GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a thought on the master key- do we know exactly how many of those apartments are currently vacant? If only 3 have been searched, would their not be a possibility that McD knew which ones were empty and more readily accessible? Or perhaps offered more privacy to lure someone in to commit a crime?

I have a question. IF they found more body parts either in the trash or inside the apartment AFTER they have done the initial search and arrested McD, then WHO placed them there? I am going by the report of smelling something in the trash yesterday, and the new search yesterday.

Do you mean the report I made about the smell in the cans by Lauren's apartment? I honestly feel like it was a dead rat, it smelled like a dead rat, very much so, but I had to report it anyway because I couldn't dig through the garbage there were people around watching me that whole day because I was walking around the complex photographing spots that may have seemed odd to them, lol. No one told me to leave but they just stared at me looking confused. One of Lauren's friends came to leave something at the memorial area right as I smelled the odor so the most I could do was try to isolate which can it was by smell. Whatever it was it was buried beneath a lot of furniture items that were being thrown out. I'm almost certain it was a rat or something.

The report of the master key in SMD's apartment confirms what I've always assumed -- that SMD had a way to enter all apartments in the complex. The reported statement that the apartments from which he stole the condoms during the Dec/Jan holiday law school break two years ago were "unlocked" doesn't make sense. Who would leave for weeks and leave their apartments unlocked? That statement must've been SMD's trying to avoid having his entry considered "breaking" so it would not be a burglary felony, but some lesser offense.

SMD did not succeed in avoiding burglary charges, even if the police believed his open door statement (unlikely), because the law in Georgia does not require a physical breaking in or fraudulent entry (as with a stolen passkey?), but is satisfied by any entry without permission. See Ga statute below from Burglary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia --

Georgia
A person commits the offense of burglary when, without authority and with the intent to commit a felony or theft therein, he enters or remains within the dwelling house of another or any building, vehicle, railroad car, watercraft, or other such structure designed for use as the dwelling of another or enters or remains within any other building, railroad car, aircraft, or any room or any part thereof. A person convicted of the offense of burglary, for the first such offense, shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than 20 years. For the purposes of this Code section, the term "railroad car" shall also include trailers on flatcars, containers on flatcars, trailers on railroad property, or containers on railroad property. O.C.G.A. § 16-7-1

One would hope that a person studying for the Georgia bar would know that, but perhaps SMD had other things on his mind on the day criminal law was covered during the bar review course?

Also, I will say it's hot as blue blazes and humid as all get out here right now, I think all trash cans stink today. (Not to question the judgement of Angel's ole factory senses!)

It was distinctly the smell of a dead thing in one can, the others smelled distinctly of garbage. Man I feel like Jeff Ashton right now, lol.
But yeah I don't think it was a body part it's just that because it was buried beneath so much crap and I couldn't get to it and I felt like I should call just to be prudent. If I had my way I'd have sorted through all that garbage but I had enough people giving me weird looks for crouching down in the wooded area photographing piles of dirt and debris for an hour, lol.

Someone else mentioned that the photos didn't show the cans, I know. Sadly, just as I was going to photograph them, some loved ones of Lauren's showed up and the looks on their faces deterred me. They looked distraught, broken, and very curious/concerned about what I was doing so I stopped. They left after leaving a bouquet but by then there were more people coming and going and I was afraid they'd think I was some kind of sick murder tourist, hence why I went at midnight the night prior to that. I'll tell you, that place is creepy at night. There are so many roaches skittering across the lot and there just isn't anyone around. It would have been so easy to get away with murder at night in that apartment complex.

Re: only 3 apts having been searched.. I will have to search for a link(know for certain it is in 1 of the 2 LG's threads).. The apt manager goes on record with the exact number of apts in the complex and states that nearly every apt has been searched by LE..

HTH :)

It was distinctly the smell of a dead thing in one can, the others smelled distinctly of garbage. Man I feel like Jeff Ashton right now, lol.
But yeah I don't think it was a body part it's just that because it was buried beneath so much crap and I couldn't get to it and I felt like I should call just to be prudent. If I had my way I'd have sorted through all that garbage but I had enough people giving me weird looks for crouching down in the wooded area photographing piles of dirt and debris for an hour, lol.

Someone else mentioned that the photos didn't show the cans, I know. Sadly, just as I was going to photograph them, some loved ones of Lauren's showed up and the looks on their faces deterred me. They looked distraught, broken, and very curious/concerned about what I was doing so I stopped. They left after leaving a bouquet but by then there were more people coming and going and I was afraid they'd think I was some kind of sick murder tourist, hence why I went at midnight the night prior to that. I'll tell you, that place is creepy at night. There are so many roaches skittering across the lot and there just isn't anyone around. It would have been so easy to get away with murder at night in that apartment complex.

