State vs. Jason Lynn Young 2-22-2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
And let's not forget CY's statements. "Mommy is getting *spanked*." Not *hit*, but spanked. Other people 'hit'. Mommy's & Daddy's 'spank'. "If you don't stop that right now, you are going to get a 'spanking'." "Do not 'hit' your brother." "No hitting." I've found children that age to be quite bright. CY strung her words together into sentences. And she used proper terms for things she said. "Mommy has boo boos all over." "Mommy needs a washcloth." When my twin grandsons were that same age, one of them was a bit of a whiner. So one day when I was watching them, and 'not in the mood for whining', I said 'Zack, grandma doesn't DO whining.' I said it in my *serious* no nonsense voice. The next time they were here and Zack started to whine about something, Nick, his brother, piped right up with 'Zack, grandma doesn't DO whining!' Children that age are quite bright and verbal IMO. And they get the words right.

Originally Posted by frankdrack
It could be as simple that the attacker was furious that she was pregnant.

His fantasy could have been an athletic brown haired women and he was angry that she ruined the fantasy by being pregnant.

I think we need to check out the brown van Hispanics.

Seriously, frank, are you familiar with the neighborhood? How likely is it that anyone, other than someone familiar with the victim, would choose that house? And that there be no signs of forced entry? And no sign of any sort of struggle other than in the master bedroom?

No burglary, no robbery, no sexual assault. But a brutal, brutal beating, mainly to the face and head. That is a personal crime. An intimate crime. And certainly not a random crime, IMO.
Let’s look at the items:

Michelle Young
  • Killed at home in quite residential neighborhood
  • Killed in bedroom
  • No Signs of forced entry
  • No sexual assault
  • Young child at home
  • No struggle except murder location
  • Struggle and attempted strangulation
  • Killed in the middle of night
  • Only small items taken, many valuables left
  • Husband away from the home at time of murder but timeline can’t rule him out
  • Husband only suspect
  • Husband failed multiple polygraphs
Vicki WegerleKilled at home in quite residential neighborhood
  • Killed in bedroom
  • No sign of sexual assault
  • Young child at home
  • Killed in the middle of the day
  • Husband only suspect
  • Husband doesn’t talk with LE

Pretty similar don’t you think… Vicki was murdered by BTK.

Missed all of yesterday's discussion. Pasting a response here from previous thread.

Originally Posted by tarheel8600
It is true that not all adulterers commit murder;

Yes, I would imagine it is a very small percentage. Way less than 1%.

You snipped my post. My full post said, "It is true that not all adulterers commit murder; however, most men who murder their wives have also committed adultery."
I posted this as a baseline for how Michelle was valued and treated by JY. I believe that if JY had been a faithful, loving husband, then Michelle would still be alive.
JY's infidelity fits the beginning of a profile of a husband who murders his wife.

It has been said that the security camera didn't show JY unplugging it or shoving it up; however, the security camera didn't show anyone unplugging it or shoving it up. That leaves the question, who was staying in the HI on Nov. 2, 2006 who needed the security camera unplugged at 11:20 pm and shoved up towards the ceiling at 6:35am the next morning?

Where are you getting these times? 6:35? 11:20?

Testimony.

Why was JY's shirt that he was seen wearing on the security camera at the front desk at midnight not in his luggage or in his vehicle the next evening? Clothing does not just disappear without a reason, and I cannot think of a logical reason for the shirt to be missing other than he threw it away.

I agree

The missing shirt is crucial.

How did a pair of Hush Puppy shoes with a unique sole just happen to be found in blood at the crime scene? A pair of HP with a unique sole that JY just happened to have owned.

How unique are these soles? I've seen no data to back this up. How many shoes were sold in the US that had this sole?

Testimony yesterday showed that only 165 HP Orbitals had been made. When one includes the Sealys and the Bellevilles that had the same sole as the Orbitals which were only sold to small businesses, we may be looking at 2,000-4,000 shoes (sold in the US and abroad) that were ever made that fit the shoe print left at the scene. These are not good odds for JY.

