NJ NJ - Charlotte Loomis, 14, Eatontown, 1 Sept 1972

I wonder if she is still missing?? I found another missing person on myspace a couple weeks ago that had been found alive at an airport in July according to NCMEC when I asked Rocky at doenetwork to check on this.

I found a face book with the same name as this Charlotte and it sure looks alot like her.

You are right, there is a blonde on Facebook that does resemble her. I wonder why her case has never been on Charley Project, just Doe...this case has bothered me too.

If her mother remarried, where was her real father? Perhaps she went to live with him or another relative but did not have contact with her other family?

Ok I am trying to think how this all went. Charlottes mother (Rose Laura Dinnan) (12/10/1927-10/13/04) was married 3 times, her maiden name was Morris. She first married a Burton Loomis they had 5 kids. In order of who came first- Carol, Dwane, Larry, David, Lynette. Burton passed away and Rose married Burtons brother (do not know his first name, but last name would be Loomis) they then had 3 more kids- Charlotte, Catherine, and Carton. I am not sure why this marriage ended, but she ended up marrying her third and final husband Louis Dinnan (8/9/1919-9/29/2000) and he had a child from a previous marriage (Dennis Dinnan) and then Rose had 3 more children with him- Lewis Sheridan, Ed, Lori.

As the story goes Burton was a drinker and did not get along well with Charlotte, so she went to go stay the summer with her older sister Carol (who lived with her husband on an army base in Eatontown NJ) for the summer and was returning home to go back to school. From what I can tell all the children that were born from Lynette and later would have all been in the house when Charlotte went missing. I know that Charlottes dissapearance has caused a large rift in the family. Some of the kids thought that Louis had something to do with it (mainly children who were not offspring of Louis), others felt like Carol had somthing to do with it (children of Louis). I would really like to bring some peace to this family. I think this is all of the information that I have at this time, but I can get more if needed. Let me know if you can think of any good questions to ask. I do know that there was some sort of "secret" that Rose promised to take to her grave, and she did just that. I have spoke with the center for missing and exploited children and they said that they have no "police report" and honestly they couldnt even tell me how they knew about the case. I would really like to know who started this search in the first place, because when I started asking questions, no one in the family even knew that Charlotte had a NCMEC file. I would really like to find out if a missing persons report was ever done and if so in what state/county and by whom and when did they file it? Anyone wanna help me with this??

If her luggage arrived, wouldn't that mean that she had entered the airport to have it checked in?

I just now noticed that she is not listed on the New Jersey missing person site. Strange.

This is a very odd case...The luggage is what is throwing everyone off. BUT, back in 1972 you could do just about anything in an airport! No identification was required AT ALL, anyone oculd check a bag in, heck back in 1990, I was allowed to board a plane to give my daughter something she forgot!
There's a slew of crime scenes and possible scenarios...

1. The sister checked the luggage to throw everyone off because she was actually killed by sister/husband
2. Charlotte checked her own luggage in and while waiting at the NJ airport was kidnapped.
3. Charlotte checked her own luggage in and took off to throw people off and then she left the NJ airport and became a runaway.
4. Charlotte made it to Detroit and before she picked up her baggage, she was kidnapped out of Detroit Airport.
5. Charlotte made it to Detroit, didn't pick up her luggage, and became a runaway.
6. Charlotte made it to Detroit, was picked up by family member, killed, and then they returned the luggage to Detroit to throw everyone off.

Back in those days, you could easily throw a bag on a luggage carousel. Security was basically non-existent, people came and went as they pleased, no cameras either. BUT, they DID have passenger lists, and I would think that someone could tell whether she was on the plane or not, though it didn't necessarily have to be her. For instance, the sister could have dropped the luggage to be checked and went to departures and "checked in" as Charlotte. Back then, she could have even boarded the damn plane and then got off before it took off so any investigation would have revealed that Charlotte did get on plane. Remember, no identification was required then!

Here's hoping that Charlotte is living a happy life somewhere!

I'm hoping that Charlotte just took off, started a new life someone and is very happy. It sounds like she sure didn't have it easy, and I'm suspect of the "secret to the grave" thing.