Thanks for your work and info!

O/T: I know that you have a Tumblr, which I am trying to make for myself. Did you have any problem with the "verification" that they sent to your e-mail when they first signed up? So far I have asked them to resend it 4 times, and I haven't received a single one.

I believe the reason for the additional search was because the FBI found something of interest (out of the 74 submitted articles), and had very specific requests for what to search for in McD's apartment.

Burns said they had not recieved the report/package but had been exchanging emails. I think that is what the emails were about. IMO it's clear the FBI/LE have something of interest (re: McD) they're not sharing, yet.

Also, I find it very telling that right here before his bond hearing, we have another delay.

I had wondered about the religious thing too. I wonder if ever McD heard something through those thin apartment walls that he didn't like, or that he didn't think was proper. Particularly considering her devout mass attendance. (Please understand I am not implying that LG was improper or promiscuous at all, just that these are modern times and as stated before virginity is fairly uncommon at her's and McD's age)

Hmm, it's possible he did formulate some concept of her that was initially quite idealized and then as time went on, as they were neighbors for a while, he learned more that conflicted with that fantasy of her and prompted a rage or jealousy in him. All in his head. He also wanted to get her before she was gone forever. He was running out of time, he wanted to keep her. I really believe that. I still believe there were cannibalistic elements to this crime, paraphiliac anthropophagy is the result of a person getting the wires between sex, consumption, and attachment crossed. Dahmer killed and ate his victims in order to feel like they stayed with him, stayed a part of him. It was a way of maintaining intimacy and closeness for him, as sick as that sounds. :twocents:

Thanks for your work and info!

O/T: I know that you have a Tumblr, which I am trying to make for myself. Did you have any problem with the "verification" that they sent to your e-mail when they first signed up? So far I have asked them to resend it 4 times, and I haven't received a single one.

I think my verification email showed up pretty instantly, I used gmail, what about you?

Oh and I'm not sure that it was you who asked but in regards to my Tumblr photos and the location of the trash cans, to the left of the building right next to the apartment beneath Lauren's.

McD and Lauren lived right next to each other, they basically shared a balcony...they must have seen so much of each other every day.

Hi Angelanalyzes! Again thanks so much for taking the time to travel to Macon and be the eyes and ears on the scene for those of us in other parts not able to be there in Macon.. Your pictures help in a tremendous way that you probably do not even realize.. They being of relevant and important areas of interest truly give us, those unable to be there, an accurate and image of reference for what the layout, size, and terrain of Barristers Hall and it's surrounding areas.. It is a tremendous asset so thanks to you for your taking the time to photograph, load, and upload for us all to be Able to view..

As for the smell and the call that resulted in their dispatching officers to, I assume check the trashcans there in the immediate vicinity.. I know you has stated that you were unable to wait for the officers but by chance were you ever given any confirmation either way of the smell actually being indicative of
"something" or not??...

One other question.. My curiosity was piqued and I have been meaning to ask but have always gotten sidetracked.. Just now in revisiting your tumblr blog to view your photos I, again was reminded of what had originally piqued my curiosity.. So before I am again sidetracked a d forget to ask.. Might you share any of the info that the local that contacted you thru your blog has shared with you? Sorry if it comes across as being nosy, but moreso as I said my curiosity piqued especially by your response to the local stating that if in fact true that you were stunned at whatever the local had shared with you..(of course you can always just tell me to butt out and mind my own business..lol.. But definitely had to atleast ask..)

I believe that it is within TOS rules that as long as it is stated as such(i.e. That the info is not confirmed therefor a rumor)that the info is allowed to be shared(of course, only if you wish to do so)granted it is stated as a rumor and treated as such.. (bessie.. Please correct me if I am wrong or mistaken of my understanding of the rules pertaining to a "rumor")..

Again thanks so much for sharing your photos and being a very active, positive, as well as knowledgable member with posts that really are of substance and help us in having adult discussions about the real possibilities of what has happened to this beautiful 27 year old young woman whose life has been needlessly lost and robbed of her future as well as stolen from the arms and hearts of the so very many loved one's that Lauren has...