Why would a man staying at the HI on the 4th floor leave his valuables unsecured twice to go downstairs because he worried about disturbing his neighbors by shutting his room door? Why would a man go downstairs twice and prop open an exit door because that was more convenient than carrying his keycard with him?

Great question. I didn't buy JY's testimony that he didn't want to wake up neighbors. He admitted that there was no force/spring in the door and it actually stayed open without using anything to keep it from closing. Why leave your keycard in room for a trip downstairs to smoke.

And leave the door unsecured to get the computer charger. It just defies logic that JY left his valuables unsecured twice rather than close the door and take his keycard with him.

Why was there no forced entry into the home?

Maybe someone rushed MY while she was outside. Got in through garage?

I think evidence shows that Michelle was in bed. Evidence doesn't show that an attack happened anywhere else in the house. Her work papers being scattered about seem to support this.
Also, nothing seems to indicate that a struggle occurred downstairs or any where upstairs besides the master bedroom.

Why was a pregnant woman beaten 30 times to her and her unborn son's death, yet her 2 1/2 year old daughter who witnessed part of the crime was cleaned up, cared for, and left alive?

Many murderers draw the line at kids. Speaking of cleaned up.... If, JY cleaned up CY, she would have been left alone in house from 3-3:30am to 1:30pm. Give me a reason for anyone to clean up kid. I assume whomever killed MY assumed kid would just get dirty again being left at crime scene. There must be another explanation for her cleanliness.

I believe that CY was cleaned up because the killer had feelings of attachment towards her. No stranger would have taken the time to clean her up, much less leave her alive.
I believed she was drugged for a great deal of the time she was left alone with her mother's body.
There was adult Tylenol, Pancof PD, and a dropper found in CY's bedroom that still had red liquid in it. The dropper had CY's DNA on it, the dropper tested positive for the adult Tylenol and Pancof PD, and there were no fingerprints on the dropper to identify who gave her the medicine.
If a parent gave her the medicine under non-suspicious circumstances, their fingerprints would have been found on the dropper.

Why was Michelle's purse that was sitting out in the open not stolen, but a wallet with $500 in it that was hidden in JY's closet was stolen? Why was JY's closet gone through, but Michelle's was left untouched?

I thought both were found to be not in their normal condition. Where is this testimony?

Michelle's purse was not plundered. The best I can tell is that it may have fallen off the counter.

Why was the house not ransacked?

No idea. If it was, would this help JY??? If he was the master murder planner, wouldn't he try to make the scene look like a robbery?

Yes, it would help JY. Due to the timeline, it would have helped JY if the house had been completely gone through (downstairs and upstairs) - this takes time. Also, if 2 or 3 TVs, a DVD player, the home computer, their camera, the entire jewelry box, and other valuables had been taken, he would have had less opportunity to load it up and then dispose of it before returning to the HI.

Why didn't the dog that stayed in the house go after the "stranger" who murdered Michelle?

Some dogs are not wired this way.

Maybe. It just seems unlikely that the dog would have been unresponsive to such a brutal attack.

Why does the timeline of JY stopping at Four Brothers in King fit perfectly?

Good question

I am not usually a big fan of stranger on stranger identification, but it is interesting that the time line fits perfectly.

Why did no cameras record JY going towards the breakfast area on Friday morning?

Why does this matter? If you believe JY is guilty, you must believe he made it back to the hotel to push up camera.

This matters because I believe JY lied about this. If he went to the breakfast area, he should have been caught on the security camera coming down the hallway. He wasn't. Why would someone lie about their activities unless it's to cover up for something?

Why was the last person JY talked to before the murder and the second person (behind trying to reach his mom) he talked to after the murder MM?

Not sure why this is relevant. He spoke to MM what, 400 times in this timeframe?? Chance were good that he spoke to her before and after murder.

The relevance to me is that I believe that MM knew before or after the fact what happened to Michelle. This is my opinion only. To me she seems as much as a sociopath as JY.

