***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
would taking a cab be possible?

I seriously doubt it. It's about a 3-3.5 hour drive back to the Lafayette area. I would think that someone picked him up and brought him back. JMO

I'm now reading that BSL spent some time in the mental institution in Pineville, possibly dealing with PTSD after his time in the military.

I believe he was in the military prior to 9/11/01 & in jail by 2000...so I don't think he's a veteran of Afghanistan & he was incarcerated by the time we went into Iraq....so just what war was he fighting in where he'd get PTSD? (Kosovo/Bosnia maybe? Haven't heard of all that many PTSD cases coming from that but I guess it's possible).

In that case, his credit/debit purchases will be interesting.. Also, didn't someone say that he claimed his truck was stolen in Texas while at a dealership? Wonder if he reported it stolen.. If not, way to place yourself at the scene. Jeez.

He could have used cash.

I do remember someone mentioning an abandoned white truck in Texas, but I believe it was more along I-10, near Beaumont? I'll try to find the post.

San Jacinto county, honestly, would be an easy place to hide something. A large majority of it (80%?) is right in the middle of the Sam Houston National Forest. I've been up in that forest and in other areas of that county quite a bit in the last 2 months and, let me tell you, it's woodsy and sparsely populated. Small towns scattered about, and then lots of expansive (and I mean expansive) farms and ranches. It'd be quite easy to burn out a truck and not have anyone notice it immediately. There's a lot of trash burning up there, so a fire in and of itself wouldn't be suspicious and unless someone came upon the burning truck while it was burning, it would go unnoticed for a while.

All that being said, it would be really hard to get back to Houston, where you could take a bus or a train back to Lafayette from that area. Anyone know if he had a motorcycle or something he could have brought with him and used that to get back? And there's always the real possibility that someone he knew helped him. If the truck was right off of the 59 portion of San Jacinto County, I could see the hitchhiking theory, maybe. But if in the middle of the forest (there are farms/ranches in there, it's not just an undeveloped forest)? It'd be pretty difficult to pull off, and going out there with no definitive way to get back would be pretty risky.

Thank you! Very much appreciated!

Anyone know how his victim from the conviction got away? The information I have seen says she was bound for the assault but makes no mention of if she escaped or was let go.
I get the impression Mickey would have put up more of a fight than her looks might indicate.
Thank you everyone here but especially the mods. I have never been on a board before where there is so much respect and gravity given to the victims and investigations. This is not goodbye, other cases have already crept into my mind every day. So again thank you to everyone and this is not over but just beginning.

Bring Mickey home!

In response to the question:

What kind of "look" would one need to be a part of the Artmosphere crowd?

Is the creepy-looking guy in the dark blue T-shirt really the Artmosphere type? I find it hard to believe that Mickey and he would frequent the same type of night club. . . .

Can anyone explain? Is it just my bias?

JMO. TIA.

That is his old registered sex offender pic. You must not have seen his mug shot from yesterday. He looks MUCH different he looks handsome and younger. I 1st saw his RSO pic and I instantly though WOW he's SCARY. then I saw his one from yesterday and was even more scared because I probably would have hit on him at a bar!!! yikes!!!!!

30 minutes til the presser.... I have a HUGE lump in my throat! Im soo saddened by this news.... I started crying yesterday when all the information broke... Knowning this isnt good. :(

Omg, we're a half hour out from the PC. I'm a bundle of nerves.

that's the only thing that keeps me from jumping on the bandwagon about locking them away forever. yes if they are serious perverts that actually do this then yes i believe that. but what if they are wrongly convicted?? it's just not that easy

ITA with this as well. The same opinion I have regarding the death penalty. Too many cases in which there has been a wrongful convicted and innocent persons serve years on death row, Kerry Max Cook from Texas comes to mind. That was a hellish ordeal and one of the prosecutors ended up committing suicide if I remember correctly.

So I guess I need to clarify, only the violent predators in which it is proven beyond a doubt should be put away for life IMO. Can't just be a he said / she said in which the alleged victim can just make a claim without physical proof, etc. allowing an innocent person to be convicted.

I'm on my phone and can't listen/watch the PC. Can someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post what's being said??? TIA

Oh Wow. She isn't alive than. He killed her on the same day he kidnapped her according to the affidavit... I hope he at leasts lets them know where he put her body or what he did with it.

As much as I want to hope otherwise, I fear this is true. I hope as well that he tells us what he did with the remains. MOO

I sure hope is around. We might crash the server...yikes!

I agree to an extent in theory, but in practice, where do you draw the line? Is it certain types of sexual crimes that get locked up and we throw away the key, or all? Would this only apply to the Tier 3's?

Admittedly, I don't know a lot about the Tiers of sexual offenders. What Tier would statutory rape fall into? Does it vary, case by case? I ask because there's a big difference between an adult raping a 13 year old, and the unfortunate 19 year old whose 17 year old girl friend's parents call the cops and press charges (my ages mgith be wrong, so let's say 18 and 16).

And then there are those who are labeled as sex offenders and forced to register for the rest of their lives because they were caught urinating in public at Mardi Gras.

For someone like BSL? Yeah, he deserves to be locked up forever from that first crime alone. But is it easy, in law practice, to make a black and white distinction between someone like him and another criminal? That's a true question, I don't know enough about it to make a declaration, and welcome everyone's opinions on this.

I think it's a mistake to label certain 'crimes' like urinating in public, sexting between kids in school, cases of a girlfriend/boyfriend being just underage as a sexual offense. When I see the term Sex Offender I want to know that this is a truly bad person and that I need to steer clear of them. I don't want to give some bad guy the benefit of the doubt that maybe he urinated in an alley at Mardi Gras.

There are tiers and all I know but the term has just become to broad.

I believe that some criminals such as bank robbers or burglars and even some murderers can be rehabilitated but not serious sex offenders. The urge never goes away.

Anyone know how his victim from the conviction got away? The information I have seen says she was bound for the assault but makes no mention of if she escaped or was let go.
I get the impression Mickey would have put up more of a fight than her looks might indicate.
Thank you everyone here but especially the mods. I have never been on a board before where there is so much respect and gravity given to the victims and investigations. This is not goodbye, other cases have already crept into my mind every day. So again thank you to everyone and this is not over but just beginning.

Bring Mickey home!

If she were injured or dazed, she might have been easy to subdue.

Personally I dont believe you can rhabilitate a sex offender!
They got caught once because they let the child or woman live the next time they do it they kill....How many of these men are walking around that have killed and were never caught for the crime? I hate to think!

Can you show me any studies that say they can't be rehabilitated?

According to this article by the American Psychological Association, a large study done in 2002 showed recidivism rates of 17.3 percent for untreated sex offenders compared with 9.9 percent for treated offenders. So obviously some can be rehabilitated.
http://www.apa.org/monitor/julaug03/newhope.aspx

Just because someone is a sex offender doesn't mean they will become a murderer. That's making a big assumption.

Can someone tell me if IND.Com is considered a reliable news source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nursestump