I am so sorry I haven't uploaded the rest of them yet, it has been a hectic few days as I'm not home, I'm still out of town and extremely busy. I had wanted to do a new write up by now.
I did upload the ones I felt were most pertinent but there are many more, I'm getting to it now.
Unfortunately they did not contact me to let me know if anything was discovered after I made the call, I'm assuming it was nothing. I could call back and ask but considering it is an open investigation I'd think if they did find something they wouldn't be able to comment. I'll call anyway just to see, because if it was a dead animal I'm sure they'll tell me. They have my number and name on record so they'll know I was the person who called it in.
As for the tips I was given, our own poster Lomaker is my original source. He was having trouble making an account here so before he registered he was sharing the information he had heard from local sources with me. He in no way claims any of the following is fact, but since he told me several days ago much of the information has been confirmed by the press days to a week after he initially gave me this information:
-McD had a master key to the apartments
-There was a freezer in the downstairs apartment that may have contained body parts and McD's hair or what is believed to be his hair/DNA was found tying him to the freezer.
-McD had a machete collection
-Police are really waiting to have a 100% iron clad smoking gun before they declare McD to be THE suspect officially

Another source from Macon emailed me several days ago and informed me that the items McD stole were condoms, long before the press reported on it. He also said that the reason cops began that line of inquiry with McD about where he got the condoms and why is that McD told them he was a virgin [but we don't know why he said that, probably over-sharing again]. I believe that is accurate due to the fact that the condom bit was confirmed.

I uploaded some more photos here: http://angelanalyzes.tumblr.com/

So frustrating not to have more time to do a proper write up with good explanatory captions! I will soon. Thanks for the kind words, I'm just trying to make sense of something senseless like the rest of us here :)

I, too, was puzzled about the possible involvement of the tenant in Apt 1. But, now that I think of it, it's possible that the tenant had already found a job after graduating and may have even lived several hours away. So, perhaps that person planned to return on the weekend to finish moving. If the tenant in Apt 1 was in town during the murder, the perp (e.g., McD) could have moved the body parts after the tenant left town. But, the perp would have to know that the former tenant wouldn't return for several days. He (the perp) may have stored the body parts in the fridge in Apt 1 and disposed of them one by one with the thought that he could be rid of every piece of evidence by Thurs when garbage was collected, and before the former tenant in Apt 1 returned. I definitely don't believe the perp would've stored body parts in that fridge knowing that someone was returning. Even if the tenant had already cleaned out the fridge, I'm sure they would double-check it and everything else before leaving permanently (I know I would).

BTW...in post # 160, I meant to say that the apartments didn't need to be unlocked for McD to enter if he had the master keys.

It definitely sounds like they're just waiting to put the final nail in McD's proverbial coffin with the forensic evidence. The release of the most recent info is tying everything together pretty clearly I think. And what an amazing group here who have been so bang-on in so much of the info provided!! I'm glad we finally know that he was not authorized to have that master key. I'd posted previously questioning how he came to possess it because it was really nagging at me.

Seems to make a lot of sense that he accessed Lauren's apartment and that's where the attack took place. Would also explain why the lady below him didn't hear any struggle. I know NOTHING about dismembering people or animals, but I have to believe he was intelligent enough to make sure there wasn't noise to make his downstairs neighbour suspicious OR to use another unit to carry out that part of the crime.

Very interesting to hear Angel and Lomaker's info about LE possibly having McD's hair/DNA on the fridge in the apartment under LG. And I'm still interested in knowing if the rumours of multiple victims has any truth.

God, can you imagine that thing sneaking around with a master key. Knowing all of your private stuff.

Gives me the heebs........

OH WOW!

If true.............or even if not.........I also have a feeling that there was some necrophilia posssibly involved.

Agreed. I don't want to be too graphic here but in cases involving necrophilia, beheading serves a purpose, as does the removal of limbs. I think it's necessary to point that out because we are all wondering why the heck someone would dismember a body just to dump it somewhere it's sure to be identified immediately. It would be one thing if the body was dismembered and left at the scene, but to keep the body in that state for days on end and dump it in a rush once the cops come around...it's because you're doing something with that body. In horror movies it might seem normal for a killer to just leave the dismembered remains of his victims around wherever, but in real life it just doesn't happen that way. If they are kept they are kept for a reason.

Just a thought on the master key- do we know exactly how many of those apartments are currently vacant? If only 3 have been searched, would their not be a possibility that McD knew which ones were empty and more readily accessible? Or perhaps offered more privacy to lure someone in to commit a crime?

I can say with relative confidence that the majority of the apartments are vacant. There were 3 cars max in the lot at midnight, the next day 2 other than my own. I noticed that they are leaving lights on in the vacant apartments at night now.

I have to try and find the story again. I think it was from Gather which as we all know needs to be taken with a tennis ball size grain of salt; The story said the "other" person of interest was the friend who reported Lauren missing. It makes sense that LE would want to clear the person who reported her missing. I don't think the other POI is the downstairs neighbor who moved out.

ETA: Speaks about the second POI ... http://abovethelaw.com/2011/07/an-update-on-a-mercer-law-students-untimely-death/#more-81948

Something else I am trying to make sense of-

Boni Bush, one of the building’s owners, said she went into Giddings’ apartment Wednesday after Giddings had failed to return messages asking about her plans to move out.

Nothing seemed out of place, but Giddings’ belongings also hadn’t been packed, Bush said.