Why did JY print off the MapQuest directions and the Coach purse from Ebay at around the same time and remembered to get one but forgot the other?

No idea. Not sure this helps pros in any way though.

I believe this helps the prosecution because there is not a reasonable answer as to why he would remember one and not the other. He left the Coach printout at the house as a means for MF to find CY.

Why was JY so persistent about getting MF over to his house to pick up the Coach purse printout? He called twice and left messages, and he had his mom call once and leave a message.

Well if you believe JY its because he wanted to surprise his wife with the bag. In one of the messages he mentioned that if MF couldn't get over it was not a huge deal. If you think he's guilty its because he loved his daughter enough to get her out of there, but not much as if this were the case wouldn't he try to get his daughter out of there before noon-1:30?

If it wasn't a big deal, then why call MF twice and have your mother call her once? I believe he set this up to make sure CY was found.

Why didn't JY answer his MIL's 4 phone calls within the space of an hour when cell phone records show that he retrieved the two messages she left him? Why didn't he return those calls?

No idea.

JY couldn't talk to or face his MIL because he knew that LF saw through his BS.

When JY arrived at his mother's home and his stepfather gave him the news about Michelle's death, why did JY fall "plumb to his knees?" No surprise, no denial, no insisting that they must have gotten the news wrong. Just immediate acceptance. Remember that when LF found out, she was so shocked she couldn't even cry because she couldn't accept it yet.

Sure, because we all react exactly the same to news of our spouse's death.

I do not believe that upon hearing shocking news that anyone automatically accepts it. The brain doesn't work that way.

Why didn't JY help LE at all even with his lawyer present?

No one knows. Was he advised?

If he were innocent, he should have helped LE in anyway that he could have. I love my spouse, and that's what I would do, especially in this "CSI World" where we all know the spouse or significant other is the first suspect.

Why didn't JY take a polygraph exam to clear himself with LE? MF did.

No one knows, was he advised? Have you ever taken a polygraph? Do you even know what it measures? How easy it is to cheat? Get false readings?

Yes, I had to take one at work one time along with many others. I passed with flying colors because I was telling the truth.
MF took one and passed it.

Why didn't JY keep custody of his daughter and allow MF and LF visitation?

No idea. Was he advised to wait to pursue custody after criminal trial?

JY let his child go because it was in his best interest not to answer questions on the record. Same reason he never went after the 1MM life insurance policy.

Why didn't JY ever offer an award leading to the arrest of conviction of Michelle's killer(s)? Her place of employment did 9 months later; I guess they figured JY wasn't ever going to.

Good question

JY never seemed the least bit concerned that the killer(s) were out wandering loose, and he never seemed the least bit concerned that the killer(s) of his wife and unborn son was/were brought to justice.

Why did JY testify that he was working on his marriage when in fact he was having two affairs?

Because he was a pig?

A pig has multiple affairs. A sociopath claims he was working on his marriage while having multiple affairs.

This is an open and shut case for me. JY has done everything in his power to make himself look guilty.

Just not seeing it. There are definitely some points here that make it very possible JY did it and is guilty.. There is also some evidence that makes it very possible he is innocent.

I'm not seeing any evidence that makes it possible that JY is anything but guilty.

My original posts in italics. Your responses to my original posts in red. My responses to you in blue.

I hope this isn't confusing, but I wanted to respond to your concerns and opinions.

Let’s look at the items:

Michelle Young
  • Killed in bedroom
  • No sexual assault
  • Young child at home
  • Husband only suspect
  • Killed in bedroom
  • No Signs of forced entry IT WAS A SERIAL KILLER, HIS MO
  • Young child at home WHOSE LIFE WAS SPARED BECAUSE HIS MOTHER FOUGHT SO HARD
  • No struggle except murder location INTENSE STRUGGLE! KILLER SAID IT WAS THE HARDEST HE'D EVER BEEN FOUGHT. LEFT BEFORE HE COULD FULLY "enjoy" THE KILL
  • Killed in the middle of the day ALSO THE MO OF THIS SERIAL KILLER
  • Only small items taken, many valuables left IS HER CAR INVALUABLE? HE STOLE THAT!
  • Husband away from the home at time of murder but timeline can’t rule him out HE WAS ON HIS WAY HOME FOR LUNCH AND PASSED BTK IN HER CAR LEAVING THE NEIGHBORHOOD
  • Husband only suspect
  • Husband doesn’t talk with LE NOT TRUE. PROOF OF THIS STATEMENT, PLEASE

