"Killing Field" in League City, Texas- Calder Rd Cold Cases

Does anyone think serial killer and Texas death row inmate Anthony Allen Shore could be connected to any of the other 80's and 90's cases?

Does anyone think serial killer and Texas death row inmate Anthony Allen Shore could be connected to any of the other 80's and 90's cases?

Do you have information that you think shows a link to any of the other cases?

Do you have information that you think shows a link to any of the other cases?

http://www.crimezzz.net/serialkiller_news/S/SHORE_anthony_allen.php
(snipped)

Shore lived in League City until he was 13, which would have been in the mid-1970s, League City police said..He attended Clear Creek High School..League City Police questioned him in connection with the Calder Road Killings..In 1983, Heidi Villareal Fye, 23, was found dead in the fields off Calder Road. .The bodies of three more women were discovered in the same fields in the years to follow..The nude body of Laura Miller, 16, was found in the same fields in 1984. She had been sexually assaulted and strangled..On Feb. 2, 1986, the body of an unidentified young woman police call Jane Doe, was found in the fields. In 1991, the body of another young woman, called Janet Doe by police, was found in the same area..Fingernail scrapings from the unidentified woman known as Janet Doe were sent by League City Police to the same Dallas forensic lab that tested evidence from Houston..That investigation continues..

Other police agencies in the Bay Area also have been looking at Shore as a possible suspect in cases in their jurisdictions..Since 1971, at least 18 women have been abducted or murdered along a 50-mile stretch of Interstate 45 between Houston and Galveston, prompting many residents and a tabloid to nickname the portion of roadway "America's Highway to Hell.".According to the Texas Department of Public Safety's Web site, Shore has been a registered sex offender since January 1998, when he received eight years probation for the sexual assault of two family members, ages 11 and 13. Their specific relationship to him is unknown..All of the victims he is charged with killing were found in different locations in Houston.

Shore is currently charged with four counts of capital murder. The victims were killed between 1986 and 1995. ..September 26, 1986 - Laurie Lee Tremblay, 15, was found dead behind a restaurant in the 10600 block of Westheimer. ..April 16, 1992 - Maria Del Carmen Estrada, 21, was abducted as she walked to work from her apartment at 7200 Shadyvilla. Her body was found hours later in a parking lot of a business at 6707 Westview. ..October 19, 1993 - A girl, 14, was sexually assaulted in her home in the 1900 block of Portsmouth. She had come home from school to find the suspect in the kitchen. After assaulting her, the suspect fled and the girl survived. ..August 7, 1994 - Diana Rebollar, 9, was abducted in the 6600 block of North Main as she was returning home from a nearby convenience store. Her body was found at 1440 North Loop. She had been sexually assaulted. ..July 6, 1995 - Dana Sanchez, 16, was talking on a payphone at West Cavalcade at Airline. On July 14, her body was found on North View Park. This case was being investigated by the Harris County Sheriff's Department, which also has been involved in the overall investigation into the murders of the three other females. ..Shore was arrested last October after DNA evidence allegedly linked him to the Estrada case.

IK: Did Gibbons live on Echo Glen Drive? Is that why the map you provided (including the vacant lot off 59) began @ Echo?
There is another murder believed to be connected to the I-45 corrider with the victim found off Richey Rd (I think near Echo G)
I also remember the gal from the hotel that was murdered off I-45 between Spring and The Woodlands

IK: Did Gibbons live on Echo Glen Drive? Is that why the map you provided (including the vacant lot off 59) began @ Echo?
There is another murder believed to be connected to the I-45 corrider with the victim found off Richey Rd (I think near Echo G)
I also remember the gal from the hotel that was murdered off I-45 between Spring and The Woodlands

Yes, that's where his house was. The other place in Houston (the next freeway over) was the new property. The bottom of the map around I-45 spanning from Houston all the way to Galveston Island is basically littered with memorial spots.