A friend of Giddings’ called Bush about 3 a.m. Thursday after finding a note that Bush had left on Giddings’ door with Bush’s phone number.

McDaniel, the apartment neighbor, said he had joined a group of Giddings’ friends early Thursday searching for her. After finding no sign of her at her apartment, the group checked at the law school, but she was not there. “She was just gone,” he said.

http://news.vivasoft.hu/the-news/186893-police-.html?quot;pretty-sure=%22-unidentified-body-is-that-of-mercer-grad=
The report says BB is a owner which is a misquote, she is the property manager I believe.

What did McD do with the torso between Saturday Night and Thursday morning when it was discovered? It was stored somewhere, LE seems to think it may have been in that vacant apartment refrigerator. Pretty gutsy, as the tenant was not fully moved out yet. But maybe McD had knowledge that the person was out of town and would not be back until a certain day. The only other place that would make sense is in his own refrigerator?

BB was nosing around Lauren's apartment on Wednesday and left a note. Did that make McD nervous? The friends also show up Wednesday around midnight. McD helps them search until the wee hours of the morning. Is it possible that the torso was in the garbage can Wednesday night but the odor was not as bad as it was Thursday morning? Maybe the wind was blowing the wrong direction and no one actually walked around in that side area? Or did McD move the torso between the time everyone left and the arrival of Macon PD Thursday morning.

I have to try and find the story again. I think it was from Gather which as we all know needs to be taken with a tennis ball size grain of salt; The story said the "other" person of interest was the friend who reported Lauren missing. It makes sense that LE would want to clear the person who reported her missing. I don't think the other POI is the downstairs neighbor who moved out.

Something else I am trying to put together ...

The report says BB is a owner which is a misquote, she is the property manager I believe.

What did McD do with the torso between Saturday Night and Thursday morning when it was discovered? It was stored somewhere, LE seems to think it may have been in that vacant apartment refrigerator. Pretty gutsy, as the tenant was not fully moved out yet. But maybe McD had knowledge that the person was out of town and would not be back until a certain day. The only other place that would make sense is in his own refrigerator?

BB was nosing around Lauren's apartment on Wednesday and left a note. Did that make McD nervous? The friends also show up Wednesday around midnight. McD helps them search until the wee hours of the morning. Is it possible that the torso was in the garbage can Wednesday night but the odor was not as bad as it was Thursday morning? Maybe the wind was blowing the wrong direction and no one actually walked around in that side area? Or did McD move the torso between the time everyone left and the arrival of Macon PD Thursday morning.

That's another thing that bugs me! I've asked it before, but I would love to know how McD got involved in the search when her friends came by? Did he just pop his head out his front door at midnight to ask what they were doing? I think he must have completely inserted himself into their "search". I wish I knew what kind of statements he was making to her friends at that point.

If the downstairs neighbor could hear him playing a video game & hear him cursing and running, wouldn't you think she could hear him dismembering a body??? Wouldn't you need power tools for that??? (sorry to be so graphic)

You don't need power tools to dismember a body. If he took care of the machetes he collected like my cousin does with his 1 machete, you could almost shave with the blade. My cousin sharpens his machete [he and I both have always been big on collecting bladed weapons, weapons in general] to the point that it is razor sharp and can literally cut hair. The sharper a machete is, the more it will sever in one swing. If you swing a machete correctly, you make sure you aim the widened tip of the blade at your target, not the southern end of the blade shaft. If someone were listening it would sound at most like maybe someone was hammering something but most likely it wouldn't be a discernibly suspicious noise.
I spent a lot of time there, if there is anyone currently living under McD's apartment you sure wouldn't know it. What 66 year old woman isn't home around 1am? No cars were parked there...it didn't look like anyone lived there in the front apartments. Maybe she left?

If this is true, LE may be able to ID the killer through dental records plus any of the suspect's DNA found on the torso. At the least, dental records could bolster their case against a suspect in light of other incriminating evidence.

I have heard that part of the evidence they sent to the FBI was of a forensic nature recovered from the body so maybe.

That's another thing that bugs me! I've asked it before, but I would love to know how McD got involved in the search when her friends came by? Did he just pop his head out his front door at midnight to ask what they were doing? I think he must have completely inserted himself into their "search". I wish I knew what kind of statements he was making to her friends at that point.

If he is guilty and knew eventually people would be looking for her it would be easy for him to interject himself into their search under the guise of the worried neighbor (much like the way he comes across in the interviews where he goes on and on about how he could've helped her if only he'd known).

He would probably have heard voices and people milling around outside her apt (their front doors are very close in proximity) and could have popped out with any number of responses to immediately join them in their search.

He also would probably have seen the note left on her door by the landlady and known others would be looking for her shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member