17-yo Teen Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the officer started asking questions to be used in court, he would have to mirandize Zimmerman. A lot of times, people talk. They just talk. If they tell the officer something unprompted/unprovoked, it is still useable at trial even if they have not been read the Miranda warning. It is my understanding that it's not uncommon for police to use this tactic, as reading off one's rights will generally prompt them to exercise their right to remain silent. Many people think that what is said is unusable if their rights haven't been read. JMO

I agree with you on that. I just do not believe that cop only heard zimmerman say two things the whole time he was in his custody.

It was cherry picked like a lot of other things in this case reported so far. IMO

I'm sorry if this sounds abrasive, but the evidence as it stands right now doesn't seem to point to "cold blood". Even if it was a series of extremely tragic and unfortunate events, I'm not sure it's evident that Zimmerman ever wanted to kill anyone.

Do you believe that Zimmerman set out that night intending to kill someone?

Why do you think Zimmerman continued to follow him after being told he didn't have to? He wasn't following him to invite him to shoot some hoops..
there was no reason for Zimmerman to be out of his car...and I also object strongly to the language Zimmerman used about TM..disgusting! ^i^

I agree with you on that. I just do not believe that cop only heard zimmerman say two things the whole time he was in his custody.
Those may have been the only two things relevant to the report. He merely said that he didn't question Martin, iirc. JMO

Maybe he went through a juvie version of pre trial diversion?

No. Just as Zimmerman still has a record, even though he went through a diversion program and his case was dismissed, Trayvon would still have a record if he had an arrest and a charge that was dismissed as a result of a diversion program. If juvenile justice states he had no record, he didn't.

Why do you think Zimmerman continued to follow him after being told he didn't have to? He wasn't following him to invite him to shoot some hoops..
there was no reason for Zimmerman to be out of his car...and I also object strongly to the language Zimmerman used about TM..disgusting! ^i^
An error in judgement does not mean that he set out to kill anyone. JMO

No. Just as Zimmerman still has a record, even though he went through a diversion program and his case was dismissed, Trayvon would still have a record if he had an arrest and a charge that was dismissed as a result of a diversion program. If juvenile justice states he had no record, he didn't.
This is not necessarily true. One of the SPD sergeants stated that his juvenile record would only show major felonies per Florida law. I need to do some digging on this and see if I can figure out the specifics.

It was cherry picked like a lot of other things in this case reported so far. IMO

Exactly...wouldn't Zimmerman be saying how thankful he was to be alive? He did almost die...:what:

I would at least expect a person to make some excited utterances, I mean that's a pretty intense incident. So GZ just was quiet, except for throwing it out there that he was calling for help? Hmmm...

Exactly...wouldn't Zimmerman be saying how thankful he was to be alive? He did almost die...:what:

I would at least expect a person to make some excited utterances, I mean that's a pretty intense incident. So GZ just was quiet, except for throwing it out there that he was calling for help? Hmmm...
Since he was familiar with law enforcement, he may have been familiar with the notion of not talking to the police. I'd say that if they were trying to cover anything up, the first thing they'd omit was the "I shot him" quote.

This is not necessarily true. One of the SPD sergeants stated that his juvenile record would only show major felonies per Florida law. I need to do some digging on this and see if I can figure out the specifics.

Also Monday, state Department of Juvenile Justice confirmed that Trayvon does not have a juvenile offender record. The information came after a public records request by The Associated Press.

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/ne...d-george-zimmerman-report-says/#ixzz1qHmcSS8i

He has NO record. Not that his record is sealed, not that it is hidden or expunged, it simply does not exist.

Since he was familiar with law enforcement, he may have been familiar with the notion of not talking to the police. I'd say that if they were trying to cover anything up, the first thing they'd omit was the "I shot him" quote.

There's kinda no way to cover that up? GZ had a gun, Trayvon lay dead?

An error in judgement does not mean that he set out to kill anyone. JMO

"I'd love to live in a world with people who have the guts to say
this is wrong"
Quote from TV commercial

There's kinda no way to cover that up? GZ had a gun, Trayvon lay dead?
That has no impact on what Zimmerman told the police. It could easily go from manslaughter to second degree murder based on that quote alone.