Yes, and yes kind of. He was a man of means, and she was best friends with his daughter throughout high school. (Thus proving that he had a penchant for young girls, and had his eye on my mother since her early teens). Gibbons' daughter moved away to Hawaii after High School; my mother moved to England and got married briefly. However, after a divorce and in her late 20s, when Darlynn got 'stuck' financially, he would help her. So, it wasn't like they were in a relationship, but enough that I was around and we stayed at his home for extended periods of time, off and on.

Regarding the firearms: He kept two guns in his truck at all times, and a multitude at his home. Somehow, none were taken into evidence. So... either they weren't present during the search of Gibbons' home, or they weren't deemed relevant and were never considered evidence at all.

This man had an armament he openly kept around the house. He liked to control and to have women and children fear him. I know this firsthand; additionally, I witnessed him provoke Dana's little girl (around the same age as me), and attempt to run over Dana with a vehicle.

One of the reasons my mother stopped dealing with him is because she found out he had acted inappropriately with me by threatening me with his guns, leaving arms in common areas (kitchen counter near the bread primarily used by me), in areas primarily used by me (guest bathroom - placed a silver plated gun with a white handle on the floor directly under the toilet, and one in the guest bedroom), verbally abusing me, and telling me not to involve her with my complaints of his actions. ...Maybe she realized I was a little too young for him then, but was quickly growing into someone he would enjoy targeting/torturing?

Yes. And yes, for the most part. I don't think he was contacted until the body had been recovered. Either he was tipped off, or just knew (because of his HPD history) that SOP would be that his home would be searched, so immediately returned there to prepare.

I do not know her full name, but I might have a picture of her. She had long brown hair. She was a local, a Houstonian. As a 9 year old, I don't recall knowing anything about her being from elsewhere. I would remember this, because I was very interested in locations other than the one in which I lived. If she is still alive, I would be very interested in speaking with her (or even her daughter), as she would have information about my mother's killing. Plus, she got shot by the same guy...

The Hopper Rd property is in Houston, between Gibbons' home and the I-45 corridor. I believe there may be answers here, in regard to some missing women. According to tax records, he bought this property 07/1989 - two months before my mother's murder. The police asked my aunt and other people where he had property, so they could search for evidence. It was never searched because nobody knew of any land aside from his home and his ranch in the country. He never mentioned this land in my presence; I drove out there yesterday, and it is unbelievably close to the East-Tex Freeway, just off I-45. It is in a seedy neighborhood where nobody would care about someone dumping items in the early morning hours (if they were even awake to see that). He was in LE, so was accustomed to rising at 4am. There is a steep culvert between the narrow two lane road and the parcel of land, which would keep random people from wandering around... although there is also a fence installed at the perimeter of the land.

maps

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=149+East+Echo+Glen+Drive,+Houston,+TX&daddr=3000+Calder+Rd,+League+City,+TX+77539+to:5005+Hopper+Road,+Houston,+TX&hl=en&ll=29.673735,-95.254211&spn=0.72546,1.539459&sll=29.649869,-95.254211&sspn=0.725632,1.539459&geocode=FXavxwEdNGNQ-inlXT_h_8dAhjEyG0bW7L57FQ%3BFT6mwQEdqs1U-imfWIZ1A4NAhjE8twz9zdP4gw%3BFbntxwEdXplR-iknTFMITrdAhjEYZRqcDjF9zg&vpsrc=6&gl=us&mra=ls&t=h&z=10

maps

Thanks. Great information. If you think of more details, please post them!
The other home attacks and murders seemed similar to your mother's murder. Have you drawn any conclusions regarding those or do you see any similarities, connections, or have any insider knowledge regarding those?

tyia

I looked him up. He is on death row and has a mailing address to contact him!

He was mentioned in the Jon Benet Ramsey case.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36551

His MO does fit here and he could be a possibility. Without checking his dates of incarcerations and his whereabouts its hard to say but on face value he would fit some maybe all of the later murders. I'm not sure about those in the 1970's.

Wasn't he looked at in some of these cases?

Did anyone know there was a newly found body in Alvin shortly after Hurricane Ike? I didn't hear about this and I'm local!