I have brought this case up to you before yet you never responded to what I had to say. BTK did not even want to take credit for Vickie because the sick freak didn't get to enjoy the kill. She fought him and hard, and she told him her husband was on his way home for lunch. He bound her and only took the time to take a few pictures before quickly killing her and stealing her car and leaving. So if he'd been able to take his time like he wanted, he probably would have killed the kid, after all, HE HAD KILLED KIDS BEFORE! Also there was no forced entry, his MO, he stole an electric company hard hat and went door to door telling the people in the neighborhood they were doing work on the lines. Also there were other remnants of his calling card because he was a Serial Killer! So personally, I see NO similarities. Next...

I have brought this case up to you before yet you never responded to what I had to say. BTK did not even want to take credit for Vickie because the sick freak didn't get to enjoy the kill. She fought him and hard, and she told him her husband was on his way home for lunch. He bound her and only took the time to take a few pictures before quickly killing her and stealing her car and leaving. So if he'd been able to take his time like he wanted, he probably would have killed the kid, after all, HE HAD KILLED KIDS BEFORE! So personally, I see NO similarities. Next...

I have not seen anyone take credit for Michelle's murder... but she is still dead.

Let’s look at the items:

Michelle Young
  • Killed in bedroom
  • No sexual assault
  • Young child at home
  • Husband only suspect
  • Killed in bedroom
  • Young child at home
  • Killed in the middle of the day
  • Husband only suspect
  • Husband doesn’t talk with LE

IIRC, you've used Vicky before, but a few of your facts aren't quite right:

September 16, 1986, he changed into his "hit clothes” (clothes he would get rid of afterwards) and drove his car to Vicki’s house a before lunchtime. Carrying a briefcase and wearing a Southwestern Bell hard he posed as a telephone repairman. To scope out the surroundings, he went to nearby homes to inform residents that they would be working on the phone lines.

As Rader approached Vicki's home he heard her playing the piano for her two year old son. She allowed him inside to check her lines. Once inside, using a fake instrument to pretend he was checking the telephone lines, he pulled out a .357 Magnum and ordered her into the bedroom. He told the hysterical mother, begging him to stop, that he was going to tie her up.

When Vicki broke loose from fabric Rader had tied her up with in her bedroom, a loud, intense fight ensued with the outside doors and windows wide open and dogs barking in the yard. Rader said she fought harder than any of his other victims; scratching him on his face and neck.

She prayed as Rader strangled her to death with a nylon socking. When she stopped moving, he rearranged her clothes and took three photos of her.

Because there had been so much noise and because she had claimed her husband was on his way home he left promptly. He threw a few souvenirs into his briefcase, grabbed her car keys, and left in her car. Her car was found the same day two blocks away.

As Bill Wegerle, Vickie's husband was on the way home for lunch when he passed Rader driving his wife's car away from their home. He discovered his wife’s brutalized body when he got home. Vickie died of strangulation before the paramedics arrived.

Rader was disappointed with Vickie’s murder because there wasn't enough time to fully enjoy it.

BTK fully intended to rape and torture Vicky. All of his other victims were sexually brutalized.

I stand by my remarks. This was an *intimate* killing. There was no sexual assault. And there was a brutal beating of the head and face.

Question for anyone that thinks that JY is innocent or not guilty..........if not JY then who killed MY? What is the motive for anyone other than JY to kill her?

