanwhile, in parallel, a court in Florida, USA, focuses on the apparent liquidation by her husband of the assets they maintained in common.

Ana María's relatives are already appearing as private prosecutors in the case after the Spanish consulate in Miami granted them power of attorney to file lawsuits, but they have not yet been able to learn the details of the investigation that are in the possession of the Court."

The only thing new in this article as far as I can tell is that the court only hypothesizes that the spouse of AK may be involved in her disappearance. Nowhere does it say that they have any evidence that this is the case.

Also, news that AK's belongings may soon be removed from her apartment in Spain and returned to the U.S.

The article claims that the FBI is running a parallel investigation in the U.S., but we don't kow the nature of the FBI's involvement and this article doesn't substantiate how they have come to that conclusion, i.e. no attribution of source of that information.

They do mention the news that AK's brother is trying to get conservatorship of AK's assets. That will be interesting as the probate court will need to contact DK to get his involvement in the hearing when it takes place. I wonder if DK will be there in person or be represented by an estate lawyer that he will likely need to hire in this complicated estate and probate case. Not sure if his current lawyer would want to represent him or advise DK to work with an estate lawyer with regard to these proceedings. Either way, I assume that both parties - whether the brother of AK or DK himself - will need to wait the five years to declare AK as deceased. In the meantime, DK will have to determine which assets he can dispose of that aren't jointly-held with AK and then he can dispose of those assets, I would assume. Florida is not a community-property state with regard to 50/50 division of marital assets during divorce, so we will have to see how that gets adjudicated in the future as well.

Also, there is no source for their statement that the FBI is running a "parallel investigation" in the U.S. The FBI is likely only involved in helping Spanish authorities investigate the case when possible, but as far as we know, the FBI has not referred this case to any prosecutorial body in the U.S. and their involvement is likely limited to assistance where needed and appropriate.

JMO

BBM and highlighted by me

Last edited:
The only thing new in this article as far as I can tell is that the court only hypothesizes that the spouse of AK may be involved in her disappearance. Nowhere does it say that they have any evidence that this is the case.

Also, news that AK's belongings may soon be removed from her apartment in Spain and returned to the U.S.

The article claims that the FBI is running a parallel investigation in the U.S., but we don't kow the nature of the FBI's involvement and this article doesn't substantiate how they have come to that conclusion, i.e. no attribution of source of that information.

They do mention the news that AK's brother is trying to get conservatorship of AK's assets. That will be interesting as the probate court will need to contact DK to get his involvement in the hearing when it takes place. I wonder if DK will be there in person or be represented by an estate lawyer that he will likely need to hire in this complicated estate and probate case. Not sure if his current lawyer would want to represent him or advise DK to work with an estate lawyer with regard to these proceedings. Either way, I assume that both parties - whether the brother of AK or DK himself - will need to wait the five years to declare AK as deceased. In the meantime, DK will have to determine which assets he can dispose of that aren't jointly-held with AK and then he can dispose of those assets, I would assume. Florida is not a communityf-property state with regard to 50/50 division of marital assets during divorce, so we will have to see how that gets adjudicated in the future as well.

Also, there is no source for their statement that the FBI is running a "parallel investigation" in the U.S. The FBI is likely only involved in helping Spanish authorities investigate the case when possible, but as far as we know, the FBI has not referred this case to any prosecutorial body in the U.S. and their involvement is likely limited to assistance where needed and appropriate.

JMO
Also there is no source from the Spanish consulate in Miami about granting power of attorney to file lawsuits.

Last edited:
RSBM: It's not a hypothesis that Ana's case is now handled by Court 9. It wouldn't have been transferred from 51 to 9 on the back of a simple theory, more reasonable to conclude there is some sort of evidence behind that. JMO.

They do mention the news that AK's brother is trying to get conservatorship of AK's assets. That will be interesting as the probate court will need to contact DK to get his involvement in the hearing when it takes place. I wonder if DK will be there in person or be represented by an estate lawyer that he will likely need to hire in this complicated estate and probate case. Not sure if his current lawyer would want to represent him or advise DK to work with an estate lawyer with regard to these proceedings. Either way, I assume that both parties - whether the brother of AK or DK himself - will need to wait the five years to declare AK as deceased. In the meantime, DK will have to determine which assets he can dispose of that aren't jointly-held with AK and then he can dispose of those assets, I would assume. Florida is not a community-property state with regard to 50/50 division of marital assets during divorce, so we will have to see how that gets adjudicated in the future as well.

JMO

BBM and highlighted by me
Every court case is a hypothesis. The jury / judge are there to decide which hypothesis makes more sense - the defendant's or the prosecutor's.