I'd love to have some locals join in and tell us their thoughts. Things you have heard over the years. Insight into the area and the atmosphere during these abductions and murders.

With the lack of media response, we have to count on the locals for interesting tidbits.

Did anyone know there was a newly found body in Alvin shortly after Hurricane Ike? I didn't hear about this and I'm local!

I had not heard that. Where was the body located and has it been identified? I wondered how long until more bodies surfaced. I think there will be more.

I had not heard that. Where was the body located and has it been identified? I wonder how long until more bodies surfaced.

Found in Alvin, TX. Not sure about the circumstances or anything yet. I was asking so that I could know whether or not I needed to do further research on that.

REPOST

EquuSearch: A Recovery Team
11/1/2005

In September 1984, 16-year-old Laura vanished. Tim quickly went to the police department to file a missing persons report. But, his concerns about his daughter were quickly brushed aside. Police told Tim that his daughter had run away and that he just had to wait for her to call.

Then, Tim heard of some disturbing news. The remains of a young woman, Heidi Villareal Fye, were found five months before Laura disappeared near an abandoned oil field in League City, Texas. What astonished Tim was that Heidi had lived only four blocks from the Miller's home.

Seventeen months after Laura's disappearance, Tim received the news he had been dreading. Two bodies were found in the same abandoned oil field as Heidi Fye. One of those young women was identified as Tim's daughter, Laura. Two decades later, Laura's murder is stil unsolved, but Tim Miller is not a quitter

As more bodies began to be recovered LE was forced to realize these were not runaways and they were being located in more than one area. Different LE areas so it took a while for LE to realize the magntude of these murders.

By the time this began to be realized, the cases were cold. Evidence was lost in the weather. A daunting task for LE to step in an try to solve these murders.

The Texas Killing Fields is an American Tragedy..............these families deserve to know who murdered their loved ones. They deserve the truth!

http://www.amw.com/features/feature_story_detail.cfm?id=830&print=1

I did some research about a man named Roy Alan Stewart. During the times he actually wasn't incarcerated, there may be some cases previously unattributed to Stewart with which he could have been involved. The timeline isn't 100% clear (to me), but maybe I've just been reading a ton today. The link to the article is below. I didn't copy the information from the article; these are my words and my summary. Pages 4 & 9

ROY ALAN STEWART

Sexual assault, strangulation and dumping near bodies of water is his MO. If water isn't around, he finds farm areas and leaves them underneath overturned water troughs. He was known to carry his fishing poles, fishing license and toolkit with him, as an aid to provide alibi.

He had 9 arrests for sexual assault and intended sexual assault (as of the late 1970's); he killed two women in 1971, and another one in 1974 (all in Amarillo); He got out of his 99 year sentence by pleading guilty in exchange for 15 years + 1 day, and was in prison from 05/17/1975 to 09/08/1982. Shortly after his release, they began finding bodies again.

In 1988, a black woman's body was found on the border of Brazoria county near Highway 288 (which crosses I-45); due to the condition of her body, it was assumed there was a big fight/struggle prior to her death. Shortly thereafter, while under surveillance, he was pulled over in Houston while trolling an area frequented by 'ladies of the night' and his car was searched. HPD found that his windshield was broken, the dead woman's fingerprints were inside the car, and hair matching the victim's was present. Because of the search without a warrant, none of this evidence could be used.

In 1989, he was arrested for delivery of a controlled substance with a prostitute in Freeport, and was sentenced to 11 years and 5 days. He was back out of jail rather quickly though.

He was arrested again on 06/06/94 for aggravated kidnapping of a young prostitute he picked up in Bay City. He took her to his home in Brazosport, assaulted her, and tied her up but she escaped. He is eligible for parole in 2024.

http://thepolicenews.net/html/TPNMar11.pdf

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=2001_3345841

REPOST One of many confessions

Man's confession could solve `killing field' case
RUTH RENDON Staff
SAT 11/03/2001 Houston Chronicle, Section A, Page 1, 3 STAR Edition

LEAGUE CITY - A Texas prison inmate has confessed to killing as many as six women in Fort Bend and Galveston counties, including some at the infamous site here known as the "killing field," authorities said Friday.
Mark Roland Stallings, 34, has not yet been charged with any of the murders, however.