That question comes up from time to time. The reverse question would be something like: The husband is always the first suspect. If investigators are unable to locate another suspect (perhaps the one responsible for unknown prints), does that mean the husband is guilty?

I have read, extensively, about this case and all of its details; imo, many posters here are doing a fantastic and thorough job of pointing out the many, many reasons the "big picture" points to Jason Young alone as the murderer. I agree with them. The reason I am posting is to state the following:
I BELIEVE- NO, I KNOW- IN MY HEART OF HEARTS THAT JASON YOUNG IS GUILTY AS SIN. I HATE HIM FOR WHAT HE DID TO HIS PREGNANT WIFE. I HATE HIM FOR NOT CARING THAT HIS LITTLE GIRL HAD TO SEE HER MOTHER DEAD AND LEAVE BLOODY FOOTPRINTS ALL OVER THE HOUSE. I HATE HIM FOR SETTING UP HIS SISTER-IN-LAW TO BE THE ONE TO 'FIND' MICHELLE, BLOODIED AND COLD TO THE TOUCH, DEAD. I HATE HIM FOR MURDERING HIS UNBORN SON IN UTERO. I HOPE AND PRAY HE IS FOUND GUILTY AND SPENDS THE REST OF HIS SELFISH, UGLY AND DISGUSTING EXCUSE FOR A LIFE BEHIND BARS. THE END!!!

Money can be a motive without him trying to collect on either policy. In a divorce he would have lost custody of not one but both children. Then he would have to pay child support for both of those children. Based on his work and how much he gets paid that could equal to more money than he was willing to part with. Not to mention the cost of the divorce itself, having to pay a lawyer. Then add to that the fact of his numerous affairs would have been brought to light and used against him. I am not sure if NC is one of the states that adultry is a criminal offense and can be used against a person in a divorce or not, however, just knowing that his life of lies and secrets would be spilled for anyone and everyone to see can also be viewed as a factor in MY's death. JY never wanted children, he wanted to remain footloose and carefree. His apparent views of women is also a contributing factor which also goes to motive. Personally I see plenty of motive for JY to kill MY. What I don't see is motive for anyone else to kill MY.

MOO

Child support is generally based on the income of both parents. Michelle had a good income and a promising career. I don't see child support as a major factor.

You did not address anything I said with that statement. Still you missed my point. The child's life was spared because he had to RUSH. Vickie fought like a mama bear and made a ton of noise. He would have killed the kid. He'd killed kids before. Also I highlighted some of the erroneous statements you made about Vickie Wegerle in red. If you can provide links that prove anything you have stated, I'd really appreciate them.

I did make one mistake.

I listed "Husband failed multiple polygraphs" under MY and "Husband doesn’t talk with LE" under VW when of course it was the other way around.

Sorry for the error.

The rest of what you have in red are your editorial comments, not my erroneous statements.

If the Vicki Wegerle murder was clearly a serial killer why did LE think it was the husband for so many years?

addressing the bolded part here... I don't think that a beating death can at all be limited to a close personal relationship. While it may not be as common for a random killing to involve such violence, it has happened, and it will continue to happen, so it cannot be ruled out.

I read Portrait of a Monster last night, about van der Sloot. He violently beat his victims, and there was no sexual assault. This case is different, but he presents a counter-example to the theory that only spouses violently beat a woman to death. Another point that I found interesting is that he used only his hands to commit murder, but when he was photographed June 3/4, about 5 days after the murder, he had no visible injuries to his hands.

Child support is generally based on the income of both parents. Michelle had a good income and a promising career. I don't see child support as a major factor.

With 2 kids and part-time hours, Jay would be paying big bucks for child support. Lets not forget alimony that would be ordered because of his multiple affairs.

$1,000,000 in the bank with no nagging wife?
He had a new mom lined up for CY (sis Heather), so all would be peachy.

The defense wants gullible and/or stupid jurors to believe the killer had to be covered in cuts, scratches and bruises. Hopefully they will think outside the box and realize this poor woman was asleep when her husband slipped in at 2:30AM and slaughtered her. She could do nothing but attempt to pull his away his chocking hands and then use her hands as a shield, as he swung his weapon 30 times across her skull.