You are right, there is a blonde on Facebook that does resemble her. I wonder why her case has never been on Charley Project, just Doe...this case has bothered me too.

http://charleyross.wordpress.com/2009/10/22/a-slight-clerical-error/

October 23, 2009 at 10:02 pm | Reply
Hey Meaghan,
This may not be the thread to ask this but I was just curious why Charlotte Jean Loomis (1972) in not on Charley..she seems to only be on Doe…..

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1206dfnj.html

Meaghan Says:

October 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm | Reply
Because there is no LE contact listed.

and:

Lisa Says:

October 24, 2009 at 1:02 am | Reply
Thanks for answering! I didn’t notice that about no LE listed, wonder why…. I remember now that is one of your requirements. There was a thread recently about her on websleuths which made me think of her.

Justin Says:

October 24, 2009 at 2:26 am | Reply
Regarding Charlotte Lewis, two years ago, I contacted Jerry Nance, her case manager with the NCMEC about her, which is how I got her NCMEC number which I submitted to the Doe Network. He said that he tries every six months to get her in the NCIC as a missing person, but they never do. He said if that ever happens, she will definitely get a webpage with the NCMEC.

Justin Says:

October 24, 2009 at 2:29 am | Reply
Charlotte Loomis. LOOMIS. Sorry.

I don't find any current or archived articles for Charlotte but that means nothing really.

Off Topic: I think we need to contact LE in that area first and ask if there is still a missing persons case for Charlotte.

We've discovered on these subforums other children that were reported missing and later found. Although they weren't listed on Doe that I recall.

Hopefully, she isn't missing and there was a miscommunication somewhere. Given her age, she if still alive, she would not have the surname Loomis at this time anyway because IMHO there is a very good possibility she may have married.

If she is still missing, then we need to work to get her in the Charley Project and see if we can get a reporter to cover her story.

If she is missing she has been missing close to 38 years now. Come home soon.

http://www.eatontownnj.com/police/

I am on quite a bit of a difference time zone from the east coast. By the time I can call during the day, it is quite late in the afternoon or early evening on the East Coast.

I will try to find the correct person to speak to at this LE station. I can't promise a time frame though. It's a big time difference.

Charlotte is most definitly still missing, I spoke with two of her sisters and LE. Still working on actually locating the police report. As it seems with many cases that are before computer times, it might have been purged. Hoping to breathe new life into this case!

Following on from this post:

Ok I am trying to think how this all went. Charlottes mother (Rose Laura Dinnan) (12/10/1927-10/13/04) was married 3 times, her maiden name was Morris. She first married a Burton Loomis they had 5 kids. In order of who came first- Carol, Dwane, Larry, David, Lynette. Burton passed away and Rose married Burtons brother (do not know his first name, but last name would be Loomis) they then had 3 more kids- Charlotte, Catherine, and Carton. I am not sure why this marriage ended, but she ended up marrying her third and final husband Louis Dinnan (8/9/1919-9/29/2000) and he had a child from a previous marriage (Dennis Dinnan) and then Rose had 3 more children with him- Lewis Sheridan, Ed, Lori.

As the story goes Burton was a drinker and did not get along well with Charlotte, so she went to go stay the summer with her older sister Carol (who lived with her husband on an army base in Eatontown NJ) for the summer and was returning home to go back to school. From what I can tell all the children that were born from Lynette and later would have all been in the house when Charlotte went missing. I know that Charlottes dissapearance has caused a large rift in the family. Some of the kids thought that Louis had something to do with it (mainly children who were not offspring of Louis), others felt like Carol had somthing to do with it (children of Louis). I would really like to bring some peace to this family. I think this is all of the information that I have at this time, but I can get more if needed. Let me know if you can think of any good questions to ask. I do know that there was some sort of "secret" that Rose promised to take to her grave, and she did just that. I have spoke with the center for missing and exploited children and they said that they have no "police report" and honestly they couldnt even tell me how they knew about the case. I would really like to know who started this search in the first place, because when I started asking questions, no one in the family even knew that Charlotte had a NCMEC file. I would really like to find out if a missing persons report was ever done and if so in what state/county and by whom and when did they file it? Anyone wanna help me with this??

http://www.oconnellfuneralhomes.com/obit.php?id=466

Unfortunately her sister has now passed away BUT this has provided us with the correct family history and spellings of Charlottes brothers/sisters which may be useful.