But what would be contained on such a record? The notion I got from the SPD quote was that the record itself would only consist of major crimes.

Near as I can tell NO record means no record. If the Department of Justice says no record at all, where do you go beyond that? Where else do you dig, and why would you? I, personally, would trust a direct statement from the Department of Juvenile Justice over a statement by an SPD cop but ymmv. Moo

Also, i decided to pm you about what I wanted clarified. I will have to go way back through the threads for my question and I might not get to it tonight.

Thanks dr. F!

I'll try to get up before she does tomorrow to read up on the law.

I did see a wiki entry for it but can't always trust wiki heh.

I have an issue with mr.z pursuing tm after having called 911 and reporting a suspicious individual while armed. It's le's job to locate and question an individual. If tm had approached mr. Z and mr. Z had felt in fear for his life or personal safety and had to use lethal force to defend himself ---then I wouldnt probably concern myself because that is the reason I think the law exists.

But to actively pursue an individual puts a different spin on this for me. To be honest, we haven't had a lot of local coverage on this here so I'm a bit behind. :)

I also find that troubling. If you listen to George Zimmermann's 911 call (the Wikipedia page on the case has a copy), he keeps coming up with reasons to chase after Martin on his own. When Martin starts to run, he gets out of his truck and starts chasing. When the dispatcher tells him not to, he keeps going. If he had turned around at that point, he would be back at his truck before the call ended. Near the end of the call he agrees to wait near the mailboxes, but then changes his mind. He is on a hunt and doesn't want to quit.

Go through the list of GZ's calls to the police and you will see several instances where he links young black men to burglaries. He hasn't seen them carting loot out of houses, he has simply typecast young black men as burglars.

But what would be contained on such a record? The notion I got from the SPD quote was that the record itself would only consist of major crimes.

I personally do not know exactly what would be on such a record, and I don't think we should concern ourselves with it because the DJJ says the record doesn't exist.

There's no wiggle room IMO; Trayvon has NO juvenile record.

IF the record only consists of major crimes, and he has no record, that means he committed no major crimes. That's even more reason to let it go, and leave this issue alone IMO.

I too have listened to the tapes, and imo, the scream of help were those made by an adult who was getting beat up, knowing he could end it because he was armed, and was screaming for some one to rescue him before he had to resort to using his weapon with deadly force. I know I would scream like a baby for help before I decided to kill an attacker.

:waitasec:

Near as I can tell NO record means no record. If the Department of Justice says no record at all, where do you go beyond that? Where else do you dig, and why would you? I, personally, would trust a direct statement from the Department of Juvenile Justice over a statement by an SPD cop but ymmv. Moo

Also, i decided to pm you about what I wanted clarified. I will have to go way back through the threads for my question and I might not get to it tonight.
That's what I'd draw from it, too... However, I'm wondering under what authority the representative was able to release that information. The statutory law surrounding the release of juvenile records seems to be fairly strict. I would've thought that if such a thing were to occur, it would have been through the parents so that the justice department couldn't be held liable.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ng=&URL=0900-0999/0985/Sections/0985.045.html

ETA: And thanks for the update about the questions.

I also find that troubling. If you listen to George Zimmermann's 911 call (the Wikipedia page on the case has a copy), he keeps coming up with reasons to chase after Martin on his own. When Martin starts to run, he gets out of his truck and starts chasing. When the dispatcher tells him not to, he keeps going. If he had turned around at that point, he would be back at his truck before the call ended. Near the end of the call he agrees to wait near the mailboxes, but then changes his mind. He is on a hunt and doesn't want to quit.

Go through the list of GZ's calls to the police and you will see several instances where he links young black men to burglaries. He hasn't seen them carting loot out of houses, he has simply typecast young black men as burglars.

He links young black men to burglaries because young black men had committed burglaries in that neighborhood and not been caught.Not typecasting it was true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti