State v Brad Cooper 4-8-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree Kurtz is a good lawyer (as long as his annoying tactics and delivery don't work against his client with the Judge)

Yes, a "flawed legal system" involving past cases w/ the SBI are real.
But, like Duke Lacrosse you mentioned earlier, how is that relevant in this case:waitasec:

Incompetent folks in the DA's office? Bad arrest? Jumping to conclusions? Lack of evidence? All of those make it a little relevant to me.

The cases are certainly mutually exclusive of each other, but honestly, the WCDA's office has been on a roll for a long time. It's been bound to get caught up in a scandal or two. I think the only real scandal here will be if that FBI guy and Det. Daniels parrot the rest of this debacle.

I hear ya! I can't get past the flurry of phone calls from 6am-7am that morning, the weird HT visits, the story about the daughter not waking up when the other one is screaming not making any sense, the affairs, the "dumb *advertiser censored**" comment from the realtor, the call to the realtor saying help me find somewhere to live, the mess with bugs in the house and his yellow pillow with bed bugs and then major cleaning and laundry the DAY she goes missing when he never lifted a finger in that house before then, the garage mysteriously being super cleaned out on one side, being mean to his sister in law when she was only trying to help take care of the kids, not looking any friends or family in the eyes when she went missing, the deposition lies, cutting her off from money and hiding passports, not getting a divorce attorney when she already gave him a separation agreement to respond to, reading all her emails from April -July, having the ability to stage a phone call to himself for an alibi on the day his wife happens to go missing and he just happens to be heading to the grocery store to buy tide when she uses All and juice his daughter doesn't even drink.

But no he is not guilty, the passive aggressive behavior of him spackling the walls AFTER she painted them so they could get out of that house and move on with their lives is totally innocent behavior for someone who would never strangle his wife and throw her in a ditch so he wouldn't have to deal with having to give her thousands every month and go back to living in an apartment and losing his status as an iron man computer nerd.

There is more.. but I am getting carpal tunnel over here..

See, a lot of what you have listed has been testified as untrue. It's difficult to see what is factual and not in this trial because of the history of lies with both spouses. The realtor did not testify he heard BC call NC a dumbf***. I think he was asked if he ever heard cursing and he said no (you wouldn't forget a client calling his spouse that name!), the exterminator said there were no bugs (other than ants) and the house looked as messy and dishevled as it always did; she wasn't cut off from money. she was cut off from over-spending. Geez, I would LOVE to have $300 a week to blow. It would be my dream. They had a BJs receipt showing she used Tide frequently and a friend of NCs (or sister?) said the oldest kid did drink that green juice.

Now, he was a horrible husband and his cleaning like a freak is curious. I am giving him a pass on the phone calls because there has been NO evidence he tampered with the phone. And even the intercepted emails. Sure, I'd be pi$$ed if my husband did it, but I don't think he's the only spouse who has done that during a divorce. You do hear about it.

I know it's hard, but try for a minute to put yourself in his place. You recently admitted to your spouse that you did have an affair...he/she told their parents all the details. The marriage gets tense, talk of separation and divorce are happening. Imagine how ashamed and embarrassed you would feel facing them, knowing you hurt their child (from the affair) and that they trusted you? And then they turn up missing? I don't know that I would be able to make that phone call either.

Perhaps, I'm thankful I've never been put in that situation. But because he never hesitated to call them when he needed financial help just makes it nasty that he never called after Nancy went missing--not even after they arrived locally.
My dad died when I was 9 and my mother was a no-nonsense person. Her manta was 'you've made your bed, now lay in it'....even when I was a child--about everything. I have never received help from anybody, nor asked for any. I suppose that's why their spending habits and lifestyle--and then asking for money on top of the generous monetary gift(s) from the Rentz's--just makes me mad.
I just don't think simple phone call was too much to ask, regardless of his embarrassment or guilt.

BBM with respect..I think Brad would do something like that because he likely Planted something on it..given his expert abilities, Brad thought it would appear to be something to exhonerate him....I truly think that Brad feels/felt far superior to anyone regarding Puter stuff..Unfortunately, when he locked it..it didnt get opened according to the instructions given by AT&T rep nor the prompts on the phone..So viola..Deleted data..Hummm wonder who researched how to Nuk Data when opened?? Testimony already heard??
Initially Brad maybe sought that info (nuking) for another purpose, but he did have that knowledge base to now program Nancys phone to delete data if opened..

Sorry, I understand that you truly believe Brad is Innocent..however, I Dont think Brad does or did anything unless it would benefit Brad...Maybe we can just agree to disagree..OK? :seeya: :)

Okay, BC was a technical guy, an engineer but no one is able to plant information on a cell phone. Everything is dated. To suggest that he could somehow modify the contents of a cell phone is just not reasonable and I don't think anyone would argue with that. This wasn't "Puter stuff".

Incompetent folks in the DA's office? Bad arrest? Jumping to conclusions? Lack of evidence? All of those make it a little relevant to me.

The cases are certainly mutually exclusive of each other, but honestly, the WCDA's office has been on a roll for a long time. It's been bound to get caught up in a scandal or two. I think the only real scandal here will be if that FBI guy and Det. Daniels parrot the rest of this debacle.

Willoughby is far from incompetent.
From what I have seen, CPD is not inept or corrupt.
Evidence? I've seen a ton of CE and expect to see more next week with the grand finale of the state's case.

BTW, what cases have they prosecuted that were bogus in the last 15 years?

Perhaps, I'm thankful I've never been put in that situation. But because he never hesitated to call them when he needed financial help just makes it nasty that he never called after Nancy went missing--not even after they arrived locally.
My dad died when I was 9 and my mother was a no-nonsense person. Her manta was 'you've made your bed, now lay in it'....even when I was a child--about everything. I have never received help from anybody, nor asked for any. I suppose that's why their spending habits and lifestyle--and then asking for money on top of the generous monetary gift(s) from the Rentz's--just makes me mad.
I just don't think simple phone call was too much to ask, regardless of his embarrassment or guilt.

By the same token, they could have reached out to him too.

I was under the impression it was always Nancy asking for the financial help, not him. Maybe I got that wrong.

I agree Kurtz is a good lawyer (as long as his annoying tactics and delivery don't work against his client with the Judge)

Yes, a "flawed legal system" involving past cases w/ the SBI is real.
But, like Duke Lacrosse you mentioned earlier, how is that relevant in this case:waitasec:
Do you subscribe to the N&O by chance?

I am tired, can't remember the crime lab guy who lost his job when the mess came out a couple of months ago. But his testimony in the Michael Peterson trial was good and I thought he did an excellent job with that case.
I worked in law enforcement in my 'past' life and things were much simpler and easier back then. I would hate to think that corruption is rampant in much of our LE and legal system but I'm sure there is more of it than I want to realize.
With the Duke Lacrosse case--I never for one tiny moment thought those boys were guilty. Never. So happy that case had a good ending but I have wondered had the boys' families not been rather wealthy and had not hired the best lawyers available what the outcome would have been.

I was under the impression it was always Nancy asking for the financial help, not him. Maybe I got that wrong.

I think yesterday when the dad was testifying, he said BC called with the financial requests, which I found extremely interesting? I can't imagine ever calling my inlaws for $ (or my parents for that matter).

I think we don't necessarily think he is Innocent per say, more like either A) not guilty or B) gonna walk.

We all got here okay though, so I think most of us are cool with the back and forth. Thanks for your posts, btw, LL. You too, SS.

Ok, that statement makes far more sense.
Some of your earlier posts today had me wondering WTH.....

I may be wrong but even if it were Nancy asking, the money was going to benefit Brad as well. I'm not talking about the separation/divorce money she needed. It's my understanding that throughout their marriage the Rentz's helped out when asked.

Ok, I'm calling it a day.
I am growing very fond of you guys--even the Brad didn't do it folks!

Yes, a "flawed legal system" involving past cases w/ the SBI is real.
Do you subscribe to the N&O by chance?

LOL, no I do not get the N&O anymore. I only get my news online now.

I brought up the Duke Lacrosse case to point out that innocent people can and do get wrongfully brought up on charges. And in that case, evidence was tampered with, and with the Cooper case, there are some questionable actions too. More will come out when defense is up, I'm sure.

I think yesterday when the dad was testifying, he said BC called with the financial requests, which I found extremely interesting? I can't imagine ever calling my inlaws for $ (or my parents for that matter).

I didn't hear that. No. I would never do that! I would never ask my own parents for money either. Never, never, never. I was raised that way.

Evidence? I've seen a ton of CE and expect to see more next week with the grand finale of the state's case.

Not saying Willoughby was incompetent. Just said DA's office. I think a lot goes on there that he thinks is one thing and finds out later it's another in general.

CPD would better be described as ill-equipped, which is why I thought WCSO would be more involved.

I am with you on the evidence. I am waiting right beside you.

Also, I was saying that HAD NOT had any major bogus high-profile cases. In the last 15 years, you think EVERY case that has gone before a Grand Jury was legit? I don't think it would be a system if that were the case.

IIRC, Mr Rentz finally told Brad they needed to start solving their own financial problems.

Can we talk about Nancy's erased Blackberry?

BC sent a letter to police requesting that they handle the phone carefully. He and his attorneys really wanted to know what was on that phone. It would have shown information about who she was recently in contact with and possibly supplied some leads in this case.

(The judge did not accept the letter into evidence. I don't understand the reason for that.)

Why, if he was guilty, would he have taken the risk that there could have been something incriminating on that phone? He had nothing to hide. He wanted that information from the phone. I don't trust that CPD deleted all the contents "accidentally". This is why Kurtz mentions the corruption, IMO. The police should have sent the phone to the FBI for analysis, especially since they had no idea how to even unlock it.

IF BC is guilty, why was he trying to retrieve the data from that phone?

He would have had a pretty good idea what was on that phone. He could go online and look at the account and see when she had text messages and calls, who they were to and from, the times, the dates and the durations. The only thing he would not have had were the actual text messages but he would not have had the voice conversations either whether the phone was erased or not. The email wouldn't have mattered because he was already getting all of those apparently. So he already has all the information necessary to find out who she was in contact with recently. MOO

BBM with respect..I think Brad would do something like that because he likely Planted something on it..given his expert abilities, Brad thought it would appear to be something to exhonerate him....I truly think that Brad feels/felt far superior to anyone regarding Puter stuff..Unfortunately, when he locked it..it didnt get opened according to the instructions given by AT&T rep nor the prompts on the phone..So viola..Deleted data..Hummm wonder who researched how to Nuk Data when opened?? Testimony already heard??
Initially Brad maybe sought that info (nuking) for another purpose, but he did have that knowledge base to now program Nancys phone to delete data if opened..

Sorry, I understand that you truly believe Brad is Innocent..however, I Dont think Brad does or did anything unless it would benefit Brad...Maybe we can just agree to disagree..OK? :seeya: :)

BBM

I know I've mentioned Googling about inputting the wrong password on a BB before. It is easy to find information on various blackberry forums that inputting incorrect password 10 times will wipe the phone. I found forum posts pre-dating this case with this same information. And, when I looked up the PUK code information (again, a Google search), it said that was used if the SIM card was locked, not when it was locked due to password.

Perhaps AT&T gave Det. Young incorrect information and instructions on how to open the phone. The phone behaved correctly when that password was miskeyed 10 times. It gave the proper warnings (according the Young's testimony) and then the wipe of the phone commenced.

Okay, BC was a technical guy, an engineer but no one is able to plant information on a cell phone. Everything is dated. To suggest that he could somehow modify the contents of a cell phone is just not reasonable and I don't think anyone would argue with that. This wasn't "Puter stuff".

Correct me IF I am wrong..IF he could copy and transfer her emails to his email server..THEN what would stop him from copy and transfering emails back to her server?..Im not one of the geeks..But is seems to me when you enable transfers of things..It has to be a 2 way street?...Anyone puter savy here to correct me??.... I have come to distrust what Brad did..much like Nancy felt..paranoid as she was going back to Jan/February 2008:waitasec:..BUT with Brads syndicated abilities soley a Cisco ability as not Public yet...I am sure he took advantage..but again..we will see what gets testified to..At this point we dont know one way or the other yet....:waitasec:

I am just going by a gut sense, using life experiences (some personal some associative)..to GET IT when something just isnt right..LOL

We already know Brad was able to phone France or get a phone cal from France and it would appear to be local call..then whats to stop him from doing so much more??..Im only questioning..Thats all...

How do your explain the handling of the cell phones, two of them?

How do you explain their delay in having the bugs analyzed by 2 weeks?

How do you explain them not trying to retrieve DNA evidence on the cigarette butt for one year?

How do you explain the verbal testimony months after the fact from a police officer claiming to see a piece of straw on 7/16? No photos, no discussion with his superior, nothing.

No follow up with witnesses who saw the victim that morning?

No follow up with JP, even though in the 2nd interview he admitted he slept with NC....shouldn't he have become a suspect?

You don't have to reply and I'm not trying to put you on the spot, but I do see some very questionable things here.

He would have had a pretty good idea what was on that phone. He could go online and look at the account and see when she had text messages and calls, who they were to and from, the times, the dates and the durations. The only thing he would not have had were the actual text messages but he would not have had the voice conversations either whether the phone was erased or not. The email wouldn't have mattered because he was already getting all of those apparently. So he already has all the information necessary to find out who she was in contact with recently. MOO

Well done, Cheyenne130.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member