So Charlotte was flying home from her sister Carols house (now Fleming) and did not arrive. I have not been able to find out what Carols name was when Charlotte disappeared (Loomis? Fleming? something else?) nor have I been able to find out Carols husbands/boyfriends name at the time. As many family members feel that Carol has 'something to do with it' this is important information. Hopefully someone else can have a go and see if they can find anything else.

LaNette L. Smith of Hudson, WI, born into life February 26, 1951, was born peacefully into eternity at her home on November 5, 2011, after a courageous battle with esophageal cancer.

LaNette was born in Saginaw, MI to Burton and Rose (Morris) Loomis. She married Miles Smith on August 11, 1990, in Oscoda, MI, and worked at Metropolitan Medical Associates in St. Paul, MN. LaNette enjoyed traveling, spending time with close friends, planting spring flowers and watching the leaves change in the fall.

She is survived by her husband of twenty-one years, Miles; daughter Tamara (Jake) VanCleve of Greenview, IL; son Richard (Dianna) Hall of Colorado Springs, CO; grandson Dakoda VanCleve of Greenview, IL; brothers DeWaine (Maryanne) Loomis of Vidor, TX, Larry (Diane) Loomis of Green Bay, WI, David (Diane) Loomis of Alaska, Carl Loomis of Oscoda, MI, Lou (Melinda Hunter) Dinnan of Iron River, WI, and Ed (Ness) Dinnan of Oscoda, MI; sisters Carol Fleming of Indianapolis, IN, Cathy McCarty of Oscoda, MI, Laurie (David) McCord of East Tawas, MI, and Charlotte Loomis (missing). She is further survived by numerous nieces, nephews and cousins.

LaNette was preceded in death by her parents, Burton and Rose, sisters Direen and Gayle, first husband Thomas Hall, and several other beloved family members.

OK, Carol has also just passed away...
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/indystar/obituary.aspx?n=carole-fleming&pid=155445298#fbLoggedOut

Carole Fleming

68, of Indianapolis passed away January 10, 2012. She was born August 31, 1943 in Flint, Michigan to Burton and Rose Loomis.

She is survived by her brothers, DeWayne (Mary Ann) Loomis, Larry (Diane) Loomis, Dave (Diane) Loomis, Carlton Loomis, Lou (Mindy Hunter) Dinnan and Eddie (Ness) Dinnan; sisters, Cathy McCarty and Laurie (Dave) McCord. Carole was preceded in death by her parents; her husband, Alvin (Bud) Fleming and sisters, Lanette Smith, Direen Loomis and Charlotte Loomis.

So her husband was Alvin (Bud) Fleming who has also passed away in 2008...

http://flannerbuchanan.tributes.com/show/Alvin-Bud-Fleming-83619163

Alvin Bud Fleming 55, Indianapolis, died May 30, 2008. He was a machinist, setup and operate group leader for Magnode Corp. for 18 years. He was a U.S. Marine Corp. veteran and a member of UAW Machinist Local. He is survived by wife, Carole M. (Loomis) Fleming; brothers, Michael L. Fleming, Tony L. Emerson and Ronald L. Wilson; step-mother, Dolly Fleming.

So although not 100% certain, given that Charlotte went to stay with her sister/husband on an Army base we can assume that Charlotte was with Carol and Alvin (Bud) Fleming on the 1st September 1972 and they were the last 'known' people to see her alive - as they were putting her on a plane in New Jersey to fly to Detroit.

I think I've been though every Carol Fleming in the world ever lol!

If anyone else is thinking she might have stolen her sisters ID and run away I've already investigated that. Now working on Alvin Flemings female family members.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donwhoolery
Back