League City police Capt. Chris Reed said DNA tests will confirm whether Stallings was involved in any of the slayings of four women whose bodies were dumped in a field off Calder Road just west of Interstate 45 from 1983 to 1991.

"He confessed to multiple homicides. We don't know which ones at this time," Reed said. "We have an idea but we're not real sure because we haven't corroborated what he said."

Reed said Stallings gave police information that "was very believable." He said the inmate told officers that he once lived in a mobile home on the land near where the bodies were found and that he once worked for Robert Abel, who formerly operated Star Dust Trail Rides on the property.

Abel, 62, said Friday that he recalls Stallings working for his ranch operation but not the trail ride. He said he fired Stallings "because he was too dumb to even string fences."

League City police, who interviewed Stallings over a one-week period in mid-September, said it may take a month before lab results show whether his DNA sample matches evidence collected from the crime scenes.

Police discovered the body of the first murder victim - Heidi Villareal Fye, a 25-year-old waitress last seen alive in October 1983 - on the Calder Road property in April 1984. Laura Lynn Miller, 16, of League City, was reported missing in September 1984, and her body was found in February 1986.

While officers were investigating her death, the unidentified remains of a third woman were found.

In September 1991, horseback riders found the skeletal remains of still another unidentified woman.

Reed said Stallings is helping authorities identify at least one of those women, who have been dubbed Jane and Janet Doe.

Found in Alvin, TX. Not sure about the circumstances or anything yet. I was asking so that I could know whether or not I needed to do further research on that.

I don't believe this is a UID on our list. We probably need to check into this one and add her to our list.

REPOST

The Texas Killing Fields is an American Tragedy..............these families deserve to know who murdered their loved ones. They deserve the truth!

It is an American Tragedy. When I was a child and would tell anyone that my mom was murdered by a serial killer, they would just shake their heads at me. I became so embarrassed about it, I completely stopped talking about her death; ashamed and worried that I'd become the conspiracy theorist outcast, most of my current friends have no clue this is what happened to her. They only know that she died when I was young, and not to ask me to watch any gory movies.

A lot of people have no clue about how linked these deaths are, and don't realize the sheer quantity of people affected by the slaughter of women in this small corner of Texas.

I really hope that people will open up and start communicating about things they may know.

It is an American Tragedy. When I was a child and would tell anyone that my mom was murdered by a serial killer, they would just shake their heads at me. I became so embarrassed about it, I completely stopped talking about her death; ashamed and worried that I'd become the conspiracy theorist outcast, most of my current friends have no clue this is what happened to her. They only know that she died when I was young, and not to ask me to watch any gory movies.

A lot of people have no clue about how linked these deaths are, and don't realize the sheer quantity of people affected by the slaughter of women in this small corner of Texas.

I really hope that people will open up and start communicating about things they may know.

I'm very glad that you have decided to open up here and share your tragedy with us. I can't imagine what you have gone through. Its time! Its time to find the truth. Its time to be able to say Mom, I did my best and they found him.

Your Mom is proud of you and so am I! You are putting yourself out there for all these victims and I admire you for doing it!

If you're reading this and you were a friend of one of the victims, a neighbor, a relative please join us and share your knowledge. You might know more than you realize. Little tidbits from more than one place just might help to solve these murders.

Your thoughts and ideas can be very important. Fresh eyes!

I wish we had pictures of all the victims. That might shake a few memories. Many people remember faces but not names. ME! I think that would be very helpful in gathering more information. I haven't been able to get pictures from any sites.

Very limited information on the Web! Unbelievable!

I don't believe this is a UID on our list. We probably need to check into this one and add her to our list.

I'm working on the 1980's section now, but there are SO many that it's taking a while. I've got 21 right now in that decade, and steady finding little details about other missing or unidentified people in each article (not mentioned elsewhere). It's really sad that a lot of these people got swept under the rug, like my situation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quioxte221
Back