What I can only say is that there is a “surprising coincidence” between the day that the cameras in Ana’s apartment complex were spray-painted and the same day, she disappeared. I have read that spray-painting cameras happens in Spain. Question is, how often? How many apartment complexes in Madrid on a given day, for example? Until we have the statistics, we can’t discard the fact as the coincidences.
RSBM: Spray-painting over cameras in Madrid is not common whatsoever. I don't have any numbers here but would wager it's far less than one apartment complex a day. If you search under google news in Spanish 'cameras spray Madrid', the first page of returns has the story of a man who tried to rob a gym in La Rioja (300km away) by doing this. The rest is all Ana. So whatever the likelihood that the rarity of a camera being sprayed over occurs in the very location of an even greater rarity...? My maths sucks but I would say unlikely to the point of not being worth wasting a lot of time on? Particularly given that none of the neighbours spoke of anything being stolen or robbed. JMO, of course.

RSBM: It's not a hypothesis that Ana's case is now handled by Court 9. It wouldn't have been transferred from 51 to 9 on the back of a simple theory, more reasonable to conclude there is some sort of evidence behind that. JMO.
Could be, but I think it could be pro forma in these kinds of cases given certain background of a case.

Last edited:
Every court case is a hypothesis. The jury / judge are there to decide which hypothesis makes more sense - the defendant's or the prosecutor's.
That's not the case in the U.S. court system. A grand jury or prosecutor's office needs hard evidence to bring a case to court. WIthout that, a hypothesis is just speculation. LE can start with an hypothesis/speculation and then look for evidence/facts to back it up. And if they find such evidence, then they've got a case. If not, it's just that - an hypothesis.

That's not the case in the U.S. court system. A grand jury or prosecutor's office needs hard evidence to bring a case to court. WIthout that, a hypothesis is just speculation. LE can start with an hypothesis/speculation and then look for evidence/facts to back it up. And if they find such evidence, then they've got a case. If not, it's just that - an hypothesis.
Even if they have a case, the defendant has a hypothesis of innocence, regardless of any "hard evidence." Both sides argue their hypotheses, and "hard evidence" may help to strengthen their hypothesis.

In light of OJ's recent passing, there was "hard evidence" that he was guilty. However, that hypothesis was proven false by the jury, who decided that OJ's innocence was the more likely hypothesis.

Hard evidence is required in Spain, too. The penal process can be initiated in different ways here. Either via a state body, El Ministerio Fiscal (equivalent to the State Prosecutor's Office), or via the various police forces. Alternatively, an injured party can directly 'denounce' a crime. However it reaches the court, the case is then reviewed by a judge or judges. If it's decided there is a case to answer, the court process plays out. If not, it ends there. This is obviously done on the basis of said evidence or lack thereof. If the police, in this case, were to approach Court 9 and present simply a hypothesis without any kind of evidence, it wouldn't get very far IMO.

Even if they have a case, the defendant has a hypothesis of innocence, regardless of any "hard evidence." Both sides argue their hypotheses, and "hard evidence" may help to strengthen their hypothesis.

In light of OJ's recent passing, there was "hard evidence" that he was guilty. However, that hypothesis was proven false by the jury, who decided that OJ's innocence was the more likely hypothesis.
In the U.S., a defendant doesn't have a hypothesis of innocence, s/he is assumed innocent. It is up to the prosecution to provide evidence that indicates it is otherwise. The defense doesn't have to argue a defendant's innocence, the defence has only to show that the prosecution's presentation of their evidence doesn't meet the standard of beyond a reasonable doubt. The presecution's evidence has to stand up to the defense counsel's and ultimately the juries scrutiny. No need to prove the defendant is innocent. That's assumed.

Hard evidence is required in Spain, too. The penal process can be initiated in different ways here. Either via a state body, El Ministerio Fiscal (equivalent to the State Prosecutor's Office), or via the various police forces. Alternatively, an injured party can directly 'denounce' a crime. However it reaches the court, the case is then reviewed by a judge or judges. If it's decided there is a case to answer, the court process plays out. If not, it ends there. This is obviously done on the basis of said evidence or lack thereof. If the police, in this case, were to approach Court 9 and present simply a hypothesis without any kind of evidence, it wouldn't get very far IMO.

But since the investigative process is done at both the pre-court stage AND at the in-court stage (just using these prefix descriptions as a way to explain my perspective on this), then I would think that a regular court (versus the women's specialized court) might transfer a case with what they perceived to belong more to the specialized court than the regular court. That would make complete sense to me. That is why I am calling it possibly a pro forma transfer. If we could find the criteria online somewhere that provides the standards for such a transfer, that would be helpful. But since it is still an open investigation at the stage of the transfer, then to me the transfer doesn't mean very much in terms of hard evidence in the case.

In the U.S., a defendant doesn't have a hypothesis of innocence, s/he is assumed innocent. It is up to the prosecution to provide evidence that indicates it is otherwise. The defense doesn't have to argue a defendant's innocence, the defence has only to show that the prosecution's presentation of their evidence doesn't meet the standard of beyond a reasonable doubt. The presecution's evidence has to stand up to the defense counsel's and ultimately the juries scrutiny. No need to prove the defendant is innocent. That's assumed.
The definition of "hypothesis" is literally "assumption."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleAnimalGirl
Back