Legal Arguments - What went on behind Closed Doors?

Well, I sure hope the jury comes back with guilty on all counts or no agreement, so there's a mistrial. Nothing else is acceptable.

I see from the tweets they're done for tonight with no verdict. The longer this takes, the worse it looks for justice.

i'm praying they already concluded he's guilty on all counts and are just feeling they should at least appear like they read all the charges & tree check list

mystic

During Det. Smyth's interrogation in part 6 he tells MR he's heard MR has a seven year old daughter, nieces, nephews and MR replies to all..."guess you'll find out". Woah very telling. Moo

OMG!!! a 7yr old?? I couldnt get past the first one because of my connection at home but I will look at work tomorrow. Let me know if you have more info.

Man I totally knew there was more to him and if Derstine put him on the stand he would have been crushed. He did the best he could.

I tell you one thing I could never be a defense lawyer!!!!

All so this slimeball could get a fair trial ... where's the fairness to Tori and her loved ones, and the general public who trusted the system wouldn't let them down.

Hey Big Guy ... we're needing some Divine Intervention here !!

<Amen and Thanks from Canada>

Child *advertiser censored* should be exempt from such laws, and allowed, no matter what, as evidence. Period.
Children need to be protected, and if this guy gets off on some stupid technicality... 'upsetting' doesn't begin to describe how I feel about that

Re-posting, well said.

and derstine tried to say tlm was the engine behind it all; even though he knew what the evidence was that was being withheld from the jury.....ewwwwwwww. MOO

Exactly.

He doesn't actually WANT his client out on the street, does he?

Pretty disgusting.

I think Smyth was goading MR. He was hoping he would make a threat towards him so he could take him down. JMO

Interesting how people rationalize things or view the same evidence so differently. (And I sincerely mean no disrespect by that). For me, it was the TOTAL LACK of any info about the computer and the lack of anything whatsoever being said about his character and sexual preferences that made me realize there was a lot the defense was fighting VERY HARD to keep out. There were too many legal arguments during the ex-girlfriends' testimonies.

With TLM confessing before MR was arrested I could not imagine that any evidence would be keep out. How could a warrant be faulty when they already knew what they were looking for before they even arrested him. For me it had to be a lack of evidence, TLM change in testimony and no concrete evidence ... That made me question what was going on and gave me reason to doubt.

I hope no one on the jury feels the way I did ...

Im still trying to catch up, but omg! how does this happen? how is it that everyone gets to know the truth, EXCEPT the 12 people deciding the verdict!! how does that make ANY sense?!!?! i dont care whether they found it under a faulty warrant. why do have to care about HIS rights??? what happened to Toris rights????? Unbelievable. I pray the jury comes to the right decision.... i will feel truly sorry for them if they dont.

I figured 4 hours (wishful thinking). So tomorrow morning, fingers are crossed. I do agree that it has to be either or. I can not imagine him getting off. I just can not even stomach the thought.

If they went to dinner at 6 and there are 12 of them, they probably didn't finish until 7:15 to 7:30ish, then back to the Courthouse so they probably didn't even get started until 8:00ish, picked a foreman, maybe, maybe took an initial vote to see what everyone was thinking and then broke for the night to rest and get ready for a hard day tomorrow.

So tonight, I would conservatively guess 1 hour of actual deliberation time. Tomorrow.... we could get a verdict anytime after noon, I think. They had a lot of material to go over, so that will take them a couple of hours I think?

We could still get a verdict in 4 hours (or am I just wishful thinking?)

Salem

If he's found NG and the Crown files an appeal, then it's going to be difficult to find another jury of 12 who have not heard, read, seen this latest information. It's a complete outrage that this info was not heard by this jury.
As much as the 'deal with the devil' enraged Canadians, this latest bombshell is right there at the top of worst moments in Canadian legal history.

Would anyone be completely offended if I added WTF to every post?

WTF?

oh please do!

and lets all send loads of positive energy for the Jury to conclude guilt on all counts!

none of us want him out on the streets, changing his name and harming another living soul ever

Seriously I am completely disgusted in all of this. I cant get past it. How could no one see this? Is his mother that naive? I just dont understand. I have to tell you about what I read. If I was a mother if any way a man made a comment about my child in the way the MSM said he did I would have told him to beat it then go to the police so they had some sort of record of it.

This is replica Bernardo. All of these things that he was accused of and never anything documented by police sounds eerie of Bernardo. Also certain things that were said like the chocking and anal sex.

When TLM said the following I believed because really how do you make that stuff up.

The bum talk, the jacking off (is this okay to say?) down the laneway, "you know I am going to F her right? All of these comments I couldnt see her saying if they were not true this is why I was further on the guilty side with the sexual assault verdict plus the missing shirt.

Even the way she described the murder I really still feel like she didnt do it. It makes no sense, either does her testimony. It was off from the beginning of this trial bit its possible if they both did it. IMO

ummm...Judge Heeney do you have children?
Dirk, do you have children?
are they girls?
Honestly, if I was either of your wife right now, you'd be sleeping on the couch after today news!

I can't remember who posted this thought in the other trial thread, but it went something like some posters just get caught up with the minute details well, somewhere along the line someone really dropped the ball here and got caught up in minute details. Where did good old common sense go???
There had to be a better way to deal with the search warrant issue than the way it was handled.

It will be interesting to see what kind of public outcry there will be and what the response will be.

Good post.

they sur do, and that's what Tori's law should be about, I hope something will come to a head that changes it so that critical evidence can not be withheld

Had this evidence been admitted he would have been charged with possessing child *advertiser censored* as well as this case being a slam dunk for a child rape and murder.

Our country needs more resources to shut down these types of creeps and their information sharing.

Please write to your Member of Parliament.

I just feel so enraged as a parent to a child who is/was the same age as Tori (I speak of her in present tense sometimes). I feel so bad for RS and TM and Tori's brother tonight. God bless them.

I am not understanding either, can people just google this s**t? I thought we had LE on this stuff? I do not know, it confuses me.

Also, maybe, hopefully ... what i said earlier about the search & seizure laws taht were in effect at the time, Crown may go forward with an Appeal on the grounds that Judge Heeney made an error in law related to the warrant.

For some reason, the more i think, the more i'm starting to feel hopeful that something can/will be done in the event of NG.

BBM: There is no way that a not-guilty verdict will be going down without a fight by our Crown.

Also, it is really upsetting about the warrant issue, really upsetting, but, I truly have no bad words to say about our LE.

Our LE caught these 2 , found dear Victoria, followed through with publication bans to ensure a fair trial, and have fought beyond belief for Justice in Victoria's Case.

I take my hat off to our Canadian Law Enforcement and Crown Attorney's in this case.

Thank-you.

Indeed.

When the Jurors do find this information out, how will they NOT feel misled?

You nailed it! Thats exactly how I feel Wgirl.

It's not right that all that info was withheld, however I do feel that enough info was presented for the jury to make the right decision.

I am not understanding either, can people just google this s**t? I thought we had LE on this stuff? I do not know, it confuses me.

They can Google it. They can download it. They can send it to other people. The torrent sites are hard to track. They can go into creep chat rooms and share information. There just isn't the resources to catch them all.

http://m.winnipegsun.com/2012/04/20...hild-*advertiser censored*-offenders-off-easy

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deluhg01
Back