State v Bradley Cooper 04-18-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I listened to JA's phone call. She sounded like a worried friend who wasn't sure if something happened to her friend or not. She answered questions posed by the female police officer on the other end--the person staffing the non-emergency police number. The computer report typed up and sent out to dispatch did not say anything about death or murder or anything beyond missing person, worried friend. I was in court that day so I heard the testimony. This JA pointing finger baloney came from little K's mouth, not from testimony.

You might want to listen to the call again. Here's the link.

http://www.wral.com/specialreports/nancycooper/video/9273562/#/vid9273562

First of all, it sounds like a male officer that initially interviewed JA on the phone. (Otherwise, there is a serious glandular problem, but that's another issue...) Then the call was handed over to a female dispatcher. Around the 10 minute mark, JA tells the interviewer that she and HP are both very worried that her husband may have done something. She described HP as hysterical. If that information was NOT passed along to LE early on in the investigation, someone dropped the ball. (I don't believe they did drop the ball--I believe that LE knew from the beginning that her friends thought BC did something to her. For them to suggest otherwise, or that they were never suspicious of BC the first day is ridiculous.)

You're right in context and pretense, but still. It was dishonest to present it in a way that his attorneys approve it, he STILL loses his kids and we get to watch it in a criminal trial. Alice Stubbs was not as innocent as she seemed in all of that. She was a WC judge, for crying out loud. She had every intention of doing exactly what she did, which is present an interrogatory interview.

Which just makes his attorneys appear that much more inept. He did himself no favors in subjecting himself to that deposition. He did not come off as a loving father. He came off as a robot programmed by someone with no heart. I didn't watch the whole thing but in what I did watch, he came across as a person who didn't really care one way or the other. MOO

I'm completely missing how Stubbs talking to the DA, if she did, or LEO, if she did, before the depo was improper in any way at all. If brad killed his wife that would be very relevant to a custody hearing, obviously.

Did she testify under oath she didn't but people think she did so it's perjury?

I'm missing the point apparently.

Brad had his lawyers with him and he knew the theme of the matter was he was likely a murderer and yet he proceeded to answer questions, untruthfully, with his lawyers there having no problem with it. Is the sin that Stubbs consulted all possible sources to make her case for custody for her clients? I just don't see the problem.

Criminals are not promised they won't be asked questions. They have the right to refuse to answer and the right to counsel and that's it. There is no promise they won't get asked hard questions by a fairly well prepared lawyer in a civil matter.

Detective Daniels testified under oath that she had not talked to them (LE) before the depo. I have a very hard time believing that is true, based on the questions. (I never said I felt sorry for Brad that he was busted in the depo, BTW.) :)

Brad had his lawyers with him and he knew the theme of the matter was he was likely a murderer and yet he proceeded to answer questions
Right. The judge in the custody case said that if the police hadn't charged anyone by the time she had to rule, she was going to make the call on whether Brad was guilty or not.
District Judge Debra Sasser, who is presiding over the custody case, said during a motions hearing last week that if no one is charged in the case before the custody hearing, she would have to make the determination whether Brad Cooper was involved – a critical factor in deciding whether the children would be safe, she said.
Link.

You're right in context and pretense, but still. It was dishonest to present it in a way that his attorneys approve it, he STILL loses his kids and we get to watch it in a criminal trial. Alice Stubbs was not as innocent as she seemed in all of that. She was a WC judge, for crying out loud. She had every intention of doing exactly what she did, which is present an interrogatory interview.

If he HAD taken the fifth, everyone would be sitting here saying GUILTY.

If he HAD ignored the subpoena, everyone would be sitting here saying GUILTY.

He showed up, answered her questions and everyone is sitting here saying GUILTY.

He's damned no matter how you look at that.

That's 'cause, he's guilty!

Which just makes his attorneys appear that much more inept. He did himself no favors in subjecting himself to that deposition. He did not come off as a loving father. He came off as a robot programmed by someone with no heart. I didn't watch the whole thing but in what I did watch, he came across as a person who didn't really care one way or the other. MOO

He came off as defiant to me. The look on his face, the jut of his chin...

During the deposition BC's attorney objected many many times in the depo...and the next words out the attorney's mouth was that he could answer the question. They could have saved him at that deposition so many times and they did not do that.

I never had a case exactly like this one with the timing of the custody hearing, but it was fairly regular for us to have civil matter considerations (3rd party liability for defendants actions or some insurance) and we would certainly talk to the DA as the case progressed. Usually though the civil matter came second.

Bottom line the DA can talk to counsel for anybody and they often do.

In Forsyth County I represented the Winston PD, the city and also sometimes volunteered to help the DA's office prepare cases involving child abuse. It just was totally regular to talk to the da about cases, talk to defense about cases, etc., etc. But not, however, any judge.

If we had a defendant (only white collar where I worked) we absolutely would head over to the DA's office to talk things over. Communication would go in every direction usually.

Agree he could have taken the fifth but he didn't and they didn't advise him to on the record. Maybe wise maybe not but I see no problem with stubbs consulting any or all sources to get the best depo she could.

Would have been nice if she had of asked some questions about carrying for the kids and NC's murder since it was a custody hearing for them.

COOPER-0416_GOL2J75541COOPER10-NE-041511-TELJPGembeddedprod_affiliate156.jpg

Better get me off AHole

Would have been nice if she had of asked some questions about carrying for the kids and NC's murder since it was a custody hearing for them.

Nice? Her job was to win custody for her clients and she got the job done. She had a window of time to show brad was a liar who likely killed his wife and she worked with it.

Her job was not to respect or protect brad. He had his own lawyers for that.

How was he supposed to come off as a loving father when 99% of the questions were about NCs murder?

I never had a case exactly like this one with the timing of the custody hearing, but it was fairly regular for us to have civil matter considerations (3rd party liability for defendants actions or some insurance) and we would certainly talk to the DA as the case progressed. Usually though the civil matter came second.

Bottom line the DA can talk to counsel for anybody and they often do.

In Forsyth County I represented the Winston PD, the city and also sometimes volunteered to help the DA's office prepare cases involving child abuse. It just was totally regular to talk to the da about cases, talk to defense about cases, etc., etc. But not, however, any judge.

If we had a defendant (only white collar where I worked) we absolutely would head over to the DA's office to talk things over. Communication would go in every direction usually.

Absolutely. I'm not saying that it was improper for AS to talk to CPD (I don't know the laws about that). I'm saying that it sure sounds like they conferred before the depo, and Daniels testified that they did not. :waitasec:

He had to write down what their favorite things were. I watch two grandchildren two days a week and I don't have to write down their favorite things. Ask me. I can tell you in a heartbeat.

Allowing Brad to be co-counsel is one of the biggest mistakes they are making. He's not in a position to see things clearly. MOO

I'm not at the trial but I will relay this. If I had a client I was worried about making look sympathetic at trial, I would prepare them for the fact that I would "consult" with them at times. I wanted them to stay engaged and demonstrate with me and with family/friends in the courtroom courtesy, respect and the appearance of close respectful relationships. You are always testifying at trial on the stand or not!

So maybe Kurtz likes the guy and wants his advice or maybe he wants it to look like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blondeboricua