I have my fingers crossed we have a much brighter jury this time ! JMO.

With 2 kids and part-time hours, Jay would be paying big bucks for child support. Lets not forget alimony that would be ordered because of his multiple affairs.

Parttime was only temporary ... she would have had to return to work full time within a year or two to keep her career on track. I just don't see child support as a major factor when the wife has a stronger career than the husband.

Good evening JTF,

I have zero knowledge of NC family court procedures.

Do they really award alimony based on affairs?

JTF,

What are your thoughts concerning today’s testimony?

I wasn’t surprised, but I was disappointed by the State today. I have no idea what key elements that the members of the jury distilled from the testimony but it seemed pretty painful.

Parttime was only temporary ... she would have had to return to work full time within a year or two to keep her career on track. I just don't see child support as a major factor when the wife has a stronger career than the husband.

I think we heard in court he was making $20K or so more.
In NC, infidelity comes with a penalty.
Jay would be paying dearly and he knew it.
No doubt, that burden would cramp his style.

Anyone know the schedule for tomorrow? Did I hear a juror has a medical appt? Will that change the 9:30 am start?

It sickens me that the prosecution's examination of Sgt Spivey, their own witness for God's sake, was so ineffectual. I've followed this case since day 1 and as the details unfolded, I like many others knew the truth of this case. As a native North Carolinian with roots in the western part of the state also, it sickened me that such a psychotic, evil man could also be from my part of the world (a naive view perhaps). If I had no knowledge of this case before this trial, I'm not sure where I'd fall if I only saw today's proceedings. Jason's testimony wouldn't sell me..quite the opposite. But the few minutes of cross today that I saw obliterated Cummings' direct. Truly a WTF haven't we been here before feeling. Holt ***** the bed last year and damn if Howard didn't go and one-up her. And Klinkosum just shredded the state's case.

I have refrained from referring to the Cooper case because I didn't follow it as closely, and from what I viewed of that case I thought the Cary PD's behavior was reckless enough for a not guilty verdict on the Blackberry alone.

That's completely irrelevant and a long-winded way of getting to my point...that young ADA was a fired up advocate for Nancy Cooper and showed disdain for Brad Cooper. He really believed his case and was passionate and energized every time I caught the proceedings. Jurors have to be influenced by that. Cooper's attorney was likewise very passionate and I have to wonder if Zellinger alone didn't win that conviction since Cummings is a common denominator.

In contrast, Holt and Cummings show no passion, and act as if showing a semblance of emotion is beneath their status. They're detached, slow and struggle with organization (save the Hush Puppy testimony yesterday). So now it comes down to this in my opinion...can the state hammer home the shoe print, the missing clothing, Cassidy's connection and the oddities from the hotel, or will Jason Young's performance from trial one again save him? If that sort of doomsday scenario comes to pass, my frustration at giving a salesman a second shot on the stand while remaining perfectly silent will blow up. What a colossal, incompetent prosecution - my hope now is that they're pulling a B'rer Rabbit game and begging him not to take the stand again because they have something to pull it all out from under the murdering sociopath. If I'm defense counsel, I keep him off the stand this time because the state was so weak today. I hope this jury has smarter people who do a better job of organizing and sifting through both sides of this case, because they won't convict due to the state's presentation..and that is very disheartening when guilt is so obvious.

Good evening JTF,

I have zero knowledge of NC family court procedures.

Do they really award alimony based on affairs?

Affairs are one factor in awarding alimony. Generally, for marriages less than 10 years, you get half of that in alimony, for the lesser earning spouse. Generally. But if one side has an affair, the court can award alimony to that spouse above and beyond the other alimony, or if there was none to begin with. If both sides have an affair, then it is not really relevant for weighing alimony. If the spouse that earns less is the one who has an affair, the court can choose to award them no alimony at all.

But, there are a lot of factors that go into alimony, and affairs are just one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zhoule